Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
Why would you expect anything less than double standards from this muppet government? They're the most corrupt pack of numpties in living memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Spookydonut posted:

Even if we get to 90% vaxxed we aren't gonna drop all restrictions completely because of the people who can't get vaxxed and you can still shed and spread virus even when fully vaxxed.

Give it a year or two and covid will be like the flu, sweeping the world killing 300,000-600,000 people annually. Health experts will implore people to get the yearly vaccine and to stay home from work, wash their hands, yada yada yada. But most people will forget to get the vaccine, or outright refuse, or be too poor (time or moneywise) to get it. They'll sneeze right in your face on the bus, or go to work dripping with sweat and with a fever because they don't have any sick days left.

And just like that, it'll be 1 million people annually dying from what we have proven are containable, treatable, possibly eradicable diseases, people whose cause of death will be an afterthought.

My granddad died from complications due to the flu a few years before covid, because an acquaintance visited him whilst ill, because he didn't think it was such a big deal. And I think he would have said that humans aren't evil, or stupid, just lazy and boorish, and whilst his death was entirely preventable, in a fallible human world it was entirely predictable and inevitable.

Or maybe we'll get lucky/unlucky and some other SARS strain, or another ebola will mutate and start rapidly jumping around, and like portions of SEA we'll actually take health seriously, mask up when sick and stay home from work.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

One of my first workplaces would shuffle staff to cover you for a sick day, so we didn't actually need to take sick days half the time. My last workplace demanded a full on doctors note for a sick day, gently caress resting up, go spread those germs. My current workplace, after COVID, is a lot happier to just wave their hands and accept me at my word that I'm sick.

Meanwhile in work-labor relations policy, Iceland has moved 86% of their workforce to either actively working 4 days a week, or eligible to work 4 days a week. Happiness and productivity are up. How do we make this a reality in Australia? ABC news article.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

freebooter posted:

Sydney extending the lockdown by another week after Perth and Brisbane and Darwin have exited theirs, I'm sure this will cause a re-examination of the "you should avoid lockdown until it's absolutely unavoidable" mentality in Sydneysiders

It's refreshing that the nation has decided to embark on a side by side trial, with the rest of the nation trialling immediate snap lockdowns and Sydney trying the wait and see approach. I think the evidence is in, but we might have to cauterize the infected area if it doesn't get under control soon.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

hooman posted:

That loving sucks and is a grim reminder of how insecure work is for casual workers and in the gig economy.

I hope you still have work.

Really highlights that if people want work, they should be given work. Or perhaps that they should be free to pursue their own needs through a universal basic income.

This boring dystopian version of the future sucks.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Centusin posted:

And NSW is still better positioned than most other places that are handling a Delta outbreak right now.

Why are you defending the trashfire state? They did a bad job, they are doing a bad job. Everyone knows what needs to be done, they're too chickenshit to do it.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

quote:

Mr Frydenberg hit back at the accusation of double standards, saying people were sick of the "whingeing" from Mr Andrews.

It's Frydenberg, he's the one whose tired of the whingeing. He doesn't like people insinuating that he should be doing his stupid loving job.

gently caress this government. Officially worse than the Abbott or Howard government? Hard to tell, but maybe.

Konomex fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 14, 2021

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Launchpad McQuack posted:

We were sold a bunch of lies from state premiers and CMOs that this can be eliminated. The population believed it. We aren't world leaders, we are better than any country, we have had our head up our so far up our arse and now it is gonna come around to bite us in the arse. Aussie are about to get a sorely needed lesson in the facts of life. We are gonna go through this year what the rest of the world went through last year. We are kidding ourselves if we think otherwise.

This is a troll right? It's hard to tell because some people genuinely think they should just be able to go about their lives like normal and we'll just let the virus gently caress over a bunch of people. Bunch of sociopaths.

It's so simple to solve though. It's a game of music statues. When the music stops (more than 3 cases of community transmission are detected) everyone freezes until the music starts again (all close contacts are isolated and all casual contacts get 2 tests several days apart). The game doesn't stop until we're all vaccinated (The party pies are ready).

It's the easiest thing, and it's made even easier if the government funds it with relief payments. The economic damage is proven to be worse just letting the virus let rip.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

My goondolences to the Victorians about to experience another lockdown thanks to NSW's inability to deal with a crisis.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

hambeet posted:

but that first teacher, has potentially spread it to a school of 2500 students and 2000 contacts at the mcg in the space of two days.

Can we have some of what you're smoking Hambeet, to get us through these lockdowns, because we all know children can't catch or spread Covid. Scumo told me so.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Is this even true, I can't be bothered listening to Kyle Sandilands ever again but I want to know if this happened or its just a joke. A real joke, not like Scumo.

Scumo also told me that he doesn't hold a book mate, how would he know about sick kids? Probably a Leprecaun.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Launchpad McQuack posted:

How long to someone funds out how these guys are bashes/murders these poor fuckers? gently caress this country has been wound up so tight it is loving scary. We are absolutely ripe for an full authoritarian government. People are begging for it.

You can't have a fascist government without marching in the streets, going door to door, concentrating people in cramped conditions. All of these things are bad for Covid, if anything, Covid is a communist. It forces people do things for the public good or die.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I don't want to come in to bat for the insane conspiracy dude itt but its kind of amazing how dense some of you motherfuckers are to conflate "authoritarianism" with "fascism"

Anyway since the gbs thread is a better politics thread than the politics thread is I'm going to say I feel good about giving up smoking a fucktonne of pot to focus on my other great joy in life, sticking things up my dickhole and into my butt

Whooosh.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

lol

https://www.ibac.vic.gov.au/media-r...-september-2020

IBAC found that when responding to someone having a mental health episode VicPol:

Failed to tell the person why they are being detained
Verbally abused him
Didn’t have body cameras active
Ran over him with their patrol car
Kerb-stomped his head
Lied about the force used
Failed to provide appropriate post-incident care

And none of that constitutes unlawful behaviour

Just loving outstanding

Why can't we hold police to higher standards? Lying to another officer should get you benched, then investigated, and if proven true - fired. And if a cop does commit a crime, there should be a crime called committing a crime whilst being a cop' and it should add a mandatory 1 year to whatever sentence you got. Oh, got off on probation? Great, you still get a year locked up dick head.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Animal Friend posted:

Have they defined critical?

Construction is on hold in NSW now too and there's "tougher penalties" for forcing people into the office.

You know, if you feel like your work is more critical then it is essential. People can feel these things.

Gucci to remain open.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

They'd prefer socks and pillories.

It's pretty easy to identify kids in need who are acting out. Actually helping them despite the best efforts of "tough on crime" politicians and cops is the actual hard part.

I don't think its actually the hard part, I think it's just horrifically underfunded. The lack of time, consistency and resources to help these kids makes it hard.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

This is a brave stand. I regularly take a hunger strike every day because I don't like breakfast. Also when I sleep.

What is this weak sauce activism?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

SuddenCactus posted:

He doesn't hold the vaccine syringe okay.

He was in charge when they choose the vaccine that disproportionately benefitted one of his cabinet members, he was in charge when they picked the people who'd run the rollout, he was in charge when they discovered the alarming clotting side effect, he was in charge when they encouraged people to get it anyway (and did so himself), he was in charge when people started dying. But he doesn't hold the vaccine?

This is some reverse 'I was just following orders' horse poo poo. If the concentration camp guard wasn't responsible, and Hitler wasn't responsible... who the gently caress was responsible?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

didnt you watch the statement? you are

Why would I willingly watch Scumo? I try to glean what he said from headlines. I was surprised he apologised, but turns out he didn't.

I also don't hold the drat needle, or an appointment for that matter.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

I am a big fan of Dan Andrews proposal to build a ring of steel around Sydney to prevent the outbreak spreading further. I'm assuming he means a literal ring of steel, or perhaps a ring of tanks.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

https://twitter.com/SebStarcevic/status/1418784718598774785?s=20

GREAT THERES loving LOCKDOWN PROTESTS ALL OVER THE COUNTRY

INCLUDING MELBOURNE AND SYDNEY

Contrary to what you might think, the man breathing fire is actually an essential worker desperately trying to maintain social distancing.

He works at the circus. Essential!

Why aren't those cops arresting people breaching lockdown rules?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's a nice essential job you have

For a clown to work

At the circus

Some people would claim he does the same job as the PM, but I think he does it better. Also he did get arrested for some reason.

Today I learned: Don't got to a protest with your phone.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

These anti vax/anti mask/anti lock down people are insufferable. Openly admitting they're happy for people to die so they can get a coffee.

In my day sociopaths had the decency to pretend to have empathy for others.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

PalaNIN posted:

Over the last week my neighbour (elderly, Sky News fanatic and Dan Andrews hater) shared a 15 minute tirade video with me from a sole trader in regional VIC which did the rounds on small-time conservative blogs. The video's initial argument was about how lockdowns cause a) huge mental health issues and b) financial support often misses people in certain communities. I don't have an issue with that argument and completely agree that lockdowns do cause a lot of grief, but when the alternative is people in hospitals or body bags I'm going to pick the lesser of the two evils any day.

I feel like a lot of these protests include people who subscribe to that idea, but the only voices that want to fight and protest against mental health concerns are the people that want to let people die all in the name of freedom. I wonder how many adjacent issues (mental health concerns, lack of support for the arts, metro vs regional split) have been swept up in these anti-lockdown protests.

It seems to me, from talking to what feels like insane people, that their main issue is freedom. They don't want the government telling them what to do, they'll pull in all these other issues - mental health, patchy unemployment, lack of support, and when you address those as something the government could address they'll double down on freedom and that the government can't possibly do anything.

They're just a bunch of selfish narcicists..

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

snoremac posted:

I'm the one who was suspicious of that image yesterday but didn't post.

I too was suspicious. Suspicious that an active duty police officer (who for arguments sake we will call Mr Horse, I'm sorry if I assume the officers gender but the photo only shows them from the neck up), attended a large scale protest without a mask. After 30 seconds of digging it's very clear that no one knows if a horse could spread Covid, in fact, they're pretty sure no one has even tested a horse for Covid and that it might actually be possible for a horse to catch Covid.

That man is full on touching Mr Horse's face, and both of them are maskless. Disgraceful. Mr Horse should be stood down, with pay, pending an internal investigation, in the form of an anal Covid swab.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Laserface posted:

no wonder this poo poo is out of control.

Doesn't matter how gold standard your contact tracing is if it gets overwhelmed because you didn't lock down HARD and FAST.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Gentleman Baller posted:

I'm no lawyer but this whole federal icac thing Labor just announced looks pretty good. Maybe some of the blatant corruption from the government might be met with some consequences?

Edit: Here's the announcement.

Holy balls, Federal Labor announces an actual policy? Has the lockdown melted their brains? Were they trapped indoors for more than a week and actually started strategizing how to knife Morrison?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Resident Idiot posted:

So, another four weeks for NSW. I wonder if they'll take it seriously this time?

The ringtail possum came out of its tree hollow today and sadly saw its shadow, meaning another 4 weeks of lockdown for NSW.

(The possum is probably the closest Australian equivalent of a groundhog, a type of squirrel.)

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Centusin posted:

Who isn't taking it seriously? The people working essential jobs locked into their LGA's or the government that locked them in there and implemented a 10km limit for everyone else? Everything non-essential is closed, outdoor masks are pointless because there are no cases of outdoor transmission, a curfew doesn't stop essential workers going to work and that and households is where the transmission is happening based off of every single statement and piece of data released.

It's all about giving people better financial support, better communications and doing whatever they can to reduce risk in essential workplaces at this point.

You can do click and collect from JB hi-fi apparently, so... I don't buy it. The other 3 states with outbreaks from NSW managed to reign it in and you've still got people getting sick not knowing where its from. Remember when Italy melted down and to go to the store you had to line up down the road, metres apart?

My hot take is that NSW is still trying to soften the blow on their economy by allowing too many people to move around for "work" reasons. When that list of essential services could be slashed to a skeleton crew for a week whilst the contact tracers catch up. But that would require payments to people so they'd stay home. A stop to rent and mortgage payments (commercial as well) and everyone just watches the Olympics, or they get to go buy their groceries once every 3 days. That's it.

I go read a news article about whose spreading it still, and it's both blaming the young people but also talking about 'different settings', and pushing the need for people to vaccinate, people who can't vaccinate. The messaging is a dogs breakfast and the strategy is borrowing from countries that failed to contain it. And then the article finishes by saying, drum roll for this bit, young people are spreading it because they are the essential workers moving around for work.

NSW worst state.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Zenithe posted:

Australia, notable for not having any native animals that burrow.

Look, I thought about it. But I don't think the magical powers of determining whether events continue based on seeing your shadow were bestowed via burrowing underground, but were probably some genetic mutation. Therefore, the most squirrel like animal won out.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Just one question, did it escape hotel quarantine or leak from NSW?

At least they're going into a snap lockdown instead of sitting on their hands and waiting to see what happens first.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

This is their second strike within 90 days, 1 more strike for anti-covid videos and they lose the account entirely.

Here's hoping.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

What's that meme? Celebrating Day 366 of our 1 Week Lockdown. It's going to be very interesting what happens if Queensland ends their lockdown within a week or 2 and NSW is still just trudging along with cases in the community in the hundreds.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Can't we blame both levels of the LNP for their colossal dumbshittery?

Saw an article from SkyNews* from an "expert" stating Covid could mutate to be as deadly as MMR, killing a third of the infected BUT somehow not harming the elderly. It was a weird take. I won't link it because SkyNews.

*Not real news

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Chadzok posted:

How does 80% and 70% targets out of Morrison's mouth become 50% out of Gladys?

70% of the eligible population doesn't include people below a certain age and people who can't have it - equating to about 50% of the population apparently. A number that is noticeably not high enough for herd immunity.

Gladys and Morrison are essentially telling people to get vaxxed because they intend to let it rip like the US and UK who are instituting lockdown measures to help their hospital systems cope.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

lol, some ministerial failson is getting 6 figures to hit Forward on an email once a day

Que reddit post where some guy completely automates this entire job to an automated program and stops going into work, or goes into work and just builds a fort out of boxes for 2 years.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

This is not health advice in anyway, but I think we've been lied to. People trying to trick us into not getting AZ.

The vaccines are like pokemon, you've gotta catch 'em all. They don't want us to get to the elite 4 guys. Morrison is Gary.

It all makes sense now. I may be sick right now, just dropping that out there. Which means now that I am eligible to get a vaccine, it won't let me sign up for another week.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

So their current plan is to open up at 50% of the population, with vaccine passports. But the young won't be fully vaccinated, but they also run everything as the essential workers. Meaning you'll be able to go to work, to serve the elderly, but won't yourself be able to go places because you won't be vaccinated.

What is this hell world and how did the boomers manage to pull one over us all once again? Don't millennials outnumber them yet?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I'm guessing that Bunnings is loving packed during the lockdown.

Everytime someone online says 'NSW isn't doing a proper hard lockdown, just copy Victoria!' a bunch of people from NSW reply 'What? Nah, it is a hard lockdown, I've barely seen anyone out and about. They're pretty quick when they go into bunnings, not many people browsing, you don't need to click and collect if you're quick. And people are pretty good about their masks too, it's not like you need to wear one when exercising outside anyway'.

And I just struggle to wrap my head around their mental gymnastics. Because by contrast, when WA did our lockdown my story was 'I have no idea what other people have been doing because I only left my house to go straight to my job and back - or not at all.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

I prefer WA's model, gently caress the pokies. All gambling is done in one hosed up uber corrupt resort, or allowed on one special day in regular pubs. Ignoring TABs of course.

I can't imagine what it's like having pokies scattered all over your state.