Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Yes. Playing video games is for the weak, the real connoisseur understands the thrill of spending hours fine tuning settings and mods and then playing for like thirty minutes tops.

I don’t wanna touch MAME no more. Oh god I’m so tired. I’m so tired of mapping buttons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Feb 2, 2022

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Heran Bago posted:

Same here! A relative had an old beater laptop that couldn't run it well, and it was a night-and-day difference after putting Ubuntu on the thing. We also tried swapping Java for OpenJDK but didn't notice a difference. Modpacks used to be complicated under Linux, but there are different launchers these days.

I'm mostly curious how it performs on the Deck's hardware specs with Linux.

You can configure the Java runtime environment, but the only time I’ve seen an actual jump in performance was from Java 8 to 16 (especially if you look at the ram consumption on the debug view) and they shipped 16 as the default in Minecraft 1.17 or so.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah I guess anything is possible if you just handwave away all the details and boil everything down to "lol they'll just optimize better"

guess we'll see how this will pan out

95% of these are windows native games run through their compatibility tooling. It’ll be a minor performance hit, but a hit nonetheless
Steam on my coffee-lake Linux laptop with an intel GPU is surprisingly okay

I’m concerned about the build quality of devices like the Aya Neo. My switch (with a pro controller) holds up great,, in a year’s time will I be listening to a buzzy fan, touch shiny creaky plastic and have a mostly dead battery in my Chinese branded whatchamacallit?

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 2, 2022

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
Huh, I guess there’s native retroarch for this, no jailbreaks or whatever needed, just supply your r0mz.

Anyway - i like how the switch hardware revision barely gets warm and the fan is barely audible. The las thing I want is a heavy heatsink and a buzzy little raspberry pi fan 30cm from my face.

You get a lot of power savings not running these devices at 100%, just coming from playing around with gaming laptops

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 2, 2022

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Its a completely open platform, no jailbreaks for anything, provided you're willing to deal with Arch or install windows.

kinda don't want to, honestly. :shobon:

I pick up a game device, I don't want to think about partitions or button mappings or see a menu of thirty different scanline filters, or see a bash prompt. I don't even want to look at a file system. That's part of the reason why I was turned off of RetroPie

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
So, if Steam / Big Picture Mode were to crash, I guess you'd get bounced back to the KDE plasma 5 desktop, because Steam is just another app, albeit configured to start on boot.

I'm thinking about how Emulation Station on Retro Pie* crashes you see text mode Linux, likely with a login prompt. Emulation Station had exclusive control over the screen, much like you'd get running DOS.

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVQVmsFOclM

The United States posted:

"if the games work" is dependent on the emulator devs doing the actual work, and several retroarch devs seem intent on driving them to suicide or out of the emulator programming hobby at least
of course it's a free program so they gain nothing by you just downloading it, but don't donate to the project or anything

[ -twinaphex.txt- ]

https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/graphs/contributors
https://github.com/twinaphex

Hooooly shiiiiiiit. weekends and weekdays for a decade for an unpaid OSS project. That's not healthy.

Cool. thanks.
\/

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 3, 2022

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

You aren't going to like Retroarch then.

Yeah, every time I look at retroarch the UI pisses me off.

it's like here's linux-gaming.jpg - looking to remap keys for your 16-bit system because you have a keyboard plugged in? please configure analog deadzones and usercounts
... scroll down alllll way to the bottom to set something as unimportant as what buttons do what.

sorry about this derail, lol.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

homeless snail posted:

Just use Duckstation if you're going to play MGS. Too bad they're not going to work on Duckstation anymore because they got harassed off the internet by the Retroarch guy, though.

shiiiit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-iRW7BAoOU

I contribute to a few OSS projects and I've learned that

- Volunteer time is golden and precious and to be preserved

- Skilled volunteer time is platinum

- the stenzeks and nears of the world are literally one in a million

- these projects go on for decades so sustainability is a concern - this isn't a lovely built-to-flip startup.

Things like long running toxicity that discourages contributions needs to be stamped out with a quickness.
So a hosed up shutin like twinaphex (or Richard Stallman, FWIW) does soooo much more harm than good

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

homeless snail posted:

You can run Proton right now, the numbers are known, there's not much overhead. Games that are native Vulkan frequently run better than on Windows, DX11 games via DXVK are usually plus or minus 5%
https://flightlessmango.com/

I have a Linux laptop with intel GPU and after clicking “Run this game with compatibility tool”, steam will pull the exact same game files and cloud saves as a windows install and run without any issues.

( At least the lower spec indies I’ve played work fine )

They update the proton layer on a weekly basis, so I have a lot of confidence in the software side of this.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 20, 2022

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
TLDR: linux desktop... Compatibility is totally fine. Things loaded a tiny bit slow, though.

God it's the weirdest thing to take a game from my childhood, grep for it's name on a unix terminal and get back a windows .exe and get back a bunch of stuff

proton experimental always seems to update every week or so

sorry for the nerd bullshit - but this feels like hoodoo-juju magic.

code:
compy386@pop-os:~$ ps -aux | grep FANTASY
compy386+  113953  0.0  0.0  31012 24812 ?        SN   22:59   0:00 /bin/sh -c /home/compy386/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=1173820 -- '/home/compy386/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier'/_v2-entry-point --verb=waitforexitandrun -- '/home/compy386/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental'/proton waitforexitandrun  '/home/compy386/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/FINAL FANTASY VI PR/FINAL FANTASY VI.exe'
compy386+  113954  0.0  0.0  30716 24292 ?        SN   22:59   0:00 /home/compy386/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=1173820 -- /home/compy386/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier/_v2-entry-point --verb=waitforexitandrun -- /home/compy386/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/proton waitforexitandrun /home/compy386/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/FINAL FANTASY VI PR/FINAL FANTASY VI.exe
compy386+  113956  0.1  0.0   4880  1128 ?        SN   22:59   0:00 /home/compy386/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier/pressure-vessel/bin/pv-bwrap --args 25 /usr/lib/pressure-vessel/from-host/bin/pressure-vessel-adverb --generate-locales --fd 17 --regenerate-ld.so-cache /run/pressure-vessel/ldso --add-ld.so-path /usr/lib/pressure-vessel/overrides/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu --add-ld.so-path /usr/lib/pressure-vessel/overrides/lib/i386-linux-gnu --set-ld-library-path /usr/lib/pressure-vessel/overrides/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/aliases:/usr/lib/pressure-vessel/overrides/lib/i386-linux-gnu/aliases --exit-with-parent --subreaper --shell=none --terminal=none --ld-preload=/home/compy386/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so --ld-preload=/home/compy386/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so -- /home/compy386/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/proton waitforexitandrun /home/compy386/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/FINAL FANTASY VI PR/FINAL FANTASY VI.exe
compy386+  114118  0.0  0.0  27332  4580 ?        SNs  22:59   0:00 /usr/lib/pressure-vessel/from-host/bin/pressure-vessel-adverb --generate-locales --fd 17 --regenerate-ld.so-cache /run/pressure-vessel/ldso --add-ld.so-path /usr/lib/pressure-vessel/overrides/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu --add-ld.so-path /usr/lib/pressure-vessel/overrides/lib/i386-linux-gnu --set-ld-library-path /usr/lib/pressure-vessel/overrides/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/aliases:/usr/lib/pressure-vessel/overrides/lib/i386-linux-gnu/aliases --exit-with-parent --subreaper --shell=none --terminal=none --ld-preload=/home/compy386/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so --ld-preload=/home/compy386/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so -- /home/compy386/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/proton waitforexitandrun /home/compy386/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/FINAL FANTASY VI PR/FINAL FANTASY VI.exe
compy386+  114142  0.0  0.0  46160 19468 ?        SN   22:59   0:00 python3 /home/compy386/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/proton waitforexitandrun /home/compy386/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/FINAL FANTASY VI PR/FINAL FANTASY VI.exe
compy386+  114144  0.0  0.0 1963720 32236 ?       SNl  22:59   0:00 c:\windows\system32\steam.exe /home/compy386/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/FINAL FANTASY VI PR/FINAL FANTASY VI.exe
compy386+  114225  143  1.5 16735872 1032816 ?    SNl  22:59   6:30 Z:\home\compy386\.steam\debian-installation\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VI PR\FINAL FANTASY VI.exe

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Feb 24, 2022

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

MarcusSA posted:

Let me tell you about rechargeable battery tech from back in the day.

Yeah it wasn’t good.

I burned out three of these fuckers in two years, and they cost as much as a game :argh:

What's more, GB power cable just sticks out the side, so it easily pops out but doesn't automatically switch over to battery power, your Gameboy just shuts off.
Congrats, you've lost all your progress in a game without passwords or battery.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Speaking of unsupported but still kinda running - yes, you can launch the Epic Game Store from within Steam+Proton on linux.
Annoyingly I can't start Axiom Verge 2, even though that game is nothing but software rendering and should run on a PS Vita. This is using the Experimental Proton compatibility tool.

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2022/02/steam-deck-desktop-mode-plus-other-stores-like-the-epic-games-store/

e: It was able to restore some cloud saves made on windows... nice. Gonna try the Heroic Launcher

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 2, 2022

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Volte posted:

It's not really that true, Stack Ranking (the system that pitted employees against each other which I guess is what the comic is trying to show?) was Ballmer's galaxy brain idea that he copied from General Electric. It was dropped the second he left. https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/hr-topics/compensation/pages/stack-ranking-microsoft.aspx
"Your team met all their goals but other teams did better (or observably better), so we need to let some people go." so... if you want to stay there you'd better spend time talking up your achievements to your bosses boss.
Which leads to all sorts of insanity, of course.

You can search for complaints about Valve's stack ranking system.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
trip report: arch linux and Steam Deck

Would like the steamdeck to replace my Ivy Bridge personal use laptop for personal projects + browsing, etc. I know Linux from the Debian family, so Ubuntu, PopOS. Arch is new to me.

let's install: VSCode from the Discover Software Center (also contains one click installs to torrent software. Valve DGAF)
I don't know what's going on, but the version that comes with this doesn't set up bash properly it's just starts /bin/sh. Can't even sudo. Kinda weird, never seen it do that before.

Discover version on the left, workaround on the right

turns out you need to install the version that comes with pacman, the Arch package manager.
BUT steamOS apparently declares items installed with pacman as an OS level component. Doing anything with pacman results in PGP errors where Arch can't validate the validity of its own packages.

From this article
https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/671A-4453-E8D2-323C
you'd need to do
`sudo steamos-readonly disable`

and other sources suggest
Initialize the pacman keyring: `sudo pacman-key --init`
Populate the pacman keyring with the default Arch Linux keys: `sudo pacman-key --populate archlinux`

and
`sudo pacman -S code` will install a version of VS code from earlier in the year with the MS telemetry removed.

Valve says that it's possible anything installed via pacman might be deleted in the next OS upgrade, so this whole thing is definitely "off label" use. nbd, I can restore it all with a script.

If you see anything emulation related built for the Deck with Tauri maybe this is the start of it. :)

Other notes:
The wifi on this seems to be OK but definitely slower than a macbook pro. I wish the plastic of the deck's shell was denser and more like the PS5 controller.
EmuDeck works pretty well, and I'm surprised at how much nicer it is to have a catalog of roms with icons, background/hero images and a 'poster' within the steam library. Usually the 50GB archives of the entirety of the 8 and 16 bit eras lead to a pile of 95% semi-anonymous roms, and you wind up playing old favorites like LTTP and Megaman x for the umpteenth time this decade.

My windows desktop has all the emulators and roms running out of an MS OneDrive account. So if I were to launch a game out of snes9x or EmuHawk it'll download the rom from onedrive and run it, and any savestates, save ram and settings (I've been mapping controller buttons since 1997 on Nesticle, I don't wanna do that anymore)that come with it are automatically restored and backed up. I can come back to a game after a year on a different PC and lose motivation.
Anyway, it'd be nice to get that same experience on the steamdeck without booting windows.

Ah, that's right: I got windows 10 booting.
Maybe I'm missing something but I can't get steam on windows to recognize that the deck controller exists.
Here's the workaround for non-steam games, good for emulators, but I'd imagine some itch.io titles that won't run on SteamOS are served by this too.
https://github.com/mKenfenheuer/steam-deck-windows-usermode-driver

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 4, 2022

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
Wish there was a faster way to get ahold of screenshots and descriptions of the thirty thousand or so roms I have in emulation station using the scraper.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
I didn’t realize I could plug a keyboard in and get a plain-text linux console by pressing Ctrl+alt+F1 like any old linux PC and be able to swap back to the Steam GUI. No need to boot into desktop mode to do command liney things.

Hooray for computers.

Got a new 4k monitor and plugged the deck in. Google maps in chrome is not the snappiest thing. There’s some limitations to the hardware here…

I’m going to have to look into video players like VLC that’ll run well SteamOS mode so i can play weird old codecs and poo poo from Napster -- Boondock.Saints.720p.DIVX.DVDRip.800MB.[PR0PER]-ShitKickerZz.avi

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 24, 2023

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
I think there was a bug in the Linux kernel that was causing stuttering when run in the deck’s APU, which is why we have the ‘Run one thread per core’ mode in Decky.

3.5 is a pretty big update

E: All the games get updates. To be expected but yeesh.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 17, 2023

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
I use my deck for emulation 70% of the time and I really like the per game performance settings feature where you can down clock everything and reduce the TDP
all the way such that the fan doesn’t even spin but you don’t drop frames. You don’t even have to go all balls out with the power tools and have it consume less than 3W total

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
I wish they went with Hall Effect sticks in the premium (or even regular) models if they're concerned about maintainability. What's an extra $10 on a $600 device?

VG posted:

Outer Wilds is genuinely one of the greatest games ever made by any group ever.
Thing is - these games are hard to come back to once you've put them down. You're assembling a plot out of circumstances and bits and pieces and a year later its all just a fuzzy memory.

Biggest memory of the two hours I spent with Outer Wilds is taking off in my suspiciously rickety spaceship, setting course for a planet and then colliding with a satellite, disabling my thrusters sending me cartwheeling into the sun. Better luck next time, chief.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 28, 2023

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
Any of you ever have your Deck performance tank when coming out of sleep? I'm running EmulationStation/Retroarch - I put the game down, Deck goes to sleep. I wake it up by pressing the power button, and the deck seems to have gone into a state where even the NES emulator is running at 20 FPS. I reboot and all is well.

I'm used to a little bit of jank here and there. Once I held down the power button because it was hanging on shutdown and the Deck wound up taking ten minutes from power up to get into steam OS - the solution was to go into the bios and deselect the battery storage mode.

And another thing - - any of you ever get the back R4 / R5 / L4 / L5 buttons to be recognized by retroarch? I'm trying to set hotkeys and Retro Arch ignores these button presses

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 4, 2023

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
I wonder how many have EmuDeck installed? How many have non-steam software installed? Like - how geeky is the Steamdeck user base?

Like I’d imagine the normie* user to only play console style games and never touch the limit TDP sliders or boot into desktop mode or plug in a keyboard

* loving hate that term, but it’s descriptive

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
What are you trying to do with desktop remoting? I’ve really only had to ssh in and transfer files over win scp

I’ve never had the OS reset itself back to read only mode after disabling it, except after a major system update
https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/671A-4453-E8D2-323C

I haven’t tried but it seems using the deck as a standard Linux desktop outside of running chrome is something the Steamdeck OS ‘fights against’ - I should boot an actual desktop linux system from external storage

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 17, 2023

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I too bought a 3DS XL and there's just no contest, spend the money instead of wasting time trying to contort a standard form factor device into doing something it just isn't meant for.

SteamDeck: Just biting the bullet and no longer dicking with Cemu or MelonDS and Buying A Third, But Also twelve years old, $250 hand held to play Pokerman rom hacks ITT

But yeah I regret selling my 2DSXL despite knowing my DS/3DS backlog is more or less at bankruptcy

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

veni veni veni posted:

It’s crazy how good doom eternal runs on deck. Strangely way better than doom 2016.

What are some other nice looking, recent-ish AAA games that run effortlessly on deck? Like 60fps at relatively high settings. All the RE engine games seem to run really nice too.

I know Doom Eternal's engine can play all kinds of games with variable resolution rendering to keep the 60 FPS target. Enabling the in-game metrics will show that.

While Steam's family sharing with a friend's account I got to play the Dead Space remake, and it barely ran on Steamdeck, even with lowest settings.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
I'd installed GZDoom from the Discovery app and it works fine with WASD+Mouse in desktop mode, but in default mode GZDoom refuses to register any alphabetical key presses on the console or the "name a save screen". Very odd.

Also interesting - when the menu is on screen, Framerate is reported as 35 on the steam deck. Like the classic VGA doom framerate.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
I keep all my getting c + translations in a separate folder alongside the originals. If people care enough to translate a game it’s usually a hidden gem.

Regarding Wii / PS2 etc, you’re only going to be able to play though 1% of any library so just pick and choose whatever is good or recognizable and ignore the rest. Don’t worry about compete sets because there’s just a lot of shovelware licensed games or yearly sports franchises.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Totally Huge posted:

Apologies if this is a rehash in this thread, but I don’t remember seeing anything here since I got my oled deck last month.

The only game I’m left thinking about as the steam sale ends is Diablo 4.

I’m looking for a good solo ARPG experience where I kill things and collect cool gear. Does it actually run well enough on the deck and is it worth 40 bux?

I bought so much I’m not fiending for anything else but it’s been gnawing at me.

runs 45 - 60 FPS on deck with all settings turned down (maybe it'll run fine on medium, but I value my battery life). ....
I'm on Act 6 of 7 of the campaign with my hardcore necromancer (lol into the deep end on first playthrough) and I like it better than Diablo III, but it's kind of my "Lie in bed, listen to podcasts" game this holiday season, kind of like vampire survivors last year.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I can play it unplugged pretty much all day if I’m doing low power stuff like 2D indies and emulation.

FWIW, for 8 and 16 bit games you can turn the TDP all the way down so that the fan doesn't even turn on and not drop a frame or hear a sound stutter. I have TDP settings per-game on emulation station and the deck is silent and only slightly warmer than room temprature when playing those pokemon romhacks

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
I’m finally getting around to playing Rocksteady’s Arkham Asylum. Runs fine with the GE proton compatibility tool. I can turn the deck to like 5 w TDP and retain 60 fps.

And here’s the PhysX demo, featuring the hottest tech of, um, 2010.
https://youtu.be/9_UNRp7Wrog?feature=shared

Except enabling PhysX will pop up an error saying it’ll fall back to the CPU implementation, tanking performance.
This video describes enabling it in Arkham City, the sequel - so I’ll give it a shot…
https://youtu.be/pS9OQ7CW6hE?feature=shared

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
I have a similar Anker one that I just unplug from my work laptop and plug into the Steamdeck and all’s well. This is a good workaround to the slow WiFi of the LCD Deck https://a.co/d/16wa9Ey

Only thing is you really need a 100W charger or else your Steamdeck will slowly discharge when docked. So I wind up using the usb-c charger from a Mac book pro

But, I definitely like the Deck as a device for running Chrome on a monitor with a mouse and keyboard

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
I started up emulation station and it crashed displaying the “loading all games” progress bar. I loaded it again and found that every PS1 iso on my SD card was deleted. Can’t tell if it’s something I’ve done, a bug in emulation station, or the media was corrupted. This poo poo’s all backed up anyway on MS Onedrive.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Heran Bago posted:

Hope the memory card files are okay. How much do you pay to keep your PS1 ISOs on OneDrive?
gone baby gone.

I'm using the family plan split with my 'lil bro who's using it for the office 365 capabilities.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/onedrive/compare-onedrive-plans

The idea for onedrive was that I kept losing rom and game save archives over the (ah poo poo...) decades we've been doing this.
So it's nice to have a new install of windows, log in to OneDrive, have it mount in the c:\Users\myUser directory. Double click snes9x.exe, open Terranigma.sfc and see game saves from the PS2 era from within the game, all roms downloaded on demand, all saves and save state files uploaded as they're created, and seamless to any emulators.

Except there's no such OneDrive client for Linux that integrates as well as windows. Big surprise. (Also - I think I've hosed around with setting up emulators and mapping buttons for one lifetime.) Any new rom hacks / isos are uploaded to onedrive and I just zip up all the save files directory on the EmuDeck and stick it on one drive.

BTW the Steamdeck BIN/CUE + ISO -> CHD compressor tool is awesome. Gamecube and PSP isos have special formats, and PS1 games sometimes come as Bin/Cue, which Emulation Station handles poorly

John Wick of Dogs posted:

If your game has a name where people are going to ask you "Is that a... Sex game?" You have named the game poorly.

Might I recommend Stephen's Sausage Roll? :quagmire:

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
If you haven't installed the bios files into the right directory none of the consoles that require them will work. Luckily, EmuDeck's desktop app has a launcher for a little utility that will check if the bioses are installed and configured. EmuDeck people did a Good Job in removing most of the fiddly parts.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
the other day I went to Gamestop and they tried to sell me on a Razer branded nursing pillow with LEDs

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Dramicus posted:

Back then, give or take, I was installing Ubuntu and marveling at the spinning desktop cube/sphere/other weird 3d accelerated desktops. Never found anything useful to do with them, other than spin the cube every once in a while.

A lot of sparkly poo poo going aggressively nowhere.
Meanwhile - I plug my deck into a 4k monitor and it’s like high dpi support is a foreign concept

Suburban Dad posted:

I'm glad hentai games weren't really a thing when I was a kid, or I was too naive to know about them.
I remember looking at this thing in “Video Games and Computer Entertainment” magazine in my grade school library :hawaaaafap:

https://www.giantbomb.com/metal-lace-the-battle-of-the-robo-babes/3030-248/

https://www.giantbomb.com/metal-lace-the-battle-of-the-robo-babes/3030-248/images/

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Cyrano4747 posted:

How’s dead space (the remake) ok deck?
Tried it got about 2 FPS even with all the settings off

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Vic posted:

It runs fine at 60

Huh! Dead Space remake was running at around 2 FPS at launch. So, maybe there’s some combination of driver and shader updates that made it happen. Thought it was purely down to the Deck not being powerful enough

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Cyrano4747 posted:

It constantly amazes me just how much small screen + low res combines to make games that I would never imagine doing in a portable work out OK.
I know, right?

Lower resolution means shaders don't need to run on as many pixels, when means you don't need as many compute units on your SoC. Lower res means smaller textures, which means you don't need as much VRAM, which means you don't need super fast storage, or a radiator and fan the size of a GPU. Suddenly a handheld with a TDP of 16W becomes totally possible.

I was trying to run Dead Space Remake on my (heck-in rad for 2014) GTX 980 / 8700k desktop and it also ran like ~20 FPS even with all the settings turned down so there has to be some sort of missing hardware support that the game is expecting that it's falling back to software rendering or god knows what. I'm going to have to try again with new drivers on the PC vs whatever the Steamdeck provides.

Wolfsheim posted:

But time and the general shittiness of PC ports back then has probably smoothed over however tedious that experience was at the time

Hogama posted:

My computer's integrated graphics card in '98 could not handle the battle transitions and gradients fading in/out well, it was very, very slow for each (funnily enough once in combat or back on the world map it was, like, playable).

"Yes, that's right. The midrange PC you bought from Circuit City in 1996 is incapable of playing a game from 1998 without severe restrictions. Get out your wallet."
Software rendering runs correctly but runs like rear end. 3d acceleration requires an a brand of card that I didn't have
I remember installing a sound font of samples onto my SoundBlaster AWE 32 sound card to make the MIDI sound closer to the PS1 original. Or you could playback midi with the Software based synthesizer, which also tanked performance. So much poo poo, man.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 12, 2024

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Atoramos posted:

I once bombed an interview question by not knowing the slightest about how console caching of arrays was optimized, and how it was critical to leverage that optimization versus more complex data structures typically found when developing for PC hardware. The company in question had just performed a port that required a ton of tricks to do just that.

we talking about L1 / L2 cache?
With arrays you're guaranteed for data to be contiguous in RAM. base address + (size of data type * index of element) = address of nth element - so a CPU is able to pre-fetch several elements of the array at once. The only thing faster is register to register operations.
This is compared to using a linked list where "Crap we have a memory address... is it in cache? Ram? Paged out to disk? who knows? Let's just burn cycles figuring it out..."

Anyway this sounds like a computer architecture question on stuff from ~30 years ago.

e: not a game dev, not sure what would warrant that kind of optimization that couldn't be done on the GPU instead.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I also think you're really underestimating how much generational change there is between consoles. Just to start with, the PS4 has half the RAM that the PS5 does. You can degrade the graphics and the models all you want, but eventually you just run up against hard limitations. IIRC system RAM was the specific thing that made the PS4 version of Cyberpunk so notoriously poo poo.

PS5 games are meant to be constantly streaming/decompressing from SSD storage, "If it's not on screen it's not in RAM". Assets are constantly being evicted effectively making RAM just another form of cache. Which means a game isn't as constrained as a PS4 game where there's a physical drive head that zips around a platter.

PS4 -> PS5 is more like "Storage was the last bottleneck. You need to rethink how EVERYTHING works if you want to produce AAA games."
there's a reason why Epic acquired RAD game tools and their compression suite.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

this switch case vs the old steam deck case. One is meant to be wrapped in cardboard and be dropkicked by fedex, and one slips into the front pockets of a backpack