Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

The United States posted:

"if the games work" is dependent on the emulator devs doing the actual work, and several retroarch devs seem intent on driving them to suicide or out of the emulator programming hobby at least

I have Launchbox setup on my home PC, but it looks like Linux support is still in experimental stages. Are there any other emulation frontends that have stable Linux versions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
https://www.pcgamer.com/steam-deck-emulation-installation/

This article about how PCGamer's Steam Deck reviewer ended up wasting tons of time on Persona 3 is my catnip.

From what I could find so far it sounds like everything up to PS2 just works right out of the box, PS3 and Switch need optimizing but look feasible.

Trucker Hat fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 28, 2022

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

oh no my ROM collections :(

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
Gaben has said in interviews that he's surprised at the amount of pre-orders the 512gb model got, that it tells him people are interested in getting more premium features for their handheld gaming PC consoles.

I'm guessing this means better screen and possibly sturdier rumble on the next revision, along with whatever better components they can fit in it in 2-3 years' time. But really who knows.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
The complete lack of security features on the Deck is kind of worrisome if your use case is in a semi private room at the hospital.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

Dramicus posted:

In case someone wanted a tutorial for an easy emulation setup on the deck, see below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIP-DF9K2SM

Not gonna lie I started looking at doing this on my Windows PC, but then remembered I spent all this time getting my Launchbox setup juuust right and I never use it.

Maybe once I have a Deck (Q2 512 let's go) I can curate a shortlist of games I might actually boot up and do this, but otherwise I'd just be clogging up my Steam library even further beyond what I already have.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
Looks like it also added typing with the 2 trackpads? I don't have a Deck yet but I did like that feature on the Steam Controller

https://youtube.com/watch?v=6pGav6RDAZc

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
512GB in NA booked at 12:31 EST, estimate says I should get the email on May 16. I'm hoping just like everyone else that the Thursday shipments help accelerate the process, but who knows at this point.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

Arkage posted:

Secondly, the 3DS isn't showing up at all within EmuDeck despite me putting a few games into that folder. Not sure what the deal is there either. Any help is appreciated.

I have only dabbled briefly in 3DS emulation on PC but I know file extensions are a pain in the rear end. You might want to find out which file extensions work with your emulator and either find a converter script or re-dump/download the correct files.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

veni veni veni posted:

Oh, I didn't realize that. I guess I should stop whining then haha

If you ordered a 512gb unit and ordered from the US/Canada, it's been moving about 2 minutes' worth of pre-orders per week.

I ordered 31 minutes after they became available. The calculator told me May 16th, but I think they're 21 minutes in now so I doubt I'll have it in my hands before mid-June.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah it went from Q2 to not even looking like I reserved now

I don't seem to be the only one having this issue

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/utnblw/my_steam_deck_reservation_missing/

Figure I'll give it a day to see if it resolves itself and then contact customer service I guess. Man I would be so pissed if my pre order just got nuked somehow. I'm assuming that's something that they'll be able to fix though if need be though.

I've been getting the same busy servers message all evening as well. It's annoying because all signs seem to point towards me getting an email next week. Hopefully this gets sorted out before Monday.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

Barreft posted:

Hey my reserve is coming up, 512 version. I'm too poor to buy it.

It says:
mooV2 (Sat May 21 2022)
Estimated Order Date: Mon Jun 06 2022
15 day(s) 16 hour(s) 37 minute(s) 39 second(s)

Is there a way to transfer the reserve to someone for some money? Otherwise I'm just going to have to buy with a credit card and resell asap on ebay I guess

You're almost guaranteed to come out way ahead if you are comfortable selling on ebay or SA Mart.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
Fuuuck

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

DrManiac posted:

Got my email today! The calculator predicted June 6. My order time was 3:40 for the 256 us one. Now I just have to find a good sd card

Got my email today as well! I had ordered the 512GB unit in US queue 0:31:49 after they became available. My original prediction was May 16, so still close but on the wrong side lol.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
Canada Deck owners: Have you had to pay any extra to get the system through customs?

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
I put my order in last Thursday and it's still showing as Shipping Soon :nsamad:

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

v1ld posted:

I'd drop support a line and ask what's going on.

Monday was a holiday in the states so I'm gonna give them an extra day or 2 before I get worried.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
I had my first crash to OS yesterday when I booted up American Truck Simulator, went to the radio page, and it just locked up there. I'll have to try it again to see if it's a repeatable bug. I was able to drive around no problem before that.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

FishMcCool posted:

For file transfers (*cough* ROMs *cough*), I set up sshd here. It just needs a user password to be set with passwd, then a couple sudos to add 2 lines to the sshd_config and enable the daemon. The best thing about it is that I no longer have to bother with desktop mode for transfers, I just filezilla things straight to where they need to be.

If you're in Canada you can go to Canada Computers and grab one of these iCan house brand USB hubs for CAD $25. They only have 2 USB slots, but it was enough for me to connect my Logitech K400+ keyboard & mouse combo and and 1TB portable hard drive. From there you just drag & drop, no fuss no muss.

I only have a 128GB Sandisk Extreme SD card right now and am kind of regretting it, because those PS2 games take up a lot of room! But at the same time, I'm probably not going to play many of those games any time soon so who cares.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

i must compose posted:

Quote is not edit gently caress me I'm gone

Between Umihara Kawase and Earth Defense Force 5.... I'm playing a lot but not getting anywhere with my backlog!

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

Chas McGill posted:

With emudeck, should I be able to open retroarch settings when I press l3+r3 in the PS2 emulator?

PS2 I'm pretty sure uses PCSX2 instead of Retroarch, so the same shortcuts might not apply.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
Last night I booted up Yakuza 7, it was the first time the fan got loud enough to be bothersome.

I'm gonna try again with a locked 30 FPS, anything else I should consider to make it run more quietly?

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

Missionary Positron posted:

Since the official dock is delayed to who knows when, what docks/hubs are you all using?

The Canada Computers house brand iCan powered USB hub. I've only used it for setting up EmuDeck and it only has 2 USB ports, but it cost 25 bucks and gets the job done.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

Harminoff posted:

Any roguelike recommendations for Deck?

Caves of Qud has an official controller layout that seems to work quite well and is Deck Verified. I booted it up out of curiosity and it controls quite well, which is surprising for such a complicated looking game.

Jupiter Hell I haven't tried yet but I saw it has full controller support. It's DoomRL with the serial numbers filed off, lots of fun.

Shiren the Wanderer: The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate I don't know how well it runs on the Deck but it's a lot of fun on Switch. Chunsoft Mystery Dungeon games are a whole genre in themselves at this point and this one is quite good!

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

Animal posted:

POST YOUR TOP 3 FAVORITE GAMES TO PLAY ON THE STEAM DECK

Yakuza 7, Shadowman Remastered, Streets of Rage 4.

Now the games I have actually spent the most time on: Cookie Clicker, EDF5, Castlevania Advance Collection

Trucker Hat fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 10, 2022

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

JazzFlight posted:

I've found the Steam Deck is perfect for finally getting into American Truck Simulator (or Euro 2 if you prefer). Works well with the 30fps limit (takes about 10-12 watts) and with cloud saves I can go back and forth between portable and running it in VR on my main desktop. Pretty sweet.

I have found that American Truck Sim chugs in busy areas. Do you have all settings at low?

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

kynikos posted:

Anyone have recommendations for games that would work well on this thing that aren't really available on Switch/PlayStation?

I've been playing a lot of Buck Up and Drive, it's an indie arcade racer where you boost through traffic to hit checkpoints and beat up on cops when they get in the way. The drift mechanics are a lot of fun and you do this spin move if you do a quarter circle back motion while drifting.

It's a lot of fun to shoot for high scores and it has a sense of humour that mostly hits (ACAB, lots of billboard jokes, an LGTBQ toggle that turns all boards into trans flags if you try to turn it off, VAN DIESEL)

Also Vampire Survivors

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
I've had my deck for about a month and I love it. My only hangup is that when downloads happen while I'm on battery power, sometimes the system just stops seeing the battery and shuts down. Then I have to plug it in, turn it back on, do another full shutdown, and turn it back on again before the battery stops showing as 0%. This has only happened twice so far but it sure is annoying.

I'll file a ticket with support, but for those who have been through the RMA process, how complicated is it? If I have already recycled the box will they send a new one?

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
I haven't messed around too much with emulation, but I did boot up Oni for PS2. It isn't able to keep a steady 60 FPS, so I try to play with the refresh rate & FPS limit but it isn't doing anything. Do those options not work with non-Steam games?

It slows down to around 40 FPS mostly during cutscenes so everyone is just slurring through their conversations, but also sometimes when I enter new areas.

I tried playing some God Hand as well and while I can't play around with the refresh rate there either, it does maintain a constant 60 FPS right out of the box.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
Yakuza Like A Dragon works perfect on Deck. Having the game available in sleep mode means I can squeeze in a couple turns' worth of the management game or a sidequest whenever.

Has anyone had a chance to try Dungeon Encounters? Steam says it's unsupported but protondb has it listed as working perfectly.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
Just installed proton-GE using the guide from RockPaperShotgun. It's super easy and fixes tons of issues. So far Doom (1993) and Undernauts: Labyrinth of Yomi both have graphical issues fixed. Awesome awesome awesome.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
I tried BallisticNG on the Deck last night and it runs buttery smooth. I don't know how they got away with making such a faithful Wipeout clone without getting sued, but I'm glad they did!

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
Do any of the musou games work properly on Deck? I tried Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate with Proton GE and the game plays well, but the cinematics run choppy with no audio. I don't play these games for the story but it would be nice for everything to be more seamless.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
For the last several months I have been having battery issues with my Deck. Whenever I was unplugged and something started downloading, the battery sensor would lose track of my charge and shut the unit down. The only way to turn it back on was to have the Deck plugged in.

I filed a support ticket last week and they came back with a suggestion to start the system up in battery storage mode:

quote:

the Steam Deck down normally (choose Shut Down from the Power menu). If you can't access the menu, you can force a shutdown by holding down the Power button for 10 seconds.

Hold the "Volume +" button down and press the Power button once. Continue holding the "Volume +" button until you hear the system chime, then release and wait. The Steam Deck should boot into the BIOS menu within a couple minutes.

Using the D-Pad and A to select, navigate to "Setup Utility"

Navigate to the Power Menu

Choose Battery storage mode, and confirm.

You should see the Steam Deck power off, and the power LED will blink three times to confirm battery storage mode has been activated.

Wait a few minutes, then plug the Steam Deck in using the provided power supply and turn on the Steam Deck.

I did all that, but now when I have the system unplugged the battery drains in a matter of minutes, even when I'm just in the Steam menus.

I just sent an update to the support team, I'm hoping thay if an RMA is necessary I can get it done before the Black Friday rush.

Has anyone else had similar issues & been able to fix it?

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
I posted a week ago about troubleshooting my battery issues and it didn't get any traction, but I still want to follow up to vent about it.

I've had a Steam Deck since June, never modded it, dropped it or messed around in the console. About a month in I started having issues where if I downloaded a game or an update while the system was unplugged, it would lose track of my battery charge and turn itself off. The system then wouldn't reboot unless it was plugged in. This was annoying but manageable, so I left it as is.

About two weeks ago I put in a ticket with Steam Support. So far they have recommended:
  • Putting the system in battery storage mode
  • Putting the system in battery storage mode, but with no SD card slotted in
  • Re-imaging my device

The issue still persists. Now that even a re-image of the Deck didn't fix the problem, my hope is that the next step is to return the system for repairs or a replacement. Anybody in Canada had any experience with the RMA process? Fingers crossed I can send it out and get one back within a few weeks.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
In light of Kevin Conroy's passing I thought I'd play some Arkham City, which is marked as Verified, but it's been very unstable. After about an hour of gameplay it will spit out a long error message and crash to the OS.

I looked around online and this seems to be a pretty common issue. Has anyone had luck stoppi g the crashes?

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
I just beat Bloodstained on Deck, start to finish took about 20 hours. Zero performance issues and zero crashes to OS, which is way better than the experiences I had on Switch, Xbox Series S and Windows PC.

Not sure what I'll be plugging away at next, but it's great to know rhat the overwhelming majority of my Steam library just works.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
I ended up selling my Switch over the holidays and exchanged the pile of busted joycons I had lying around for a new PS5 controller and a charging station. I don't have a PS5, but this controller is great for playing docked. Super easy to setup and no noticeable delay over Bluetooth. I reckon if this keeps working well I will probably end up selling off my Xbox Series S as well later this year!

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

Random Stranger posted:

I'm having a problem with my Deck and an Xbox controller. It keeps blinking between connected and disconnected. Like flickering back and forth about every half second.

I only used the controller with it for a little while a few months ago. But I'm doing some extended traveling for work so I got a dock thinking I'd use the deck as a computer and do stuff beyond just games. But when I tried to use the whole thing together last night to test it, I got the disconnect blinking. It kept happening when I took it out of the dock.

I tried rebooting and completely removing the controller, but I still had the same problem.

Any thoughts?

I had to connect my Series controller to PC and setup a firmware update.

After I fixed the flickering connection issue it worked over bluetooth, but with a half second delay on all inputs. Supposedly there's ways to fix that as well, but I just ended up getting a Dual Sense controller instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

PantsBandit posted:

Getting stoned and playing Brotato for an hour is a great way to regret the way you spend your time.

Just wanna get high and play EDF5 and Vampire Survivors all evening long