Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Don't know how much of a joke the thread title is, but anyone interested in Pokemon ROM hacks should give Elite Redux a shot. In short it reworks Emerald in quite a few ways, with plenty of QOL features on top. Every mon has multiple abilities now, you heal at the start of every battle, there's a DexNav function and you've got infinite use of each ball with 100% catch rate. The focus is more on team-building and trainer battles than grinding, with a way to boost your mons to the current level cap whenever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

sailormoon posted:

what are the best Pokémon romhacks to load on this puppy

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I don't know, but it came with my kindle like a decade ago so it drat well better

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

The lead up to getting your Jedi stuff takes quite a while and I'm torn on how I feel about it, but after you get off Taris I'd say it's a smooth fun ride

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I don't have access to my Deck's stock charger and I won't likely be able to get it for some time; my Android charger got the battery up to like ~25% after 6 hours so I guess my question is, are there any good substitutes?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

jokes posted:

I really liked the BG3 controller setup. I guess if you're not willing to sort-of learn it, it can be annoying but it altogether felt pretty fluid to me.

Yeah it's super convenient once you know how it's sorted

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

King of Solomon posted:

I use my deck docked all the time, it's great.

Does that affect the battery life at all?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Not really. The Deck already manages being docked by running straight off passthrough and the battery will naturally discharge to 90% so it doesn't stay full, among other things. The OS handles it all, you don't need to janitor your battery.

Dramicus posted:

I'm not a battery expert, so perhaps someone else can chime in, but from what I understand modern batteries are not affected by staying charged. They experience wear by being cycled, as in charged -> discharged -> charged. Having said that, you probably shouldn't worry and just use your deck however you please. Its far more likely that Steam deck 2 or 3 will be released by the time the battery fails on your OG deck.

That's great to know, thank you! I've been hesitant to get a dock for that and because of the hefty cost, but I know I'd play my Deck more often if it were hooked up to a TV.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

So I've got a dock on the way; I was wondering, how does a controller like the dualsense work with it? Can I navigate the home menu and all that with it? Will the ps logo buttom function like the STEAM button on the deck?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

RandolphCarter posted:

It should. The Xbox button does at least.

That's great to hear, thanks!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Commander Keene posted:

Yes, and yes. At least with the DualShock 4, I don't have a DualSense controller to specifically test but afaik they work the same.

And yeah, you can pair a Bluetooth controller with the Deck as it is now, there's nothing to the dock except some passthrough USB and HDMI and an Ethernet port.

I just tried using my Dualsense to test it out. It's a shame that they won't 'wake up' the Steam Deck but it's better than nothing.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Detective No. 27 posted:

It comes up a lot but you don’t want your Steam Deck to remotely turn on while inside of your bag. Not being able to turn on remotely is a safety feature.

Yeah I didn't think about it like that.

One other question that came to mind; on the ps5 there's a setting to have your controller turn off after 10 or so minutes of inactivity, is there something like it for the Deck?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Quixzlizx posted:

I don't know what it is off the top of my head, but there's definitely a setting for that in Steam BPM, at least.

Found it under Controller settings, hadn't looked hard enough, lol

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

https://fixupx.com/Wario64/status/1778607554559434871

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

hadji murad posted:

is there an easy recommended way to get Fallout New Vegas working with mods on the Deck? I tried to no avail a year ago, but that Ultimate edition on Fantacal looks worth doing it for.

I managed to get it going last year but apparently recent versions of the Steam OS make Mod Organizer 2 not work. If anyone here's managed to get around that I'd love to hear how.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Tiny Timbs posted:

I played through heavily modded Fallout 3 in December so it would have to be more recent than that

This is the version I used:

https://github.com/rockerbacon/modorganizer2-linux-installer

Yeah, I used that too, my issue was that when testing Utilities I kept getting "another instance of MO2 is already running" whenever I'd try launching

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Tiny Timbs posted:

Same. You have to use the option in the MO2 launcher list to open the game directory and run the launcher exe from there one time. Then you should be able to run the NVSE or TTW entry from MO2 without that error.

I'll give this a shot tomorrow, thanks!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Tiny Timbs posted:

Same. You have to use the option in the MO2 launcher list to open the game directory and run the launcher exe from there one time. Then you should be able to run the NVSE or TTW entry from MO2 without that error.

This worked, but now it just exits out after the first screen lol

Thanks anyway!

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 14, 2024

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Tiny Timbs posted:

Ok yeah crashing after the splash screen is a mod issue. This is why I don’t use mod packs because then it’s impossible to troubleshoot

Yeah, it was a breeze the last time I followed VNV for the deck, too much of a headache to deal with now.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Tiny Timbs posted:

Ok yeah crashing after the splash screen is a mod issue. This is why I don’t use mod packs because then it’s impossible to troubleshoot

I'm not sure it's a mod pack issue, I just noticed that MO2 has some error in the logs where it can't find steam, which I assume is why it crashes at the logos.

Does anyone have experience here transferring MO2 stuff from windows to deck? I figure that'd be my best bet and it didn't take too long to configure VNV on PC, at least.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

https://gist.github.com/richardgaywood/40f9bdfeffc04b999996cb702ec3c415

This unfortunately named chap has been working on a Windows to Deck guide for MO2, we managed to get it to work yesterday. He had better luck than I, I assume I made a mis-step though.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Figure it's a bit of a longshot but since there's a COD sale going on, has anyone tried Black Ops 1 multiplayer on the deck? Feeling kind of nostalgic since it's been like 14 years.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Bumhead posted:

A notable issue with the older COD games is that there’s no aim assist.

I tried playing the old MW2 multiplayer on Deck and just found it a total nightmare.

Well that's a drat shame, old MW2 and BO1 were my favorites.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Automata 10 Pack posted:

What’s the goon recommendation for playing Fallout New Vegas on Steam Deck? Did somebody make a good package of mods/foxes or is it “plug yer nose and play vanilla”?

https://gist.github.com/richardgaywood/e64eeb162062adb501fd3d35add9a0e8

This is a decent guide on getting viva new vegas (a well-curated mod list) to work on the Deck

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Hades 2 EA is up

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

big cummers ONLY posted:

Told myself for months I'd wait for Hades 2 full release. Lasted about five minutes before open palm slamming the purchase

"It already includes more environments, foes, and fully-voiced characters than the full version of the original game"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I'm perfectly happy with my lcd deck but then again I use my ps5 on a 10+ year old 1080p TV and think games on it look great, so I'm probably not the best answer for this