Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I like to whiff the air out of the top vent too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

There’s always tons of shader updates and I have no clue what they do lol

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I do but what do they do and why are there so many updates for them who are putting them out?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

For N64 controls with emus, I default to assigning the right stick to the c buttons, and also assign the left and right c buttons to the left and right bumpers and the top and bottom c buttons to Y and B. Usually that translates well.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Okay, how the hell do I add roms to Emudeck? I put my folder of roms on the card and linked the directory but all it pulled was for MAME.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Open Steam ROM manager in Desktop mode (you should have a shortcut on the desktop) and there should be an option near the top to Generate an app list.

I did, all it generated was the Mame roms.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Okay Emudeck won’t detect any of my roms over than MAME. I tried moving the files into folders, into one main folder, I tried putting them into zip files. All the parsers are on, what’s up?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

None of those are the ways they should be detected out of the box.

There’s a “roms” folder in the directory emudeck sets up and in that folder are a ton of other folders for the individual systems.

The roms themselves go in the relevant folder for their system.

Yeah I finally figured out that if you set a new location for roms in the emu setup (ie your sd card), Emudeck won’t create the folders that the parsers are looking for. So you gotta create your own folders under specific names for each system that the the individuals parsers are looking for and put the roms there.

And you can’t just dump them into one folder and set all parsers to look into it, because it can’t exactly tell what’s one rom from another.

Really wish they created those folders during setup because I reckon a lot of folks are putting their roms on an external SD card. PS2 and PSX games aren’t exactly small.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 18, 2023

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Red Dead Redemption 2?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

So is the ROG Ally any good? Kinda disappointed about the benchmarks and impressions from the couple of reviews I read (Windows 11 not being a very good handheld os, who knew.)

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

The Rog Ally does a great job showcasing what makes Steam Deck so great, and the work Valve had to do to make it possible.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

They should improve the screen. It’s only good by like, 2010 standards. Stick a OLED in that baby.

But mostly it’s just software they should improve. I’m wish they had their own version of the GeForce Experience.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Windows 11 loving sucks. I had to reinstall it three times so far because it eventually breaks to the point where there's no other option. Also, what kind of sick freak decided that right clicking to select a menu to go back to your original right click menu was acceptable?

Detective No. 27 posted:

If they don’t do a 1080 screen next, I’d be ok with a 720 OLED screen. The resolution gets fucky when docking my Deck to my tv and back, usually resulting in me needing to restart the game to get it back. That extra 80 pixels just isn’t worth the hassle.
I disagree, the 16:10 aspect ratio is great for the handheld's dimension. even with letterboxed games, having your Deck's battery and hardware status in the empty space is really nice. Yeah, there's docking issues... But the dock experience kinda sucks regardless, does it not? To sacrifice a nice feature so you can more easily have 720p games on low-mid settings blown up on a 4K TV... I'd rather just have a dedicated PC hooked to the TV and use the cloud save feature.

Regardless, Valve could just eventually fix that. They've been doing a fantastic job with the Steam OS so far.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 16, 2023

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

What’s the best way to play Doom wad games on the steam deck?

Also, is there an easy tool to access the vram usage now?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

v1ld posted:

If y'all are opening up the Deck to get to the SSD, consider switching to a thermal pad as well. Switching to the pad + JSAUX backplate has been a very cool haha upgrade overall. The device is cooler, less noisy and overall just ... happier.

All around a nice upgrade for a device I expect to be using heavily for the 2 years or so till we get the next one. That longevity is also the reason I put in a 2TB SSD at the same time as the termal pad, backplate and fan.

Video showing the thermal benefits:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aai2AtxenU0

Got some product links?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

"It looks like you've been attempting a lot of purchases in the last few hours. Please wait a while before trying again."

I'm going to kill myself.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

SEND A SUPPORT TICKET TELLING THEM TO UNLOCK YOUR ACCOUNT IT WORKS.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Kinda stinks that you could use the normal OLED in a week but may have to wait a month for the LE edition.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

My Steam Deck LE was estimated 2-4 weeks but… Shows that it’s packaged! They can’t just be sitting on it for a month, right?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Shipped with UPS. Tracking number doesn’t work. Lol.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Party Boat posted:

Basically yeah. The Deck has taken me from being largely storefront-agnostic to Steam or bust. I haven't double dipped on any games I've purchased outside of Steam yet but when Hades 2 launches if there's a deal that gets me the first game as well I'll almost certainly take it.

same. gaben laughs

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

So I did some reading and we are not supposed to put any screen protectors on the on the 1 TB or limited edition steam decks since they have etched glass on them?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Squiggle posted:

You can, go nuts, just don't bother with an anti-glare one.

But won’t the non anti-glare one just make the steam deck glossy?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

actually I kinda wish I got the 512gb model instead of the LE. The body is AWESOME looking, sure, but apparently the etched glass dims the colors a tad and you can’t put a screen protector on it without downgrading the image (glossy screen protector ruins the etched glass feature, matte screen protectors in conjunction with the etched glass ruins the image quality.) so I kinda have to play with this thing naked which… is unnerving.

and in regards to space I could just take the 512gb HD out and replace it with a 2tb sd. which I’d feel pretty good doing with a generic model rather than the LE model.

ah well, the LE body is beautiful. really should just be a choice and not a limited thing.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Is there a good way to download games with the steam deck screen off? I know the OLED panel is good, but I still don’t want to tempt burn in damage

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Foul Fowl posted:

i just bought the (non-glare) oled deck because i have no impulse control, but idk poo poo about poo poo, is there a recommended screen protector that will fuzzy up the screen as little as possible?
you can put a glare one on and negate the anti glare (while retaining the flaws of the etched glass), double up on the anti glare and fuzz up the screen, or go naked.

I’m going to just go naked and once the screen gets scratched up I’ll replace it with a normal screen with a protector. I do not really have an issue with glare, I think my face looks cool and I welcome it whenever I see it.

I wish I went with the 512gb because of this, I want to put a 2tb ssd in so the size doesn’t matter, but the body of the LE edition is sexy as hell (and really, they should be using this design with different colors going forward. The normal version looks like Tupperware in comparison.)

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 5, 2023

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

did a test and found that my steam deck le oled has four dead pixels

gently caress it, i'm returning it and buying a 512gb model. the body of the LE edition is awesome looking but I want something I can mod and put a screen protector on.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I found a, uh, solution to putting on screen protectors without getting dust trapped under the screen.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0BZWF1KB8?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Okay, maybe a little too much but… for 25 bucks it works. I managed to get a screen protector on a whole bunch of devices without a single one getting dust under it. And it folds up really small too.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Bought Forza Horizon 4 on sale because it looked cozy and after some difficulties getting by the Microsoft account sign up, it runs incredibly well. High at 50-60 fps?! How?!

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Is that capcom drm they’re injecting hurting steamdeck performance?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Sent a replacement request to Valve about my limited edition Deck having three dead pixels and freezing issues. They refused and pasted a bunch of “Tips for not freezing your Steam Deck.” I wrote a new ticket saying their response was unacceptable and they gave me the RMA request. In case anybody else has issues.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

What freezing issues?

It would just randomly freeze in the OS (gaming and desktop mode.)

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

After I used emudeck’s rom manager to add some game roms to my library, my OS got a little more… funky. Like if I move too fast between categories it snaps back to “great on deck”, and some more lagginess in general. Anybody else had this issue? The roms are on my sd card.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Shuka posted:

gently caress yeah road redemption used to play the gently caress out of that with my roommates

It’s so good.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

So I'm seeing a bunch of steam reviews saying that every Capcom game is busted on the Steam Deck now. Chat is this true?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Weedle posted:

rumor is this is all because that guy accidentally showed his nude chun-li mod on a tournament stream

should’ve lied and said they were hacked. loving dumbass

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

There are a lot of Steam Deck games that perform much better than was reported a few years ago. Proton + the shader stuff maturing, alongside the refined chipset in the OLED… Neat stuff.

Playing FF7:R at 45 fps right now.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Dramicus posted:

Also, Lumines Remastered is on sale for cheap. I played a lot of that on PSP and it's exactly as I remember it. Has very different strategies compared to Tetris.

Lumines is awesome except for the fact that by design there is a “perfect” method of playing the game and once you figure it out you cannot ever lose.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Pacific Drive seems playable at a mix of low to mid settings at 28-30 fps… until an hour in where you install a GPS system in your car and for whatever reason the frame rate tanks down to 15-20fps for the rest of the game.

So uh, yeah. Some optimization issues, would t recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

y’know. when I had the switch OLED and the steamdeck og, the differences in screen quality between the two was big enough that it made me appreciate the OLED on the switch. now that they’re both OLED… it just feels normal now. no longer impressed by OLED.

drat the brain’s ability to normalize all excellent things