Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
I reserved a mid-range and I wish I'd reserved a top tier. I assume there's no way to change that without losing my place in line? I'm "Q2."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

SEKCobra posted:

I am so sad having been put in Q2, cause this could still be a very long wait for me. Serves me right for ordering a day late...

I ordered in like the first 5 minutes they were available and still got Q2, don't beat yourself up too hard.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

I thought about maybe sending support an email but I don't want to clog up their inboxes with my superfluous desires, I can hang with a mid range for this gen. I bought a microSD card for it already, it's just that anti-glare screen that's really appealing.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

I thought I was 5 minutes after orders went live in my hazy memory but I just went back and looked at my email and I was like, 5-6 hours after. I'm Q2. Yikes. Guess I've got awhile to wait.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

Finally was allowed to purchase this thing the other day. I almost passed because I'm between jobs but I figured if I decide I don't want it in a pinch I could resell it, but I secured a job later that day so now I'm super hyped for this thing.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

Mine arrived today and I got 2 unexpected days off from work so now I can fiddle around with it all day tomorrow.

I'm extremely happy with it so far (though I had a few minutes of feeling uncomfortable holding it at first that scared me, once I got used to it it started feeling really good).

Of course now the problem is "What, out of the near infinite supply of games out there, do I play?" I played through Aperture Desk Job first thing, which was a great little valve thing, then started dabbling around in Bioshock 2, Guacamelee (I've been holding off playing this game for a portable device for years, for some reason), Metal Gear Solid V (I had a rough time with this at first which was making me worried, but I think if I go back to it I'll get used to it again. I was also on a particularly annoying mission).

Anyway, yeah this thing rules, and I just took a job where I should get some down time to use it at work, so I'm pretty hyped.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

So I'm doing the steps to set up Gamepass on this thing and I'm stuck on the step where you add Microsoft Edge Beta as a non steam game. It just doesn't show up in the list of non-steam games to add, no matter how many times I add it to steam from the application menu. Anyone had this problem and get past this? I'm googling the problem but having trouble finding anything that addresses hangups at this step.

edit: resolved it, it was just adding the game to steam and skipping a step for me, so I had like 6 Microsoft Edge browsers in there.

Got it working though and this is pretty sweet, but of course just adds even more poo poo for me to decide from when playing, oy!

edit 2: So I got PS5 remote play working too with Chiaki but it only works on my local network. Anyone know how to get that working outside a local network? Port forwarding has always been a bit of a weak point in my tech skills. I'm on Comcast/Xfinity. My router claims to let me do it and I used a guide to set up port forwarding, looked up my local IP, but I'm not sure how to get it to gel with Chiari itself. Once I set up the original PS5's settings I can't seem to find a way to go in and edit them. I'm also not sure I did the port forwarding right in the first place. if anyone's figured it out and has an idea, I'll try whatever is thrown at me tomorrow night.

caldrax fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 4, 2022

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

I just played Bioshock 2 remastered entirely on the deck. Hate the hacking in that game, and the early game balance was kinda hosed, but overall I enjoyed it. Not as good as the first game of course but the novelty of playing it on the steam deck really helped.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

jabro posted:

Steam Deck arrived today. Thing rocks.

Having an issue with Xbox Cloud installation. Microsoft Edge installs fine but when I add it to Steam a popup to Add a Game is supposed to happen. It doesn't and when I try to manually bring it up MS Edge is not in the list to add it. Anyone have this happen or know a work around? It's very annoying

I had this problem and then I checked my library and it had already added a bunch of times, so I skipped to the next step in the process and was able to get it working from there.

Also I just wanted to make a note of how good the buttons and analog sticks feel on this thing, maybe better than any of my other controllers. Makes me want to pick this thing up so much more than my other controllers. Steam Controller 2 with a better form factor would be cool...

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

Question regarding emudeck and the SNES emulator, I want to map the dpad to the left analog stick, this seems pretty basic but whenever I change the mapping in the controls it just ignores it, I've gone into several settings and haven't been able to get it working. Anyone know why this might be/what the trick to it is? I've tried setting it within the retroarch settings and the steam controller settings, the only impact I've had so far is breaking the dual-stick menu shortcut.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

Bloodplay it again posted:

In the Retroarch quick menu, the very shortcut you broke and I can't help you unscrew, has a section labeled Controllers. You go here, not in the main settings section labeled Input. In that menu, you can change the left stick to digital and it will function like a d-pad. Games with 4-way directions will be pretty annoying but games with 8-way are totally fine.

if you open Retroarch itself, you should be able to rebind the quick menu button combo to L3+R3. I don't think you can get into the quick menu without having some content loaded first so once you rebind quick menu, launch a SNES game and use your shortcut to do the above.

Thanks so much, that did the trick (though my menus were named slightly differently than this, it led me in the right direction) I was able to fix the L3+R3 thing by just resetting the controls in the steamdeck menu

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

Had a hemangioma explode on my left hand tonight shooting out blood all over my floor, so now I'm in a splint to keep my hand from exploding while I wait for surgery, on the bright side this got me to try Slay The Spire as I can't do fast reflex games with this thing on, and dang, this game is cool and I wish I'd tried it earlier. Just got through the first boss before bedtime, a good card battler once in awhile really hits the spot.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

Warpinator / Winpinator has been a pretty easy way to get files to my deck, for me.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

Just did the first hour of Stray, half on my PC on my TV and half on the deck, beautiful game, I'm compelled to knock over every item I come across. Worth the wait.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

Kaddish posted:

SkillUp mentioned really poor PC performance - no issue on the deck for you?

I've seen a few framerate hitches on both the PC and the deck, but nothing game breakingly bad. I'm not a stickler for 60 fps though.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

A testament to this thing's ability to get me through games: I just finished Arkham Asylum, which I've been popping into for a few minutes once a year or so for about *9 years* - literally got my first achievement back in 2013. 2 computers and a deck ago. Insane. Bringing it to work with me and just powering through when I have nothing better to do really helps a lot.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

Anyone messed with Shadow of Mordor on the deck? For me it's displaying keyboard and mouse controls rather than controller prompts. Also the map function doesn't work controller-wise. Any tips on resolving this?

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

Weird, yeah, defaults... Wondering if maybe it's because I'm at work with no wifi and that confused the setup somehow, it did pop up a warning about playing offline. I'll fiddle with it more when I get home tonight.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

caldrax posted:

Weird, yeah, defaults... Wondering if maybe it's because I'm at work with no wifi and that confused the setup somehow, it did pop up a warning about playing offline. I'll fiddle with it more when I get home tonight.

Yeah, got home and tried it on wifi and it worked. I hope it was just a one time thing and I'll be able to play offline in the future.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

Being off network hasn't really been an issue with me much so far, most games just go "oh I can't go online" and then go about their merry way, the Shadow of Mordor thing was the first problem I've had. But I haven't tried many games that check in with servers. Metal Gear Solid has been flawless without a net connection, except for one time when the cloud save didn't sync and I accidentally loaded the wrong one and lost one side mission's worth of progress.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

tithin posted:

Got a steam deck;

is there an easy way to transfer files between the steam deck and a PC?

warpinator on the deck, winpinator on the PC has been the way I've been doing it

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

I'm on my first road trip with the deck and I'm very pleased so far. I played Arkham Origins on the ferry boat from home and some Cloudpunk tonight in my cousin's apartment in NYC. I wouldn't complain about longer battery life but it's long enough that I can play my generally desired session time without fully running it down. So glad to have this thing.

Also I won't discount anyone else's experience with the texture and feel but personally once I got past the first ten minutes with mine and adjusting to the way you hold it, it quickly became my favorite "controller" so to speak. I genuinely enjoy the way the sticks and buttons feel.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

Imaginary Friend posted:

Is there a way to set the fps limit depending on game rather than globally?

Yes, there's a slider right by it in performance settings that says "use per game profile" - you'll see it when it has a game open and then it'll say "using settings for x"

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

For the month of Halloween I'm playing Silent Hill 4 on this baby and the experience has been pretty much flawless (lackluster game combat notwithstanding). I'm realizing just how much this game embedded in my head and my deep seated fears back then, and how little it scares me by comparison today. I'm already further into the game than I ever made it then in '04 due to easily powering through sections that once terrified and confused me. It's kind of therapeutic.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

Skrill.exe posted:

Are you playing an emulated version or the GoG PC version? Trying to decide which would be better on the deck.

Emulated, I set up with Emudeck. I actually bought the GoG version awhile back before I had a deck but it wouldn't work on my PC, so I went this route.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

I was going to buy the dock but I just went through a few quick steps to set up the steam link app on my TV and with that and an Xbox controller I have full TV support with minimal latency (at least within reason for my eyes/hands), so I essentially have no need for the dock, at least for now. Saves me a few bucks and I instantly have the steam deck on my TV! God I love this thing. After some recent problems with tech purchases (my original PS5 was a lemon, for example) it's so refreshing to have gotten one that just works so well with just about everything I throw at it.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

I was just fussing around in settings and I changed the name of my steam deck to personalize it, I thought this would be an innocuous thing but now its stuck on a boot screen... Uh, was this a bad idea? I'm scared to restart in case its doing something important but its been like 5 minutes. Seems long for a name change.

Edit: false alarm, rebooted again and it came up and its fine now. Scary, thought I jinxed myself by saying what a breeze this thing is last night.

caldrax fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 11, 2022

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

Loaded up Peacewalker in PPSSPP but all my text menus are missing and the resolution is super low. This is via emudeck. Google/reddit found me a thread where someone said this may be related to running Retroarch? But I'm not sure how to turn that off. Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

njsykora posted:

Go into Steam Rom Manager and make sure the emulator you're using is the standalone PPSSPP and not the Retroarch core. They have separate parsers.

Ok so I don't fully understand this concept. Both are in there. Do I just delete the retroarch one? The regular one has a red dot next to it which indicates that it's disabled? The ROM manager is like "this looks complicated but it's pretty simple!" But it's really not simple to someone who hasn't done all this stuff. Do I need to find a bios?

edit: after doing some more research it's looking like this particular game may be a lost cause unless I want to install windows. Oh well.

caldrax fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 19, 2022

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

RBA Starblade posted:

Has emudeck stopped overriding saves and settings with its updates or should I still not bother getting the app

I updated it and my Silent Hill 4 saves were intact but those were in game saves not save states so I don't know really.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

Is it weird that I get a little kick out of messing around in desktop mode with the trackpads and just the built in on screen keyboard? It's slower than hooking up an external keyboard/mouse but it feels kind of meditative to slowly and deliberately move files and games around and get things working. I do it with twitch on in the background some nights when I don't feel like actually *playing* something. Too many vent fumes, maybe.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

I got the mid tier and then a 256 sd card to get myself up to 512, I don't regret my purchase, if I thought I could reasonably afford it I would've gone whole hog and gotten the big one and then split the drive with windows. I probably didn't need all the space I gave myself but it's nice to be able to store a decent chunk of games and put emulated stuff on there and not have to worry about having a few games in progress at a time without swapping.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

So I setup PlayStation plus streaming on this thing and got it working but I can't get rid of the top little bar that displays that says PlayStation plus and has the minimize buttons. It displays when playing games, too. I found a reddit thread on the subject and tried some suggested solutions but none of them worked. Does anyone have any ideas? I was wondering if ps+ had a command line prompt I could put in to always run in controller mode and to take away that bar. I've gotten it to disappear in desktop mode but not otherwise, and in desktop mode when I do it, it takes away my ability to close out of the app altogether (there may be a shortcut I'm missing to do so).

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Are you using chiaki4deck? I cannot for the life of me get it to connect. I can get my base64 id or whatever, my PS5 shows as discoverable, but it won't actually connect at all.

Oh, no, I'm trying to do PS Plus streaming. I was able to get Chiaki to work, though it took some trickery, that was awhile ago, I don't recall exactly what I did. I know for awhile there I would tap on the Playstation and it wouldn't wake up, eventually I realized I was pressing it wrong or something like that, needed to double tap I think. I've rarely used Chiaki because I haven't been able to make it work outside my home wifi, if I could do that I could abandon this whole PS+ thing,

edit: I got it to work via a little bit of a wonky trick, I made the left trackpad into a functional mouse for the app (programmed it as a trackpad in the controller settings for PS+ and programmed it to left click) and was able to load into games with it. The next question is how I'll get playstation controller trackpad functionality, as that doesn't seem to be here in this app (works in Chiaki).

Still, this app is way more wonky and annoying than gamepass unfortunately. Also is it literally running game streaming from a remote PS4? When I went to load up Assassin's Creed Odyssey it had a PS4 interface for copying my cloud saves. Like, I have a PS5, am I not able to cloud stream PS5 games? I'm not seeing a lot of my normal library, just PS+ games. I'm also not seeing a *search function* for games which is like, inexcusable.

Too bad, would've been nice to play some cloud PS games when I have down time at work but it's looking less realistic.

edit 2: lol I can't even load my save game from AC Odyssey because their remote PS4 doesn't have the same DLC I owned, so my save game won't work. What a trash app.

caldrax fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 19, 2022

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

I've had good experiences with gamepass ultimate on it in the past but that said I tried Pentiment tonight and it was like watching a datamoshing video.

It's unfortunate because the only real reason I'd want cloud streaming is to be able to take it with me away from home but it just doesn't reliably work anywhere.

Maybe if internet standards rise drastically.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

Mr Phillby posted:

I've had that couple times.

I don't think i'm on beta updates atm.

I swear i read somewhere it was related to the trackpads, i had it trigger when i was reaching for the Steam button and accidentaly mashed the left trackpad at the same time. Had to turn it on, off then reboot to get it to clear.

This happened to me tonight and I rebooted and it went away, but then my deck kept randomly rebooting itself after a few seconds of being on. I thought my battery was hosed, but when I got home from work just now I tried it plugged in and unplugged with Vampire Survivors for about an hour and it stayed on, so I'm hoping it was a fluke after doing the update that came up. Scared the poo poo out of me, thought I was going to have to RMA, the hours and hours of emulation installation I'd done flashed before my eyes.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

So I've noticed that it seems to not like sleep mode anymore? When I press the power button and put it into sleep, if I come back to it it has to fully reboot. Wondering if there's a setting that got changed or something, now.

Edit: tried another game, seems fine, maybe it just doesn't play nice with Vampire Survivors

caldrax fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 28, 2023

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

I just went to a friend's house with my deck and played Diablo IV with them all night while I was on deck and they were on dual xboxes. It was great. At the end of the night, I noticed Battle.net had an update and I went to do it, it doesn't seem to want to do it. I used this guide:

https://steamdeckhq.com/tips-and-guides/how-battle-net-diablo-4-steam-deck/

to install Battle.net

I'm wondering if maybe I should've done it a different way but I'm having trouble finding a clear example of how to install it otherwise and have it work properly. I reloaded the game and it still works, but if I can't do updates I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before it doesn't. Tips welcome. Would like to be able to keep doing this weekly.

edit: I just tried to install it via Lutris and via a manual install and Lutris just didn't work at all, the manual install didn't have trackpad support and also crashed when trying to update battle.net ... Maybe I should've just left it alone. Ugh.

edit 2: going back to the original install, hopefully it just keeps working with the pending battle.net update. I tried a rock paper shotgun guide and that was just a mess. I just don't like feeling unstable about this working on a day to day basis, but I'll take what I can get. I've got a proper PC to play on if all else fails.

caldrax fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 14, 2023

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

Gyshall posted:

Any suggestions on games, new or old, that play well on mute as a second screen type of activity?

Roundguard, a peggle-like game where you have classes and abilities and you're working your way through a dungeon. It's kind of simple but I work as a projectionist sometimes and need silent games and it's a good one to fill time with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

Just spent an hour getting Max Payne to load into the menus only to have it crash loading the opening level, instructions on the steam forums from that point were unclear.