Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

AnEdgelord posted:

lol at broken realms having battalions be the only content some armies got and then immediately throwing them in the trash in the next edition

it's kind of hosed up that GW put so much time and effort into 4 books featuring different factions, only to blow up all of their work for no reason in the next edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

AnEdgelord posted:

some armies got redone warscrolls and new units so they aren't totally worthless but if you're somebody like FEC, OBR or Tzeentch then you have got to feel cheated after buying your broken realms book

*puts down my Glottkin book*

sorry, i wasn't paying attention

edit:

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

anecdotally 3.0 has actually paused my entrance into AOS because the Bone Boiz, the army I was looking to pick up, look like they got absolutely shafted by the changes to CP and list construction. I wanna see how it all shakes out.

i'm holding off on any more AOS stuff because my friend is absolutely insisting we cut our 48" gaming mat to 44" so we can play on a "regulation" table and its pissing me off

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

They want you to ride out the full $60, rather than getting your model and then cancelling. Can't dispute the charge this way.

What will be interesting is if they open both models for purchase with any sub level. i.e. if I only sub for two months, will GW email me a year later and say "Hey - wanna buy these for $50 each?" Which seems like something they might be prone to.

Guy who works in credit cards here:

That isn't how disputing charges works and GW showing that they sent the model to their payment processor would be enough to find the dispute in favor of the merchant

If they're getting rid of the current app and are expecting me to pay five times as much as I currently pay for the same item, I probably won't be interested in AOS unless my armies get some huge overhaul years down the line

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

I meant disputing it with GW to the point where they just write it off because they don't wanna deal with your rear end anymore.

i dont think a retailer that has an international distribution network makes business decisions factoring in the question of "what if our payment processor gets DDOS'd by dorks who want a free mini?"

edit:

JBP posted:

I don't know that a major streaming co would want these crappy cartoons.

isn't the whole reason the animators of this stuff got connected with GW because they went viral on youtube?

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jun 25, 2021

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

It comes down to this: GW is a business that answers to shareholders. If WFB was "doing well" then GW wouldn't change it because it's making the shareholders money. However, if WFB is adversely impacting profits in other areas (40K, paints, Black Library, whatever) GW is going to drop or retool WFB into something that (hopefully) makes money for the shareholders. Publicly traded businesses do not exist to produce product lines that lose money, no matter what nerds on 4Chan and Reddit think they're owed.

Please note that I enjoy WFB, and am currently building a 6th ed Vampire Counts army. I like WFB, but even I can admit the game was not doing well and, as much as GW screwed up the launch, AoS is doing a lot of things right.

you can pretty much point to the complete 180 of AOS as to how WFB could've worked. pretty much everything the WFB community was asking for (more streamlined rules, more affordable armies, more frequent updates & errata) have been implemented over the past couple years in AOS 2.0

saying "it's just business, sorry folks" doesn't work when the replacement to WFB was so awful it tanked the stock price and got most of the executive suite behind the change sacked

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

JBP posted:

AOS1 was extremely funny and I'm still glad they decided to roll improv into the rules.

my AOS story is doing a demo game with my dwarves at a GW store, saying "wow, this seems really clunky and it kind of sucks" and being told if i don't like it, i don't have to play it

i didn't pick up the game again until halfway through 2.0

edit: WFB getting blown up might have been a business decision, who knows. we'll never know unless GW releases that kind of info. the important things are:

1) its replacement was pretty clearly big "ideas guy" executive energy
2) the replacement almost tanked the company
3) once the remaining c-suite got desperate for ideas and they actually listened to their game devs & the community, they created a relatively healthy game that, except for a few major flaws, was a massive upgrade to its predecessor
4) if #3 happened with WFB, none of this would've happened and we'd all be playing WFB skirmish or whatever

edit edit: i guess after mapping it out, saying "it's just business" kind of works. the only main difference is the c-suite was sacked and the company started listening to their customers. normally, the c-suite gets a golden parachute and the business gets scavenged by the venture capitalists

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 1, 2021

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Nebalebadingdong posted:

blowing up the setting was bold and unexpected, and i loved it

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

Sigmarines rule, sorry brettonia lovers.

It comes down to this: GW is a business that answers to shareholders. If the AOS setting was "doing well" then GW wouldn't change it because it's making the shareholders money. However, if the AOS setting is adversely impacting profits in other areas (40K, paints, Black Library, whatever) GW is going to drop or retool the AOS setting into something that (hopefully) makes money for the shareholders. Publicly traded businesses do not exist to produce product lines that lose money, no matter what nerds on 4Chan and Reddit think they're owed.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Talas posted:

I'm a little late to the sales-chat but there's actually a chart of the Top 5 Non-Collectible Miniature Lines that reflects sales based on interviews with retailers, distributors, and manufacturers. Warhammer 40k has been #1 for a while:

https://icv2.com/articles/markets/view/41010/top-5-non-collectible-miniature-games-spring-2018

https://icv2.com/articles/markets/view/45370/top-5-non-collectible-miniature-games-fall-2019

https://icv2.com/articles/markets/view/47882/top-5-non-collectible-miniature-lines-fall-2020

Still, once it reached the list back in 2018, AoS has been a constant presence among the top 5 in sales.

Now, look at this one from 2015:

https://icv2.com/articles/markets/view/32096/top-5-non-collectible-miniature-lines-spring-2015

Or this one from 2014:

https://icv2.com/articles/games/view/30000/top-5-non-collectible-miniature-lines-summer-2014

The last time Warhammer Fantasy appeared in the top 5 sales was in the summer 2013 report:

https://icv2.com/articles/games/view/27069/top-5-non-collectible-miniature-lines-summer-2013

Now, there's not to say that it wasn't selling, but just take a look at the other games on that list and you'll see why it was worrying to GW. Yes, there was a lot of mismanaging, but I'm still in the opinion that ending Fantasy was the right choice, really badly done, but that's another conversation.

This is helpful but doesn't really explain why they had to blow up fantasy instead of just do to fantasy what they ended up doing to AoS

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

neaden posted:

AoS is a better setting for a wargame then the Old World. The setting is more malleable so you can feel more free to create your own dudes without worrying where they fit in the map. It also makes it easier to explain why any two armies are fighting where in the Old World they might be on separate continents. Since it's also not as tied with a historically inspired setting it's also more diverse racially and gender wise where in the Old World nonwhite races were more just of the side of the map and not a playable faction. For all that people make fun of Stormcast as being sigmarines they give a showcase faction that lets you be more of a straightforward good guy rather then fascist child soldiers.

I thought they were reworking the setting because the whole interdimensional bubble thing was getting too weird for the lore?

Also, "these guys are from the fire dimension and they travelled through the wyrmcore tunneldepths to raid the glitterdelve gemhills of the metal world" seems more complicated than "this army got on a boat"

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Chainclaw posted:

I don't know why I'm surprised, but it still baffles me how poorly organized these launches are. I assumed they would have all this ready to go, pre-patch the apps with the updated points and flip the switch to turn it on today. They also haven't shipped my preorder rulebook I placed 6/19. I thought preorders were supposed to be release date delivery?

You see we need to get rid of the app that works just fine so we can give you a more expensive app that does the same thing

If this doesn't make sense, just know that this is a business decision and GW isn't subject to the whims of some nerd :smug:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

space marines also have the benefit of having a dedicated fanbase for over 20 years. sigmarines were backwards engineered to be space marines by people who didn't understand why space marines were popular to begin with. like i don't know a lot about 40k but they've had time to build up a story with them. there's all sorts of chapters that play differently and have wildly different identities. for sigmarines you have the blizzard NPC model approach where they just dunked the same "man with hammer" in different coats of paint and called it a day

edit:

berzerkmonkey posted:

I think some of it may have to do with a lot of people weren't as receptive to the Krule Boyz. Personally, I would have liked to see classic Orruks / Iron Jawz bolstered by new units, rather than a reimagining of orcs to be bolted onto greenskins.

People love their orcs / orks, and I don't think they care for the aesthetic changing.
maybe if the orc players bought more models, they'd be spared the same fate as the rest of the armies that didn't sell enough to be slowly phased out in favor of models with more enforceable IP rights (dwarfs, high elves, tomb kings, bretonnians, wood elves, etc)

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 19, 2021

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

tbh its kind of funny to see everyone have the same aversion to kruleboyz as they did to the orcs in the hobbit movies vs the ones in lotr, especially when the kruleboyz look just like the hobbit orcs

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

moths posted:

Some Old World news!

I've been holding off selling my old square base dwarfs but now I'm def gonna

Holding my breath for chaos but if orcs are basically confirmed, hell yeah 😎

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Crazy Ferret posted:

I love my new smug dragons.

this one is absolutely based on someone's fursona (scalesona?)

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Class Warcraft posted:

I'm thinking of selling my old Tomb King's army and could use some advice:

A) Is there any demand for this stuff anymore?
B) If so, could anyone help me figure out how to price it? I poked around on ebay and there wasn't much on there, which either indicates it's rare or no one gives a poo poo about Tomb Kings anymore (if they ever did).

yes, there's a demand

if those are the plastic tomb guard in the back, those easily go on ebay for $10/model

congrats on your free money!

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Talas posted:

If you are very patient, those prices are going to go way up when The Old World releases... or not, it's still a gamble.

i cracked open my vault of dwarf minis that i was never going to use (lots of old 6th ed metal minis, battle for skull pass sets, 7th ed plastics) and got MSRP for metal models that were heavily used and stripped of paint

if you have OOP models on the sprue, those are gold (ex. last i checked the 7th ed dwarf warriors are $80-$100/box still on the sprue). tbh, i'd sell everything now, especially bretonnia, which is bonkers and absolutely will be getting new sculpts in Old World

edit: personally, i'm keeping my old 2500 point 8th ed dwarf army for sentimental purposes and selling everything else off. bought a KO army with the funds and now have a funny money account

berzerkmonkey posted:

2) If you price a bit high, you can always come down later - you can't reverse a sale if you price something too low.

adding onto this, ebay even has a function now where if yout item goes unsold, you can toggle it to automatically relist the item for 5% less

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 30, 2021

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/11/17/become-a-lord-arcanum-and-wield-the-power-of-the-storm-in-this-new-vr-game/

VR FPS as a Stormcast vs ghosts.

Gonna be honest my first response is “that looks like a really old FPS” but VR isn’t really my thing.

this poo poo looks awful lol

edit: the way to beat this game is to use the same motion you use to pull the skull off the skeleton's head to take your $600 vr headset off and throw it in the trash

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 18, 2021

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

Yeah looks p bog standard VR to me.

if this is VR then throw VR in the trash too

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

ngl i do think its kinda funny after putting all that time and effort into the hobbit orcs, they went right back to the orcs everyone actually likes

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

It's a single model :V

Looking at all the new Swampmuck (tm) Krullebois (tm) in the new 40k Ork release

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

GIRL BRAINS posted:

Cowards at GW need to make stormvermin and plague monks 20/60

make plague monks decent again so i can fulfill my dream of a counts-as clan pestilens army using human nurgle cultists

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Dreamerdeceiver52 posted:

Thank you - here's some more pics:

how do you do your bases, friend

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Honestly, if I was living somewhere with a lot of fire, I would probably skip long beard even if that is unthinkable to average dorfs. I remember tho Chronopia had beardless dwarfs and those were disturbing to look at

I'm playing the pen & paper AOS thing and we're starting in the realm of fire. My DM and I got into an argument because I keep saying the fire realm is stupid because everything is probably on fire all of the time and he keeps telling me there's a huge ecosystem and it's very diverse

Anyways we're 3 sessions in and our settings have been "a forest that's always on fire" and "a cave under the forest that's always on fire"

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

A fun fact about the Kindling Forest. It’s not naturally on fire all the time. Like many things in fantasy settings it’s the fault of Wizards. Who summoned Fire Elementals into the forest to set it on fire, then never fixed it, so now it’s basically beyond any ones ability to put out the fire.

Anyway besides the argument are you enjoying the game?

Mechanically, I really like the d6 system they came up with. We've got a guy in our group who's literally brand new to RPG's and it's a good way to ease him into playing the game. The low barrier of entry is probably my favorite part of the game

The way you also start out as an rear end-kicker instead of starting off as a soiled fool is also p cool and has made for some p good moments so far.

That being said, I prefer low fantasy stuff, so I'm enjoying the game in spite of the setting

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

The Deleter posted:

Its the year of our lord 2023! In the spirit of (and stealing from) the 40K badcast, what's your hobby plans for the year!

I'm gonna repaint my deepkin, and try and get them up to 2000 points at last. I also want some terrain, enough to play small games at my own place if the need arises.

Will chaos dwarves into existence

Edit: will also accept a redo of the FEC range

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 2, 2023

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

moths posted:

Is that available? I've seen fan ones, but that would be amazing.

I think they're supposed to be in the old world so we'd probably see it there

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

I'd challenge anyone who thinks AOS is a better setting to sit some idiot off the street down and try to explain the setting in 2 minutes

Edit: bonus points if you do it using all the IP terms GW insists on using

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 16, 2023

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

With is kinda amazing since neither of those games plays anything like wfb or wfrp. Imho none of the warhammer computer games represent the real product as far as gameplay experience goes (well maybe Mordheim because its janky unbalanced mess)

That's incorrect.

You can send a dark elf on a pegasus zooming across the TW:W battlefield and nuke half the army with an overcasted Purple Sun just fine

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Started my first AOS games in a couple years in a narrative. My KO are toddlers in power suits.

Will "Little" Dinky Daffison and the HMS Silly Stinky fulfill their aethermilk quotas? Find out next time

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

See this is puzzling to me - probably because I have read a lot of aos books, but what is so confusing about the setting? Like the fact that Karaz-a-Karak is built inside the mountain and Barak-Urbaz hangs above one does not change the fact that they are still dwarf towns with most of the stuff that entitles.

I'm willing to bet "Karl Franz & The Empire is mustering their State Troops to fight the Orcs in Black Fire Pass" is way easier to approach than "The Excelsior Stormhost is sending their Castigators to fight the Kruleboyz at the Glittergale Crevasse" to someone that hasn't read thousands of pages of AOS lore.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

If I didn't know before who Franz is I would still be miffed. Or I probably wouldn't because both of those are "some dudes are going to fight some probably bad dudes in some place". This is not some mind-blowing concept unless one is easily confused by weird words

Just saying the volume of nounverb in AOS can be confusing to someone just trying to get into the lore. Someone generally aware of fantasy tropes can see "oh this is a dwarf and does dwarf things" and get plugged in, whereas the same person may just throw up their hands at Duardin (tm) and the Aethergold Libertarian Sky-Technocracy without giving it a chance

Also not too sure if "have you considered being less confused by weird words?" is saying what you want it to re: why people might be put off by the setting

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Blood Boils posted:

It's the 30 years war except they worship Conan the Barbarian instead of Jesus

Does this make the von Carsteins the Hapsburgs in this metaphor because I'm kinda here for that

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

grassy gnoll posted:

Isn't Settra a stormcast now, or some other ridiculous nonsense? I know Gelt is something like Balthasariusmar Siggelt, Chuckie Francis is probably Celestant Prime, and I think they spilled the beans on somebody else, too.

All I remember is that in 1.0 Settra had some rule where if you were playing him and you bent your knees, you lost

You could kick your opponent in the dick in AoS 1.0 and win the game

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Feeple posted:

As someone who really didn't pay much attention to lore until about a year ago, I can definitely understand why players where either optimistically apprehensive, or outright pissed at the worst. Part of GW's strategy is to try and get you invested in lore and hobby so you are susceptible to Sunk Cost Fallacy regarding the game. The End Times would have been a punch in the crotch to anyone invested in the outcomes of about half their factions and heroes, and even those that survived weren't always promised a good time, either.

Something also (sometimes intentionally) ignored by the people saying "I don't see the end times being that big of a deal" is this.

If you were playing the same Fantasy army for 10-20 years, only to have your favorite nation/clan/bloodline/tribe get murked off screen for the skaven/dark elf/glottkin plot device, that was a big blow. Then when AOS started, there was a huge gap in the power level and the release schedule of new stuff vs fantasy stuff. Finally, the gradual squatting of 80% of the fantasy range, either by no longer supporting the units or by making the fantasy versions useless compared to the new AOS stuff.

There's a lot of good that AOS eventually brought to the game (skirmish and objective gameplay making movement shenanigans obsolete, more affordable armies, constant balance tweaking/new releases/model refreshes, breaking up bigger armybooks to create more narratively cohesive factions etc), but all of this stuff could have been done without nuking the setting and everyone's armies.

I think it's p telling that almost everyone who is saying "I don't think them nuking fantasy was a big deal" self-admittedly didn't play the game back then itt

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

So I'm doing a narrative campaign with my Kharadron Overlords Stinky Tinky Tots. Im trying to make the battle regiment battalion in the app, which says I can have a behemoth and a war machine

When I try and put an ironclad and a frigate into the battalion, it says it's illegal because I can only have one behemoth. Looking at the warscroll, the frigate isn't a behemoth. Am I missing something?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

Behemoth isn’t a warscroll keyword, it’s a battlefield role, listed on the points list at the end of the book. Ironclads and Frigates both have the Behemoth role.

So does that mean for KO in narrative I need both war machine territories and behemoth territories to field new boats?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

FEC used to be a great summoning army (RIP Ghoul Patrol you were too good for this world)

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

I think to some extent the game is for old WHFB players who already have one or several armies in storage. So all they would need is their (possible) army book and the core book.

If that's the case it's an interesting stance for GW to take, and some might take is as an apology for End Times and AoS.

Didn't they change the base size from 20mm to 25mm? If so all of these people are knocked out

Edit: the fantasy game might as well be singing shanties with how obviously geared towards whales it is.

The chat about "can we use our old models?" Is literally the same conversation that happened when AOS was coming around. Based on how that turned out, I'm staying the hell away from it

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 12:16 on May 1, 2023

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Angry Lobster posted:

We can use base converters you know, it's just inconvenient rather than a deal breaker.

My pet theory about base sizes in Old World is that they are going to set them exactly the same as in AoS, just in their square/rectangular versions. This would allow both WFB and AoS players with relevant models to use them in the game without forcing anyone to rebase.

Hopefully they don't balance the game entirely around the new models and leave the old ones in "you can TOTALLY use these, but don't expect to win" status

Another thing that has zero precedent with Games Workshop LLC

Edit: Im avoiding it entirely, I only play one AOS a month as is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Angry Lobster posted:

It seems their business model is gonna be relaunching old kits (like the necrosphinx), modernizing some of the most dated old kits and very few new things. In my opinion, there won't be many new units excepting new special character for that timeline and the odd new unit for some rosters. In fact the only confimed new unit is a "never seen" one for Brettonia, which, to be fair, had a very limited roster by the end of 8th edition. GW is going to treat this as a specialist game so expecting more than that is dellusional.

In my case, I don't give a drat about the models. What I want is a strong ruleset and rosters so it brings together both the old timers who are playing a miriad of different rulesets atm and new players. If the rules suck, Old World, as a game, will be dead on arrival and people will buy some models to complete their collections or for painting and that's it.

It's a shame that this is completely correct and people will point to fantasy being a dead end game while Creative Assembly makes a zillion dollars on TW:W3

Everything's screaming an ultra-expensive specialist game with minimal support. These were the exact reasons why fantasy ate poo poo in the first place