Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s been a minute.

I got my order in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This guy is pretty good too.

He’s a mostly retro game guy

https://youtu.be/gAFN5HRQeZk

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shammypants posted:

So a few more confirmations recently. Battleye and EAC will be compatible on it day 1 so that many shooters will be playable online. Also discord will be available day 1 without installing a new OS.

Those are pretty big tbh.

It’s going a long way towards making it so you don’t have to use Windows.

Windows on the Aya Neo “works” but it’s definitely not the most ideal situation tbh.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Veotax posted:

So how does Proton work? I've never used Linux so I've never looked into it. Would more or less any Windows app be able to run through it?

Basically I'm asking if I would be able to install the Epic Store on this thing to play Hitman 3 without having to dualboot Windows 10 or something.

Its an emulation layer tailored specifically for steam and its games. AFAIK its not open enough to install any windows apps directly through it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FBS posted:

Now that I'm a day removed from the horrible order experience I'm excited but glad I'll have a chance to see reviews before my opportunity to order comes up (Q1 here).

I went with the 256GB mid-tier, and I was kind of surprised to see how much more popular the top-end 512GB version has been. I figured 256 is enough space for whatever games I'm currently playing and I can use the SD card for storage, or just rely on my good home internet speed. And I'm curious to see how distribution works out between the three models, it seems at least one of the preorder groups is bound to get screwed with only a trickle of their SKU being made.

Yeah I'm surprised how many 512's have sold as well.

I have to imagine that they will put out a press release on Monday giving a rough number of preorders they have as a way to build more hype for this thing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shammypants posted:

I was tempted but I have no idea how good the screen is. If it's great I will change my mind.

IMO its $5 and you get it back if you don't like it. I'd put the money down and wait and see how things shake out. If you wait too long you'll be in Q3 2022.

If you are on the fence just do it by the time your order comes up there will be loads of reviews and teardowns up so you'll know for sure if you want it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

Valve has been collaborating with anti-cheat vendors for several years now and the promised compatibility has never arrived so I wouldn't hold my breath.

While this is true now they have a significant financial incentive to get their poo poo working.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

The APU is really impressive and should be a lot more powerful than the 4500U in the Aya Neo, but would Valve be able to make an ARM version at some point? That would require translating Windows->Linux, x86->ARM and maybe even 32-bit to 64-bit, but apparently the M1 MacBook can get decent performance running Windows games through a VM so it might be possible.

box86 with Wine lets you run 32-bit Windows applications on ARM Linux devices like the Raspberry Pi, but not 64-bit ones. Microsoft took ages to get 64-bit programs working on their ARM Surface laptops so I don’t know how long it will be before you can do this on Linux.

The whole point is to get much better battery life of course, and it wouldn’t need huge fans and vents to stop it from melting in your hands.

While I don't regret getting my Aya Neo lol at least I'll get a good 8 months with it before I get my deck.

As for ARM I guess it depends on if they can get a good ARM chip. They certainly won't get the banging Apple version that's for sure but if there is a decent spin off then maybe?

I have an M1 mac and it is fuckin legit and honestly with no hyperbole it drastically changes what it means to be a laptop. It runs circles around the intel / amd versions while having fantastic battery life.

Edit:

repiv posted:

The M1 has hardware extensions specifically to facilitate fast x86 emulation, and no other ARM core on the market has anything equivalent

Maybe... eventually?

Yeah this. I'm sure other people are working on something similar but who knows how that is going to shake out.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SCheeseman posted:

I found a few single sided 1TB drives out there when I looked, seems most of what I could find got pulled out of enclosures and put on ebay.

Yeah my GPD Win Max specifically states it has to be single sided.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah that is how the Aya Neo does it and I was really surprised it doesn't have one at the bottom.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

I’m thinking about it more for the emulation scene. I think it’ll be able to run circles around all the current available Chinese handhelds (though they are in way different price ranges).

Well its also faster over the high priced chinese machines as well (aya neo GPD, one x ect ). Its also about 300 cheaper.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

init posted:

What do people think about the GPU on the steam deck?

2 tflops sounds pretty good for such a small screen. I'm running an RX5700XT on my desktop which has ~10 tflops of fp32 performance (for a 1440p/144Hz screen). 2 tflops looks like it'll be plenty for a 720p screen at 60Hz.

Battery life is probably going to suck, but that's not unexpected for these kinds of devices.

One of my coworkers just ordered one of these as a replacement for his laptop. He says its more powerful than his current (Linux) thinkpad since it has a Zen2/RDNA2 CPU/GPU combo while costing less than half the price of his laptop. Valve must be subsidizing these quite a bit.

It’s a good GPU for the screen size yeah.

Imo they are losing probably $100-200(at least) on the $399 one.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Raffles posted:

I would say the fact the SD has bluetooth audio is one of the top reasons I’m excited to use it over the Switch. How Nintendo hasn’t fixed that with a revision yet I have no idea.

Yeah I don’t get that either and quite a few tech reviewers have brought that up. It would have been a good time to do it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Aya Neo costs 789 for 512 which steam is selling for $649. That seems like a difference that can be made up by partnering with AMD, not including windows, and being willing to break even rather than trying to make a profit.

Minor correction that’s the cheaper Kickstarter price the this is the actual retail price which even taking into account volume making up $300 is pretty drat hard

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also the Deck has gyro, full size sticks, and capacitive buttons / sticks which no other handheld has.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Escape Goat posted:

How many Steam games right off the bat are incompatible with that model because they require more space?

Well death stranding a game they showed in the video wouldn’t fit on the 64.

There’s a decent handful at least.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

repiv posted:

- SD card interface is slower than it could be (cost cutting or upselling NVMe, take your pick)
- Only a single USB port
- No Wifi 6

Little things that aren't really dealbreakers but would have been nice to have

TBF to the wifi thing during the Aya Neo build process they sent out an email saying they had to find a whole new wifi chip because the shortage is so bad right now. I have to imagine they didn’t go 6 because of that.

The USB port thing sucks I absolutely agree.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

repiv posted:

If you run the storage right to the edge there might be issues with installing updates too due to lack of temporary space, I'm not sure how Steam handles that but it's a common complaint on Playstation

PlayStation is the fuckin worst for updates. You need like 2x the space for the update or it fails.

I had to have 120gb free for a 60 gig update. That really sucks on a 600 gig drive.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Senator Drinksalot posted:

But if you want the pared down experince then just buy a switch, they are much cheaper

$50 cheaper.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

150 if you go for the lite

$300 if you get a 3ds.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Glancing at ebay, it looks like the 3ds costs more than a switch lite

lol 2021 sucks!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Game companies are already working on ways to make their games super scalable (take a look at what UE5 is doing) so it’s kinda a moot point.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

oversteps posted:

Holy poo poo, I had no idea. I was casually thinking of getting a 2DS for Samus Returns and... yeah, whoa. I clearly missed the boat there.

It's a shame we can't play most of the Metroid games on the Switch. Can't wait to emulate them on the Deck instead!

Nintendo over the past month has been putting out refurbished 2ds xls out for a reasonable price.

Of course they are gone in minutes if you aren’t watching for them.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m not sure why you are bothering.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kirios posted:

I take it back the steam controller owned and is still selling gangbusters to this day. Same with Steam Link! You can make the argument that those lead to the Steam Deck, but commercially? They were flops bro - your home is a shrine to failed hardware products.

Edit: Oh man I forgot about the SteamBox! There's potential in the Steam Deck, absolutely, but Valve needs to prove some doubters wrong on this one. Commit to it!

People have pointed out numerous times in this thread that the steam link is still receiving updates so while it might be a commercial failure they are still supporting it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kirios posted:

The Harmony remote still gets updates once in a while as well - that really doesn't mean anything. A software update for something like that is a trivial thing that can be managed by a few devs who are passionate about it - which hey awesome! But they never even did a hardware refresh, yeah? That's way more telling than bugfix patches with the occasional minor feature update.

Fwiw they didn’t really need to do an update. When the link came out TVs and phones where easily able to do steam link. Technology evolved and pretty much anything can run the steam link app.

It’s really not big “checkmate valve” thing tbh

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

repiv posted:

The Deck got a stealth spec bump

ram go faster

This is good for the GPU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It would be a really big win for the steam os if it could set TDP on a per game basis. Right now it requires user intervention and it’s a bit of a pain to figure out which settings work best.

Like if you want to run Stardew it would auto down clock to 5w and you would get 5 hours of battery.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Harrow posted:

I know I'm here late and Stux is already probated but what the gently caress is with this apartment size derail in the Steam Deck thread of all places.

Stux was being a way bigger poo poo here but honestly you both should've dropped this like two pages before you did.

Stux is gonna stux and people shouldn’t respond to him.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Apple calls this “App Nap”, I think.

I had to double check but it’s actually for background apps. I’m not sure Apple does it?

quote:

App Nap is a new power saving feature in Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks. When an application is completely hidden behind other windows and is not currently executing a task like playing music or checking for e-mail, Mavericks will deem that app “inactive” and put it to sleep to save power and free up your computer’s resources. This can have an adverse effect on your audio applications.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

repiv posted:

Shouldn't that be mostly automatic as long as you enable vsync? If it's not using the full performance of the chip to hit 60fps it should be able to downclock itself

A toggle to force half-vsync at 30fps would be good though

You’d think but no. If you take a look at all the other hand held devices people constantly gently caress with the TDP to get better battery life on a per application basis.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sigher posted:

They also showed Control and I remember that being a taxing title (but that might just be RTX poo poo doing it).

It’s taxing even with no RTX going on.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

v1ld posted:

Wonder what the default charger is for the Deck. I doubt it's over 60W/3A given the low power components in it. Probably closer to 30W.

Pretty sure it’s 45 W.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m surprised this video hasn’t been posted yet.

https://youtu.be/e3HnDR7A8yE

A new video from ign and valve

Big quote

“We haven’t found anything that this device couldn’t handle”

“Everything coming out this year has been running without issue. “

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 23, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yet another confirmation that the SSD is a separate module and they did that for repairability.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok one more video.

This guy reviews all the PC handhelds and he gives 8 things about the deck that people might not know.

https://youtu.be/tuVtM-MYRro

I honestly had no idea about the etched glass nor needing a special cloth to clean it. Also his number 1 is just what everyone was talking about when it comes to sleep mode. There’s already a big list of stuff that works or doesn’t work with sleep mode.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok I lied

Digital Foundry did another longer video about the deck and they make some really good points.

https://youtu.be/4Dd_bazOYOY

John talks about ergonomics and he makes a really good point about the grips and button placement being really comfortable.

I know that I had to get a grip attachment and hori split pad pro to get my switch to be comfortable for me to play for extended periods.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

Well, someone on reddit showed that it’s like the same size as a Switch with the third-party big grips:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/...f&utm_term=link

Yeah those are the grips I have and it does make the switch so much more comfortable and the size in my opinion isn’t much of an issue.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hey so stadia might have a use after all!

All of the games on stadia are Linux so devs could just take those versions and throw them on steam lol

Hundreds of games!

RDR2 would be a neat one to get a Linux version of though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Marx Headroom posted:

Yeah I carry my switch around in a sidebag all the time. Deck will definitely fit in there.

Also the deck comes with a case by default which is actually super cool and good.