Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I know I was the only top aligned taskbar person out there but still :smith:

Emotion seconded, hoping for a workable hack by the time I get around to adopting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

$30 is too much to pay to run any version of Windows IMO

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Just to chime in on the “trust or don’t trust tech” thing, and from the perspective of an average consumer and outsider: at this point, tech companies need to go out of their way to earn my trust, and I will not trust them by default.

I don’t buy into conspiracies per se, but until there’s a clear and transparent explanation for a suspicious trend or change, I’m going to assume it’s not for my benefit. It’s probably going to constrict my choice in some way or exploit me or someone else, because that’s happened plenty of times already and practically defines the current tech age.

Probably a superfluous post on this thread, now that I think of it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Out of nothing more than idle curiosity, are taskbar pinned apps still a thing, and if they are, are they still .lnk files placed in AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar?

They're either unchanged from that, placed in a less anachronistic location, or something more complicated has happened to these sorts of things for no reason. Maybe I ask this as an indicator of where W11's head is at, how modernized and truly separated from previous versions of Windows it really is.

Background, if you care: I like to change the icons of pinned apps, and editing the shortcuts allows this. They still revert to the application's default icon when run, but when sitting idle, they can be any icon you like. I take my customization in Windows where I can get it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

My pet theory is that MS knows 11 is a half-baked trash patch for 10 and this is a way to throttle new users upgrading to it, while maintaining a sense of being part of an exclusive club of Windows 11 authorized PCs.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Have you guys been thanked recently for voluntarily beta testing a Microsoft OS for the rest of us?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm curious: is MS soliciting feedback from early adopters, or are they just relying on telemetry? Are they making any visible effort to collect user impressions?

vvv thanks, I'm on W10 (WIN + F does nothing for me, but I do have as much telemetry turned off as possible) on a device that won't make the whitelist anytime soon, and I'm just curious. At least there's a way for people to directly say stuff to the company.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 16, 2021

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

fawning deference posted:

Hi everyone, sorry for not reading through a ton of posts, but should I wait to do my free upgrade to Windows 11 until it is less buggy, or should I be totally fine getting it now? Coming from Windows 10 obviously.

OgNar posted:

I've personally decided to wait a year.
It sounds like there are enough minor irritations to irritate me enough that i would regret it.

I'll probably wait two years at least, or until just before 10 hits EoL. I've got a real old PC though (2013) which might not take to 11 at all. (Stay together baby.)

I was on 7 just before MS threatened to stop servicing it, and I can't say I regret simply waiting. I missed out on nothing but headaches.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If you're going to push a bad design on folks, not allowing them to change it to their preference is what's really unforgivable.

My dumb opinion is that UI designs the last 15 years have become such a part of brand identity that OS makers won't let you change much more than the wallpaper, it'd be like letting you peel the logo off your laptop. I do think more options will come to the taskbar and such, but it'll still be fairly straitjacketed.

I'm sure there are other reasons why a multibillion dollar company can't offer basic customization options on an operating system that they're actively pushing on their users, though, like massive inertia, basic incompetence, and trying to manage code among dozens of little fiefdoms in the company.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The most important thing about a Microsoft Windows feature isn’t how good it is, it’s whether you can get rid of it, turn it off, keep it from spying on you, or replace it with something of your choice.

Windows search isn’t very good, but in terms of the above, it’s goddamn exemplary.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

This tweak for 10 might do it, unless they moved things around for 11. https://winaero.com/how-to-reduce-t...=titlebarheight

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

i use appliance timers on some of my lamps

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

CoolCab posted:

honestly mate, when i looked into it (and it's VERY hard i havent got it going yet, lol) basically uniformly i got told that any kind of server or long term stable deployment, even a rinky dink personal netflix plex server you wanna use some flavour of linux. hell i had a friend of mine go "oh no no you don't wanna use ubuntu that's got a GUI".

I'm the exact opposite of being interested in these things, but I'd guess that running without a GUI is desirable if you are just tossing the server in a corner somewhere and accessing it remotely. You'd access any GUI from a remote machine, no need to have it running at all times on a headless server. You'd probably start/restart/maintain the content server from a remote command line and have some kind of web interface for other stuff, then the Plex or other client would just point to the server and run.

All I do is plug a USB drive in my router with the thing I want to watch, it hosts it on an FTP or something and I just access it with VLC or other player on a given device. I get the cool factor of having a massive hard drive somewhere in your house stacked with everything you might someday want to watch or listen to, but it's always seemed like more work than it's worth to me.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

redeyes posted:

It's not 'THE REGISTRY!!11' that is the issue. It's stupid loving programs setting poo poo wrong in said file. It doesn't have a mind of its own you know.

the registry has hives. HIVES. You can't trust it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

You know why.

because we're Microsoft, gently caress you, that's why

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Wake me for their half-assed attempt at 2-pane explorer windows.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Rinkles posted:

I’m a Goldilocks, I don’t mind a trimmed down right click menu, but the Win11 one is missing some essentials for me. Ideally it would just be easily customizable.

Here's my take, it's normal to want to be able to customize an interface, and stupid for an obscenely wealthy and powerful software company not to include customization options that you need to get your work done.

OTOH, they're a monopoly, and you can [THREAD TITLE].

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The general abolishing or melting or melding of titlebars into windows is a thing that I am not a fan of

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I thought the new Windows 11 context menus were meant to prevent third parties from adding poo poo to them? AMD Adrenaline software has cheekily added itself to both the modern and legacy right click context menus. I've tried removing the registry entry supposedly responsible for the addition, but it seems to be deprecated and it's still there. My Google-fu has failed me. He;pl!

Not a W11 user here, but for W10, I'd use Autoruns and look in the Explorer tab, and make careful notes about what I disable.

Don't be surprised if AMD has a helper service (or whatever such things are called these days) that quietly undoes whatever you do.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Tornhelm posted:

Not having to worry about manual backups and syncing between devices for the things onedrive takes care of automatically is useful.

This might be a bit old school of me, but, "not worrying about manual backups," means, "not worrying because I have at least three manual backups I am in absolute control over."

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm at the point where I mostly use Double Commander or some other free file manager anyway. The lobitomized context menu is more offensive imo.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

~Coxy posted:

We're way beyond needing a file manager replacement, we need a shell replacement.

I'm on record in at least one of these threads hoping the backlash will lead to a renewed interest in alternative windows shells. Not that I think it'll happen, just kinda hoping.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Flipperwaldt posted:

It's just that my concept of the start menu ossified early on. It's a list of programs you want to start and start menu search should be in function of that. Results should be 100% predictable. Calculator should show up from when I type c and not only from cal and then disappear when that becomes calc or whatever sort of lovely fuzzy logic is in the native search. Made up example, but the sort of thing that kept happening.

Before I latched onto text-driven launchers like FindandRunRobot and Keyperinha, I got used to using the Start Menu strictly from the keyboard. This would be either using Win -> arrow keys or Win -> letters (even before there was a search box).

The bottom line for me is that the Start Menu, or any application launcher, or hell, any application at all, should respond to keyboard commands in such a consistent way that you should be able to operate them reliably without even looking at that section of the screen. Using it should quickly become reflexive, and it should respond in exactly the same way every time you use it, the same way any physical tool should be. Imagine having a toolbelt, and every time you reached for your hammer, you couldn't be sure you'd actually get it.

The default Start Menu in Windows 11 is a continually shifting mess that seems to be mostly an advertising and user surveillance tool for Microsoft, that--at least periodically, but often continually--requires you to shift 100% of your attention to it to use it as an actual tool. So I don't use it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Flipperwaldt posted:

I've been using Open-Shell since Windows 8 to replace the start menu and the search finds me program/app names and those config items, even the descriptive alts, and nothing else. Consistently quickly. I like the windows 95 styling, but you can set it to look like XP if you want. If I'm looking for file names, I'll use Everything. Every so often I'll think it's a ridiculous situation that shouldn't be and try to raw dog the OS as it is, but that never lasts.

I've known about Open-Shell for years, but this post got me to finally try it. It's great, I have a nice minimal start menu, and I can pick custom colors for the taskbar and taskbar text. Nice! Still going to mostly use Keyperinha for launching and file browsing, but this thing is a sight for sore eyes.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

doctorfrog posted:

I've known about Open-Shell for years, but this post got me to finally try it. It's great, I have a nice minimal start menu, and I can pick custom colors for the taskbar and taskbar text. Nice! Still going to mostly use Keyperinha for launching and file browsing, but this thing is a sight for sore eyes.

openshell misuse update

Man, I miss the shell customization craze of the early 00's.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Thanks Ants posted:

I just want to be able to make it small like it's Windows 2000 again

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

they're a very wealthy company, and whatever the fix, they could do it.

I also dislike getting a search result that gets someone with the exact same problem as mine, the proposed solution of which is a pat answer from a community member or MS team member, which neither addresses nor resolves the problem.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I could go for a hardware accelerated version of the old gray interface.

:same:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

secret volcano lair posted:

e: For reference, what "show sync provider notifications" actually hides is a Different kind of obnoxious file explorer integrated ad:

This is not necessarily related to your point, but goddamn what an ugly OS this is. Just flat blinding white and bright blue highlights all over a basic file manager, with minor hints of how it's all divided up.

MS: no discernable boundaries.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Thanks Ants posted:

I can’t wait for this AI fad to fall on its arse so we can get straight onto the next round of bullshit that nobody wants.

MS has sunk billions into AI, they'll spend billions trying to force it onto you in every circumstance before giving up or being sued by the EU.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Klyith posted:

They really haven't. They gave $10 billion Itchy and Scratchy tokens to openai, spendable only on azure cloud services.

Versus $68 billion in real money on Call of Duty and the pathetic shell of blizard, does that mean they are 7 times more invested in video games?
Ha, I thought it was cash or stocks or something with value, unless that's what you mean by tokens. I can't stand Sam Altman's face so I haven't read too many articles about OpenAI.

Anyway, I still think Microsoft will go through all the motions of making AI products unavoidable as possible, for as long as possible, just because that's what they do with everything. Not a hard bet to win, I know.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Heran Bago posted:

OSs should do built-in tutorials for these imo

I remember the Apple II's in our school had this cute little adventure game that taught you how to use a mouse and stuff. But the library only had four of them, so we had to settle for the teacher doing a let's play of it in front of us. The only thing I remember was learning click and drag on the drawstring of a windowshade, then double clicking on it to flip it up. It was incredibly slow.

By the next year we had a full-on lab for the things but instead of a tutorial we were set loose on a drawing program with a list of tasks, which was not as cute, but was way more fun.

e: Side note: computers are not cute or fun anymore, their design language or whatever just makes them seem very impressed with themselves and that we should be too. OS's are very snooty things now.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Last Chance posted:

I removed the Xbox game bar overlay thing in Windows 11 and now a dialog pops up when I play games saying it’s missing and I have to dismiss it each time now. Good stuff

It's not great even if you have it installed: They did some kind of update to the Game Bar that also funked up my kid's Minecraft install, prevents mine (on Windows 10) from updating, and prevents either of us from the previously perfectly functioning voice chatting over our occasional games of Minecraft. From your description it also sounds like it's some kind of power play to force more of their unneeded bullshit onto people, and it's all around poorly implemented.

Microsoft sucks :mad:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

wash bucket posted:

Hello Tiny Timbs,

My name is Segunfunmi, and I'm here to help you with your Microsoft Copilot issues. As an Independent Advisor and fellow Microsoft user, I completely understand your frustration with this issue.

Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot the problem:

First, let's check your Copilot Settings. This can be done by opening the Windows Settings menu (use the Windows + I keys), selecting System from the left sidebar, and opening the Copilot menu. Please scroll down to Copilot and open it. Ensure the toggle is enabled, and turn on the permission to show Copilot notifications.

I hope these suggestions are helpful, and please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Remember, we're in this together and work to find the best solution for you.

Kind regards,
Segunfunmi.

P.S. To help you remember this information, hitting your "Back" button will just reload this page!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Not only is software A/B testing gaslighting users, it’s creating a whole new form of superiority complex

Goons saying, "I have no such problem, therefore there is no problem," is a foundational superiority complex of these forums.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Clawing back control of their space

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Klyith posted:

MS deciding what software people can or can't run is hosed.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Sony Mavica-rear end pic

Sooner or later it's gonna be a popular aesthetic for digital images to fake dithering and feathering artifacts or whatever, right up there with Insta filters. If they don't exist already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Korean Boomhauer posted:

ive figured out how to do it in gimp with a background i made

Ok, now I like this and you're gonna have to tell me how you did it.