Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I've actively avoided interacting with Steam for most of my life (not a fan of monopolies, even historically benevolent [as far as such things go] ones) and I spent multiple hours regaining access to my account so I could reserve a Gabe Gear.

Part of it is that I just like hackin' on stuff (Switches included), but part of it is that I like the idea of computer games but I just do not play games while at my computer. Couldn't even tell ya why, but I just never feel the inclination. If the same game is on the couch streamed via moonlight I might plink away at it, but if it's a game I have within reach and can insta-pause then you bet I'm gonna bust it out during work calls or when I just don't feel like getting out of bed, possibly 'cause it's the middle of the night and I'm awake for some reason.

If this can pull off instant-on, instant-off gaming like they claim it will, I and those like me are gonna be playin' a lot more games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

There is no bed in that bedroom -- of course it has free space.

Also cats care not whether your attention is occupied. They'll walk up and under your foot with little warning.

Ditto the dog except she's easier to hear coming. Unless of course my ears are somehow covered...

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I thought they were sayin' that people wouldn't even get the chance to pay for the device until December 2021, not that some people would then have them ship out that same month. Did I miss / misinterpret something?

sigher posted:

Gabe said that getting the price they did was tough, they're probably losing big on each Steam Deck but Nintendo does the same and they make it back on game sales so we'll see how that works out for Valve.

Word on the street is that Nintendo is basically the only hardware manufacturer that makes a profit on hardware.

Given the price of joycons, I can believe that.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

MtG: Arena can be much less expensive than paper magic.

And honestly I'm probably gonna play quite a bit of it on the Steam Deck. Probably with less lag than on any of my other computers.

Because we've reached the point where you need high-end gaming components to play a card game.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

Very excited to play roguelites and JRPGs on the go (i.e., toilet), hoping that pause/resume is as good as it looks for old farts like me who can only sneak in 15-30 minutes of cheeky gaming

Have they actually shown pause/resume or just talked about it?

I watched the IGN video and while they talked about it a lot I don't think I ever actually saw them pause to black then resume.

Makes me think it's not as instant as the Switch or they would've shown it off front and center instead of dancing around it.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I've been following Godot pretty closely for the last few years. The polls come out and the overwhelming voting userbase identify as white males between like 18 and 34 working solo on non-commercial projects, though interestingly with a pretty even split between North America and Europe. So lots of hobbyists.

But it's definitely been getting a lot of more formal attention over the last year, grants from foundations and funds from Patreon and whatnot, so it's definitely on its way toward emerging into the mainstream. And it is a joy to work with.

I'm actually concerned its popularity is going to water down its vision from a technical perspective. Like when they did a vote on which other programming languages they should support with officially maintained plugins, Rust made a showing.

Fortunately the devs called that one out as boneheaded.

The thing that got me to justify my preorder was actually the idea of running Godot portably so I can work on my hobby games on the go with controllers built-in. Which I immediately recognized as wildly unrealistic unless I can figure out how to get a reasonably portable keyboard that's good for lots of typing on. But then I fantasized drawing graphics using the touchscreen. Hopefully the touch screen supports glove-and-pencil style drawing.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I thought you identified as a sunken luxury cruise liner. Makes sense that you'd be posting in the Steam/Deck thread. (Former Star Citizen thread lurker; thanks for all the laughs).

And yeah Godot both benefits and suffers from being historically primarily developed by the people who wanted to use it. Most of the brick walls I've ran into actually had elegant solutions once I found out about them, but they weren't always obvious nor initially intuitive to me. It smacks very much of the kind of software I write at my day job where priority #1 is to get the stuff done in a way that works well for me myself. Documentation comes later if at all. And if people wanna go about doing it the wrong way that's fine; the knowledge that there's a better way to do it is enough to avoid pondering the fact that so many people are initially inclined to do it wrong.

I've only done a bit with shaders and lighting, so I'm very willing to believe it's one of those weak spots where the devs didn't really have a need for it. It's interesting to see how things change as it garners interest and funding.

I think what turned me off of Unity was that 2D was a second class citizen, a special case of 3D, whereas my main interest lie in making 2D sprite-based games. Which these days require shader magic to accomplish 8-bit palette swaps.

Uh also now that I think about it I have added features to the core Godot engine code for my own personal use. I should probably document them. Maybe even tell other people about them...

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Yeah. I'll enjoy it as a hobby device regardless, but my casual gaming engagement will go way up if they nail that suspend/resume functionality like the Switch had.

Even modern awesome games like Yakuza 7 don't always have the option to stow it when life interrupts. Which in turn usually prevents me from opening up games in the first place.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

sigher posted:

How the gently caress does a card game struggle to maintain 30?

It was written in Java.

I'm not saying Java is a bad language, but it certainly smacks of someone who writes enterprise Java for their day job using the only tool they're familiar with, one which isn't well-suited for game development out-of-the-box, to develop a hobby game on the side.

Incidentally I write enterprise Java for my day job and at one point used it for some gamedev. Fortunately eventually I stumbled across a game engine that I liked, but there are some data-driven game ideas I have that I'd still be tempted to write in Java just because I have strongly-typed Stockholm syndrome.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Makes me feel better about pickin' up the finally-just-released Isaac expansion on the Switch. I was kinda lookin' for an excuse to start over on that game but what I'm not lookin' for is an excuse not to play it for a(nother) half a year.

Vic posted:

No Deck? Aw heck.

This makes me giggle disproportionately.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

FZeroRacer posted:

if anything i think people are vastly underestimating the steam deck because of how much having a standardized hardware profile contributes to the ability to actually optimize games for the platform.

Flagship franchise title SMT:V came out for the Switch and only the Switch and its pause menu transitions run at like 6 (six) FPS.

Most developers don't optimize even when they have a single release target. Conversely, the ones that do will get anything that want running on potatoes much weaker than the Steam Deck (sweet potatoes I suppose; yech).

e: ^ No it will not.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I thought RetroArch just sucked because of its braindead UI (I had to use controller buttons to remap controller buttons and it updated their effects mid-remapping, meaning when I tried to swap OK with Cancel I ended up with two Cancel buttons and then Canceled myself right out of the remapping) and because it was forcing its bad technical ideology downstream (strongly encouraging via its monopoly of mindshare that emulators themselves conform to its schemes).

To hear that they have realbad actual ideology actually sucks.

Gonna continue not putting RetroArch on things, but a little more aggressively so.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

doingitwrong posted:

My growing belief is that the target market for the Steam Deck is people who like every part of the gaming hobby except actually playing games.

Hell yeah. And ditto with hacking instead of gaming.

You should see how many Raspberry Pis that do awesome things that I don't remember exist once I've got them fully functional and stable.

Sometimes they bring down my internet.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

NmareBfly posted:

I'm reading most of these reviews as quite positive if you're the sort of person that doesn't mind dicking with your autoexec.bat to get something running, which is absolutely a huge caveat for some people but for me it's basically fine.

Took me many years to realize that I actually enjoy hacking recalcitrant systems more than actually doing anything with them. In fact as soon as they do what I want I lose interest and walk away.

Fortunately with modern technology that also means that a few months of not touching it in any capacity will cause it to require a new round of tweaking. Except this time the internet guides will be out-of-date.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

minusX posted:

To be fair, this is how most people will be playing big current AAA titles on the deck if they have the beefy PC in the house that can run it. Having the controller built into the handheld is nice but I'm sure I'm going to dock it to my nice TV.

If you're just gonna dock it, I'm currently playing Elden Ring just fine on my TV using a Raspberry Pi as the Steam Link medium.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

More like ship of thieveseus :colbert:

I wonder why those aren't allowed -- it'd be pretty ironic if they went to great lengths to DRM their emulator.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

How loud is the fan on this thing?

I used to like playing Switch in bed at odd hours. Fortunately my insomnia hasn't been so bad recently because unfortunately my Switch whines like a stuck pig any time it's on now, and for about 10 seconds after it's turned off. I don't think my wife would appreciate those sounds (in fact neither of us like them when we're awake).

I had the thought that maybe it was finally time to upgrade my Switch, but I'm Q2 in the queue and I don't wanna buy another Nintendo if I'm gettin' a Steam Deck in like two weeks (I delude myself).

But also I'm curious about noise level regardless.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

D'oh. But good to know in advance; thanks.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mostly came to post that I just noticed what the thread icon was, but I'd be interested in reading bullet points of good-faith criticisms though it shan't affect my personal decision.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ran out of steam on Triangle Strategy, lookin' to get kinda immersed in something ambient. Maybe even open world. Also my wife heard Things about Tunic.

It's unfortunate I had login issues and wasn't able to order one terribly early day-of 'cause I suspect my Q2 is gonna be on the back half. Though I'll be checking my email regularly.

Glad to hear it's holding up to the hype hardware-wise.

...Claudio?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I've got one word to say to that: Nah.

Nah nah na-nah nah nah, nah nah Katamari Damacy~

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Gonna be out of town for a bit starting late next week. Also decided to figure out how to run the calculator for the first time and it predicts... Monday notification.

What's the expected shipping time for California if I hop on that email as soon as I get it?

And what was the general consensus on places to buy SD cards? I got the cheapo model.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

If I'm an old can I set the FPS to 30 (29.97), or is it only fixed to a few values?

I'm getting tempted to start buying Stuff just because the calculator said my date might come up. Gonna try to abstain, but I'll at least be making some lists tonight.

e: Also do they have a date on when the official dock comes out?

All my google results are speculation from back in February.

Hammer Bro. fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 28, 2022

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Well, the one calculator said I should expect my email today, but it's now 11:05 and none of my emails are delightful ones so I'm tryin' a different calculator.

It says June 15th. Boo.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Heck yeah!

Got a surprise Thursday email after my calculated Monday one fell through.

But I'll also be in SoCal 'til Tuesday so I'm glad I don't have to worry about someone watching the porch while I'm not around.

Today has been shaping up to be a very good day for everything except my work productivity.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Are there any consensus-recommendations or important caveats on docks and chargers?

Don't want to wait for the official stuff to come out; do want to be able to play games on a TV.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

You could also call it the "Stream Deck" if you wanted to make a pee pee joke.

I'm certainly gonna piss off to play video games once mine arrives.

And by play video games I mean tinker with the OS and stuff.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Huh.

Looks like I won't call it anything for a few more days. Paid early morning last Thursday, current shipment tracker says no delivery 'til Monday. That's a long 11 days to ship.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Why are you calling it steam deck in the first place

Don't mind him, he's just a Steam Dork.

In other news, my shipping estimate got moved from Monday to Sunday. Deck yeah!

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I suppose it's a bit technical but it's pretty easy to enable sshd then use SCP to transfer files to/from the deck. Though if those words are unfamiliar they're probably best avoided.

And I'm not 100% certain that my recent must-enter-password-on-bootup issues are unrelated, even though that was a different account/password I messed with.

Still, it was nice installing mostly-non-Steam games and seeing them maybe-work. The only one I spent any time with was Magic Arena, which also is now giving me grief.

Anyone installed MtG:A such that it doesn't try to redownload its whole 5GB payload every time it boots up?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Now that I have a few under my belt it's surprisingly easy to copy over a game I had installed on Windows (and its save files), set up their icons, and have 'em ready-to-go.

Not that I've played anything yet, mind you. But I've gotta make up in nerdiness what some of you squander on entertainment.

Stux posted:

went to a mystic earlier this week. told me in no uncertain terms the words "steam dreck". but what could it mean

It means that if you want to enable sshd, for security reasons it's better to rename the default account to something clever. Something classy.

And whoever bought that new avatar, I guffawed.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

henkman posted:

I call it the steam dreck every time I turn mine on

I renamed HDMI 2 on my TV to "Dreck" to automate its correct and proper announcement.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Stux posted:

was reading on gamatsu that gabe himself christiened it the "steam dreck" how does this happen?

I think he was just having a bad beard day so the reporters got confused. It can get pretty gnarly when unkempt.

Though I have it on good authority that he actually got the idea for the console while at a fancy Chinese restaurant. He asked how they could make his waterfowl dumplings so succulent, and they responded with words which would live in infamy:

Steam Duck.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

veni veni veni posted:

My brain hasn't quite adjusted yet and I still hear that something is coming to/getting updated for switch and I'm like "oh cool" for a second and then I remember that I have literally no reason to ever pick that thing up again unless the words Zelda, Mario, or Metroid are on the screen.

Right now I've been leaving it docked (though I've also found that most of the games I want to play require a mouse so that may change), and I still don't have a good solution for waking it up that doesn't involve me walking over there and navigating the awkward docking situation to press the button. That's currently a point in Nintendo's favor, though I hope to neutralize it.

jokes posted:

Also, how should I do the desktop configuration if I want the right stick to be a scroll wheel. Like I want to hold the right stick up to scroll up and down to scroll down.

From Desktop mode you can open Steam and go to the Settings menu in the top-left to configure the controller for Desktop mode. I don't recall exactly how it looks and it took me a minute but there are four large rectangular areas at the bottom; the left one is the D-Pad, the second is the left joystick, the third is the right joystick, and the last is for the face buttons.

Select that third one and you'll get options; one of them is very likely to set it as a scroll wheel.

I've gotta do that myself for Cultist Simulator in a bit.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

jokes posted:

The problem is that when I set the thumbstick as a scroll wheel it’s very… not right. Like it doesn’t actually scroll down when I pull the stick down.

Ideally I’d push the stick down/up once and it’d be like hitting the down arrow once, but if I hold it down for longer it’ll scroll until I let the stick rest again.

For the game I just set that up with smooth scrolling isn't necessary, but if you configure the thumbstick as a d-pad then you set it to analogue instead of 8-way input then you bind up/down to Mouse Scroll Up/Down it'll kinda almost function like that -- if I just tap the stick up a little it only scrolls in a little, if I move the stick up higher it scrolls in more.

I don't exactly know how it works but again that got me to where I wanted to be on Cultist Simulator.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Joystick as scrollbar.

Quoting that for later.

Anyone know if there's a way to browse community bindings willy-nilly?

Sometimes I suspect a satisfying binding would exist but not specifically associated with whatever I'm running.

And whoever decided that all mouse actions should be right-hand-only is killing me. (Literally. Gotta mix up the left and the right to temper RSI.)

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Thanks to whoever called out Crystal Project. That's exactly what I'm looking for in a game which is portable/pausable right now. Though I hope it doesn't wait too long before allowing me to mix two class skillsets; I'm almost maxed out on Rogue.

If only the charging cable were a little bit longer so I could comfortable play from handheld while plugged in.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Is there a keyboard equivalent to the Steam Button when not in Desktop Mode?

I was playing a game then plugged into the TV then didn't have a good means of cleanly exiting the game so I could switch to Desktop Mode.

Alt+F4 will send you to a logon prompt which was not something I was expecting (though did allow me to reboot the system).

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Alternatively just slap a pair of ear muffs on top of small wired earbuds and get ~30dB of passive noise cancelling on the cheap.

I'll be doing that when I next go on a gaming journey (some might call it a Steam Trek), and I might even pick up a new pair of wired buds 'cause my old ones are wearing out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Yes-please to the good-for-Dreck sale posts. Valve did their job and finally coaxed me into their ecosystem but I've no idea what's good (except Crystal Project. Which is good).

GreenBuckanneer posted:

My coworker says the 512 edition is probably like January because they're only like an hour into the line of preorders vs 6+ hours into the line for the 64gb version

Sounds like hogwash reddit math, any truth to it?

I was a few hours late to preorder the 64GB version, I wanna say like 4, and I just got mine two weeks ago.

Lines up with my armchair observances.