Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

True dude. I mean sure we'd be looking at thousands of deaths in addition to lots of suffering and an overloaded hospital system, but we wouldn't literally end civilization so wanting to avoid that by locking down is pretty extreme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I understood Turnbull. I really did. I didn't agree, but I could see how some Liberal or undecided voter could look at him and go yeah let's vote him as Prime Minister. And Howard was a oval office but at least he could appear competent. But Morrison? If not for Abbott doing it years ago I'd have been amazed at what can pass for Prime Minister in this country.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Tommunist posted:

I think you owe it to your self not to retroactively rehabilitate Howard or turnbull

Oh no that wasn't a comment on their actual performance or worth as human beings. Just I can at least see how a casual observer could be fooled.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Do we even have good quarantine procedures now to keep the next potential variant out?

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

My local-ish vaccine place has an opening for my first jab available on the 22nd of October so that's fun. Everyone is vaccinated lets open up.

Before anyone says "just go to another place" I'm already walking to another town to get to this place. Sometimes I swear I live in the place most equidistant from everything else that is not a house in all of greater Sydney.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 2, 2021

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Nah I'm nowhere spicy. Not even close to anywhere spicy. It's a leafy middle-class boomer suburb that I can only afford to live in cause I rent a separate unit in someone's house. One of those quiet places where everything is outside of the town so nobody from outside has any reason to ever come in and there's multiple cars per family so the residents don't care. We've also got super high vaccination rates here because of being middle-class boomer central, so all the places would be getting slammed even though we're in a fairly safe area.

There's probably some other places I can book though, like I said very equidistant from everything. One has a 30 day wait, which I guess is better. There's also a couple ones with no listed waiting time but I doubt they'd be any better. No popup places just existing clinics in town centers.

I'm not too worried for myself, I have a respirator and I'm a natural shut-in so I'll most likely be fine. Just pointing out how it's not a case that everyone is just vaccinated up who wants one. Though I'm sure the thread is aware that kids can't even get them so nobody is shocked to learn there's lots of people out there just straight up vulnerable to this thing.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

From the comment section:

quote:

Come Out Of Her My People!
1 day ago
This is absolutely brilliant. Very well done. Can't imagine how much time it took.

Remix Matrix
1 day ago
I hear her voice as I sleep. I regret everything 😂

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Targeting 100% vaccination (realistically 95%, for people who might have legitimate exemptions, requiring unprecedented levels of coercion to get there) might keep things under adequate control, as would have months of lockdown + high levels of vaccination targeting towards total elimination with permanent 2-week quarantine for all international arrivals.

Both of these don't meet the 'realistic' criterion now, and people might legitimately come to the conclusion that they are infeasible or not worth the cost, but people would give a lot more serious consideration to these options if the government had communicated to the population that the 80% target means we will continue to have several thousand cases and daily deaths instead of saying 'yeah we'll just get to 80% and things will be cool'

The question about how many deaths people are prepared to deal with is totally incongruous with what is currently being offered. The poll that says 61% of Australians want death tolls to stay <100 a year shows how misinformed people are. The majority who think that we should be aiming for this number either has to agree with a total elimination strategy, 100% vaccination with the police going around to jab people at gunpoint (which may or may not achieve this anyway), or acknowledge that what they are asking for is an impossibility (I don't put blame on individuals for thinking this, though, since this is the question the government refuses to answer by dancing around 70-80% vaccination targets)

Yeah <100 deaths a year is not even obtainable in NSW with the current lockdown. We had 7 deaths today. The 7 day average is currently 4. If that holds we're looking at an average of ~1460 deaths a year in NSW alone. And it's likely to go up even if we don't ease restrictions.

quote:

Asked to nominate the number of Covid-related deaths that it would be acceptable for Australia to live with once restrictions are eased, 61% of respondents say fewer than 100 deaths per year, 25% say between 100 and 1,000 deaths per year, 10% say between 1,000 and 3,000 deaths per year, 2% say between 3,000 and 5,000 deaths per year, and 3% say more than 5,000 deaths per year.

Australians are not interested in what our politicians are preparing to unleash on this country with those numbers if they're representative. Only 3% are cold-blooded enough, 15% if you're an optimist. They are just so woefully informed about what the government's plan actually means. What they actually want can only be gotten with what amounts to basically a zero COVID strategy. Maybe they'd accept more death if they knew what it would take to get under 100, but they're not being given the information necessary to make that decision.

A lot of Australians are gonna find themselves surrounded by a lot more death than they ever anticipated once we open up.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

CARP

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

So it's looking like the 2nd Pfizer shot is only good at preventing COVID for around 2 months (though still pretty good at reducing severity). Then you gotta get a booster. Which the data suggests maybe lasts 6 months before weakening but the data isn't good so who knows.

So. We effectively gotta get people 3 jabs because by the time we get enough people on 2 jabs the earlier people will need their 3rd. Then by the time we get everyone vaccinated we'll have a short breather before needing to do it all over again. Not at all a endless logistical nightmare for our health system.

Proper quarantine probably would have been easier I reckon.

McNugget Buddy posted:

lol the 2-dose Pfizer series is only good for 2 MONTHS

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1433352755696050177

Look at that dropoff after 60 days:

McNugget Buddy posted:

Pfizer booster lasts 6 months before protection drops off:

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1433352761127669760

CVS speedruns every 6 months!

It is now written!

EDIT: It's possible this data is hosed because Delta hasn't even been around 6 months

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

StrangeThing posted:

I understand that's what the report says, but no state is going to implement that after 80% double vaxxed.

It's going to be a LOT harder to sell restrictions with the pitch of less people dying compared to trying to end COVID or temporary measures to lower the curve. And contact tracing won't keep up. And our hospitals won't keep up. Gonna be interesting to see how our logistics keep up too with all kinds of interesting surprises potentially in store there.

Gonna be a real poo poo-show.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I want a pony for Christmas and I'll accept up to 17 innocent people dying in exchange.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Just to put some numbers to the question of whether states should open up to COVID:

https://kingcounty.gov/depts/health/covid-19/data/vaccination-outcomes.aspx

King County in the USA had 20 COVID deaths over the last 30 days... in fully vaccinated people. It has roughly half the population of Queensland. So we're looking at around 500 deaths per year in Queensland just for fully vaccinated people. Plus 4x as many people who just get hospitalized. Again only looking at fully vaccinated people. And COVID hospitalization stays are quite long. Plus a lot of those people who get hospitalized and some of those who don't will be getting long COVID. Plus all those sick days. Plus all those people staying home because they're worried about COVID.

Queensland's record flu deaths was 264.

I think this is essentially the ceiling when it comes to best cases, the basically everyone gets vaccinated and nothing goes wrong scenario. I left out any unvaccinated deaths. We could potentially get lower with restrictions in place, but in that case you're trading the restrictive border for restrictions on your actual daily life which seems counter-intuitive to me.

I have no personal stake in this because everyone I know is stuck here with me in loving NSW. Just hoping other states don't jump into the same situation we're staring down here.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The Artificial Kid posted:

I’m just annoyed that the guilty parties will get off Morrison Free, and probably all congregate for tea and medals after absolutely flubbing one of the easiest tests of collective action we’ve ever faced.

It's fun that the literal worst thing that will happen to Scott or Gladys is that they get voted out next election. And even that's not guaranteed to happen.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Wait for moderna is some bullshit, but wait for Pfizer when your age cohort was specifically advised to wait for it makes sense.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

StrangeThing posted:

I think it's a little rich to imply that we shouldn't feel sorry for people who can't cross borders right now. The argument that international travel has only been the norm for a short amount of time is pretty weak. For the past, what, 40-50 years, people have been able to travel relatively cheaply at any time. The only time this wasn't true was after 9/11 when travel everywhere shut down for a bit. We've never seen anything on this scale before so of course this hasn't factored into calculus re: whether someone should move states or not.

This isn't an argument for opening borders necessarily (though I do think the *outward* international travel ban is an insane human rights violation, not the *inward* ban), just to say that, "well, cheap travel hasn't been around that long anyway!" is a bit rich.

I could turn this around and say, "well, we haven't had vaccines that long anyway, just have to live with it" as a reason to open schools right now.

My supply of sympathy is getting hit pretty hard by all the people literally loving dying right now. I don't really have much to spare on people whose main complaint from the global pandemic is not getting to visit granny. It's like a loving skit where someone's being interviewed on the scene of a multi-fatality car pileup to complain about how the tragic event caused them to stop suddenly and break a nail.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

StrangeThing posted:

I'm sorry for your loss.

But I would always have sympathy for you during that situation. That's the point, really - that we should have sympathy for people cut off by borders, not to just dismiss it as people complaining they can't see grandma.

Except for children cut off from parents. That poo poo is deplorable and heads should roll.

I have sympathy from a personal level. I have no sympathy from a policy level.

Except for the kids cut off from parents. Seems like that would be a small enough number we could arrange something.

Feels weird to say this given the argument I'm making, but sorry about that Breetai.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Don't forget that the initial stages of the outbreak were poorly handled because the NSW Premier had gone all in on "No more lockdowns".

Man it was so infuriating listening to people talking about how the government just wanted us to be locked down, like Gladys didn't drag her feet as hard as she could. There's claw marks on the pavement where she was dragged kicking and screaming into locking down at all and people were still like "gladys just wan lockdown sheeple" :bahgawd:

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

StrangeThing posted:

I mean, over 50% of Australians have a passport. That’s higher than a lot of countries.

You'd hope a lot of Australians have passports when 30% of them were born overseas.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

aejix posted:

Nah mate you're way off base, I'm sure albo, the bag of pantry-moth infested flour with all the charisma of a half eaten urinal cake will lead fed Labor to glorious victory.

And Gladys has a real reckoning coming from.... who the gently caress even is the NSW Labor leader, is that even a real person or party? Do they actually exist? Find me one person in this country who can name them without googling for several hours

Weird that all the LNP's opposition seem like charisma-less nobodies to the public.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Labor haven't had a strong opposition presence since Rudd in 06-07. Maybe they just aren't trying, but I feel like the media has changed a bit since then and are getting better at not platforming Labor.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

All this coverage for one kid who wandered into the bush has me wondering how the first child death of COVID in Australia is going to be covered. I legit can't guess. It could go anywhere from completely ignored to people going nuts.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

From https://www.theaustralian.com.au/na...e08310871fa777e

quote:

NSW Health officials advised the state’s crisis cabinet to reopen the economy when vaccination levels were closer to 85 per cent but were overruled by Premier Gladys Berejiklian and senior ministers, who said 70 per cent cover was sufficient.

From https://www.nsw.gov.au/media-releases/roadmap-to-freedom-unveiled-for-fully-vaccinated

quote:

the NSW Government has worked with industry to design this road map

You love to see it.

I'm sure it will be fine.

Not at all a plan where public health has been undermined to serve industry. No sir. A good plan.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

freebooter posted:

They'll go with the happy medium: requiring people to be vaccinated to access services, but barely enforcing that requirement

Vaccination to access government services but the expensive, outsourced system to enforce the hoop-jumping check vaccine status is constantly failing.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

dr_rat posted:

Yeah, there does seem to be a bunch of 60+ who won't take anything but pfizer. Not the ideal, but end of the day if it gets more people vaxxed then good.

Spoken too a lot of anti-vaxxes over the last year or so, and more seem to be coming around. Really hoping by the time we get to the tail end of the vaccinations there's only like a die hard group of 5% or less who end up not getting it. Although I think once we get to a point where people are saying we've reached "heard immunity" the pressure on them might die down a lot. 70% of the population who can actually have the vaccine, isn't heard immunity people!

I'm pretty sure herd immunity is impossible with COVID btw. The protection conferred by the vaccines is not high enough. The best we can hope for is that enough people being vaccinated will allow our hospitals to remain functioning. But with our hospital systems being so neglected and gutted we'll probably still need various other measures to keep them floating.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

We're basically a vassal state and always have been when we weren't just a colony. We got handed over to the Americans at some point while the British empire crumbled. I don't think we can legitimately turn against the Americans because they own us. I legit think they would military coup us if we crossed the line.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Lolie posted:

Media is reporting that NSW will allow outdoor public pools to open, even in spicy suburbs.

Guardian analysis shows NSW could hit 70% double dose as early as 29 September. Gladys had better get a wriggle on and let people know if the promised lifting of restrictions isn't happening because announcing that at the eleventh hour will be political suicide.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...new-cases-today

That's cool. I'll only be ~2.5 months away from an effective double dose of vaccine at that point.

I'll likely be fine (even though if I ever catch COVID I am definitely dead) because I'm a shut-in with a respirator who will literally only leave the house to get the vax when we open up. What worries me is that if my vax appointment is that far out, other people are also going to have appointments that far out, people who can't just bunker down every day. Plus the children.

Gonna be fun hearing about a "pandemic of the unvaccinated" when the unvaccinated includes every child and a bunch of people who missed out because there wasn't enough supply to get the jab to them in time.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Halo14 posted:

Check out this website: covidnearme.com.au

My friend was able to bring his second jab forward by contacting one of those places. Instead of Oct 31 he’s now Oct 10.

The only faster ones in range of me are the AZ ones and I don't know if that's a good idea. My vasculature is all hosed up so the second I hear blood clot I nope out.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

StrangeThing posted:

This is some pretty serious fear-mongering. Pfizer effectiveness reduces against transmission, yes, but maintains its effectiveness against serious disease and death.

The Melbourne roadmap is completely reasonable and I've yet to see a realistic alternative..

Health workers are going to be under threat of exposure constantly and we can't afford to have them take time off sick during a pandemic regardless of how their sickness ends. Giving them the best chance of avoiding infection is a good thing even if we ignore the reduction of suffering as being an upside in itself.

Also if the government listened to CSPAM we wouldn't be having these problems at all so I'm not sure why doomerism is so bad. Kinda feels like a bunch of powerful people being relentlessly positive (or not giving a poo poo) about COVID is what got us into this mess. The world could use some more loving doomerism if you ask me. If you personally can't take the mental toll then fair enough go take a break and take care of yourself, but the rest of us probably should be dooming it up.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I meant more in terms of quarantining and locking down hard and fast and mask mandates and the like. We wouldn't have even needed the vaccine if we had proper quarantine and lockdown protocols in place early.

I mean they're loosening an already compromised quarantine system for international travel in NSW. That's insane.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

While I broadly agree with this and I don't think property investors are murderous capitalists relative to struggling-workers-trying-to-survive corporate shareholders, there's something more distasteful about property investing on the individual level. [...]

Yeah the big thing for me is that when you buy investment property to rent as homes you literally, directly make housing cost more by paying more than the next person would have.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

StrangeThing posted:

I'd actually argue home quarantine is safer than hotel quarantine, but that's a separate discussion.

I'm not opposed to your argument here in general but I don't have enough trust in the NSW government to imagine they'll do it in a way that is, or that they're doing it for the reason that it is, safer. It feels more like it's a part of their open up strategy and they're doing it because it requires less effort on their part and frees up the hotels for usual business as we open up.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I still don't understand why we're sending kids to school for a partial term. It's like 4 weeks I think? That can't possibly be worth it, especially with the vaccine availability not yet expanded to the relevant age groups.

Hooooly gently caress. Go look at what's happening in the USA for gently caress's sake.

Go look up the bunch of kids' pictures that were taken while they were on ventilators before they died.

You think everything is doomer because you have consistently underestimated the situation.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Solemn Sloth posted:

How good is 2021

Remember when people were so ready for 2020 to end?

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Come to NSW and you can safely dismiss every conference as useless garbage spouting forth from the most useless cunts on the planet. It's great.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

If we're gonna open up based on vaxx numbers it doesn't really make sense to do it equally because areas vary and the state average doesn't mean poo poo to a specific region if there's spread. Treat low vaxx areas like the LGAs. Hard lockdown for that area until the numbers improve.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

yoloer420 posted:

Nah that's just Scomo making up nonsense. The national plan doesn't say anything like that.

I can't see this resulting in a shitload of anger once certain people figure out what's going on.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I feel like government should have a policy (perhaps unpublicized to prevent perverse incentives) of only easing up on restrictions when %first dose and %second dose are fairly close. Opening up any time you've got a bunch of people just about to get their 2nd shot seems overly rushed. Then there's the period between the shot and maximum effectiveness. Doing anything less than holding off until you more-or-less stabilize at the max realistic vaccine percent before opening up is putting people at increased risk to save weeks.

Ideally they'd slowly roll things out and watch what happens, only releasing additional restrictions when numbers show the previous is sustainable.

The fact that it's just a bunch of changes at X% of pop with the 2nd jab makes it feel very arbitrary.

Anyway, personally I'm not changing any of my habits (staying in my cave) until after we've had time to see what the government plan does to the spread of COVID. Probably a month or 2 before we have a good idea of how things will go and have actual relevant data to judge risks and make plans around.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Yeah it was good seeing the vaccination% map where almost all of greater Sydney was 80%+ first dose and a lot hitting 90+. A lot of regional NSW is not looking as good though, hopefully we can get those numbers up.

The other thing I don't like about our open up is no requirement for masks outdoors. I'd like to see n95s for retail and hospitality workers as just standard PPE and at a minimum cloth masks required for everyone else whenever not in a private residence. Your mouth and nose should just become another thing you're required to cover in public IMO. If we do really well and COVID does become just the flu bro then we can consider no masks, but until then I can't see a justification for not requiring them. Acting like it's a huge burden is real dumb given the example Asia was setting even before COVID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

freebooter posted:

Nerdlinger mask chat has finally come to Australia

Alright fine.

P2 masks.