Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Kenning, you should add the hot rikishi video to the OP, preferably the top of it.

I'm gonna try to remember to draft my stable this time around, I've been a bit out of sumo recently but I wanna follow this next basho for Hakuho's farewell, who knows, maybe he spoils a Yokozuna run on his way out...or basically passes the torch to someone else.

(watch this be one of those M14 yushos)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Yeah, let's do this thing:

Y/O: Hakuho/Terunofuji/Takakeisho
S/K: Mitakeumi/Wakatakakage/Meisei
M1-M5: Endo/Hoshoryu/Okinoumi
M6-M10: AOIYAMA/Onosho/Terutsuyoshi
M11+: Ura/Ishiura/Chiyonokuni

Not a lot of thought in the top ranks, M6+ is just guys I thought were underranked or might overperform.

edit: subbed out Takayasu for Meisei

Dias fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 2, 2021

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Even with the duwang subtitles Enho still came across as adorable. Come back to Makuuichi!!!!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I updated my picks but I think we only have three rikishi in S/K now, no?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'll take 2-3, I guess, thank you Aoiyama.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
We should get extra points if we can get the sanyaku injury right next basho.

Why do I trust Ishiura?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think this was the first okay day for me but day 2 was a 4-point day so I guess it wasn't too bad either. Good to see Hakuho being a beast. Also after asking me a buncha questions about sumo because I told her I watched it when we met, my GF finally watched a basho day with me. She 1) was having trouble getting over the massive asses and 2) actually really liked it, especially the end of day 1 and that throw. Ah, she also thought all the rikishi looked really sad.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Kenning, I wanna trade Endo for Ichinojo. Poor dude.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Khizan posted:

You can tell it's a fantastic henka, because the audience is applauding a henka in a sekiwake-yokozuna match, and Jason, who normally hates to see a henka, is just like "Welp. That's a henka." without the usual "oh come on!" style commentary.

Also it's unreal that even a 40% Hakuho is still making everybody he fights look like a clown.

I keep reminding my GF that Hakuho is basically retiring at his "lowest" and EVEN THEN he's still way better than 90% of the top division because it's really hard to grasp if you haven't been following the sport.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm so hyped for Hakuho x Terunofuji, please don't get injured, both of you.

Ichiyamamoto is one to look out for, he's been pretty solid this basho. Dude's been pretty consistent climbing to makuiichi too, he never won a yusho or had a especially stellar record, but he's gone 10-5 twice to make it to the top division.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Hakuho practices with Enho, there's no way Tobizaru was gonna throw him off with tricky tachiais, and once they were standing Tobi had nothing for him.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
My dudes started doing better but I had two 4-point days and I still got Ishiura ready to disappoint at a moment's notice.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I recovered surprisingly well, still not giving Ishiura credit lest he starts loving things up again, but my strategy is paying off.

I'd love if Mitakeumi performed consistently tho, I like the dude, he's just never good enough for long enough to make it past komosubi.

updates on girlfriend sumo:

> she has a crush on wakawaka
> she thinks tochinoshin is ugly, then was surprised when she found out he has a big fanbase and looked prettier when he was younger
> still impressed by hakuho and terunofuji as we all should be
> likes tobizaru and houshoryuu because they're fun to watch
> dislikes chiyoshouma and kiribayama because they're too skinny
> thinks hokutofuji looks terrifying

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Yeah, Japan has a really lovely drug policy for its citizens, and a prosecution system that only takes on cases they will win, so if you get a drug charge there you're hosed.

Also what the gently caress no Hakuho in the opening ceremony? The Olympics suck.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Marching Powder posted:

gagamaru sounds like a streetfighter boss

wrong game, he's from samurai shodown

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Marching Powder posted:

is that for real? did that name pull a memory from like 1995 from my brain?

e: aw i got excited

sorry, but if it helps that series has a lot of -marus, Haohmaru, Shizumaru, Hatestsumaru...

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho
Shodai

S/K:
Ichinojo
Takayasu
Mitakeumi

M1-5:
Wakatakakage
Kiribayama
Hoshoryu

M6-10:
Ura
Tobizaru
Chiyotairyu

M11+:
Endo
Chiyomaru
Ichiyamamoto

If I do badly it's my my GF's fault.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Hey, I'm constantly picking Endo when he's underranked! it's just that he still find ways to disappoint me

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Fluffdaddy posted:

Told yall Endo is good for 8-10 from this level. Easy money every time. The Endo Way

ah, too good for low/mid maegashira, too wack for high maegashira, good ol' Endo

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Not a terrible basho when it's all said and done, also it was really fun to watch the matches with my GF and cheer for the dudes we picked, haha. Teru carried the team but getting 4 KKs isn't too shabby.

Low Tier God Endo would've been a great pickup but alas. I'm content with my Terutsuyoshi position.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG6Sjg4yTkY&hd=1

Typical Ichinojo, giving up as soon as he gets to the edge of the doyho

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Memento posted:

People who know more about it than me: what are the chances we're looking at a period without a Yokozuna in the near future? I understand there have only been two times in the past hundred years that this has happened. I also understand that there doesn't need to be a Yokozuna; you can have a basho without one, but you need ōzeki, sekiwake and komusubi at the top of the card.

How long can Terunofuji's knees last? How much better do Shōdai and Takakeishō have to be doing before they can be considered for promotion?

Correct me if I've got the details wrong, I'm mostly piecing this together from wikipedia pages.

Honestly, if Teru had hosed up his rope run, we would BE in a period without a Yokozuna for an unknown amount of time, so if his knees turn to dust again...God knows I love Takakeisho but he's inconsistent and very one-note, and Shodai is good, but like, not dominant good? They'd need two outstanding tournaments in a row tho and they haven't been able to even approach that.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Y/O:
Terunofuji
Shodai
Takakeisho

S/K:
Ichinojo
Kiribayama
Mitakeumi

M1-5:
Myogiryu
Hoshouryu
Wakatakakage

M6-10:
Tobizaru
Aoiyama
Ura

M11+:
Abi
Chiyonokuni
Chiyomaru

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Well, I clearly know who the underperformer in my team is, tobizaru

So far we had some pretty fun sumo, a lot of close bouts and all, maybe not having the shadow of The Oyakata Formerly Known As Hakuho looming over them made some dudes extra motivated to do well.

who knows maybe this is finally mitakeumi's time to shine

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

bessantj posted:

I am asking, once again, for Hoshoryu to pull his finger out and show his uncle whats up!

I dodged a bullet there, I was gonna have him as my first pick for the ranking. Dude's young and really good so I'm sure eventually he's gonna be a solid high maegashira rikishi at least and his uncle will troll him less.

bad day for our team, but Tobizaru is doing better!! see!!!!! no reason to worry at all

(he's gonna lose the next four in a row)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
True to Brazilian sumo, I barely do enough to get a KK and hold on to my mid-low maegashira rank.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Considering we keep missing the deadline I propose we get to declare kyujo for the first day and start from behind, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

whats for dinner posted:

That is cool as hell and this dude rules for another reason:

that dude's life story is pretty sick, he even retired his savior