Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have little to no familiarity with this game even with it basically only just being announced but I have no idea how the Game of Thrones guy figures into this. He wrote it? It just looks like more Dark Souls, which to be fair is enough to be worth picking up, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I know absolutely nothing about Elden Ring and I would like to stay that way, but Dark Souls and especially Bloodborne loving Went Places and if Elden Ring gets batshit in any similar way then I might get it and go in completely blind.

Do not tell me if it does or doesn’t but I sure hope Miyazaki went full sicko mode.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m not the kind to go nuts over graphics, as long as I can play the game and it’s not a glitchy mess I’m happy.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm above minimum specs in everything except GPU, I have an RX 570 vs the minimum RX 580. Tempted to roll the dice and see if I can play it on PC anyway.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Goddammit, I bought the game and am going to play it. :negative:

I wonder if KBM will be good enough or if I'll need to break out the DS4.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don't play Soulsborne games very often, and I've never been very good at them.

I'm tempted to play as Wretch anyway. Is that a bad idea?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jerusalem posted:

Feel like I could spend all day in this character creator :stare:

I have zero imagination for these so I just made some basic decisions and had Similar Face do the work for me.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So far, this is actually pretty good. Surprisingly closer to BotW than I expected, though I don’t think it reaches THOSE heights. I’m definitely really bad at Soulsborne gameplay, though.

I went Astrologer and I’m fine if I can get some hits in but if the enemy has a shield or if there’s more than one enemy I am megafucked.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah there was a video I watched before release that went over how combat is different and that people were likely having issues because they were R1ing all the time like you would in a Souls game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXsFQDnqxBs

Hmmm. So it sounds like when I’m in melee mode, I should be doing more heavy attacks, and blocking/guard countering instead of the usual Soulsborne party timing game (which I’m useless at). I’ll have to practice that next time I get in game.

Heavy attacks are still kinda pointless when using magic, though.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

PC chat. Playing on low with an RX 570, a Ryzen 5 2600, and 32 GB. Game mostly runs decently but sometimes dips and stutters. Not very well optimized. I might update drivers next, see if that helps.

Vintersorg posted:

You have next to no HP and way too much int if you're still early in the game.

Heath posted:

This too, you're built like a distance mage but you're equipped like a melee fighter

Hah, poo poo, I’m going for something similar. I started as Astrologer and I’ve been mostly spamming spells and finishing enemies off with a short sword when they’re low on health/if they’re magic-resistant.

So I shouldn’t necessarily be stacking Int? Is there any value in a hybrid magic-damage/physical-damage build?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Any tips for someone who started as Astrologer? Kinda seems like the game boils down to spamming magic and hoping enemies are dead by the time they’re close enough to hit you, and I’m half tempted to respec into something more dynamic. Am I also expected to get some melee going?

And yes, I’ve been boosting HP and stamina.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I sat down at a grace and immediately left to take care of something else, and when I came back the level up NPC was apparently talking to me and asked me something. Now I’m in some weird place with a big table. What did I miss?

Jordan7hm posted:

Yeah you generally are going to want to do some melee too.

On my astrologer I’m using magic to plink away enemies as they come at me and then switching to a big rear end sword for close combat fighting.

👍

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Running away is a perfectly valid strategy and you should never feel bad about it. Early-ish game spoiler: I got past the big gate-pass with a bunch of archers and a large troll I could hardly damage by just sprinting past them on my horse. I kept going and found a grace and now I never have to think about them again. In fact, I think that’s the intended solution, cause it’s very stupid otherwise.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sounds like maybe don’t be in the castle.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Babe Magnet posted:

my preferred way to go about it is I'll plow through an area once killing everything at least once (to make sure I loot everything) and then never touch it again lol

like in your example I made the ogre kill everybody for me and then bit him in the ankles until he died

enemy in-fighting is super useful in this game

Why even bother, though? If an area can be skipped and it’s not a boss, dungeon, or has good loot, it’s just runes you can get elsewhere. :v: Maybe I shoulda rolled a thief or something instead.

TheMostFrench posted:

Astrologer got a lot easier for me once I found a shield that absorbed 100% physical damage. That way, your stamina bar becomes an extension of your health for those attacks. I found a crystal sword which scales off of int, and has a different moveset to the starting shortsword, but it needs less common materials to upgrade.

Ooh, I’ll keep an eye out for that. Is it in Limgrave or another part of the map?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I found a medium shield with 100% physical guarding, but it requires 14 strength and weighs 5.5. Is there a more accessible 100% physical shield with a lower stat requirement anywhere?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

VictualSquid posted:

I have one with 10 Str. Beast Crest. I think it was in a treasure chest in a solider camp, iirc east of where you get the jellyfish, or maybe the horse.

Where jellyfish :saddowns:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Also, is our multiplayer password all caps?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

VictualSquid posted:

One bonfire north of where you get the horse.

It's been long enough that I don't remember which one that is. Was that Agheel Lake North?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have never hated dogs so much.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get/buy more sorceries in the early game?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

There are two early npcs who sell sorceries, one to the north of the starting zone and one to the east-southeast

More specific details
#1 Head north along the dirt trail that starts from the broken bridge with an old lady on it

#2: Hidden in one of the enemy-filled named ruins that show up on your map. Not the absolute closest ones, it's a bit further out.

Thanks, I got the second one! The first one I’m a little confused by. I don’t see any dirt paths leading away from the finger-reading old lady, and the bridge is down. From the old lady’s position, which way do I head?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I got norovirus the weekend this released and I haven’t been able to play since Friday. :negative:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Okay, I have to ask. Are there any hidden paths in the game that are revealed by attacking? Am I getting punked by these messages because I'm thorough, or because I'm stupid?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Harrow posted:

There are. Catacombs frequently have them, for example.

But then why was this message with like 3.5k approvals a dud :(

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

a kitten posted:

Than reminds me, I've never used the password system in these games before and I have LLJK and lljk in two of those slots. It seems to be working because I see extra glowy white messages and bloodstains work (well, it seems like they all work now on PC anyway)

But I get system messages like "someone in the group [kanji symbol] has defeated the shard bearer" instead of lljk or something appearing there. Is that normal behavior? Did I sneak into a jp group by accident somehow?

What snake maze said. It's not kanji, those would be 一 二 三 四 etc.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is level 26 too low for the first boss? The one in the castle. I went off and explored most of the rest of the accessible areas and leveled up a bunch, but I still don't do a whole lot of damage and I crumple just as easily as I did at first. Is this one of those cases where level doesn't matter much?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Harrow posted:

Yeah level isn't really the main thing here, though getting more Vigor never hurts. You should make sure you've upgraded your weapon a bit, but otherwise it might just be a case of learning the boss. Make sure you're using spirit summons, they can really help take the heat off you.

Have you done the southern zone yet, the Weeping Peninsula? That's another path you can take if you're still feeling too weak.

I completely forgot about the jellyfish. That time was close, but I managed to win. I don't think I learned that boss at all, but hey, it worked!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is there a better sorcery than Glintstone Pebble before or during the castle? It's honestly pretty weak now. I spent almost my entire FP meter fighting three enemies.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:cripes: Am I supposed to be fighting these knights in the castle? They take off like 1/3 of my bar each hit and I barely do any damage, but it's hard to stealth past them.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Walrus posted:

I mean... you are. Sorcery has always been a cool alternate playstyle in these games but it's basically a way to avoid engaging with the Actual Game while still getting to see the sights. It has its own set of challenges ofc but nothing like needing to master a boss fight in melee range.

You say this and yet these fuckers are constantly in my face and I gotta dodge dodge doooodge

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Should I target Godrick or try playing untargeted? I find it difficult to dodge one way or another against his attacks. I've always had this problem in 3D games with dodges, they're very finicky and pixel-perfect.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ohhhhh my god I beat Godrick, hell yes.

I honestly don't know what to do with this character. Sorcery is alright but not very exciting or interesting. I guess I naturally ended up kinda spellsword-y in that I have use a staff, a short sword, a warpick, and a heater shield.

Any tips for that kind of play style, and what stats to go with next? My current limitations are basically "magic is kinda weak but I'm too squishy and crap to go full melee".

The Walrus posted:

try light equip load for more iframes and dodging *into* his attacks. you want to be locked on unless you're really good at controlling the camera.

the game definitely reads inputs so a good trick with groups sometimes is starting a swing then changing lockon targets

Dodging into attacks is something I need to remember to do more often, I sometimes do but often I panic and just mash side dodge.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Eggnogium posted:

I use the melee sword spell and switch off to range when needed. It feels like a good balance of cheese and combat. I think range is not that OP on a lot of bosses in this game because they’re so aggressive but great for getting through mobs easily. Currently getting my strength up to 12 to use the moonveil. But since Godrick I’ve mostly gone all in on int, up to 30 now.

You mean Scholar's Armament? Or is there a different sword sorcery?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What determines when a boss aggros you? I've been trying to use summons to distract bosses so I can sit back and sling spells, but the boss just turns around and starts hitting me instead. Is that not a viable strategy?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I need to do more damage for Loretta. I've got an Astrologer's Staff+5. Are there any better weapons for sorcery out there?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Late game: do I really need to beat Draconic Tree Sentinel? The game is pushing me to go to a particular place and I can't find any other way in.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Vermain posted:

yep, unfortunately

if you're struggling to get in, you can try horseback archery with poison arrows and an equipment set that's optimized for lightning damage negation. the fireballs are easy to dodge from long range, so the only real danger is not being able to time the dodge on the lightning strikes

edit: there's also an extreme cheese method if you get hard stuck: get enough faith to use the poison mist incantation (which you get from a teardrop scarab southeast of the castle morne rampart) and max out your FP flasks. summon any spirit and then run behind draconic tree sentinel to the fog gate. once you're at the fog gate, quit out, then back in and he'll be deaggroed. you can then stand there and spam poison mist until he dies and he shouldn't aggro

Judge Tesla posted:

There's no way around him, you gotta take him down.

Hm. I've got two runes so far: Godrick, and Rennala. The game's pushing me to the tree now. Should I be doing something else instead? Like how in BotW, you can go to Hyrule Castle way earlier than you should?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

If I want to summon someone for a boss, I use a Furlcalling Finger Remedy, right? Am I just unlucky and no one's got any signs down for (late game) Starscourge Radahn?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

There's a back way in but it's pretty well hidden and requires 2-3 other boss fights in zones you may not have even visited/found yet:
Defeat Radahn to enter Nokron, then from there defeat the Valiant Gargoyles to get to the waterfall and access Deeproot Depths, then in Deeproot defeat Fia's Champions, then finally take the portal in the Champions' boss room and you'll end up just inside Leyndell, right past the Draconic Sentinel.

I think this also works to get into the capitol without needing two great runes but by the time you can beat all those bosses you can easily stomp Godrick's face in anyways.

Didn't read the post closely cuz spoilers but I did end up following that particular questline, hence the question above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

f#a# posted:

That boss is like between 30 and 50 percent of the way through the game FYI.

:shittypop:

quote:

When I did it, summon signs dried up in seconds. I think everyone just wants to summon for him. You also might be under or over leveled.

Also, I think you're better off doing that fight "solo" due to his high damage tending to one shot people.

Ugh, I hate horseback fights. I'll try, I guess.