Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

squirrelzipper posted:

Ah, well thank you both (all!). I will hit the market board when I get home and see if that helps. It's a quest with waves of multiple mobs and I just wasn't burning them down fast enough.

You may be doing this correctly already but I'll post here anyway since I've see some streamers doing this the hard way.

In the scenario quests with waves of enemies the order you kill things is very important. Basically you want to get incoming damage down quick so you or npcs don't die. Kill anyone casting healing spells first. You'll learn to recognize their naming conventions, weapons and spell effects. Next take out any mages and archers hanging in the back. They are squishy and die fast and they also put out a lot of damage. Then I go for melee or any mech/gimmick enemies. Then finally I'll help take out the named boss along with the swarm of npcs you've freed up by killing everything else.

If everything is grouped up nice use your aoes but in my experience everything ends up spaced out just enough to make this hard and none of your npc buds will aoe.

I've seen multiple streamers go straight for the named boss and leave the "trash" to all the friendly npcs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
A shortcut in this process is you can right click the item in the hand over box and select the item that pops up next to your cursor. Then click Hand Over. Don't know why they do it but i've done it so often I hardly think about it anymore.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Zurtilik posted:

Is there something I'm missing because I cannot unlock Guildhests still at level 16? I even went to the Battlewarden in The Shroud. Did they change the way you unlock these?

They unlock after you unlock the regular leves introduction quest given at your starter inn. Once you complete that first leve unlocking they will say "oh you should go try these" and have you talk to the guildleve person. Just did this the other day on an alt and it's still the way it works.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
ARR was done fast and cheap. They had like a year to tear down and rebuild the game. There's a lot more voice acting as the game progresses.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
XP is infinite. Shake off the shackles of efficiency and enjoy the story.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Ouroboros posted:

It's such a bizarre choice. Why on earth make a game an MMO if you're going to do this? Single player games can do this so much better, making an MMO is a trade off where you knowingly sacrifice certain aspects of play so the game can fit around the always online world constraints. Why impose those constraints on your game then not take advantage of any of the potential of the medium? I mean I know some people play WoW basically exclusively solo, but I've never understood why or what they could be getting out of it. I'm utterly baffled that the game is set up like this, I'd never even considered it could be a possibility that I wouldn't be able to level with friends in an MMO.

I don't understand what you think you can't do with your friends. You can group up with them, you can do quests together, you can chat with them while doing this, there's tons of dungeons and trials that are mandatory for the msq that are designed to be run with your friends. I mean you'll have to drop group a handful of times for a few solo scenarios but that's it. You can just group back up again when those are done.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Pug Rodeo posted:

You really did all your leveling quests in WoW in a group? Not just instances and end game content?

In WoW most quests are kill x things where x is not a quick and easy number and there is competition for the mobs. A group can help make that much smoother. Not really needed here but it's still something you can do if you want company leveling.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
It will be extremely obvious when you reach the end of an expansion because they put a big in-game credits sequence at the end of the x.0 quests and again at the end of the x.5 patch quests. Reaching the end of an expansion is a big event like the end of an rpg and it's really nice the way they do it.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

catgirlgenius posted:

I honestly think choice of Class/Job can make or break you, insofar as getting to the end of ARR.

My first choice of Lancer was ok, but the Actions available to it were not particularly fun, and the quests were not exactly memorable. When I made it to level 35 and it didn't significantly improve, I took a break from the game. Momentary forays into Gladiator and Archer weren't much better either, and Arcanist was just a smidge more interesting than the others.

I did not finish ARR until I came back and went Rogue. Rogue was not all that special in the low levels, but the class quests were just so dang charming that it made it easy to appreciate the class. As soon as I got access to my first mudra, I was hooked.

If someone were to ask my advice I'd suggest pugilist as a good starting class. It's pretty lively from the start and has a good quest line.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Begemot posted:

Wearing ridiculous clownsuits is a rite of passage!

Back in the day, you couldn't unlock glamours until level 50, and even then it was a huge pain. There was a different type of glamour prism for every slot, and they had different grades based on the level of item you were glamouring.

Getting most of the bard set at 45 and the chest at 50 sure was a look for 5 levels. A generic tunic with everything else a garish troubadour getup. I like the set but it really needed that chest piece to pull it together.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Also if you know the npc you want is in the pile of names you can use numpad 0 to select and then interact with the npc. Works for any interactables.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
I need a glamour plate for every job Yoshi. Even the DoL and DoH ones!

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
I'm sorry did someone say they want LESS interaction with Tataru??? They already sinned in cutting her mining expedition.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
It's all good! We all need to support our cool and helpful Tataru!

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
And if you have extra character slots an alt is still a better way to re-experience the story in whole. NG+ is great to redo select content but it gives literally nothing else. An alt at least has marginal value when you've done the story.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Ouroboros posted:

Isnt she one of those creepy haunted doll baby race people? If so she can go to hell, along with the rest of that demonspawn

/blist add Ouroboros

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

I mostly play Red Mage so my UI is set up for that job primarily. Most of it is centered around the mana gauge. I have my Verstone and Verfire procs placed under their mana bars and Jolt II next to it to remind me when I'm in 80 content and oh hey maybe you want to remember to use your super cool 80 finisher.

My important cooldowns are just to the left of the gauge. My status info, split out, is below.

Above my hotbar block is my target info, target castbar (scaled way up), target status, personal castbar and limit break. Thinking now I probably should have included that in the screenshot but i'm too lazy to go find a target dummy and nothing there is very new and original.

To the right are the handful of abilities I just click. Verraise and Lucid. If I'm raising I'm also clicking the party list which is right below those two so it's quick to select the target and click raise. Lucid is also right there since raising is the only time I worry about mana so I frequently pop that after the raise.

To the left is my macroed hotbar setup. Clicking most of the bottom row will toggle and change the top row to combat jobs, dol and doh jobs, glamour links, text because i'm a terrible typer, emotes, more emotes and three of my saved uis - the current one, a version with much larger hotbars for jobs i'm learning still and one with most of the ui hidden.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
I play red mage almost exclusively. A lot of my glams are red but i'm not sticking to just red because that's super boring.

I also don't wear hats a lot of the time! :devil:

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

SirSamVimes posted:

please delete your job crystal :argh:

I'm the Warrior of Light. Ain't no one gonna tell me how to dress! I could show up in a snowman outfit and Kann-E-Senna isn't going to blink an eye.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Mine's named Mister to play off my Mr Mister cheezy 80's song name.

For those who've colored your bird what did you go with me? My buddy is a very pretty Lotus Pink.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Something that should be mentioned about GC turn ins. The turn in is chosen for you at the daily reset so if you are going to do a turn in you should do that before any other leveling of that job. So say you are really low level at the start of the day ie lvl 5, if you level up to 20 or something, your turn in will still be like some copper ore and the xp will be tiny. Do your turn ins first to get a chunk of xp and then do any other leveling for the day.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
If you want to get in to TPT post here and I or someone else in the fc can meet you in Ul'dah and you can use us to get in. You can click on a member to view fc details and from there you can apply to the fc. Also there's room in all of the fcs as far as i'm aware. They always seem close to full because we don't kick people who haven't played in months or years unless we need the space.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Duodecimal posted:

When I did Titan the first time, I assumed invisible walls surrounded the platform, like they do everywhere else where I actually do want to jump down.

The party did fine without me.

We've all been there friend

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
The side quests do flesh out a bit more of the situation but it's not anything that won't be explained in more detail during hw. And yes a coherent story is very important to the devs and writers. A lot of stuff in the early game is carried on or brought into greater importance later in the game as if it was all planned out from the beginning. It is nice.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
In Revenant's Toll look for the Outlandish Man and his quest the Legacy of Allag. It's required before entering HW and a good diversion from the 2.x quests/

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Leveling lancer all through the boring 111111111 spam for like 25 levels just to get raging strikes killed my interest in the job for years.

Old low level lancer was even more boring than it is now.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

shoc77 posted:

All classes are kinda boring at low levels though. Since you are already lvl 25, just keep going a little more and you'll get the iconic dragoon ability, Jump at lvl 30 which is great.

This was eight years ago. Lancer was literally put up full thrust buff and then spam impulse drive until the buff ran out. I went back to the job ages ago and it's fun but getting raging strikes back in the day was a chore.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
You're right misremembered raging strikes for blood for blood.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
There's lots of side stuff to keep you occupied for a few months. Level a few jobs to 60, try and get the fishing mount with ocean fishing, dabble in crafting and gathering, level up your gc squadron and get the achievement emotes, there's a bunch of content in this game that doesn't require an 80 job to enjoy. You can probably pass these few months pretty easy.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Alxprit posted:

Is there a quick n' easy guide to squadron content? I tried it for a bit but it seemed a little intimidating for not much reward, but I might as well try and earn those last lousy promotions

This is a pretty good text guide to squadrons

For the very basics of it, just keep running missions. It's worth running a few 1 hour training sessions from the roster board on the wall to pump up your stats. Just try and meet 2 of the stat requirements. If you can get 3 that's great but 2 is enough to at least try the mission and your squad gains xp even if they fail. You will fail but just keep trying and you'll level up. The special missions that come up a few times require all 3 stats to pass and you'll need to outlevel the quest by a bit so if you can't do it when you first get the mission just keep leveling. Basically keep pumping time and seals into it and you'll get there.

For actually running the dungeons with your squad the link above can give you some tips, but getting the achievements and the emotes from them is pretty simple if you cherry-pick which dungeons you run with them.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Vandar posted:

God that whole section was pain.

And then at the end of it they pull the twist LOL WE WERE JUST TESTING YOU and I'm like gently caress OFF the realm is at stake you assholes! :argh:

Psh you got there in plenty of time. And you got a really nice meal to boot!

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
I always saved them for when the sprites came out during the elemental weather since crystals and shards are useful in and out of the Firmament.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
You can really go wild with modifier keys for your hotbars

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Celebrity Ghost posted:

Something I keep forgetting to ask... (ARR spoilers) What's up with that scene where Cid gets his memories back and you float out of the sky to give him his goggles?

I took it as if you played 1.0 it's literally you, if not it's using the echo to interact with him in his recollection. At least that's how I head canoned it. Don't think there's ever been an official explanation.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Kyrosiris posted:

(and IMO Alt is easier for me than Ctrl or Shift).

I was going to post the same. Alt is easier for me. If you can get a mouse with a few extra buttons on it it also helps immensely but I understand if someone doesn't want to spend money on a mouse for a game.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

CottonWolf posted:

Jesse Cox (noted former history teacher) has done a FFXIV lore video. And IMO, it's really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaQ__5ZBwBc

Quoting from the main thread but this video is really good and a possible candidate for the op. Gives a really strong background on the geography and history of the game.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
I don't know the exact amount but I made quite a bit of money selling side quest rewards on the market. Probably at least a million gil. If you aren't on a trial it's something to consider on top of the nice little stories some of those chains tell.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
I never think anyone knows what they are doing. It's why I feel comfortable playing this game. I fit right in.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
One thing I don't seen mentioned much is the weird pace to msq levels towards the end of arr 2.0. If you are using the msq to measure how close you are to reaching the FFXV event you're really kind of looking at 46 as your goal. There are no msq quests at 47 and 48, only 3 at 49 and then you have the grand finale when you reach 50. Those last 5 levels of msq go really fast and many people back in the day had to grind fates in North Thanalan to actually progress the plot. This is the blessing to being so over leveled these days that new players won't see much of this xp gap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
The unaugmented versions of tomestone gear were removed. The augmented versions are still available and the only difference is the augmented versions are dyeable. It's a good change.