Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Ok, Malenia is going up there with Manus and the twin tigers on the dartboard of Souls bosses I'll never beat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Gologle posted:

Why would I ever alter my gear to get rid of my cape? Capes are badasssss

The only equipment I've really wanted to adjust is Godfrey's Elden Lord Crown, which for some reason comes with his Guy Fieri hair. I just want the crown!

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Is it just me, or are the higher level sorceries kind of garbage? At least, as a spellsword, I find it hard for any sorcery to be more useful than either Pebble or just falling back to Moonveil. FP consumption is huge for maybe 10% more damage than I can do in the same amount of time with a couple Pebbles.

Are there any sorceries worth getting for a spellsword besides Pebble? Keep in mind that I already have a source of physical and slashing damage in Moonveil, so Rock Sling and Carian Slicer aren't very useful.

Adula's Moonblade, Loretta's Greatbow, Glintstone Icecrag, and Meteor (this kills big bosses dead fast) were mainstays for my high level sorcerer.

Stars of Ruin being a fire and forget tracking spell was something I kept on hand too

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 11, 2022

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Harrow posted:

Unless I missed something, Ranni admits to stealing the Rune of Death, but that's all she said she did.

Rogier's quest reveals that she used the Rune of Death to perform the rite that empowered the assassins' daggers. She stole the rune, empowered the assassins, and used Godwyn's death to rid herself of her body as step one of her apotheosis. Her keeping the assassin ringleader in an Evergaol on her secret plateau and siccing them on the loose ends of her inner circle at the end of her quest seem to support this?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Harrow posted:

Back to this, though, one thing that doesn't make sense to me is why would Ranni send assassins to kill Iji? Blaidd I kind of get--she had to know that, given his apparent origin, he'd be compelled to harm her--but why Iji? She even tells you, when she thinks she isn't going to see you again, to tell Iji and Blaidd she loves them, and there's no real indication that she's lying about that.

Makes me wonder if the Black Knife Assassins aren't under her control anymore, and maybe want revenge against her for locking away their leader or something.

The assassins being independently minded does make sense, maybe them desperately trying to stop Ranni from achieving godhood when it's already too late? She really should've kept Adula back at Three Sisters

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

End of Sellen quest line spoiler question: I'm at the choice to assist or oppose Sellen, and I'm not sure which option is more worthwhile for me. I'm doing the Ranni ending, so I'm loyal to the royal family. I'm also a spellsword/hybrid melee-mage, so going heavy on the sorceries isn't really what I'm doing. The Azur and Lusat sets don't look that great, and the Eccentric set is probably fine, but not amazing. With all this in mind, is there any reason I should assist Sellen over Jerren?

The ending of Sellen's quest is incredible if you help her, you get more stuff and aren't locked out of respec or anything

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i think Omens, like the Minor Erdtrees, are a sign that the Erdtree isn't properly / fully immortal and is attempting to propagate itself (since the "horns" are pretty obviously roots/branches). the problem with this theory is that Morgott and Mogh's births (among others) obviously predate the Shattering and the Minor Erdtrees (at least) didn't come into existence until then

it's possible the mere existence of the Rune of Death was enough to let the curse occasionally manifest but ehhh

i feel like i'm missing something

I think it has to do with the Crucible of Life, which the Crucible Knight armor mentions as a "primordial form" of the Erdtree. The Crucible spells say all life was "blended together" in the Crucible, and its why the knights grow tails and breathe fire, and probably is the ancestor of the grafting magic the Golden Lineage still clings to. The move from the Crucible of Life to the more orderly Erdtree as Marika/Radagon cements their power seems to coincide with Godfrey and the knights getting kicked out, but remnants of the Crucible seem to still manifest in Omens, the Misbegotten, and grafting.

That's my take, anyway

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Going through Raya Lucaria as a caster in NG+ with all my tools and mimic, how on earth did casters deal with this place at level?? Like man I thought it was rough as a melee class but these mother fuckers seem even worse as a caster

You get yourself an Int scaling sword and learn to stab. I was really glad I came across the Carian knight's sword before I went in

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Ok, there is a talking jar in Jarburg now who told my postgame character that don't have what it takes to be Potentate of Jarburg

the jars will PAY

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Technically, they imprisoned said Near Dead Dumbledore because she's one of the people who did in fact go mad, but it's unrelated to the Shattering and instead because her husband dumped her and she took it poorly.

I think the Juvenile Robes imply the academy wizards are using her to rebirth themselves over and over and live forever too?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Eggnogium posted:

I thought she was trying to rebirth Ranni in a new body.

A lot of the Raya Lucarian robes reference them losing their memories from living too long, which seems to be a side effect of the rebirthing process. Locking Rennala up and keeping her on reincarnation duty 24/7 makes sense to me for the why there, but I may be reaching

Raya Lucarian Robes posted:

Robe worn by Raya Lucaria's magic scholars.
Those who dedicate themselves to the study of glintstones formed from starry amber receive this modest yet elegant deep blue garb along with their vows of virtue and austerity.
But with extended life, one is apt to forget old vows.

Juvenile Scholar Robe posted:

Robe worn by young academy scholars, the juveniles birthed anew by the amber egg of Queen Rennala, the head of Raya Lucaria Academy.

Yet their rebirth is not without imperfections, and thus do they repeat the process, eventually becoming utterly dependent upon it.

Rebirth is as sleep to them, and with each awakening, memory fades into oblivion.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Snake Maze posted:

No, there's just the one. If Melina is around when you go to visit the three fingers she'll talk to you at the grace before it and beg you not to, and the next grace you rest at afterwards she leaves and says she'll kill you if you ever become lord, but that's the last you ever see of her - as far as I'm aware there's never any followup

She will show up in an extension of the normal Frenzy ending, on her way to kill you

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

So here are a couple of my called shots on the the DLC:

-Gloam-eyed Queen and her Godskin cult, shes getting name dropped almost as hard as Ludwig or Artorias. I dont buy the stuff about her being Ranni, seems like the most obvious dlc bait in the world.

-Alabaster and Onyx Lords, these guys seem to have cultists summoning them from another plane, seems like a slam dunk to make an incursion onto their turf

-More Frenzied Flame stuff, not as likely as the others but a personal hope of mine, I want to see the Flame in its full glory not just in a few weirdos scattered around the world

I would also guess that there might be something up with the Albinaurics and Miquella, but with the Haligtree already in the game I'm not sure what it would be. Both seem pretty ripe for some kind of expansion though

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Why are there two races called Albinaurics. There’s the skinny pale humans and then there are the frog people. Both are called albinaurics. Was that a mistake or is there some LoOoRe reason

The frog people are "second-generation," probably wizards trying to make a more servile strain of them?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Ghaz posted:

maybe they realized that a bunch simpering old men was really killing the vibe so they decided they'd rather have some cute frog dudes instead?

I gathered that "albunaric" was just a blanket term for "artificial lifeform", so just assumed that the frog guys and old guys had different creators?

It seems unclear? It might be the Golden Order cracking down on imitations of human life too, since they apparently lead lives "untouched by the grace of the Erdtree." Also, a lot of the human ones seem to have tried to escape to the Haligtree to get away from oppression, the frog ones might be replacements for the runaways too.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

gonna get this in before anyone else goonsays it:
yes there’s lusat’s staff that technically gets higher int scaling than the regal scepter, but it makes all magic casting cost 15% more fp which in my book absolutely does not make up for the modicum of spell boost you get
and yes there’s a death staff which technically can get higher boost than the regal scepter because it scales with both intelligence AND faith. it does so at both *80* int and *80* faith and if you think that’s a practical use case you’re absolutely insane.

The Carian staff also has a neat weapon art that hits surprisingly hard if enemies try to get into melee range of your brittle nerd body

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You can buy that spinny-weapon ash from Rogier and stick it on anything you like. Including on other non-somber staffs!
apparently its multi-hitting thing works great for applying bleed/frost/rot as well? i haven't tried it myself

The most important thing I've seen it do is instantly stun Malenia when she got in melee range of the Mimic Tear I had on magic artillery duty

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 25, 2022

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

She and others are a petal of fate stemming from a certain person and she is striving to be her own woman in spite of these forces, Gowry is probably suspect in his motivations. I have no idea why she willingly removed her needle to die beyond it being necessary for her to do so to give the player an opt out

Gowry is a Rot-prawn in disguise, you find this out if you kill him midway through the quest. He wants Millicent to "bloom" to make sure the rot continues to spread and colonize the world. Why the needle is helping her bloom instead of holding the rot at bay isn't something I'm sure about though

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

That's news to me, but if Malenia had a needle in her and it being broken in battle is what caused the first bloom, it would make sense that he would push her to engage in battle after getting a needle? He wasn't expecting her to be successful thanks to my using a jar cannon to throw her sisters over the edge I guess, so Millicent was left to suffer what Malenia would've if she had been victorious?

The item you get if you betray Millicent says that betrayal is what triggered her bloom (and if you go to where she died, there will be a big red flower if you betrayed her). It could be that the needle keeps the rot from killing her, but major stresses will overwhelm the needle, though that doesn't matter if the bloom is imminent.

Harrow posted:

It's not quite that simple with Gowry, I don't think. He's definitely using the bodies of the Kindred of Rot, but I don't know if he is one himself, because if you kill him and just see a rot bug, he'll come back as soon as you reload the area while taunting you about how it's pointless to kill him. He's something powerful, whatever he is, and possessing Kindred of Rot to communicate with the player and Millicent.

I looked at some of his dialogue, and:

"In the age of the Elden Ring, and Queen Marika, the precious Empyrean was born. A new god to forge a new Order.
Since Malenia fought Radahn, and the great scarlet flower blossomed in Aeonia, I have dedicated myself to her.
And to the resplendence of the Order of Rot. The cycle of decay and rebirth."

He does seem to be a genuine and powerful devotee of the Rot, yes. Facilitating more blooms, despite the objections of the avatars of Rot themselves, does seem to be in his wheelhouse.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

What kind of monster would do that tho

You get a really good talisman if you do

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

kazil posted:

Do any of the legacy dungeons have stakes? I don't remember any in Stormveil or Volcano Manor, and the only one I can think of in Redmaine is the one on the beach for Radahn.

I think Rennala just has a poo poo checkpoint.

If you kill the wizards and and Pumpkin Head that are rolling the boulder down the stairs, they don't respawn and you can go that way with no opposition

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Elden Ring has elves too Nox :ssh:

The Onyx and Alabaster Lords have pretty prominent pointy ears too

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Moonveil's specials will also tear Alecto apart

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

Elanora's Poleblade seems like it would fit nicely. It's relatively close by in Altus and killing Elanora early is pretty doable. You gotta get past the Precipice though/ or get abducted by the Murder bot in Lucaria's basement

I've been power-stancing it with a Bloody Twinblade, it's very fun, especially when combined with the Dragon Communion seal and incantations

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I think I’ve only played with them after the buff, but they seem good and fast to me, very killy

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Man the Elden Beast and Radagon really are just hard counters to Arcane builds, huh? Is there a good way to use Arcane to kill them fast? I don’t want to have to respec now that I’ve gotten this character so far

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

You don't even need to waste the levels, there's a talisman that will just give +5 Faith

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

You should really take a look at the sword sorceries, especially Adula’s Moonblade if you’re fighting Malenia

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Between the Elysian Fields vibe of the art, the ghostly graves and the possibly deathblight infected Erdtree, I’m guessing this might take place in the Erdtree’s equivalent of an afterlife- where souls go after their nasty tree burials but before reincarnation. Miquella could be there trying to get to the source of Godwin’s corruption or something along those lines

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

SlimGoodbody posted:

I have had this game for YEARS and this is my EXACT experience. That game ends at Cleric Beast. There is nothing beyond it.

Having to grind and farm to get your basic gameplay loop consumables back was an insanely terrible game design choice.

Between the Beast and Gascoigne Bloodborne can be really hard to break into, it was for me too

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

No Dignity posted:

Also that twink with the red hair and fire magic calling someone 'mother', that's proto-Radagon, calling it now

His snake and fire magic make me think he's involved with Rykard

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I'm glad the chariot dungeon that has the Tree Sentinel armor is cheesable at least, but the one on Mt. Gelmir with the giant finger weapon and several suits of armor is always a nightmare

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

Stopped using the Nagakiba in late game and switched to Bolt of Gransax after pumping it up - this is more like it.

Been doing NG+ with it, it's a drat railgun

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

McCoy Pauley posted:

I must be on my fifth or sixth playthrough but am at the part that always gives me fits -- progressing the Seluvis quest far enough along to buy the dung eater puppet.

I've started Ranni's quest and I've talked to Seluvis in person and he's given me the potion. I've mentioned this is Gideon Ofnir but kept the potion (haven't talked to Nepheli yet). I've discovered Seluvis's creepy basement of dolls. I've also gotten the Dung eater out of his prison, but not yet been back to the lake by the Capitol where Crab Bro buys the farm and I kill the Dung Eater.

Seluvis won't talk to me except to tell me not to bother him until I've taken care of things with the potion. I can't get him to acknowledge the basement of dolls (or even better, sell me one), nor can I lie to him and say I gave the poison to Nepheli.

What do I need to do in order to get the quest to move forward? Talk to Nepheli? Something else? I don't want to mess this up and lose access to the Dung Eater puppet.

Go let the Dung Eater invade you at the lake, beat him, and then go back to the sewers and potion him. Then talk to Seluvis again

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

You can always spice it up by turning the world into poop or legalizing skeletons

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

verbal enema posted:

Those count for the cheevo?

Skeletons I got your back!

As long as you sit in the chair, any variant is good, yep

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Ariong posted:

Imagine if Boc could dye cloth.

Imagine if he could peel Godfrey's scalp off his crown

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

If anything, Pidia is too much of a person

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Obligatum VII posted:

Speaking of Varre, did they ever change the fact that completing his questline gives you the blood eyes and they overwrite every other eye effect like chowing down on too many dragon hearts? Like, can you complete his quest these days without losing access to the dragon eyes?

You can go switch to the eye effect you want at the magic mirror I'm pretty sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Siding with Sellen gets you more gear and the funniest sequence of dialogue in the game, so I know what I do