Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

repiv posted:

simply tape a 25,000mAh powerbank to the back, bringing the whole unit to a mere 1.2 kilograms

Or attach via a USB C cable for not much extra weight. That's what I do with the Switch and a 20k mAh power bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

repiv posted:

now i think of it, since the usb port is on the top there isn't much impediment to just using a wall charger and long usb cable if you're playing on a couch or in bed or something

it's not like the switch where the port is awkwardly placed to use while gaming

For the Switch I leave the Nintendo charger next to the bed where I can play it plugged in, but it's awkward at best. On the couch I use a 20k mAh power bank as needed which is better.

The Switch has two power modes unfortunately. If you're using external power but the handheld display, it uses the low power/lower target resolution mode which is annoying. Maybe they're worried about the heat from the internal screen combining with the gpu at full speed?

Hopefully the Deck runs its hardware at full speed all the time and it's our problem to keep it powered. E: As in there are no caps based on internal vs external display. Happy to see it use low power states of course.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Dramicus posted:

Yeah, it's a little weird. While the initiatives may have been a failure in terms of adoption rate, the hardware itself was nicely designed and built.

I have the Link and 2 Steam Controllers. They're both excellent designs and very well built - especially the Steam Controller. The controller is definitely not for everyone and even I only use it in a very few titles, but there's no issue with the quality of the hardware build itself.

Valve generally seems to focus on quality and experience, both hardware and software.

Whether the Deck will change the market remains to be seen - sometime pointed out that the aggressive pricing may kill off the nascent offerings that were already out - but it's still good to have as an option.

As long as it's a playable and decent piece of hardware that retains its value for 3-4 years, I'll be happy with the purchase.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

repiv posted:

Say what, touchscreen? It's there on the official specs sheet

I would assume it just maps to mouse input by default so OSU should just work

Speaking of the specs they updated them again, it now says the dock has a 90 degree USB cable rather than the jank straight one in that preview video

I know OP wanted touch instead of mouse input, but wanted to point out that the touchpads are usually a better mouse input than a mouse for simple navigate to point and click. Source: me with all my laptops.

Joysticks are a lovely mouse replacement, not so those touchpads.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Boot from USB C would be cool. If it's USB 3.2, there's a lot of available bandwidth.

Wonder what the internal storage will be formatted as out of the box. Probably a native Linux filesystem. Pity that Windows can't read most of them since it'd be cool if we could boot from Windows over USB and run games installed on the internal storage without wiping the native SteamOS install.

Even if that's not possible, being able to attach an SSD over the USB C port and boot from it would rock.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Heran Bago posted:

Is there an official source that says you can install Windows on the thing though? I'm sure it will happen, but it'd be nice if the bootloader and BIOS just let you out of the box vs some hacky setup.

Gabe said you could in the interview on announcement day.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

repiv posted:

A non-technical user wouldn't intuitively know what to do, but with a YouTube video guide I think just about anyone could manage.

Even better if it's a video on how to install Windows to a USB C external drive.

I used the Switch a lot with an external powerbank over UBC C. Most of my hours in MH Rise were with a powerbank or a PD charger cable whilst in bed. It's totally playable with a single, long cable.

All the Deck would need is a USB C switch/hub with a long cable out so all of the components can be far from you while you play. USB PD into the hub can power both the Deck and an external SSD.

Wonder what the default charger is for the Deck. I doubt it's over 60W/3A given the low power components in it. Probably closer to 30W.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

They mention "force sensitive" touchpads as a new feature. The touchpads are lower latency than on the Steam Controller too.

The capacitative joystick being used to enable the gyro is a cool feature - they show it off a few times with the same video of the gyro not kicking in until the person touches, but doesn't move the right joystick.

Cool video.

E: They haven't mentioned d-pad within the touchpads yet, so I'm losing hope for that feature. This would've been the video to mention it in. May also be at cross purposes with a force-sensitive touchpad.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Ok I lied

Digital Foundry did another longer video about the deck and they make some really good points.

https://youtu.be/4Dd_bazOYOY

John talks about ergonomics and he makes a really good point about the grips and button placement being really comfortable.

I know that I had to get a grip attachment and hori split pad pro to get my switch to be comfortable for me to play for extended periods.

Lol @ Alex not being interesting in gaming on it but being excited at doing optimized settings for games on it. Happy lol, that being.

I had to get a controller-like joycons replacement too. This thing looks comfy out of the gate. Plus the extra two buttons - I've grown to like having 2 grip buttons on the XBox Elite 2.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Unlikely Proton will be able to handle DirectStorage anytime soon, even if it becomes common on Windows which itself will take a while.

The mobile, internal screen experience is not going to necessarily benefit a lot from next gen storage/compression tech. The Switch is proof of that. It's obviously good to have it, but as someone mentioned earlier there will hopefully be texture packs specifically targeting the Deck's screen that more directly balance compute/bandwidth vs visual quality.

E: not a direct response to ^^, post sat in the buffer for a long while.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 26, 2021

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah, it does depend on what DirectStorage can do. Can it do the PS5 thing of loading textures direct from ssd to graphics memory, bypassing CPU?

I guess Deck's unified memory architecture makes some interesting things possible here for decompression.

Where does texture decompression happen in modern games? On GPU or in CPU as part of copy to GPU memory?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I thought the Deck has the same unified memory architecture as the PS5. That's how I read the 16GB LPDDR5 - unified CPU/GPU memory. I assumed that was statically split based on game or some such.

Does it have dedicated GPU memory?

E: Unified as in: physically unified. May require page remapping tricks in the kernel to do zero copy to dedicated "GPU memory", but certainly feasible.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 26, 2021

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Volte posted:

I guess you're right about that. Though I'm not sure if DirectStorage itself will directly support a totally unified memory model since even the XSX has some weird memory splitting where part of the memory is optimized for the CPU and part of the memory is optimized for the GPU, even if it is technically unified.

You're probably right in that the GPU will be allocated some range of actual physical memory that is outside the kernel's memory management, while the remainder is managed by the OS. Having to go through normal kernel memory management may either be too slow or not even possible for the GPU. Does a modern GPU even have paged memory models? Don't see why it would pay for the overhead.

repiv posted:

From the presentation it sounded like they're focusing on "NVMe to RAM really fast" as an MVP, and fancier things like DMAing from the SSD directly to the GPU, or exploiting unified memory will come in a later iteration

Makes sense. It's already fast enough and more for what they're targeting seems like - modulo not running extreme ultra graphics settings at 720p.

Booted up Kingdom Come Deliverance for the first time and it warned me when checking out performance of the ultra settings that those were meant for systems of the future and I really shouldn't use them unless I was in that far distant future. High/Very high don't get that warning.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Bought my dad a 42W PD car charger for $15 recently and his Pixel 4A seems fine with it.

Here's a 65W PD3.0: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08F25BP4X/

E: Also supports PPS. Pretty nice for what it is. Can do 65W over just USB C alone or 45W + 18W if both slots are in use.

I'd be surprised if the Deck went over 60W since you need 5A certified cables at that point and it's unlikely they'll require a cable that most folks either won't have or won't be able to tell from the common 3A cable.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 1, 2021

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Wattage + USB PD features (3.0, PPS) is a good way to choose. PD has max voltage of 20V, so a 3A cable takes you up to 60W and you need a 5A cable to hit 100W.

E: USB PD devices seem pretty well behaved in negotiating power and dealing with various power sources. My PD laptop (45W charger) will happily draw power from a non-PD USB C port on my travel plug adapter in a pinch, that port can do 5V x 3A. Enough to keep it from dying and charge very slowly.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 1, 2021

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The other thing to look at on a multi-port PD charger or battery pack is how it distributes power over those ports when multiple devices are plugged in - the total power shown may not always be available or distributed well.

Bought this 2x PD charger a few months back and the chart halfway down shows the power distribution by active port: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08MX669V6/

So with 2x PD devices on the C ports, it gives 87W + 60W for example which is pretty good.

And that's all I know about PD.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 1, 2021

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

USB PD devices negotiate Power Source vs Power Sink. My (weak) understanding is that this factors in whether one side is plugged into the mains, if so that should advertise as Source. I'd expect your battery to only advertise as Source unless it's connected to something that has mains power coming in - a charger or a laptop that's plugged into a charger. So I'd ask RavPower about it first, before seeing if it's a Windows problem.

I've charged my phone from my laptop's USB C port and built in battery many times and that negotiation has just worked, the phone didn't try to charge the laptop though neither had a mains connection.

Never looked into the actual PD protocol though, dunno what the spec says.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The $69.99 20k mAh, 45W PD ZMI Amazon says I bought on 15th Aug, 2018 is still being listed at $59.99. Which is kinda pricy for a 3+ year old power bank without PD3.0/PPS, so yeah seems like they keep their value.

This Dual USB C 100W looks pretty good for $66, post coupon! There's also a $95 listing for the same bank with a bunch more reviews.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I'd search around some more though that seems like a good deal. I hate searching for USB power stuff between all the synonymous or adjacent products and the higher priced/higher marketed/often outdated products that flood the listings and make it harder to find the better designed (and priced) products by often unknown manufacturers.

The FCC has a 20k mAh limit on banks you take on a plane, but I've never seen that questioned at an airport though they come down on my toothpaste something fierce. 20k has been ample for my couch Switch/laptop use and is light/small enough to be a sweet spot of sorts, imo.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

It's 100Wh, just checked the FAA site. 160Wh if you ask for airline approval.

A 100Wh battery operating at 5V is 20k mAh (or 20 Ah). 5V used to be USB peak voltage before USB PD came along and allowed voltages up to 20V, so I suspect that USB power bank mAh capacities are listed at that 5V number.

Which puts 100Wh at 20,000mAh and 160Wh at 32,000mAh at that 5V USB voltage.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

FAA regs require conversion from Ah to the 100Wh limit at the listed voltage on the device which is 5V for USB banks, not the internal cell voltage. Hence the 20k mAh. Or 32 Ah with airline "permission", which probably means you're fine to carry that by default.

It'd be better if all of those services actually listed in Wh, but that's not the case for most USB power banks. The whole thing gets even murkier with PD allowing entire voltage ranges, but there you go.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

homeless snail posted:

This is getting ridiculously off topic but idk where you're seeing that, I'm on the FAA page looking at the regulations right now, the only limit in them is 100Wh for carry ons. Your interpretation doesn't even make sense, since they want to cover things other than 5V USB battery packs and these PD packs can output 20V anyway. The only thing they're concerned about is the energy capacity of the batteries and output voltage tells you nothing about that.

For reference, here's the pack I have, maybe your battery doesn't rate itself in Wh but this one does in big letters on the back https://www.ravpower.com/products/rp-pb41-26800mah-power-bank e: actually no this is a slightly different model, mine has USB-C and PD output, but it is 27Ah, and specifically bought it because they were advertising it fell within FAA regulations

You're right here, I think I got it mixed up from when I was looking at this 3 years ago. My bank does have a 72Wh rating on it in clear letters. Googling around shows a bunch of discussion from 4 years ago about some countries being extra strict on banks that don't have the Wh rating on them, where they assume it's the listed output voltage, but that's not a concern on any of the banks I see on sale now.

So 26,800 (27 Ah) should be baseline for a Lion-based battery and even up to 43.2 Ah falls under that 160 Wh range for those cells. Which is pretty huge.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

$30 3rd party docks are better than Nintendo's, even with their initially, and possibly still, broken implementations of USB PD and HDMI over USB.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Yeah, the indented touch pad was absolutely loving horrible for serious use like 2D platformers and action games. I quite like the Deck's layout though, I'd be perfectly happy to keep that and just transplant it to a controller instead of swapping out parts (but keep that too, for replacing busted components).

Yeah, the Deck layout is a nice in-between point with 3 control sets on each side as opposed to the 2 of any other controller, Steam or otherwise. Looking forward to trying it.

The Deck's pads seem to have lost click-ability altogether, hope both will still be at least one button each even if not a full dpad each as in the Steam controller.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I'm not a "is it here yet?" or hype person usually, but I am for the Deck. I've caught myself going "I'll wait on the Deck to buy/play that game" many times of late.

A moddable, portable console that runs PC games is apparently just what I need.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Same, pushed back to Q2.

Answers my question of whether to wait on the Deck to play BG1 again. I have it on PC and picked it up on iPad - surprisingly good! - but a mouse-based mobile console would have been perfect!

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

This is why people are still holding onto their Steam controllers for dear life, they aren't perfect but the functionality they provide is incredible. And it's not just touch and gyro, you can do really granular stuff as well. I have sprint in GTA set to double tap and hold on the A button, which triggers autofire instead of having to mash the button, and I have one of the back bumpers set to taunt on hold (L3 + R3) and the other set to run on hold and roll on single tap, so I don't have to take my thumb off the stick while shooting; I could also add something to double tap if I wanted. If you have a game that uses hotbars then you can set an input that constrains the mouse to just that region of the screen for ease of use, or you can even create your own pop-up menu of any size and shape with any command you want.

If you have a PS4 or PS5 controller lying around then you can try it for yourself; they have both gyro and touchpad, technically two as the touch bar is registered as two squares rather than one long bar. Other controllers work too, but the PlayStation ones have the most functionality. And of course, all of this will be possible on the Deck as well.

All of this. I bought a 2nd Steam Controller as a backup when they went on final sale. I only buy PS4 controllers generally, but did buy a Microsoft Elite 2 or whatever and was genuinely disappointed when I realized it didn't have a gyro in it.

The Deck's dual touchpads are a big part of its appeal to me, along with the Steam Controller software support that's built in.

I'm playing Baldur's Gate on PC right now and I know it will play just fine on the Deck with those touchpads enabling true mouse control. Bought the Switch version too and while there's a lot to be said about how they've managed to make it play well on a traditional controller using proximity-based contextual button prompts, the combat feels better with a mouse and I've gone back to PC.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

How can we cheat if we don't have Decks, Valve?

:qq:

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Same, I'm Q2 after getting the order in at 32-33 mins into the window. Was there in the first couple mins but Firefox's ad blocking prevented the purchase and I had to go run this meeting for the next 30 minutes.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Basically everything I play on my PC which tends to be modded games. I don't usually get the latest and greatest so the lowered specs are not a problem.

I'm planning on using it as a mobile continuation of games I'm simultaneously playing on my PC.

It'd be cool if there's a built-in way to synch the game installation between PC and Deck outside of using the same Steam mods.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

KakerMix posted:

It's a PC you can make any of the buttons do whatever you want

So much this. Steam controller binding code combined with a bunch of extra buttons and inputs.

I'll probably spend more time mapping inputs than playing the game, but that's fun too .. right?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeha that's why they should have used a normal controller layout!!!
+

quote:

im pretty sure a lot of people claw grip controllers

Hence why the normal controller layout isn't that great to begin with and we should all embracegrip the rear buttons.

Current controllers aren't that great, we're just used to its limitations.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Tamba posted:

It is. But it was also the only viable way to play Monster Hunter on the PSP :smithicide:

I never played it on PSP, though I had one.

Current MH lets you use either the d-pad to scroll through your items, losing control of the left joystick and your hunter and running the risk of being flattened, or using left bumper with the face buttons to scroll through your items, letting you keep moving the hunter.

I'll map that to the under buttons and have easy item and ammo scrolling ... if MH runs well on the Deck that is. :ohdear:

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

It's a pity the Deck's touchpads seem to have lost the Steam Controllers 4 clickable buttons each. They each seem to be a single button though, so all is not lost.

But 4 buttons each would have meant there's no need to use the face buttons or d-pad.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

homeless snail posted:

That's a software thing, you can divide up the touchpads however you like. They just don't have the markings engraved on them like the Steam Controller

It's not clear if you can with the Deck, if the hardware supports 4 separate buttons. I hope you can!

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

SCheeseman posted:

Yeah, it's in Steam Input itself. You can make the Dualshock 4 touchpad into a d-pad or set of buttons right now. If you really wanted to.

I have, for many games over the years - good to know that there's no limitation in the Deck touchpads that would prevent this then.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

forest spirit posted:

fake edit: I just tried to find that specific youtuber but I couldn't, they didn't have a physical controller on-screen but one of those overlays so you can see what they're paying exactly and with how much force.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYI8ifruvIqVtAY3joqlpfw ?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Tweaking Steam controller settings is gaming.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I think the first game I'll play on the Deck will be a heavily modded BG2, picking up my first full trilogy run from where I left it a month or so ago.

Those sweet touchpads and steam input should make this as smooth as playing with a KB&M.

I kind of ignored the Aya devices and handheld PC gaming until the Deck came out. Now that it's here and if I really like it, I can see wanting to upgrade to higher-end hardware down the road.

Which is to say the Deck could be a good thing for competitors if they focus on niches the Deck doesn't attempt to fill: higher end hardware at a more premium price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Official DIY repair for a handheld or any other console is really loving cool.