Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

DrDraxium posted:

I heard of someone running a Sons of Behamet army as all Kaiju and I've never been more interested in anything tbh.

There's surely got to be a mass market Attack on Titan army crossover somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Discussion from when ToW was announced.

Which makes some good points. The main one being that "WHFB wasn't selling" seems to be a meme on the level of "William Shatner actively bullied people on the set of Star Trek and threatened to get people thrown off the show" bullshit.

I'm not sure if that first guy knows what "first hand" means: people reporting their own experiences. As he also says there's no official data, then it's absolutely fine for people to refer to their own lived experiences. But it's also absolutely true that fantasy didn't sell as well as 40K, this isn't imagining up a talking point, it's just a statement of how things were.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I'm probably going to pick up the main boxed set (or maybe one of the other starter sets), mostly with a view to getting back into greenskins. I sold most of my figures nearly a decade ago, think I just have the big spider (couldn't let that thing go) and maybe some night goblins left. Although I'll mostly be buying the models just cos they're fun and will be enjoyable to paint, it'd be good to think about how an overall army would look. Would you just be able to slot in a bunch of extra goblins and Arachnarok into the Dominion set? And more importantly... how easy is it to pull a bunch of weedy gobbos off of square bases and put them onto round ones? (at least I never glued the spider onto its base!)

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Winklebottom posted:

Depends on how you've glued them on :v:

Plastic glue, you gotta carefully cut them off. Superglue, throw them in the freezer for a bit and they should snap off.

Thanks, I shall dig out my old models and find a suitable "volunteer" :D

AnEdgelord posted:

You can probably ally the goblins in but greenskins have actually been split into two factions with the Orcs going into 'Orruk Warclans' (which is the faction the models in the starter box belong to) and all the Goblins and Trolls getting their own faction called 'Gloomspite Gitz'.

Interesting, I hope there's some scope to combine them for proper games. Back in the day allying was a bit rubbish as people would usually use it as a way of making up for their army's weaknesses, e.g. putting cannons in a Chaos or Vampire army...

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
That's is, Dominion ordered. It's funny seeing the 40K thread stressing over the Orks release (which is quite funny) and the comparisons with Dominion; I actually got it at the cheapest I've seen (with an extra 5% off as well), so clearly it's no fully selling out everywhere. But that's a good thing!!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Trip report on leaving a night goblin in the freezer to unstick his base: it worked but these guys are so tiny and hard to grip that the shield arm came away first and he left a bit of foot behind on the base. Unsure if I'll rebase them all... there were a lot of gobbos, probably 80 or more.

I do like the Kruleboyz, but I enjoyed the Orcs in LOTR so that probably helps. I just can't really envision them next to anything else from the range... like I know you don't have to paint the massive chunky Orcs with bright yellow power armour, but I can't see them fighting side by side. So I'd be left with the goblin allies I guess, which makes more sense thematically even from another book.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Lol was it one day between me starting to rebase my square base night goblins to round bases, before GW announced that square bases are coming back? Classic me.

Doesn't matter, I constructed my first Kruleboy today, I'm a fan! I appreciate how easy they go together, even with a hole ready-cut into the bases. Just mulling over whether I should be gluing them properly to try and force the gaps closed, or just leave them pushed-in...

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Mr.Booger posted:

Oh I have them, but they make a 5 skaven wide unit about 135-140mm instead of 100mm if on 20mm square bases. In a game all about positioning and flanks, that's a huge difference (from years of playing fantasy, and Napoleonics/Historical ancients, bigger units are harder to maneuver by design, and are part of the points cost generally). To an army that was based on 25mm originally like Orcs or Chaos Warriors, probably no big deal, they have less units and were already that size, but I play Skaven, its more significant that you might think when you have 10+ blocks of troops.

They might surprise us and allow 20 mm based models to go 4 wide and get a rank bonus if they are spread out more (functionally as being on the wider round bases), then bring out their own round base movement trays so they can make a bit of cash from it as well? Nah who am I kidding, if they've said square bases, that's all they'll allow.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
The new undead were what piqued my interest to get back into the fantasy hobby, if Cursed City hadn't been such a debacle I'd have probably got that and used the figs as the base of a new vamp army. But I'm also enjoying the Orruks, it's amazing putting together the Dominion set, the figures are so well designed and go together so easily. I did buy the Blood Bowl box and those figures were so much worse in comparison, I'm glad GW got it right this time. The Hobgrots are a bit weird though, I've put together the 20 models and there's till about 10 body halfs in the kit that there's nothing to do with. I'm sure that's on purpose but such a weird way of doing it!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
All I need to know about AoS fiction is if any authors have gotten away with the very obvious joke that presents itself when a Sequitor is killed

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Got some proper paint on my Dominion Orcses, can I get a feels good man

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Other than a quick look at the army builder tool online I really haven't a clue about how any of that stuff works, and I'm not sure as a noob how I'll possibly be able to put it all together.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I've almost finished with the Dominion Kruleboyz, so the question is, do I start on the Stormcast now, or just keep buying swamp orcs... (I did actually quite enjoy painting the dead Stormcast on the Killaboss' base!)

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I can't imagine too many people have been genuinely trying to run full Kruleboyz armies ahead of the new book, surely? You'd just add some regular / savage orcs and do a combined army. The bolters will be battleline as well, if they have yellow shields at least. I hope wysiwyg isn't too important these days.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I really feel like GW should have been releasing the core kits for the new books before the special heroes etc. I'm kinda tempted to buy another shaman and some gutrippas from ebay from a set splitter, is that GW's intent? Plus it looks like I'll have to run my army as big yellas just to fit core requirements, but I'm not actually going to paint anything yellow. Maybe the fluff text means my guys are really good at yelling...

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Apparently GW forgot to give the sloggoth guy the Kruleboyz keyword. I'd check the new app but it seems to not work any more...

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Yeah, do that. I'm just about finished with the Kruleboyz from Dominion and I'm eager to get more models - I haven't even put any paint on the Stormcasts. Should I take it as a good sign that so many stockists are out of the Sloggoth and basic Gutrippaz (meaning they're not a complete failure like people said about Dominion for not instantly selling out)?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I wonder if all the Cathay lore in Total War will lead into the Dragon Emperor becoming Dracothian (dragon dude that brought Sigmar to the realms) to link the old and the new...

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
At least they fixed the Sloggoth!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

When I looked at them on the app I thought it was 340 points total so I thought that was absolutely insane but at 170 for all that's quite doable. Not interested in the game but might try and grab em to go in my krule army.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Wayland games has Dominion for a staggering £62.50 at the moment, it's almost tempting to buy another copy (especially when 3 boltboys are over £20 per set by themselves)...

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
For all the wailing about 40K Ork Buggies, everyone should feel much sorry for anyone spamming out Orruk Boltboyz, the champion model is the worst thing I've ever tried to put together. And that's before the price for that one little sprue, yikes. Just buy out Dominion splits if you're thinking of getting any extras.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Total Warhammer is free on epic games at the mo, I know it's two sequels deep but should be a good laff

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Not sure if robots and sentient rhyme but I approve of the attempts at poetry

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

AnEdgelord posted:

Some people were complaining about AoS not getting as much 40k but that didn't ring true to me so I decided to tally it up (including alternate builds as a seperate kit for simplicities sake)

so AoS got a lot more than 40k, don't know what people are talking about here

It's probably a quantity/quality thing, you've listed a bunch of AoS stuff but a lot of it is like 1-2 models an an announcement, or some vague Sigmar iconography. Although we've only seen 2 Squats we know there will be a bunch more, and relatively soon, whereas a lot of the AoS stuff seems real far away and quite unsubstantial (don't just mean the Nighthaunts!). I don't understand why they didn't just announce all the new Chaos models officially, then I really don't think anyone could have complained at all.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Exactly, and one new Deathmaster makes it feel like hardly an update at all. Especially when the model is (sensibly) trying to look like a stealthy assassin rather than an OTT murdermachine leaping down wielding several daggers

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Yeah I bought that Kruleboyz Warcry box, not put them together yet but it's nice to know I have another 2 banners and musicians I can add in! I did try to convert a spearguy from Dominion into another banner bearer but it just didn't look good enough. Plus the Warcry tokens are good to use for poison etc. markers, if I ever get a game in.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
That a resin beasty? Impressive either way

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Mors Rattus posted:

A lot of this is real cool but Overwhelming Assault is a terrible command ability. It only works on units of 5 or fewer models, has only a 1/6 chance of working on 5 model units, and strike last is only marginally useful against smaller units it can hit given the Wounds limit.

I think it's basically designed so you can swamp single models, I don't think people will be risking it on much larger units

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Mors Rattus posted:

How many single models with 4 or less wounds are worth it?

Hang on yeah you're right, that doesn't make any sense after rereading the description. It does seem almost completely useless (though my misreading of it would be pretty nice!)

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Mors Rattus posted:

Oh hey, Slittas get conditional Battleline. That’s interesting and useful.

Ah, hurray. Makes KB a little more playable... still not good, but better.

Silly question, Rippa's Snarlfangs are unit size 3, but are listed as single. Some other named little units too. But what do they mean by that..?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I've never gone in to a GW store to ask for their free mini of the month... I find it hard to imagine, do you waltz up to the counter and engage in small talk or some kind of pretence of spending full-retail cash before saying "please sir, gimme the freebie"? But to think that in July the giveaway is a model I previously owned and sold like a hundred of over a decade ago is quite mindboggling...

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I commented before on getting the free monthly minis from in-store, and went to my "local" store for the first time, and they actually had boxes and boxes of the sets from the last few months just open with people allowed to just clip themselves whatever they want. I just took the bits to make one of the new-style High Elves but I think they'd have been happy for me to work my way through all the kits and take as many as I want (within reason)! I also got the special store anniversary Kruleboy, nice model though I hadn't realised how expensive it was going to be...

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
All of those books look like they come with absolutely minimal new models. If the cities release only comes with weapon upgrade sprues that would be incroyable

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I'm talking about most of these latest books, Ogors, Daemons, High Elf types, Tzeentch, maybe I've missed something but I've seen one new model, total!

Geisladisk posted:

These are obviously parts from new models.

I hope so, just seems weird for them to be displayed this way, I've only ever seen them do this for weapon sets (like what they sell for Space Marines or updating old kits like the Cadians).

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Geisladisk posted:

https://imgur.com/a/cgxSWEA

Daves to Darkness book leaked, most of it.

No big surprises, mostly sensible iteration on the old book.

That Gorebeast chariot rule seems open to abuse... do your fight, then move over them and, if there's 30 models in the unit you're looking at, uhh, 70 wounds caused. Hopefully that's just a horrible misreading by myself!

Edit VV thank you, my sanity can return

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 15, 2022

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Siivola posted:

Whaddya mean "classic", the Storm of Chaos campaign happened only a couple of years ago!! :corsair:

That mounted sorcerer model was a special order piece that I was really pleased to get... and then sell... a mere decade ago.

VVV Yikes I bought those wolf riders last year just cos I liked the models, nearly threw the cards away!

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 14, 2022

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/12/02/miniature-of-the-year-2022-voting-is-now-open/

The Mini of the year vote is up by the way.

Also hints that the Loonking Court is coming out this year since its up on the voting options amusingly enough.

Love that it doesn't include pics of the options

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
You'll probably want the bow gobbos at least, they're good enough to sometimes even be allied in by orcs, mostly just to absorb wounds but that's fair enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I hope the 40 point increase for Rippa's snarlfangs that they talk about is worth it...