Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Heran Bago posted:

I think I am done with the Beginner's Guide.

I bit the bullet and bought a Deck three days ago so I'll be reading up on this until it gets here. Cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Disappointing Pie posted:

Is anyone mostly using their Deck as an emulation device via EmuDeck? I'm always paranoid about the experience being compromised or decision paralysis over is this the best way to play these games currently? On paper for me it's perfect, I've been looking for the holy grail of big handheld emulation beast for ages, and this seems to be about it and I already own one. All I'm interested in is PS2 and under emulation... I just worry it's still a little too fiddly to be a great experience. I'm probably being dumb about this lol.

Are you me? This is basically my use case. Can't wait.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Streets of Rage 4 is the better game imo. But River City Girls is currently 58% off at Fanatical:

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/river-city-girls

It might also pay to wait for RCG as it's been in a few bundles in the past.

Streets of Rage 4 is so fun and gorgeous to look at.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Exploring Hades while sniffing plastic, happy holidays goons.

I like to put my deck under the bedsheet about 4 minutes before I tuck in so my bed is toasty and I get that computer parts smell

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

HopperUK posted:

It's great on Deck, yeah. I would just buy the base game until you're sure you really love it. The DLCs variously add a *lot* and the base game has plenty to be getting on with.

100% agree with this poster. I grabbed it when it came out for Switch years ago, and I still keep coming back to it. Great time killer, tons of content even in the base game (although switch came with Afterbirth).

That said I can understand why people don't want to look at Newground's style Flash buttholes. My nephews think its the most vile game they've laid eyes on and they think their mom would kill them if she saw it.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I picked up my Switch Lite after 2 weeks of Deckin' and holy poo poo it is so small. The entire Lite is the size of Deck's screen.

I'm also very impressed how well it runs RDR2, better than my series X.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I was thinking about getting RollerDrome but upon checking it out I saw there is no multiplayer component. The game still looks interesting but I was under the false assumption that it did have PvP.

Can anyone highly recommend it? I do like games in the genre (Jet Set, THPS, various other extreme sports)

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

History Comes Inside! posted:

I like the touchpads rumbling away when I stroke them

I agree with this absolute weirdo and think that the touchpads' haptics are up there with fan smell

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Why is the G key on my Judge Derek's keyboard look as though it's permanently pressed down on the touchscreen?

I've switched to a few other keyboards and it's still there. Is there some feature/utility here?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

Try using the touchpads.

Owned

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I have never played a MechWarrior game in earnest but I'm playing 5 now on Deck and it loving rules.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Squiggle posted:

They also just added "FPS" style controls for MW5 for controllers, whatever that actually means.

This is how I'm playing. It's got UI changes although sometimes they bug. It's very doable in handheld. I'm only a few hours in and it's perfectly serviceable

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

One thing I am having to reconcile with being a handheld only pleb is that PC games don't have aim assist.

gently caress yeah I love having HL2 or Titanfall2 portable, but I suck with the trackpads and joysticks make me feel like I'm controlling a boat.

I've been coddled by console shooters since 2006

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

FishMcCool posted:

Gyro aiming is pretty good if you can be bothered to set it up (or your game already has a community setup for it I guess). Splatoon totally opened my eyes to gyro awesomeness.

Same for me. But not being able to change gyro settings without closing the game absolutely sucks.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

RandolphCarter posted:

I just bought a deck, so be prepared to become tech support for a dummy, deck thread.

pro tip: you can adjust gyro sensitivity without having to close the game

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

How long does it take to ship a steam deck usually?

Mine came in 6 days (said it would take 7) here in the US of A.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I have got to share some praise for Adaca. Runs great on Deck, a very inspired HL2-like game. Even has a campaign as well as a Stalker/Tarkov open world mode that is separate from the 3 hour-ish campaign

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

TraderStav posted:

I have it on the Oculus and it's an incredible experience, with and without weed. I'm not kidding when I say it's therapy, it produces such a meditative and focused state that I feel better after playing it. Even better if you have headphones. I'm realizing that it's been far too long since I've played it and may dive into it later tonight if I remember to.

I'm not saying it's worth the price of a VR, but if it's not, it's close.

I first got it for PSVR many years ago and it was hands down my go-to Vr game. I rebought it on Oculus 2 because it really is a transformative experience. I get like, depressed, when I take off the headset.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I don't like that they're push on the back, instead of squeeze, because it confuses my brain. apparently there's some bumpers you can buy that makes them work like squeeze?

Yeah this is my largest issue with them. I'm used to my Xbox Elite2 controller that has the 4 back paddles. With they were triggers on SD.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

rafikki posted:

#decklife

What game is that? I dig the style.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I use a pair of entry level TurtleBeach headphones that are wired, think they were $50 (this was 2 years ago). I don't mind having to use a headphone jack and cord while playing video games.

It's movements like exercising and chores that trip me up with a cord. Even some wired earbuds trip me up and I end up tangled.

But for $50 these have served me well on Deck, Switch, and Xbox S/X

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I just put that Cryolite manager onto my Deck. Pretty wild that guy was able to pull something like this off. I'm not expecting the world here but from what he showed the was a decent FPS boost on a few games.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

loquacius posted:

Is Death Stranding an action RPG

it's a lot of things but ARPG is not one.

Honestly, DS is just like MGSV. but with the Kojima factor cranked to 11. You do a lot of walking and sneaking in big open areas and set pieces. You can shoot your way through bandits but its riskier than sneaking.

If you like the weirdness he puts in his games you'll like it.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

You could on PS4 with the dualshock

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Tayter Swift posted:

Steam Deck is roguelite central. Dead Cells, Hades, Undermine, Rogue Legacy, Isaac all that poo poo

Big fan of Hades, Isaac, Dead Cells...

I grabbed Noita recently and it's fun. Works well enough in handheld as well.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I'm also stopping in to say I'm super into Pizza Tower. The soundtrack slaps

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

I want to like Pizza Tower but the first time I played it felt like I was barely in control. Lots of sensory input while wrestling with tons of tech and being expected to go fast.

On top of that the UI and progression is purposefully confusing.

Once I have time to commit to just that I'll get back to it, feel like it will be more fun once I get the basics down.

It's one of those games that feels difficult to master but after level 3 it clicks. Like Rocket League, you'll learn the controls in about 10 minutes but it takes some time for you to feel confident

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Consummate Professional posted:

It is insane and wonderful. I’ve bought it at least twice and if it’s on steam I’ll probably buy it again

It was like $7 last week. I bought it.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I think I have one of those Apple made USB-c dongles to HDMI and another USB-c port around here in one of my drawers.

Has anyone ever used that. I assume it would be barely adequate.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Heran Bago posted:

It will almost certainly work well.

If it doesn't have power passthrough your "docked" sessions will be limited by battery life.

It does. Hot diggity! Better start rummaging

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I bought Terraria for Switch and its way too small to play handheld, both on Switch Lite and the OG. Deck's screen is the size of the entire Switch Lite but I can't imagine its much better.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

jokes posted:

I think it's great, personally, but I can imagine going from a large screen to a handheld is hard to do.

I bought it because my nephew wanted me to play it with him and I had to say "I'm too old, I can't read any of this" on the Switch. Glad you're enjoying it on Deck!

Speak of "games where you dig down" I grabbed Noita and it plays extremely well on handheld Deck. It uses a 360 degree aiming gimmick that works wonderfully with both the trackpad and the right stick. I like this game a lot.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Beat MGSV Ground Zeroes. Started TPP. Wow.

What an opening. I already know who the man on fire is and it doesn't make any more sense with that knowledge.

Thank you all for bringing this game to my attention; it really REALLY takes away most of the longing I have for 3. If it gets re-released, great, I'll buy it day one. If not, well, maybe I'll emulate it one day.

Until then, I'm loving 5.

I'm gonna go post in the MGS Megathread now.

The soundtrack rules. Find as many tapes as you can.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Its crazy to me that Minecraft is still massively popular, and among continual new generations of kids too. One of my best friends has a three, and six year old nephew, and they are both obsessed with Minecraft. Its their entire personality.

The best way I can wrap my head around it is "video game legos"

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Deck runs RDR2 better than my Xbox Series X. poo poo is voodoo

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Rolo posted:

Hey guys, I'm going to be changing jobs this spring to something that has me traveling a heck of a lot more. I love my Switch but I'm giving up hope of getting the library I assumed we'd have 6 years ago. I basically want to load something up with all the top-tier games I missed from the 2010's when I didn't have a PC. Also any Gamecube and PS2 compatibility is welcome. I have a RP3+ for my earlier retro library but would love to get more current games.

Anyways, I caved and ordered a Deck on Monday. Says it's packaged and waiting to be shipped. Hurry up and get here, sucka!

Welcome to the fold.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Vegastar posted:

Just reinstall it, should come right back with all your plugins in tact. Happens every now and again.

I thought I had been drinking too much because I was certain I had Decky installed.

I guess I'm just not used to pc/Linux gaming

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I use the Futurama video as well.

My 3DS has a dreamcast theme that makes the console boot noise and "spins up the cd drive"

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising is $2.50 right now. It's an older game and a bastard of ARMA. It's pretty much what you'd expect out of a more modern version of the OG Ghost Recon games.

Runs amazing on deck and has great handheld controls by default

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

It's the same engine so probably just as well.