Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Thanks for the new OP Kenning, would you mind adding a Link to the previous thread somewhere in it? Makes it easier to find when you wanna go back to find something funny or whatever.

Great job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
If Abi gets 14 or more wins this Basho, he will be the first to do so:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

bessantj posted:

It's good to hear that he's getting his health back in check.

Here's an important update from him:

https://twitter.com/satoshi551/status/1407644197457383426

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
AOIYAMA

Brut fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 24, 2021

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Thauros posted:

they need to do hakuho vs. shonanzakura at a non basho deal like that before hakuho retires

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ4miMXdjHE

Here you go

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Y/O: Takakeisho / Shodai / Hakuho
S/K: Wakatakakage / Mitakeumi / Meisei Takayasu
M1-M5: Hoshoryu / Ichinojo / Tobizaru
M6-M10: Kiribayama / AOIYAMA / Terutsuyoshi
M11+: Ura / Ichiyamamoto / Chiyonoo

TEAM YOUTH!

Brut fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 2, 2021

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGL_w41_yRQ

Here's a vide of Enho being interviewed about food :shrug:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
https://twitter.com/AsahiYamabeya/status/1409152057257316355

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Hey ya'll, this isn't the thread for talking about other posters, lets not do this.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Kenning posted:

I will never forget the bout where Enho and (I think) Yutakayama just both stood up at the tachiai. Konosuke called a matta, so then they just...did it again. Stood up, didn't charge, just looked at each other like two cats about to fight in an alley. Konosuke just started shouting "Hakkeyoi!" and gesturing at them to get on with it. I think that could reasonably be called the moment when Enho was solved in makuuchi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWXZ5Sq9Xu0

First tachiai around 4:30

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Halloween Jack posted:

Are any of you sumo purists who don't feel like you're really watching sumo without several minutes of standing up, walking away, foot stomping, salt throwing, and chicken scratching? I like to see it for the big matches, but mostly I'm happy to see Kintamayama's super-condensed digest version. (I don't feel like cutting the slow parts of matches is necessary, though.)

I feel like that stuff being available is very important, but I sure as hell am not always in the mood for it, so how I actually watch varies. Hard agree on the editing thing as well, seems pointless...at least mark on the screen how much time you cut out :shrug:. I'll forgive him though because then he goes and posts something like that translated Enho interview (check a page or two back if you missed it) that was amazing.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Eh, when guys pull out it's not like it's expected that they're completely paralyzed and can't move, just that they can't fight competitively, sometimes they even come back later in the tournament. What does being called out about doing the dohyo-iri while being injured actually mean? They're gonna ask him to retire? If he pulls out of this tournament he's doing that anyway.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Edited mine, though Takayasu was my 3rd pick so it's kind of obvious what gets slotted in there :shrug:

Day 2 torikumi is up as well, Endo getting Hakuho on day 2, Terunofuji fights Wakatakakage. Should be a good first couple of days.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Chinook posted:

Is it possible he comes back in like Aoiyama did in May?

In theory, sure. In practice, with Takayasu's history of pulling out for this exact reason, he's probably out for the whole thing.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Sumo is live!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Juryo Dohyo-iri happening now, here comes Enho:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Hakuho Exists

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
I went 4-1, and the one loss was very unexpected, I mean look at this record:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Chinook posted:

Is it possible he comes back in like Aoiyama did in May?

Brut posted:

In theory, sure. In practice, with Takayasu's history of pulling out for this exact reason, he's probably out for the whole thing.

Welp, Takayasu is on the torikumi for day 3, he'll be fighting vs Ichinojo, battle of the bad backs.

Also I wanna see Ishizaki vs Hokuseiho in a Makushita playoff this basho.

Brut fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 5, 2021

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Requesting to trade Takakeisho for Shodai/Terunofuji/Hakuho in that priority order

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Takuan posted:

Hi this is my first time following sumo and I can see why Hakuho is the best. He looks like he's on a whole other level than his opponents so far. I understand he's on the verge of retiring, so I'm curious how the Hakuho I've seen so far compares to his prime?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HugWtB0Zkzk start here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0HuMcn8gs0 and here

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

What's the golden poop company?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Gagamaru is on the Abema broadcast tonight, it's a little hard to tell with the mask but he looks like he's lost a lot of weight, seems fairly comfortable on the mic.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Elissimpark posted:

Just realised top right is former Aminishiki, who is totally playing it up. They used to photograph the annual health checks and I'm pretty sure there's photos of him reacting the same way to his pulse being taken or height measured.

Wait seriously? It's so weird seeing retirement ceremonies so delayed, I mean they weren't that quickly scheduled to begin with but Aminishiki has been retired for 2 years.

But yeah, the faces are mostly a running gag during their routine medicals, though maybe some of them are genuine.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Archenteron posted:

How often does a rikishi down in Sandanme/Makushita go double zensho-yusho, cause he's well on his way, drat.

Sandanme 7-0 followed by Makushita 7-0, basically the only recent one was Yutakayama (at the time fighting under his real name).

Makushita 7-0 followed by Makushita 7-0, Abi just now and Tochinoshin when he was coming back from his big injury, and then before that...Matsutani? Oh, Shohozan.

Here's a list of all occurrences of back to back 7-0 scores across all ranks, only 105 results and the first 4 don't even really count because they're weird records from the 1700s and 1800s with draws and stuff in them.

What you really are looking for is this list of all triple back to back 7-0 scores, this has happened 13 times. If you expand that list to 4 tournaments, you get no results, if Hokuseiho wins 2 more matches he will be the first to accomplish the feat.

Brut fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 12, 2021

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Takakeisho will be back next basho. He shouldn't, be he will.

Terunofuji's matches today and yesterday felt straight out of 2011, if you know what I mean.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Apraxin posted:

It's much more niche than the major sports, because the idea is to start young and most recruits are already in a stable before they'd graduate university, but yeah, there's some college clubs and an amateur national championship. Anyone who wins it and chooses to actually join a stable and try and make a career gets the special rank of 'Makushita Tsukedashi' and gets to start out in Makushita - sometimes as high as Ms 15.

It's usually only one or two people per year, at most. Off the top of my head, Myogiryu, Mitakeumi, and Enho all came up that way (Ichinojo also started as tsukedashi after winning amateur tournaments, but without being a college student.)

So I just wanna clarify a few things, the Tsukedashi program is no longer unique to Makushita Tsukedashi, but as of 2015 also includes Sandanme Tsukedashi, Asanoyama and Yutakayama notably were the first to make use of the program to debut at the same tournament in March of 2016, causing the announcers to describe them as rivals when they made it to the top division. Then Yutakayama kept racking up injuries, while Asanoyama was much more successful....until he wasn't.

A year later in March of 2017, Wakatakakage debuted at Sd100TD. You are correct that Myogiryu and Mitakeumi came up through Makushita TD, but Enho came up through Maezumo, you might have meant Endo?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Elissimpark posted:

Yeah, they're the two highest ranked rikishi, so they'll want them to be the final match on the last day.

Yeah that makes sense.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Charles Gnarwin posted:

So Terunofuji probably just secured the rope today. Whatever happens, he will be a runner up because the only person who can pass him up is Hakuho. He already has two yushos this year and a jun yusho should be enough, especially with the YDC saying they are very high on him.

a playoff loss will almost certainly count, a straight loss to Hakuho on day 15 might count, but if Hakuho goes 15-0 and Teru goes 13-2 or 12-3 I don't think they promote him

Tonight's the night! Shodai will do what others could not!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Khizan posted:

Thinking about it, has anybody ever gone back-to-back yusho straight off of an ozeki promotion before? I did some sumo db searches and can't find anything, but I'm not sure I did the right searches.

Uh, Yes? No? depends how you see this:
Edit: Wait no, that third one counts, those are 15 day bashos. Lighter yearly schedule overall though.

Here's the query if you want to include Jun-Yusho, unsurprisingly that list most recently has Hakuho, Takanohana and Chiyonofuji on it.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
They probably meant the goonzuke.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Oh poo poo maybe slightly off topic but speaking of violent guys in Sumo, I just realized that Takagenji's twin brother isn't undefeated in MMA anymore, he's now 3-1 as of a fight in June, was wondering how long that was gonna last.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Kenning posted:

Anybody have a good live stream? Mbovo keeps getting shut down, and I'd like to watch live.

But also

https://www.twitch.tv/karla_sumoist since that NHK feed will only be the last hour of the final day, and this shows everything from the morning, and is already live right now.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Scythe posted:

Thanks for the link and pointing out that it's already live! Super cool to see the lower divisions... what's on right now? Jonokuchi? The gyoji look like they're teenagers...

Uh lets see, right now Jonidan 64 vs Jonidan 60 just ended, check this link for a results-hidden lineup of today's matches: (The torikumi)

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Results.aspx?b=202107&d=15&hideresults=on

The Japanese symbols for 1,2,3 are just 一,二,三, and you can see each of these in the division names as they're on screen, for Jonokuchi, Jonidan and Sandanme, makes it pretty easy to just eyeball it if you're tuning in randomly.

Edit: Ehhh I'm slightly wrong actually, it's:

Jonokuchi: 序ノ口
Jonidan: 序二段
Sandanme: 三段目

So that first one actually isn't a 一, I just misremembered it as such.

Brut fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 18, 2021

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Oh and as for the Gyoji, if you catch them say his name, which is always going to be either Kimura Firstname or Shikimori Firstname, you can find their information on this page:

http://heyaaz.nagioff.com/2021/2021.html (click gyoji in the top bar)

I guess there's only 5 Jonidan Gyoji so we can just check them all, they have birthdays in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2002 and 2001.

Brut fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 18, 2021

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Scythe posted:

Holy poo poo, now this a resource I never knew existed. And I was right, they're all 20-21 at most. Meanwhile the shimpan all look like actual adults, so I guess the new guys are assigned to get up early and watch the kids? How is shimpan seniority even assessed?

I believe there are 2 teams of 5 shimpan on any given day and they rotate back and forth every hour until the end.

There's a 5 year minimum requirement before Oyakata are eligible to be on the shimpan committee, which (usually) consists of 23 members, 3 of them considered higher ranked than the group of 20.

Brut fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 18, 2021

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Juryo just ended, Jonidan Yusho playoff is on right now

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Wakanohana on the Abema feed comparing Hakuho's sumo yesterday to boxing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
My whole team is kachikoshi, so I'm pretty happy.