Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Got a steam deck a few days ago and that vent smell is divine goodness me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I’m getting foot surgery next month and I wanted to be able to play all my poo poo while im laid up.

I have looked around and see a few different things regarding linking my series x streaming and piss5 streaming but I’m still confused
Anyone using the steam deck as a catch all that has any advice?

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Having a great time playing max Payne on my deck. Runs pretty well without any mods using one of the older protons.

Also installed alpha protocol which I haven’t booted up yet but hoping I won’t have to tinker too much, I remember having to tinker with it a little way back when I last played on my laptop

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Party Boat posted:

Despite owning all three games for years (thanks humble bundles) I never played a dark souls. A fromsoft loving friend reminded me of them over Christmas do I decided to give the first one a go on deck and ended up completing it including optional bosses and now I'm into DS2. The time that I get to game in front of a TV or at my desk is short and prone to interruptions so if I hadn't been able to grab a quick session before bed on the deck I really doubt I'd have gotten into it enough to get hooked. Now I think I'm going to play the full trilogy on this little thing.

This but for the Yakuza series
Beat LAD and working on 0 and then got a few more to play through while sitting in bed.
Just makes my giant rear end steam library so much more accessible

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I love my steam dick

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Kinda at the stage where I've done so much loving around in Desktop mode that I wanna flash the entire deck back to stock and then do these new boosts

Yea I’m kind of with you on that

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Spent an hour last night updating steam covers on games I’ll never play

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I’ve been chewing through snow runner on my deck it’s a great before bedtime game and runs really well in the deck

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Majin posted:

What a *steal* - ask me for tips on Steam deals.

Holy poo poo lol

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Been using a micro sd card with my 256 steam deck can’t tell any load time issues but hey maybe that’s just me

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Necrothatcher posted:

I can only conclude my body has become Deckified.

jokes posted:

Steam Deck: No loads refused

Steam Deck: I can only conclude my body has become Deckified: No loads refused

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Disappointing Pie posted:

I've reached the stage of gaming procrastination with a new device, where I've tinkered so much with it, instead of just playing the drat games I now want to reformat the entire thing and start over because I feel I've tinkered too much?

Why am I are we like this?

I haven’t reformatted yet but I’m thinking about it
My desktop mode looks like a mess
Nice to know that’s always an option

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Gonna RMA so I can regain vent smell otherwise totally satisfied

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

KingKapalone posted:

When I install non steam games in desktop mode, like a GOG game, or Battle.net, what location should I install these in? I've been using a Games folder I made in z:\home\deck but I see now that it must be a small partition.

When a game installs to the standard C drive location, it's pretty much impossible to find when trying to add it to Steam and I even know where to look, but it's a bunch of random numbered folders.

Yea one gripe I have is it is hard as poo poo to find gently caress all in desktop mode

Quick question seeing as I have bought all the hitman games like 3 times and also watched multiple YouTube reviews of world of assassination as it is now called can any goon who has played it tell me if this is a solid pick up at like 38 dollars usd? I feel like I will play the poo poo out of this on deck provided it runs well

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I refuse to connect a mouse and keyboard to my steam deck

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Squiggle posted:

Hitman 3 runs shockingly well on Deck, and is absolutely easy to get to running and looking good at 40fps locked for battery. When you say bought all the hitman games, you mean other than the latest three? If you've played 1 and 2 of the recent trilogy, then it's...probably still worth it, yeah, Hitman 3 ruled. But if you haven't played 1 and 2, then it is absolutely worth it.

I bought the latest (1,2,3) on piss5 and have had a great time but I’m getting foot surgery at the end of the month and due to where my TV is located I think I could sink dozens of hours into this if was good on steam deck.

Got to Hokaido and spent 6 hours trying to pass the mission and I refuse to look anything up but tbh I mostly play high and something about that level made it a roadblock for me

I enjoy reading the hitman thread here the same way a guy hanging out at a mechanics shop would enjoy hearing the boys talking shop and nodding their head even though they don’t own a car

Also I was hoping there was significant choppiness or something because I think I gotta get it now but thanks 🙌

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Whoever suggested boneraiser minions earlier thank you, this game is really loving fun and a steal at 3.99

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Detective No. 27 posted:

I installed Chiaki yesterday but it’s unusable as my upload is garbage. Aw well.

Yea it sucks rear end with my internet
Assuming it’s my upload too
Grainy and janky poo poo

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Downloaded American Truck Simulator
Have it running on high at 40 fps for the most part and this game is perfect for decking it up after surgery!

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Squiggle posted:

Deck as a truck sim platform is great. Use the compatibility options to run it with any Proton version instead of the native client and you can crank all the graphics settings up to near max, it's great. Kinda weird the native client runs worse than the proton version!

Hey good to know!

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

an actual cat irl posted:

Is it ok to ask for game recommendations in here?

I'm looking for an FPS shooter that works well on the steamdeck, and doesn't require me to be online (I have a very long plane journey ahead of me). I've previously enjoyed COD (all of them), Titanfall 2, Doom + Doom Eternal, Dying Light, Serious Sam (all of them), Far Cry 4/5, all the Wolfenstein games. I'm not big on stealth games, or hand-to-hand combat. Can anyone suggest something for me to check out next? Thanks!

Prodeus

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I got foot surgery and have found myself playing my deck even though I’m in the room with my ps5 and Xbox in it with a gorgeous tv

Just to grab and play in my recliner is fabulous

I’ve sunk like 20 hours each into yakuza 0, persona 4, and Snowrunner

It’s like a gaming renaissance for me

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I don’t see any handheld “beating” the Steam Deck for at least like 3 years and it’s probably going to be the Steam Deck 2. It just hit the Venn Diagram sweet spot of price, performance, utility etc.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

History Comes Inside! posted:

I reached the point of having to janitor games off my 512GB deck tonight so I just joined the aliexpress 2TB train in a fit of consumerist indulgence.

Then I had to order a usb c memory stick from mymemory because lol I’m not getting that from aliexpress what do I look like, the worlds biggest total loving idiot?

Hey crazy idea here but try beating games 😂

Edit: And then uninstalling them
I have a 256 steam deck plus 256 sd card and not only have I beaten more games since I got a deck (and then added them to a “beaten playlist” and deleted them) but I currently have 90 games installed between the 2 and I can’t imagine needing more storage than that at any given time unless I was on an archaeological dig in Sudan and was going to be without internet access for a year

Honestly I feel like as a vent sniffer and life long gamer a lot of SD owners are falling into this min/max sink hole of trying to maximize their storage for no other reason than trying to maximize their storage.

If anyone wants to pry open their deck and spend more money far be it from me to stop them but I’d like to let all the new Steam Deck owners know there are very few practical reasons to do any prying open unless some part of your Deck actually doesn’t work

SilkyP fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 23, 2023

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Mr E posted:

Has anyone tried sonic generations on the steam deck? It’s not verified but I wasn’t sure if there were actual issues.

Worked out of the box fine for me!

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I saw that triangle strategy was on sale and decided to check it out.
Wonderful game so far sunk 10 hours into it the past 2 days.
It’s my first experience with this 2.5 D graphics and I’m loving it

Music and voice acting is top notch and the story is pretty compelling. The combat is fun too, bring me back to my tactics days on gba

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

What I miss most about my switch is nothing steam deck rules

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Not necessarily steam deck specific but just bought Don’t Feed The Monkeys on sale for like 2.50 and really digging the game and it works perfect on steam deck

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

The only thing I didn’t like about max Payne 3 was how unskippable the cut scenes are

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Hitman world of assassination is such a great deck game.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Photex posted:

so is CryoTools one everyone's recommended/required install along with boosting to 4gb VRAM? I'm officially in tinker mode

If I already have cryo installed do I still need to go into bios and change vram to 4gb?

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

tater_salad posted:

I just play games on it. I'm a sicko

That was me until I started reading this thread and second guessing myself

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

No lie though the deck has been one of the better purchases I’ve made in recent years

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

fit em all up in there posted:

Has anyone here gotten Pokemon Infinite fusion to run on deck ?

Yep works well

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I actually don’t mind my loud fan since it’s not actually that loud and it lets anyone around me know the kind of gaming power I have in my hands
Miss my deck smell

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Bought Midnight Suns on sale, finding this to be a pretty much perfect deck game
Good for short bursts or long play sessions
Was worried I wouldn’t like it since it plays different then XCOM and XCOM 2 but it’s actually pretty fuckin fun
Also I can crank it to ultra when I’m plugged in and get a pretty smooth 30 fps

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

priznat posted:

I finished the main story of Midnight Suns and the DLC missions (excellent game, will NG+ it for sure) and was going to dig into my steam backlog for other things to try out on Deck.. I had bought Griftlands on sale so thought to try that but unfortunately even though it is "verified" the text is way too small to play easily I found. Seems to be a thing with Klei games, Oxygen Not Included is also verified but I had the same issue. Maybe younger folks find it easier but the text is really small on the Deck screen.

Ah well going to see if Disco Elysium is also in the same boat.

I’m also wrapping up Midnight Suns, really solid and enjoyable title. Not sure if I’ll go back and NG+ at the moment as I have a gigantic back log

Disco Elysium is probably a GOAT title for me and I beat it once on my laptop and once on steam deck, I thought it played just fine on the deck

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Detective No. 27 posted:

This is really cool. Also, what is that keyboard for? I'm intrigued.

I could be mistaken but those look like Norwegian maritime symbols

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Suburban Dad posted:

Another likely unpopular thing for this page: I don't like making configs and if the default or top community one feels bad, I probably won't play the game. Short of adjusting sensitivity or assigning something to the back buttons, I hate dicking around with configs personally. I just want to play games! I hate going into desktop mode and put it off usually.

Same but I will say the steam deck has had some pretty niche games I’ve played where community suggested layouts had one by some crazy genius that took all the work out of it for me
I have to assume harnessing the power of thousands of nerds means as time goes on more and more poo poo will have serviceable layouts available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Deck keeps winning