Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I just ordered one. Look forward to joining the thread and figuring out the best way to use the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The OP has some good information but I was wondering if there anything that's more of an introductory post anywhere explaining some of the basics? Because previously I don't really even use a computer in day to day life aside from at work. And for example I know there are third party docks but I know if I do a search to try to see which one are good I'm going to get a lot of useless listicles and ad oriented content that isn't necessarily trustworthy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

njsykora posted:

Jsaux and Ivoler are the 2 general recs for 3rd party docks, but if propping the Deck up isn’t important and you just need the cheapest way to connect it to a monitor or TV you can just use an Anker USB-C hub with a power passthrough. I have one of those and also the official dock.

Oh I thought the official dock wasn't out yet lol

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I was basically in your boat. Console/handheld gamer my whole life. I don’t think Steam Deck makes me qualified to say I’m a PC gamer, but it’s got me considering on investing in a gaming rig eventually. I can definitely see a future where “PC plus Nintendo Switch” is “PC plus Steam Deck.” It’s got me reconsidering every third party Nintendo Switch game purchase.

Here’s some stray thoughts:

It’s really not hard to use. Current gen consoles have had the performance/resolution options for a while. For all intents and purposes, Steam Deck is a PC so you can tweak the settings even more. The 800p screen isn’t going to win any awards so the battle is going to be between performance and battery life.

As far as docks go, my JSAUX dock arrived a week before Steam announced theirs was finally on sale. It’s good. Don;’t expect the docking and undocking gaming experience to be as smooth as Switch. There’s always a ton of little issues. I usually exit the game and start it fresh whenever swapping between handheld and docked. Sometimes the resolution likes to get all wonky or it the game won’t recognize the controller (while the Deck itself does). The official dock does have firmware support so I’m tempted to get it. It might fix those issues.It’s $90 but a chunk of that price comes from the second power adapter it comes with.

I’ve used desktop mode mostly for setting up and tweaking emulators. So far the most I’ve modded actually Steam games has been to change the lovely font from the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters. Surprisingly easy.

Yeah I think I'll get the JSAUX mainly cause I saw the official dock has a wait list til January but the Deck will arrive in a couple weeks so I wouldn't want to wait

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I was going to use my SN30 pro with this but for the life of me I can't find it.

What controllers would you recommend?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

homeless snail posted:

You're really best off using Playstation controllers on PC. Switch controllers don't support analog triggers, Xbox controllers don't support gyro, the 8bitdos can appear as either one of those with all the limitations that implies. Meanwhile a PS4/5 controller on Steam supports everything + the trackpad which you can bind in all the same ways as the Steam Deck trackpads.

Well I do have a ps4 controller, but PC games seem to avoid gyro like the plague anyhow and its battery life is awful

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 4, 2022

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
What's the difference between a 2.4ghz controller and Bluetooth?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

jokes posted:

2.4ghz requires a usually proprietary dongle, but is far more reliable than standard bluetooth-- often the controller pairs directly to the dongle without any further input necessary. If you're going to use a dock, I'd recommend using a 2.4ghz controller and just leave the dongle plugged in.

Ah yeah that makes sense. Yeah I am using that dock

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Is 2.4ghz version $15 cheaper just for the inconvenience of having to use a dongle? Seems like a fair trade to me

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

jokes posted:

It’s a major inconvenience considering there’s only one port! To me!

The JS aux looks like it has a bunch of ports on the back, one of those will probably work right

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
That's amazing Vic. Thanks so much.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Mines getting here Monday! Very surprised how fast. Also I found my controller I wanted to use, I'll ask for the ultimate controller for Christmas

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I have a PlayStation 5 headphones (don't actually have the console) that's a 2.4ghz dongle. It works great with switch but the only way to switch from headphone back to HDMI output for audio on Switch is to unplug the dongle. On Steam Deck I have a jsaux dock I'm going to use, and was wondering, is it likely I'll be able to easily switch between audio out just by turning my headphones on or off on then? Cause that's how it works when I use it on my laptop.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Commander Keene posted:

I'm not a game developer, but IIRC on console games had to be specifically designed to take advantage of a processor or extra RAM or the like. For example on the New 3DS the console runs at the base 3DS clock speed and L2 cache size except for games specifically designed to take advantage

It depends on how they are coded.

Pilotwings 64 for example, runs at an unlocked 20fps on Nintendo 64. On Switch it runs at 60fps with the only weirdness being the timer jumps around a little(which it already did but less noticeably). The rom is not modified for that purpose, it was always an unlocked framerate.

People with modded Switches have overclocked the CPU (which itself is actually underclocked) and seen noticeable performance gains in multiple Nintendo games like Breath of the Wild and Hyrule Warriors.

Even still though, if they make a future Switch with backwards compatibility they may force the CPU into a backwards compatibility profile when running older games and you wouldn't see those gains anyway.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1589633781853552643

Probably will highlight quite a few good Steam Deck games

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Got my Deck today. I installed a few games, set up the dock which works pretty well, played the Aperture interactive story.

This is a cool device.

One game I tried seemed to not work at all, The Cherry Orchard. It's a visual novel based on the Checkhov play. When I installed it downloaded 0 bytes and said it was installed. I expected some games not to work at all, but just not downloading anything at all and saying it downloaded and installed was a strange glitch.

Final Fantasy 6 I feel like I'm definitely seeing some shimmering and pixel warping on my TV. Maybe I haven't put it in the right mode?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Yeah pixel remaster.

I'm using a 4k tv but I honestly just grabbed an HDMI cable out of a drawer, it may only support 1080p on the cable.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I honestly don't see the problem with it.

But how do you do that

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
This thing doesn't have any kind of CEC settings does it? I noticed when I docked it and turned it on my TV didn't automatically switch to it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hey there! I did the music for The Cherry Orchard and it was one of the first games I tried on my deck. It worked perfectly for me, so that's weird to hear that it flat out didn't download anything for you.

The dev is here if you'd need to get in contact with her but maybe you already know that and are a part of the Dogpit.

Edit: a somewhat joke tweet stating that the Cherry Orchard should be 'deck verified' even though I'm probably the only one at that time who had attempted to play it on there.

https://twitter.com/ManuelaXibanya/status/1577046796454723586?t=kqCRneBG3pObHnlIjZgMIw&s=19

Yeah I've been mutuals with her for a long time, so I'm excited to finally play her game.

It's weird, I tried installing it from desktop mode too, no dice. I'll try it on my laptop.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
What's the best way to shop steam deals? I've heard how much everything is on sale, but actual steam prices look fairly normal retail, it looks like the sales are usually on other sites that give you the code like humble bundle, is there a good site for seeing what is on sale on steam and where?

Similar to dekudeals.com ? That one covers the consoles.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Will that extension work in Firefox on steam deck desktop mode?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Anybody tried the new sonic on this thing?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I have been trying to play VVVVVVVVV but for some reason the game is only taking up like a 1/4 of the screen and I can't figure out how to stretch it. I tried manually setting the resolution but that didn't do anything.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

worms butthole guy posted:

Yeah lol at anyone who buys switch games still if they ha a deck

Many switch games, like %50 of the ones sold, are not on Deck.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Gay Retard posted:

You've certainly got a point, but that brings up an another good point - Steam's mobile app vs Switch's mobile app. With Steam and my PS5, I can jump onto their apps and quickly add a friend, see what my friends were last playing, message them, and buy and download games to my device.

Can I do that with the Switch? Of course not.

You can buy and download games to your switch remotely from the store webpage at least. If they did it on app they would have to give apple or Google a cut

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
For EmuDeck am I going to need to unzip different collections into different folders or can I just plop a .zip archive right in each platforms folder

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

njsykora posted:

Depends on the system, the Emudeck Github page has a good table showing what file formats will work with different emulators. Unless you mean a single zip file with every game in in which case no you cannot do that.

Haha yes the latter is what I meant

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
What idiot American Sony executive thought "Well obvioialy cross should mean yes and circle should mean no, mandate all developers reverse it for the American releases"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Sapozhnik posted:

Probably the same guy who said the american SNES had to look XTREME and HARDCORE

???
The American SNES looks like a Fisher Price toy

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Skill issue

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Wait you can spend points on games?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I saw Jedi Fallen Order was on a deep sale but then saw it was incompatible with steam deck. But I then found out how I could get an alternative proton and it would work, and it does! That's really satisfying.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I got emudeck working now too, but I added a bunch of games to my favorites list and now can not figure out any way to find my favorites list lol, they disappeared from the normal list when I added them

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
If I'm using an SD card just for classic PS2 and older era games it won't really matter what speed I got right? It should still be faster than the original disk or cart medium, or in the carts case probably just load the whole thing into ram

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Ugh my jsaux dock appears to be malfunctioning. The video has been cutting in and out or not being recognized. It was fine until this afternoon. I took the deck out of the dock for a while and hoping it will look back to normal now that I've reconnected. None of the connections felt loose.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Annath posted:

I am considering buying a Steam Deck, but I want to use it as both a retro-game emulation device as well as a Steam Game device.

Do I need to mess with dual-boot shenanigans or "jailbreaking" or whatever to do so, or can the Deck natively run 3rd party programs such as emulators?

I was able to figure it out pretty easy.

There's no modding involved. You just switch the deck to desktop mode and install it like you would anything on Linux.

I am not a Linux user and I don't even have a mouse and keyboard and was able to do it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Is there a way to make the trackpad work in games without having to hold the steam button?

Also I got City Skylines and I thought it had a controller layout since it has been ported to consoles but I can't figure out how to enable or use it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I have an 8bitdo SN30 I've been using, which works fine most of the time. The ⭐ button on the right hand side under all the regular buttons functions as the steam button. There's another button on the right hand side that on the switch functions as screen grab, but on my steam deck does nothing and I can't figure out how to map it to do anything. It's like it doesn't exist. I want to make it the menu button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Jedi Fallen Order stopped working on my Deck.

So I switched to default proton instead of the one I had been using because I figured maybe there had been an update. That worked!

But somehow, my save had lost 4 hours of progress. I was back at the wind cave before receiving the push power, where before I had finished that, gone to Kashyyk, done all of that and returned.