Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So I got myself a Deck as an early Hanukkah gift and so far I am loving it.
I am also, however, as computer illiterate as a man 10-20 years my senior and know basically nothing about Linux. Like I see the github link for some stuff and some other things and have no idea how to parse like half of it. Is there any sort of complete idiot step-by-step guide on how to do some stuff like get emulation, compatibility, and other games lik Ship of Harkinian running?
Apologies for my ignorance.

Also! Uh, the discord link in the op seems bork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

deong posted:

EMUDeck is stupid easy.
https://www.emudeck.com/#how_to_install
Just download the installer and choose easy mode; save to an SD Card. Boom.

Ah, thank you. I was under the impression Retroarch was better? S'what some folks told me.
Do I need an SD card? I bought the middle level deck since I don't have a good SD card atm. Well, I do, but it's already on my Switch duty.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Thanks for the input! So what are some good SD cards, or is the OP still accurate in that regard, even if it's out of date on some things (Discord).

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Getting an 'invalid or expired' link when I try and join the discord. So either it's a bad link now, or something is up with discord on my end, despite everything else working just fine.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So I just installed the Heroic launcher to get my GoG crap on my Deck. Do I need to launch the games from Heroic every time, or can I add them to Steam like other games - or would I add Heroic? I just like being able to launch everything directly from the Gaming Mode.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Quantum of Phallus posted:

There's an option in Heroic to add steam shortcuts.

Awesome, thanks!

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So as another question before bed; as I wait for my sd card to arrive so I can get into emulation proper, are there any other non-emulator based goon-approved classic games reccomendations that work well on the Deck lik Ship of Harkinian and that Mario one? Wasn't there some decompiled Goldeneye or Perfect Dark a while back?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So I got 1964 GEPD running and while the game runs fine in the sense that everything ostensibly works and boots, I notice it's a bit choppy and seems to skip/stutter at times. Both games. I have had no problem with Ship of Harkinian. Is there a fix or something I've done wrong, or is GEPD just not as good on Steam Deck?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Hey, so, not sure where to ask this - I didn't see a general emulation thread - but like with Ship of Harkinian and how it works, can you use that as like a general emulator for Zelda OOT stuff? What I mean is like, if I plop down a romhack into the rom I'm running SoH off of, would I be able to play that romhack with all the amazing QoL stuff in SoH or no?

Like the text speed and other little stuff is nice, but holy gently caress is the free camera a game changer. Like I feel like I never really actually played the game before. I honestly do not believe I could ever enjoy playing OOT again without freecam. It's wild.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Ah, okay, thanks. I wasn't sure precisely how much information the thing took from the rom. Ah well.

But yeah, just reiterating that if you have a Deck and any appreciation for OOT, the game runs beautifully.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So idiot with no experience with Linux with three I'm sure very dumb questions
1. Is there a more up-to-date guide on emulation than the one in the wiki? Like just a little confused about what all the options and stuff do in the emudeck installer thing.
2. https://alephone.lhowon.org/games/infinity.html Trying to get Aleph One running up on this. How do I ./configure && make && make install ? Like how do I run things in the terminal?
3. I can't seem to find the way to make Heroic games from GoG launch in Steam :(

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So setting up EmuDeck and I see on the parser list some games have multiple options - like Mamehas the standlone, the retroarch, the retroarch 2003+ etc. Is there a guide anywhere with quick descriptions of each and why I would maybe want one over the other? I'm a bit lost.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So the emulator is insiting none of my Xbox ISOs work. I assume they are not the right xiso format, or is there something else I am doing wrong? It keeps saying 'please insert disc'
If it's the former, is there a converter for linux, or do I need to move these files to my desktop, convert them, then move them back to my deck?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Thank you! Now I just need to figure out how to do all that because I am a computer idiot.
Also someone should probably mention that on the emulation page on the wiki.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

njsykora posted:

I followed this guide.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSvdYMOBlko

The basic quick version is to unzip the program into a folder of its own, place the iso you're converting in that folder, rename it to remove any spaces or symbols and shift-click in the folder to show the command "Open PowerShell Window Here". Then paste this command replacing the filename with the ISO name to create an XBE folder.
./extract-xiso -x './filename.iso'

Then you can paste this command replacing folder to create an XISO from the XBE folder.
./extract-xiso -c './folder/'

Do you mean Open Terminal? If so, how do I make the commands run once I paste them? And if not, how do I shift click?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So few quick questions
1. I notice Xbox classic emulation seems trash. Is this because of Xemu or the Deck?
2. Yeah, reiterating; has anyone gotten 1964 GEPD running on this without issues? Mine seemed choppy when I tried and curious what you did.
3. Speaking of running stuff on this; anyone try Open X-Com yet? The idea of mobile X-Com appeals to me, but not sure how it would run.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I thought even JSRF - that's one of the main things I wanted - was kinda jank.
How come Xbox emulation is still so wonky? Wasn't the Xbox the first console to be basically 'literally just a lovely and highly specialized PC'? Like shouldn't Xbox emulation be trivially simple?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Has anyone installed this mod for Chrono Trigger on Deck?
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2436812910
it has assets for Steam Deck contoller buttons but I'm not really sure how to install the mod.
Thanks!

Why would you play the modern version when you can just play the emulated PSX version - the best as I recall since it had the uncensored Woolsey script plus the Toriyama FMVs - when or an emulated version of the original SNES one, with or without retranslation patches? Legit asking, not trying to be a snarky rear end in a top hat elitist here. What does the modern version add, I thought it was generally poorly received?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Commander Keene posted:

It doesn't load for like 30 seconds going into menus or combat, for one.

Like, the PlayStation version is generally considered the worst option nowadays. Play SNES if you're a Woolsey fanatic, play DS/Steam for cutscenes and new translation.

I thought CT only did that on the PS2 but was fine on the PSX and, I assume, emulation?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
True enough. I assume then that SNES is also then the best way to experience Final Fantasy 6?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So I never played Xenogears as a kid and finally want to rectify that. I know that like a lot of the Square games at the time, it has a translation that is full of changes both deliberate and unintentional. Is there a uncensoring/fan translation patch for it - Romhacking.net just seems to have undubs - or should I just go in raw and blind?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So I notice that there doesn't seem to be an option for Xenia/360 emulatin in Emudeck despite the Steam Rom Manager having a thing for 360 games. Is my brain smoother and smaller than even I thought, or is this a legit thing?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Heran Bago posted:

There are multiple Mario 64 decompilations now. I have heard good things about Mario 64 plus. I suggest Mario 64 ex+. I am personally using Render 96, which replaces models and textures with something like the style of the official renders.

None of these are easy to set up afaik. There are YouTube videos with step-by-step guides you could try to follow along like this one or this one. Or even just official compilation instructions like these.

As a quick rundown, what are the differences between Plus and Ex+? And does Render96 do anything besides graphics? Like one of the nicest things about Ship of Harkinian is all the little QOL stuff. Like honestly having the free camera controlled by the right analog is such a loving amazing game-changer (hah!) I legitimately do not believe I could ever play OOT/MM again in their original form and enjoy it.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I suppose you could try adding it to Steam as a game? But yeah, it force-closes Steam if you have it open, so I'm going to venture a guess and say no.

It's real useful when you have a shitload of games to add, but sometimes it's obnoxious when it's like 'I just added/removed one rom, please!'

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Speaking of how the gently caress;
https://www.reddit.com/r/timesplitters/comments/f3m9tt/release_timesplitters_2_hd_dolphin_emulator/
So I got this and also the similar HD pack for Legacy of Kain on the Dreamcast. Since the emudeck does some stuff differently, does anyone know where to put these files since yeah?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Thank you! Just two quick questions about enabling the custom textures;
1. Do I have to do that every time, or does it remember?
2. Similarly, if I launch Timesplitters 2 straight from Steam do I need to do it? Or can I do it in the Dolphin launched from steam, since I am unsure with my current controller setup how the gently caress to get the dolphin GUI to show up because my brain is tiny and smooth like a beautiful marble.

edit: hrm. not seeing that folder although I found the dolphin poo poo. but no user. And the TS2 one wants 'Dolphin Emulator\Load\Texture'
The Legacy of Kain FWIW is Dreamcast.

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jan 24, 2023

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Heran Bago posted:

It should remember. Only RetroArch seems to forget stuff I set every launch.

I'm interested in both of these so I'll try them myself, probably this weekend. The subreddit you linked has a wiki that used to have some helpful info, but now that I check just gives a 403.

Nice. Please let me/us know how you get it working lol.
I'm still trying to get Sonic 2 Forever or w/e working too.

I know Valve are Linux fans, but it is still kind of weird how they went with Linux and not Windows or something for this.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Makes sense.

So to install something like this https://github.com/Rubberduckycooly/Sonic-CD-11-Decompilation we just basically right click 'open terminal' and cut-paste-enter those commands? Although I'm hearing from a friend that these wouldn't work on steamos for some reason?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Heran Bago posted:

They both work and look good. Here is how I got them going. I did not use the SD card or EmuDeck versions for this.

Legacy of Kain: Soul Eater Dreamcast HD texture pack.

The 7z for the Kain pack includes a copy of the Flycast emulator and the textures put into the right folders if it were a Windows installation.
I installed Flycast through Discover, opened it, saw the location for the next step in its settings, and closed it.
I extracted the Flycast+SR1HDRE contents into /home/deck/.var/app/org.flycast.Flycast/. This turned out to be incorrect, but I noticed the folder /T36802N/. Searching this indicated that it will be looking for the US version of the game.
I right-clicked Flycast in my start-menu and chose "Edit Application..." to get the location of the .desktop file to add to my Steam library: /var/lib/flatpak/app/org.flycast.Flycast/current/active/export/share/applications/org.flycast.Flycast.desktop
I opened Flycast again and enabled Load Custom Textures at the bottom of the Video settings.
I returned to gaming mode and started Flycast. It didn't seem to remember my settings, so I enabled custom textures again.
I started the iso. It didn't load the textures.
I returned to desktop mode and turned on the option to dump textures. I also used Flatseal to make sure it had write access to home. By observing the folders where new .pngs were created, I realized the /T36802N/ folder should be inside /home/deck/.var/app/org.flycast.Flycast/data/flycast/textures/. As far as I can tell, no where online points out that this is the correct location for loading HD textures with Flycast on Steam Deck.
I returned to gaming mode and tried with this location. Raziel's chest is an obvious indicator that it worked. It's a really good looking texture pack. There are some artistic liberties - for example the spirals on the ground in the intro are replaces with ammonites.

Timesplitters 2 Gamecube HD texture pack

I installed Dolphin emulator through Discover, opened and closed it.
I right-clicked Dolphin in my start-menu and chose "Edit Application..." to get the location of the .desktop file to add to my Steam library. It indicated this location:
/var/lib/flatpak/app/org.DolphinEmu.dolphin-emu/current/active/export/share/applications/org.DolphinEmu.dolphin-emu.desktop
But the /current/ folder didn't seem to exist, so I had to browse to a similar folder for /applications/org.DolphinEmu.dolphin-emu.desktop.

Following the instructions on the release page:

- 2.Extract the file to "Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Load\Textures"
I extracted to /home/deck/.var/app/org.DolphinEmu.dolphin-emu/data/dolphin-emu/Load/Textures/
The folder name, GTSE4F, indicates which version of the game to be using. Google shows that's the NTSC-U one.
- 3.Launch the emulator, select "graphics" "Advanced" and enable "Load Custom Textures" or untick and tick again if it was already enabled
I unchecked and rechecked.
- 4.Click the option to pre load the textures
I unchecked and rechecked.
- 5.Turn on Anti-Alliasing for better results (2X SSAA is good enough)
Ok. Left Widescreen hack enabled.

I returned to gaming mode and started the iso. The best indications that it worked were the pop-up saying it loaded custom textures, and the loading bannar where they added "HD". The game hitches just a tiny bit when performing certain actions for the first time. This may be the way to go for Timesplitters 2, and I'm not sure I'll bother trying the Homefront mod.

Awesome, thanks.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Has anyone gotten Daggerfall Unity to work and if so, any guide?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So I recently had to send my Deck off for repairs and they sent me it back factory reset - or more likely just sent me a new one I imagine. Anyway, since then, I've noticed Conker's Bad Fur Day, and the romhack of Gruntylvania - both of which worked and I played before my deck got a fresh install/replacement from Valve - don't seem to run anymore. I just get a black screen but hear the game sound just fine. I'm using retroarch in the Emudeck. I don't recall having set up anything special to make them run earlier - although maybe I did and forgot - but yeah. Anyone know what might be up?

EDIT: Just tried some of the other roms I have. It seems to be all of them. I tried Goemon so I know it's not just expansion pack games.

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 16, 2023

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Ah, thanks. Where in Retroarch would those settings be? Not seeing them from the main menu thing.

EDIT: Do notice when I was poking around, it says that the Dreamcast BIOS is missing. Do I need a Dreamcast BIOS for a nything? I've run DC 'roms' just fine.

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 07:46 on May 16, 2023

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Has anyone gotten into KOTOR 1 and 2 o their deck yet? If so, how do you install mods besides the workshop? Since KOTOR 1 has none and I wanna try https://deadlystream.com/files/file/558-kotor-1-restoration/ and as for KOTOR 2 there's a lot of stuff on the Reddit here https://www.reddit.com/r/kotor/comments/u350we/kotor_1_2_mod_builds_fully_compatible_modular_mod/ I'd love to try.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So I'm trying to get X-Com running on this and I'm wondering, do I need to install the Linux version of Open X-Com and futz around with that, or can I just download the windows installer and run that through Protontricks?

EDIT: So I got the appimage to run, nevermind, but it's saying the games aren't found. They are installed. Do I need to create a new folder and put the appimage in it with the gamedata?

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jun 27, 2023

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
S recently got some GOG games and even with heroic they seem to run poorly or not at all. I know they are viable in lutris but never used that before. I installed it and pointed it to the place heroic installed the games, but it can't seem to recognize them. What gives?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

SilkyP posted:

No lie though the deck has been one of the better purchases I’ve made in recent years

Same. I'm an idiot who's fairly computer illiterate and has no experience with or patience for Linux by and large and I still rate it a 10/10 purchase and I cannot imagine how much more satisfying a buy this would have been if I were even slightly less stupid and/or lazy.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Has anyone gotten Phantasy Star Online Ephinea running on this and if so, do they have an idiot-friendly guide for how to do it? I want to play but my brain is very smooth and very small.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Eyy, nice. Any Goons managed to get it working? Is it viable? Because goddamn I think either the GC version of PSO or else Diablo 2 is the single game I spent the most hours of my life with.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
What's the best way to get GZDoom and mods/wads running on this thing? I want to try Brutal Doom and Reelism and poo poo. I had a setup running before about a year ago but I had to send my Deck in for repairs and they wiped the HD and I can't recall precisely how I had it all set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Thanks! One more question; so I finally figured out Lutris. I want to have both a vanilla/DevilutionX Diablo install and a Tchernobog install running. How do I do that? Duplicate seems to do nothing.