Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Pretty sure that's what Valve wants it to be too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

repiv posted:

inspired: hackintosh on the steam deck
No joke, my father's mentioned actually doing something like this as a cheap PC for my mother.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I mean, one of the reasons I'm perfectly fine with my Q2 2022 reservation is it allows me to get more information once units are out in the wild and also might avoid some of the bugs inherent to first-run units hopefully. I've never gotten a console at launch, 6-8 months out puts me at right around the fastest I've adopted a new console.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

My reservation was for Q3 2022 initially, but quickly updated to Q2 and has stuck there since. It took me a couple of days to actually get mine in. Due to laziness and indecision, not anything relating to Steam.

I have a 512, which will be plenty for my entire Steam and GOG libraries and whatever emulation I want on there.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I noticed a huge difference in the time it takes for Windows to boot and be ready to use after switching from HDD to NVME, but honestly the load time savings on games haven't been huge, IMO. I'll be interested in seeing how the Deck runs off of SD, but honestly I highly doubt my small Steam library will fill the drive on the Deck anyways.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I mean they're probably running under the assumption that the user has the Deck and nothing else, not even a kb+m setup. They're probably not going out of their way to disable VR games if you already have a headset.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I went from Q2 to "Past Q2".

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Samopsa posted:

StS has been released on phones, switch, everything so yeah it has touch support
That doesn't necessarily mean the PC version of the game has touch support; Baldur's Gate is on Switch now and AFAIK doesn't have any controller support on Steam. Hell, it's on phones too and I'm pretty sure the Steam version doesn't have touch support either.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

funnily enough that's exactly what this says in russian

edit: well, "in the bathroom/toilet"
"On the toilet" is what it says in all the languages.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Steam Deck was never going to be a great way to play modern AAA games, it's just not powerful enough. You're going to need a desktop to play that kind of stuff at 4k 144fps or whatever. But it'll play probably a good 75-85% of the Steam library pretty decently.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

To a rooftop party.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

homeless snail posted:

I'm sorry I don't speak whatever language this is.
Ignore stux, they'll get probed again soon enough.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm getting a Steam Deck because my Steam library is all old games and if like Borderlands 3 or Fallout 4 (IIRC the two newest games I have on Steam) don't run at 120 fps or whatever I'll live.

Also gonna emulate a lot on that thing. Like pick up a 512 gig SD and stick fuckin PS2 and GameCube games on it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

TwoDice posted:

am I the only one who turns off rumble whenever I can? it's annoying and burns the battery faster (exception is the steam controller's haptic trackpads, those are good)
I've never used a Steam Controller, but I turn off rumble whenever possible, preferably at the system level. I've never played a game where I felt that the controller deciding it's actually a back massager every so often actually added to the experience.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

:shrug: Let's just say I'm not going to sell my launch Switch on the say-so of "word on the street". If these rumors turn out to be true and you can get decent performance out of a Switch emulator on the Deck, more the better, but I didn't put in my order hoping to be able to play anything more recent than GameCube or maybe Wii on it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Natsuumi posted:

I went with the top model because if I'm going to be irresponsible with money I may as go all the way.
:retrogames: all the way.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Q3 here, I waffled a few days before reserving mine.

Kwolok posted:

Scalpers suck rear end.

Do we get a shipping number when it ships?
Scalpers suck, but I'm limiting the definition of "scalper" to someone who intentionally buys things to resell them at a higher price, especially if they do it in bulk and/or using bots to cheat honest consumers out of stuff. Some dude who got offered a ridiculous sum for their only Deck by some rich guy isn't scalping if they accept IMO.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Truly the most insidious sabotage Microsoft can manage - making Fallout 4 playable on the Steam Deck.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I went from "Q2 2022" to "after Q2 2022" to "Q3 2022" but the only time I was in the Q2 bracket was before the delay when the Deck was still coming out in December.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I don't even know what's going on, because I'm in Q3 and I reserved on the 17th. :confuoot:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

They send those emails exclusively on Mondays, right? So that's when I have to check my inbox and spam folders once July rolls around?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Don't have a Deck but probably the first thing I'm going to do with it is try out my 8bitdo Pro 2, which is a great controller and has both XInput and DInput modes so there's no reason it shouldn't Just Work with the Deck. It's also somewhat cheaper than a PlayStation 5 controller, it's like $50.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Pretty sure at least one goon in the thread bought some cheap rubber tips for their sticks, you might lose out on the capacitive touch function though if you plan to use that at all.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

There's also a Best Buy discount on Steambux a few posts up from that one.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Deckless and not downloading shaders.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Does the Deck's charger come as a single unit with the brick and the cable, like the Switch, or is it a separate cable and brick, like a phone or tablet? Could you hypothetically buy just a 10' USB-C cable and use it to charge the device?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Pretty sure the game doesn't need to have gyro support, no. Controller support at least makes things easier and less janky though. You can easily map gyro to, for example, the right thumbstick and only have it active when you push a certain button in Steam Input, even on PC. Supposedly the capacitive thumsticks on the Deck can be mapped so that the gyro only activates when your finger is on them.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

SCheeseman posted:

I was surprised that they didn't have per-game profiles for the power/framerate stuff. I have to assume its coming, maybe once they fill out the feature set (adding core parking, SMT switching etc)?
There's only one SMT game on Steam right now anyways, I don't think switching them needs to be an OS feature yet. :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I dunno about the Deck, but Steam game saves on your PC are saved to your PC and then backed up to "The Cloud", I have saves for all my games that I've played since I got this computer in My Documents.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Has anybody tried using the Genki Covert dock with the Deck? I'm interested in getting a dock for my Deck (when it comes sometime in Q3) and since Valve doesn't seem to be exactly in a hurry to drop the official Deck dock I might as well see about getting a secondary more portable dock for my Switch in the process.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Do you mean the "your expected order availability" thing under the model you reserved in the store page? It's working for me, I can still see my Q3. I'm also not seeing anything about servers being busy.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Also has anyone tested the GOG Galaxy launcher on the Deck? Does it work or would it be better to install my GOG games on the Deck without it and manually add them to Steam?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mine is showing up just fine. :shrug:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

MarcusSA posted:

Tried to run THPS1+2 through the heroic launcher and lol

This has been a test of the Emergency Broadcast System.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Dramicus posted:

My late-night game has recently been Paradise Killer. It's a super chill investigation game where you walk around a vaporwave world full of wacky poo poo to look at while listening to vaporwave tunes and try to figure out who murdered a bunch of narcissistic sociopaths that everyone had a reason to hate.

It also works super well in 40hz mode for saving battery.
I saw a bit of that game played on a stream recently, it was a trip.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

JuffoWup posted:

Can't link because steam mobile doesn't do urls to copy, but bomber crew is free right now. Supposed deck compatible as well. It is another ftl type game.
You just need to click the share button under the screenshots/videos to get a link to copy.

Here it is for the curious.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Stux posted:

saw on twitter the name "steam dreck" beibng bandied around. just a weird thing i noticed
Turn your monitor on

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I was 12 in 1995 and own a Switch, it all adds up. :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah that is kinda odd, the one game I have that doesn't support Steam Cloud - the Secret of Mana remake - doesn't even have the icon for cloud saves in desktop Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

- Set up the right thumbstick with the style of input as "directional pad"

- On the Up direction icon, hit A to pull up the binding dialog

- Hit the left option button to bring up the Activator dialog

- Set the first Activation Type to Long Press, set Binding to scroll up, Turbo on, Haptics to Low or None (probably, as desired)

- Hit Add Activator

- For the second activator set the Activation Type to Regular Press, binding to Up Arrow

- Repeat all of the above for scrolling down/down arrow

- Tweak the "Long Press Time" to taste on both- the shorter the bar, the quicker you'll need to be on press-and-release for the arrow keys to be recognized

- Tweak the turbo repeat rate for "how fast you want the scroll to scroll"
Just going to save this for when I have my Deck in my hands, sounds useful.