Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
If I didn't already have a Switch, this would be a very easy purchase to justify - I'm not too fussed about battery life (I've got the earlier Switch which gets pretty pathetic battery life at this point), none of the games I play would need anti-cheat, and I actually love my Steam Controller. I can definitely understand people's skepticism with Steam hardware based on previous experiences though - even if stuff has been competently executed they don't have a great track record of sticking with it. I'm curious how good the graphics card is and what kind of games it could ouput at 1080p through the dock. At any rate, it's pretty exciting to see Valve dipping back into hardware a bit more and I'll be following the Steam Deck and its competitors with interest.

While there are definitely some games in my Steam library I'd be playing more of if I had them on a Switch-like portable, I can't really justify buying a $400 handheld (probably closer to AU$600 by the time I import it) just for the handful of games I play that either don't have Switch ports or I don't want to pay the Switch tax on. If I didn't have anything invested in the Switch ecosystem and/or was really into emulation, I'd probably sell the Switch and get the Steam Deck when it came out though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Pikhezu posted:

Brutal. I wonder if you'd get a better ROI on shoveling quarters into an arcade machine. Probably plenty of games from that era that you couldn't beat in that timeframe that you also couldn't save.

Still, the Nomad will always have a special place in my heart for having video out and a player 2 controller port. Really weird handheld.

I remember when I was a kid and thinking "if I save my allowance, and sell my Genesis, I could get a Genesis I could both play on my TV *and* take along on family trips!"

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

frytechnician posted:

The exception being a fair amount of SNES games. Super Mario All-stars, Super Mario Kart, Super Metroid, A Link To The Past, Secret Of Mana, Earthbound etc. - I'm down for those any day of the week, they're still great today imo

Yeah, definitely. I bounced hard of DK: Tropical Freeze and wasn't too in to the 3DS DK game either, booted up the original DKC on the Switch's virtual console and that thing still slaps.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

DildenAnders posted:

Will a $300 laptop play games like a deck?

This is kinda where I found myself; I have a Switch already and had to ditch my (modest) gaming PC when I moved last year. I saved my controllers and games and bought another PS4 Pro, but there are still a couple things I missed playing (plus wanting to die when I used autoCAD on my laptop).

I was and still am tempted by the Deck, but I’d hardly be doing any mobile gaming, it’d have probably been played docked with my TV 90% of the time.

I looked at laptops (again, largely kinda pointless for my situation) thinking at least I can easily take it with me when I move next time, but you don’t get that much for your money, the GPUs are underpowered compared to the desktop versions, and they have little to no upgradeability.

In the end I just spent $95 putting together another modest desktop from Marketplace that is slightly better than what I had before. It’s an i5 4670k (or something like that) with a GTX 970 and 32 GB of RAM. By no means a powerhouse and a bit less than a Deck, but good enough for my needs and fit the budget. I can always upgrade it as my budget/needs change.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Tenkaris posted:

As in Facebook marketplace?

Yeah, $50 for the desktop (was someone’s media server I think) and $45 for the GPU. The 970 may well be the optimum price:performance card for budget builds, is what I had before too.