Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Is there a larger bezel option?
I don't know what's wrong with your switch but 4-5 is pretty normal for them since the first revision.
My worry is valve would fix steam deck issues with revision 2.0 but looking at my steam controller v1 I worry that will never happen

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Waiting on Nomad Air relaunch where it's 4 pounds

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

So how's this with the wishlist I have for switch?
Daggerfall, might and magics, and crusader kings?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Gonna need this a a Bluetooth 3x3 grid of buttons for portable
First Funky Fighter
https://youtu.be/kYD8PYLVsFo

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Half a tb is "premium" dude AAA studios don't even think about optimization

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Is there such a thing as a small portable and good Bluetooth keyboard that is not expensive?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Dear Asus
Your thing launched, where should I learn about what you are doing with it for reference?
Don't say Twitter
Yours in Christ
Game Satan

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

It's a everything Asus channel so it's all In on the upcoming phone

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

How is diablo 4 portables is controller enough?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

What's the smallest stand that works.
No that's too big!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Had none of these issues with rog
Wish it had a stand and easy access gyroscope options
Out of the box options are dire untill hours of updates for bios and windows
It is nice to have normal use apps and multitasking as not a issue
Asus however doesn't have a ally specific place to read on what's coming

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I figured Rog chat fit here as were pretty much hunting the same accessories and both use steam

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

They list that Hogwarts game as deck playable is that true?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

thats my biggest worry about the newest gen of portable pc gaming "AAA" devs dont give a poo poo about optimization or file size. I'd like to think the current market is proving there is a reason to care but its still small potatoes vs switch.
Nintendo's whole creed has been gently caress it well make our own games and indies are supporting it because their games are naturally optimized due to scope and reach.
Would be nice to see Valve make a "handheld game scope" division but they would have to break off people from teams that are already not making games.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I like elden ring!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

alexandriao posted:

oh, which side would you take in the genocide?

just joking, iirc they don't give you a choice, it's nazis all the way down !

I don't know poo poo about the game other than wizard stuff. What's going on?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Always take unacceptable performance with a bit of salt. People said the same thing about dead space and Horizon Zero dawn and I beat both on the deck with zero issues

I have a coworker who wont play the latest Zelda because its unacceptable that it isnt 60fps.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Talorat posted:

The latest Zelda is a great example of why fps isn’t as important as people pretend because yeah, I noticed the FPS was pretty bad in the first few hours, but by the time I had gotten off the tutorial island I was having so much fun and was so immersed I literally didn’t even see it anymore.

Would I rather play a version of TOTK that got 144 fps and ran at 4K? Yes of course! But I chose to play Zelda rather than any game that could hit those benchmarks because it was fun

same!
Im praying whatever nintendo makes next launches with a Tears of the Kingdom DX

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

weird, mine must be defective as this didn't eject it and it reads

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Vic posted:

No way, I gotta try this

Man, I remember Daedalus I think it had music by Steve Vai and then after that discovered Frank Zappa

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Ones a party machine with two controllers and a stand. Tons of indies and a great selection of exclusives, battery life often hits 4-5 hours without needing to plug in. Also slim and easy to bring on a trip. It has a dope OLED option. It's aging weak 6 year old guts are limiting it's future from a developer standpoint quite fast and it's online is a joke.

The other is a lil PC with a library of stuff you already own but its compatibility is complicated.
Emulation powerhouse! Online? Unless it needs some third party launcher or some poo poo it's a breeze. It's os is constantly getting improved with new features. See that new/old game? There is a good chance this can play it like a pro and it's developer didn't even plan on that. Rules so dang hard. Wanna stream your own game from your own more powerful computer? Good news!
Battery life? Mileage will vary.
Multiplayer? You're gonna need a stand and more controllers, heck bring a battery pack, gently caress it bring a dock too. Gonna need a separate backpack.

Different leagues and mindsets. Complaints about joycon drift aside, I love them and on a trip joycons and a built in stand make the switch super comfy.

I wanna see steamdeck 2.0 have something similar. Not to mention portable multiplayer on one system has saved a lot of layovers and family reunions.

I probably forgot more issues with the switch. But the point I wanted to mention is systems be not just different tiers but mindsets.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I'd kill for both to make whatever is next even more portable.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

A switch and a gaming PC is the one true way. Ergo, a switch and a deck is perfect

Since Sony's putting all their exclusives on PC you miss out on what? Mobile games?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

What physical feature needs to come back for the next gen of handhelds
I vote Gameboy SP clamshell
I love a portable I can fold up and protect it's poo poo

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I won't be able to play WarioWare: Move It! on my Deck, so for that reason alone the Switch must stay.

How's Warioware Twisted

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Parker Lewis posted:

Clamshell design is nice for portability/protection but seems to always lead to hinges being the weak points on a system.

I know but like what if they were invincible

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

sounds like i'll just keep playing it on switch

No! Just do 20 things and wait while it gets smoother!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

And that's why we need to make fun of it.
Nah I like my ally, im more excited by valve support for the deck however but hey ally can steam too

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

3ds has games and wicked awesome themes

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Frank Zappa?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Remote play streaming maybe

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Ally has been handling bg3 like a champ on its 15 watt mode most stuff medium to high but when I try the wizardry of the amd upscaling thing it looks weird so keeping that off.
I have a friend on the deck and I'm keeping an eye out for any tips. It's nice that larian gives a poo poo about handhelds. They did a good job considering on the d2 on switch

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I gotta figure out what's the best power bank best buy has for this. They got https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sku/6432651.p?skuId=6432651this dell monster but I'm not sure how "portable it is

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I get good deals at Best buy and I hate having to find an outlet on trips. The dell one looks like they just took their laptop battery and put it in a case. 4 lights for an interface is a bummer

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Annath posted:

Currently 12 minutes into cloning my 512GB drive, and it's copied 89GB. Not sure how that translates into time remaining.

Says it's going at 32.7MB/s :shrug:

It's stupid fast but large files go faster that the billion little sys files so it's hard to eta well

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Pros:Starfield Runs pretty great on Rog Ally @1080 with lots of settings on low and it looks very good for a fallout game

Cons:Its kinda dumb and boring

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Ff7 remake is magic on ally I'm assuming same on steam
It's 40 on sale

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I like my Rog Ally due to its a normal rear end computer out of the box. I work on tech for a living so im used to having to deal with the quirks of it being a laptop

the pros are its a laptop
the cons are its a laptop

the quirks of windows 11 are annoying but it is nice to be able to surf normally with no effort

the day one updates needed to make this thing work properly takes about 3 freaking hours and that is the reality of a laptop but people expect it to be a console and return it since during those 3 hours its a hot mess

Asus wont give anywhere near approaching the support it should have if they ever want to sell a Rog Ally 2 in the future - Valve has been steller on that front

On the other hand it benefits from the "steamdeck verifiyed" mark for devlopers to aim for is sweet. If I see that I know it will run great or better on Ally or newer competitors

the 120 hz screen beats the decks but it doesnt beat the gorgeous Switch Oled for emulation it rocks

emulation is the main reason i got it and it being a normal rear end laptop is a huge bonus

that said I got it for 500 bucks

It came with a protection plan for 2 years

for 700 its just much less attractive

Going forward I would love to see a Steamdeck with oled and better resolution

And I would love to see the next switch innovate but keep its kick rear end battery life and form factor but I just dont see how they can and have it be more powerful

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

jokes posted:

I can weigh in as I have both and have done a lot of tinkering with the Ally, what are you considering between the two? Also, keep in mind the Lenovo Legion Go is coming out soon and it's basically directly trying to compete with the Ally. The form factor is basically the switch with detachable controllers but it gains a touchpad. I do not like the idea of the detachable controllers.

Broad strokes:

The Ally has significantly higher potential than the Deck, so if you want to play particularly graphically intensive games then you can do so more readily than with the Deck.

The Deck is better at sipping power, so if you want to emulate more or play indie titles for a long time on battery it's very likely you'll get significantly more battery from the Deck.

Deck has a bunch of issues with certain titles that are loving annoying, but are usually resolved with a little tinkering or adding a launch option, and you might have to gently caress with Linux. The display sucks.

Ally, and Windows, just isn't anywhere as purpose-built towards the form factor like SteamOS and it doesn't have a trackpad which sucks a lot more than you'd think. The display and touchscreen though, are absolutely top-notch.

Overall, I fiddle with the Ally SO much less to get into a game but I fiddle significantly more with the Ally to get the desktop/launcher environment working juuuuuust right.

Well said, also con don't buy white anything that is handheld without covering it up. Hand oils will kill plastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Medullah posted:

Gonna be stuck as a passenger for a 5 hour car ride next month. What's a good fun, easy game that I don't necessarily have to pay 100% attention to? I was debating getting Baldur's Gate but that might not really work well with a small screen, no internet, etc.

Every rogue like
Tiny Rogues
Slay the Spire