Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
Bitrate is controlled by the client - what did you set it to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TwoDice posted:

Bitrate is controlled by the client - what did you set it to?

bless you!!! :toot:

i didn't even realize that moonlight had any settings - by default it was like 720p and 0.5mbps or something. set it to native and cranked it up to full just for testing and it looks gorgeous now and stutters badly but that might possibly be because i set it to 150mbps

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Can you play black ops 2 on the steam deck? I’ve been wanting to play old school zombie maps and two of them are DLC only on 2. I know I can play black ops 4 on my PS5 zombies, but on my growing list of reasons to get a deck, zombies is another strong justification.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

LionArcher posted:

Can you play black ops 2 on the steam deck? I’ve been wanting to play old school zombie maps and two of them are DLC only on 2. I know I can play black ops 4 on my PS5 zombies, but on my growing list of reasons to get a deck, zombies is another strong justification.

Testing now.

E:Zombies is extremely playable with very slight frame drops when a new wave is spawned.

Multiplayer is also very playable

I’ll update on single player in a moment

E:the single player campaign is a little odd. I’m getting 40 to 50 FPS on my LCD Deck. It’s smooth, just significantly less frames than Zombies or even multiplayer.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 23, 2024

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Your Computer posted:

bless you!!! :toot:

i didn't even realize that moonlight had any settings - by default it was like 720p and 0.5mbps or something. set it to native and cranked it up to full just for testing and it looks gorgeous now and stutters badly but that might possibly be because i set it to 150mbps

If your PC is connected to wired ethernet and you have a decent wifi router, it's butter smooth. I think my bit rate is at like 45 or 50, that's enough generally.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

tango alpha delta posted:

Testing now.

E:Zombies is extremely playable with very slight frame drops when a new wave is spawned.

Multiplayer is also very playable

I’ll update on single player in a moment

Thanks! Only way to play three pretty classic zombie maps.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Be careful changing proton versions on DD2. Apparently it triggers denuvo

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Be careful changing proton versions on DD2. Apparently it triggers denuvo

what a shitshow

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

DRM: fucks legit customers out of the software they paid money for, does basically nothing to stop the actual pirates.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Deneuvo sucks rear end, but if the dude knows enough about proton to be writing a compatibility guide he should have known different versions would trigger the install limit.

Like, that's the whole idea of different proton versions - they're treated as unique "versions" of windows as far as the game can tell.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Annath posted:

Deneuvo sucks rear end, but if the dude knows enough about proton to be writing a compatibility guide he should have known different versions would trigger the install limit.

Like, that's the whole idea of different proton versions - they're treated as unique "versions" of windows as far as the game can tell.

Counterpoint: who the gently caress cares if I want to install the game I bought 100 times on 100 different systems, so long as I'm not playing more than one at once?

Like, this is how we get some dipshit publisher arguing that you need to buy two copies if you want to play on your deck and your PC. gently caress that noise.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Commander Keene posted:

DRM: fucks legit customers out of the software they paid money for, does basically nothing to stop the actual pirates.

Unfortunately this DRM works by making it too fucky to bother with a pirated version so buying the game is less of a hassle.

gently caress the corpos.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rolo posted:

I heard Dragons Dogma 2 uses micro transactions for fast travel. Yikes.

In addition to what other people said, the game is basically designed around not using fast travel. The fast travel crystals (which you can acquire in-game in limited numbers) basically just seem like a "oh poo poo, I'm stuck in a dangerous place and low on health/items" emergency button. You're intended to run or use ox carts (which you can "doze off" during which will skip the trip until you either arrive or your cart is attacked by monsters).

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Cyrano4747 posted:

Counterpoint: who the gently caress cares if I want to install the game I bought 100 times on 100 different systems, so long as I'm not playing more than one at once?

Like, this is how we get some dipshit publisher arguing that you need to buy two copies if you want to play on your deck and your PC. gently caress that noise.

I'm not defending deneuvo at all, I'm just saying the dude maybe shouldn't have acted all surprised that he hit the install limit

The restrictions Deneuvo places on the content are well known.

Like, if I walk into a door labeled "we will feed you to illegally bred ligers", I shouldn't act surprised when I am in fact eaten by ligers, even if the ligers being there sucks.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I'm OK with Denuvo causing negative reviews even if the reviewer "should've known" that it would gently caress them over.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's still not great, but this limit resets after 24 hours or so, FYI. You're totally able to play the game on your desktop and Deck, the usual limit is something like no more than 6 different machines in one day, it's just changing Proton versions counts as a different machine.

It's not usually something that comes up, because who installs a game on 7 different machines in one day?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah I can count on zero hands the times I’ve even noticed a game was using Denuvo, this isn’t Spore style phone this number to get permission to install it more than twice in a year.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Automata 10 Pack posted:

yeah I stopped using decky because i got sick of all my plugins breaking and becoming obsolete, including the app itself. not worth it for features i could have with just a phone nearby. the proton badges weren’t even accurate.

I end up using ProtonDB and the Verified system a bit. I'm getting the sense that Valve can actually be quicker to update their system because a company is faster than an abstract crowdfunded thing people do for free.

edit: quoted the wrong person

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Lord Lambeth posted:

I end up using ProtonDB and the Verified system a bit. I'm getting the sense that Valve can actually be quicker to update their system because a company is faster than an abstract crowdfunded thing people do for free.

edit: quoted the wrong person

Uh, the "Steam Deck Verified" tag is notorious for being significantly slow to update - games that are tagged as less-than-verified take forever to get the green check when updated, and games with a green check that subsequently break something in an update are similarly slow to have that reflected.

And ProtonDB is literally where the badges the Decky plugin displays are scraped from.

I dunno, I find it super useful, much more so than relying on the green checks.

E: also, just looking at the Valve-issued tag is a terrible idea because there are games listed as unsupported that work perfectly, or that have "verified" because they technically meet the 4 (or whatever) criteria, but actually playing the game on the Deck is miserable.

Annath fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Mar 24, 2024

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Deep rock galactic survivor went from playable to green check pretty quick after they implemented a UI scale.

But yeah, proton db is really all you need. Even then I've had some conflicts but it's usually much better and there are details to help get stuff running better.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Suburban Dad posted:

Deep rock galactic survivor went from playable to green check pretty quick after they implemented a UI scale.

But yeah, proton db is really all you need. Even then I've had some conflicts but it's usually much better and there are details to help get stuff running better.

I suspect the more popular a game is, the quicker it gets assessed/reassessed.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Annath posted:

I suspect the more popular a game is, the quicker it gets assessed/reassessed.

They would be idiots to not do that.

It also helps that the DRG devs were way out in front about wanting that green checkmark and did the work to get there.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

The problem with protondb is that it only shows games available on steam.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

yeah imma double down

Most modern games you could disable or replace a handful of shaders, dynamically halve the polygons on load (there are techniques for this lmao), and load smaller textures and the game would play fine on the steam deck and you'd barely notice a difference

Ok maybe the ambient occlusion doesn't look as pretty or you might not make out all the little fuckin hairs on this one guys beard, maybe you cant see quite as far as those buildings or they look slightly rezzy, but who gives a poo poo.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Like does it actually impact gameplay that in horizons new dawn or whatever that my character has little hairs all over her face? like sure, if the system can render it, do it; for lower power systems, do you /need/ that to enjoy the game? is it going to break your experience if everything looks very slightly worse?

and I'd rather games do that than this "render to lower resolution and upscale" because that tangibly looks actually worse imo.

Yes, a lot of it is lazy development/capitalism. Why do you think modders can crank such gains out of ReShade, or good advice with a lot of games is to boot the same dx12 game in dx11. Since like way before OpenGL 4 a lot of "making it work good on lower systems" is just having a few alternative "pretty" shaders and model and texture sets and most of that comes down to "how much does the developer give a poo poo about lower powered systems". The actual /game/ is absolutely playable on lower powered systems.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Like to be clear, my point is that a lot of the time the game doesn't actually architecturally depend on new gpu features, that the parts that do can be easily, almost trivially, swapped out on load to less intensive equivalents, and that not only many developers refuse to do this but these days we have newer techniques for squeezing more inpressive poo poo out of older GPUs, it's just nobody does that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

alexandriao posted:

dynamically halve the polygons on load (there are techniques for this lmao)

aren’t these generally a great recipe for z-fighting between pieces of geometry that’s otherwise adjacent, given any moderately complex hull, as well as discontinuities in normals for otherwise-visually-continuous patches? this is why nanite was such a big deal, because doing polygon LOD automatically in a way that didn’t look like absolute poo poo was a huge timesaver and quality improvement versus having to tweak the decimated meshes

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

alexandriao posted:

and I'd rather games do that than this "render to lower resolution and upscale" because that tangibly looks actually worse imo.

They do this because it lets you target both both high end hardware and potato systems. This is how you release something that can run on a Series S and still has some bells and whistles to pull out for the person running a 4090.

Im sure there are lazy devs leaning on it as a crutch but it’s not all there is to it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

nice meltdown

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Thanks :unsmith: I wrote it in 5m while waiting for a stew to simmer

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

every pokemon game could run on the game boy and it's unacceptable that nintendo hasn't released them for it

unironically

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Yeah I mean the parody memes were funny but really just emphasized how little goons understand about game system architecture. There's very little architectural similarity between the PS2 and PS3, but the PS4 and PS5 onwards are for the most part just high-end PCs, and games build to the same pipelines and use drat near the same tooling and tech as they would on a PC. The PS4 runs FreeBSD and the only thing that makes the PlayStation platform unique in the modern age is that they have some custom architecture and some tooling around the shader pipelines. You can port that poo poo to PC pretty drat easily and that's part of the intent and why the industry's has solidified on this.

At no point was I trying to say that "wow spiderman for the playstation 4 should run seamlessly on a playstation 2!!!!" because yes that is a dumbass statement, the platform architectures and capabilities are incredibly different.

I am sorry to have forgotten that goons are incredibly literal-minded, but im glad we all had fun about it.

e: also ill shut up about it now and stop making GBS threads up the thread

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

does that mean you’re not going to point me at the miraculous pre-nanite runtime polygon decimation that doesn’t look like hammered poo poo?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

alexandriao posted:

but the PS4 and PS5 onwards are for the most part just high-end PCs

What? No. Even at launch the PS4 and 5 were about mid-tier PCs at best. It's not quite apples to apples because of having a single hardware target to optimize around, but a PS5 is ballpark equivalent to a 3700x system with an RX 6700 (or 3070/2080) and 16GB of ram. Even then the PC comes out ahead because the 16gb isn't shared between system ram and vram.

This is a big part of why they have so much trouble pushing 4k at both high graphics settings and acceptable frame rates, and a significant part of why the rumored PS5 Pro refresh looks like it's going to have some up-scaling in there.

Don't get me wrong, they're good machines. I've got a PS5. I like it. But if you're just going for raw performance it will get its socks blown off by a decently beefy PC.

Going back to my earlier comment, this is a big part of why you need easily scaling graphical options, and various upscaling methods are part of that. If anything the absolute high end of gaming is being held back by the fact that everyone needs to release on console, which means you have a far more modest hardware target that you not only have to meet but have to stay decent looking on. Keep in mind that includes the Series S which is absolutely a lower end machine these days. IIRC the video card is roughly equivalent to a 1650 Super.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

alexandriao posted:

You can port that poo poo to PC pretty drat easily and that's part of the intent and why the industry's has solidified on this.

lol, this is how you say "I've never developed for a console before."

I really respect how much you know about Linux; hell you've helped me out, but, to be blunt, you are really out of your depth here.

Look, consoles have RAM that reads and writes AT THE SAME SPEED.Sorry for yelling, but anyone who writes low level engine code for consoles knows why this is super important.

There's no difference in latency in unified RAM consoles. You can change RAM requirements PER RENDER FRAME which allows for some pretty cool optimization tricks that a PC simply can't do. Game ports to PC have to be mindful that RAM and Video RAM are generally two very different things with different access timing and the game engine has to be modified accordingly.

e:unified RAM is actually one of the main reasons the SteamDeck is so flexible. It's very impressive how Proton is juggling a bunch of render calls in a very low voltage hardware platform.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 24, 2024

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

lol, this is how you say "I've never developed for a console before."

Look, consoles have RAM that reads and writes AT THE SAME SPEED.Sorry for yelling, but anyone who writes low level engine code for consoles knows why this is super important.

There's no difference in latency in unified RAM consoles. You can change RAM requirements PER RENDER FRAME which allows for some pretty cool optimization tricks that a PC simply can't do. Game ports to PC have to be mindful that RAM and Video RAM are generally two very different things with different access timing and the game engine has to be modified accordingly.

e:unified RAM is actually one of the main reasons the SteamDeck is so flexible. It's very impressive how Proton is juggling a bunch of render calls in a very low voltage hardware platform.

Serious question coming from genuine curiosity - if unified RAM has that kind of an upside, why hasn't that become even a niche option in the DIY computer market? Obviously it'd require some new hardware, but I feel like if it was such a clear-cut benefit (from a performance standpoint) some company would have started selling PC components utilizing it for whales with more money than sense and a desire to squeeze every last atom of performance out of their hardware.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Annath posted:

Serious question coming from genuine curiosity - if unified RAM has that kind of an upside, why hasn't that become even a niche option in the DIY computer market? Obviously it'd require some new hardware, but I feel like if it was such a clear-cut benefit (from a performance standpoint) some company would have started selling PC components utilizing it for whales with more money than sense and a desire to squeeze every last atom of performance out of their hardware.

This is going to get a little technical.

Bus contention.

note: the bus is just a dumb word for how the information is transported inside a computer/console/supercomputer/whatever.

Pretty much every computing device on this planet needs some kind of memory and some way of moving information around between RAM/Storage/CPU/GPU.

Bus, get it?

Sorry, hardware architecture is boring so I guess the designers were trying to be whimsical.

The memory controller that manages the memory bus in consoles is a custom designed piece of hardware that is designed to manage EXACTLY 8 (or 16 in the new consoles) gigabytes of DDR5 RAM. That assumption makes designing the memory controller a lot easier because you can customize RAM performance. There are smarter people that can explain this better because this can get very technical.

tldr: It's way easier to design this poo poo with fixed hardware in mind.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 24, 2024

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Sorry, hardware architecture is boring so I guess the designers were trying to be whimsical.

Nah, electrical bus bars have been a thing/term since the 1800s. It's short for omnibus.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I’m glad someone with more technical expertise than me decided to go in on the “consoles are just PCs” thing because it enrages me every time I hear it. If it was true you wouldn’t need to spend time porting games to PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Games shouldn't be coded specifically in mind for one system architecture or the other regardless, particularly now when a PC version is effectively required.