Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Absolutely selling my Switch + games and picking this up.

Nintendo titles just aren’t numerous enough for me to be satisfied, so I’m left with lots of indie ports. Might as well get those on Steam for 25% of what they run on the Nintendo digital store.

I doubt the hardware will struggle to keep up with things as much as the Switch’s does, too.

e: And yeah, the emulation angle is extremely appealing.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

loudog999 posted:

Shove a paper clip in your Switch and see if you can mod it. If you can you will probably get enough to buy the Deck by selling the Switch alone and get to keep your games.

Patched SN. drat.

Soul Glo posted:

I wonder where Steam thinks it's going to make up the loss in the pricing. They don't have a subscription service like GamePass or even PSN or Xbox Live to get users to make up the difference in the long run. Just about everyone buying this thing already has a deep Steam library, so I would assume the increased software sales won't make a huge contribution to their coffers.

Maybe they just believe they can sell it for a profit later on or that iterative models will be profitable and they want to push handheld computers into the mainstream so they can collect later?

Can't speak for anyone else, but I've drifted a bunch from PC gaming as I've gotten older. This will direct a lot of my game money back to Steam where before it was mostly going to PS or Switch games.

e: vvv And yeah, with the walled garden paradigm having won the consumer electronics wars, making Proton better is a no-brainer.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 18, 2021

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

I’m selling my Switch and picking up a Steam Deck precisely because of terrible third-party game performance. I like Nintendo games okay enough, but I’d like to play indie titles without frustration, too.

If the Deck can play the lion’s share of 2D indies at at least 30 FPS, that’s better than what I’ve seen on my Switch. Plus, Steam sales are regular and deep. Nintendo makes my wallet hurt ~~

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Thinking of that Switch conversation earlier...

https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1447166776043769864?s=20

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Heran Bago posted:

I read up on this a little. The non-steam version seems to run ok on Linux via Lutrix. Some minor issues with a few specific cutscenes.
The steam version has other issues that I imagine will be ironed out officially or worked around by fans.

People also play the game on lower-end hardware and portable Windows machines. It will run, but the real questions are how well, and what the performance difference is between Steam OS and Windows 10/11.

FWIW, I don't recall any problems playing* non-Steam FFXIV on Pop!_OS w/Lutris around a year ago.

In my experience with Linux gaming, if an MMO is reasonably popular and not completely broken, hiccups are resolved quickly. Players are really motivated to get back into their grinding. :)

* Getting it installed required maybe an hour of reading and fiddling.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

The United States posted:

Just use Win 10 Linux. There's no reason to use Windows 11 on it.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

The only reason I'd want to use windows on it is because of FFXIV. I don't own the steam version and it is its own separate account system so I couldn't play it.

FWIW, I played FFXIV quite a bit on Linux and it worked fine.

I’m PS5-only on it now, but that’s just because I’ve grown to prefer couch gaming.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Can’t say I’m buying a Deck for multiplayer action, but that is really awesome news for Linux gaming in general.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

SEKCobra posted:

I really don't like the fact that my ship date is the same as general availability despite ordering right away.

IDK. Current reservations are listed as “after Q2.” My day 1 reservation is just “Q2.” I’d assume getting a Deck without a reservation is going to be a Q3+ affair.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

at this point it’s all reading tea leaves and none of them have actually gotten shipped, right?

Correct, and given the dire global chip situation, eh just be happy if you get yours within a quarter of their estimate.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

"Press review embargo on Steam Deck coverage will lift on February 25th, but keep an eye out for some preview coverage and impressions before that. In the meantime we're working to tie up the last few loose ends and polish some rough edges, and are excited to get these out to you at the end of next month!"

Happy to be juuuuust barely behind the front of the line for this.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Suburban Dad posted:

For those ordering decks in the near future, get some money off steam bucks.

15 bucks off my Deck. Thanks!

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Hell yeah. Email received. 28m after live.

The calculator was right. :tinfoil:

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

JazzFlight posted:

Just want to mention because I'm absolutely furious right now:
If you bought that Best Buy deal on Steam Cards (as I did, $200 worth), be aware that they might not arrive activated!

Way to go, Best Buy! Let's see how support can help me with this.

just used my activated cards to fund my steam deck purchase. :smuggo:

e: ^^^ i am extraordinarily paranoid about getting this thing delivered, though. i've had really horrible experiences with fedex and electronics in the last few years.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 18, 2022

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

thanks guys. Also sorry for all the newb questions, but is there any way to gauge when your's might be shipping? I pre ordered like...maybe 2 hours(?) after it was announced but it's still just "q2(april-june)

This was correct for me: https://steam-deck-calculator.web.app/

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

holding my new deck in front of me with the fans on, i wouldn't consider it too loud unless you wanted to use the thing, like, in bed next to a sleeping SO. even then, it'd probably be drowned out by a room fan, AC, a white noise machine, etc.

also, this thing is neat!

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Since I just received my Deck, I've transitioned into "finding things that are madly satisfying to play on it" mode.

What are you enjoying, Deck-havers?

One day in, I'm loving:

- Death's Door
- Disco Elysium
- State of Decay
- Super Mega Baseball 3
- Void Bastards

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Also just tried Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice with headphones. Ran quite well. Too freaky for cozy couch play, though. :unsmith:

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Loop Hero now has controller support. My life is over~~

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

evilmiera posted:

So after this many pages, what's the general consensus on the Deck? Is it worth the wait?

it is v. cool, op. shockingly good for the price.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

chainchompz posted:

If the deck had arrived before I needed to replace my laptop I probably wouldn't have got the laptop, even if the new laptop blows it out of the water hardware-wise, I do so much gaming on the deck now.

I think I'll get my money's worth out of it easily.

Yup. Totally lovely device.

Have a big Steam backlog that you've accumulated over the years? Play a lot of non-demanding indie titles? Like emulation up to and including, IDK, let's say Dreamcast or PSP? Absolute no brainer.

It's only questionable, IMO, if you really, really want to play a lot of cutting-edge 3D games. It's very nice, but it's not magic.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I really can’t wait for this to come to the stable build.

yeah. 30 can feel a little gummy to me after getting used to higher rates on my ps5.

40-45 would be nice. don't need the drain of 60.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

i put 30 games on my deck, but all i want to do is play vampire survivors.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Kaboobi posted:

Persona 4 Golden and Batman Arkham City were verified today, that’s a lotta game I kinda want to replay

yeah, just noticed P4G on my "Great on Deck" tab.

there goes what's left of my free time!

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Chas McGill posted:

Why isn't p5 on Steam? The deck is absolutely perfect for JRPGs, I might even finish it this time.

give it a couple of years.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

I've noticed that the deck heats up while charging so that may not be the best idea?

+1. personally, i wouldn't risk it. might just be paranoia, though.

I'm loving my Deck so far. Really great "what the Switch should've been," at least for third-party titles. I bought a ridiculous number of ARPG indies over the past week, and rather than running choppily and costing me $200, they run well and cost me $35 all together. :hai:

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Suburban Dad posted:

I love arpgs, please share what you got and how they run!

Nothing particularly niche. I'm enjoying many of the ARPG and roguelike greatest hits of 2015-2022 on the Deck that didn't click with me on a desktop for whatever reason. Lots of back catalog stuff.

- Risk of Rain 2
- Dead Cells
- Vampire Survivors
- Moonlighter
- Noita
- Children of Morta
- Hollow Knight
- Blasphemous
- Carrion
- Death's Door

Etc.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

I can’t seem to get PoE to work right. It’s not recognizing the controller.

Maybe I’m wrong, but isn’t full controller support not being patched in for another week?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

It’s there in a beta state on the live client.

All the UI changes correctly when you select it as well. I haven’t had a chance to try it again because I’m playing shadow of Mordor.

Just queued it up for an install, in that case. Will give it a whirl tomorrow.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Insanite posted:

Just queued it up for an install, in that case. Will give it a whirl tomorrow.

Tried PoE out with a cloud config save that was several years old. The controller layout defaulted to some jacked up community one. After I switched to one of the Valve gamepad layouts, all was good.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

SEKCobra posted:

Welp, things were too good to be true, already experiencing crashes in a few games and they are actually verified ones. This is bad, because of this happens too much ot ruins the viability of the deck for consumers.

Which games? Can't say I've had any crashes of verified titles, yet. Not "playable" or "IDK, try it" ones, either.

Did you report any issues to Valve? SteamOS frequently asks you about the state of verified titles on each game's page, and there's also this: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1675200/discussions/0/3186865924592128220/

Insanite fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 14, 2022

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Anyone have any gamepad configs that they like for Project Zomboid?

It's at the top of my "games that run well on Deck but control like rear end" list.

On a related note, anyone have any slowish or turn-based strategy games that are working well for them?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Anyone else have any issues with the latest stable update ("Fix-it Friday") seemingly not applying? I have a notification for an update that just won't take. :(

e: NM--went away after applying the update after that one.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 24, 2022

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Note: Bomber Crew is free for the week and it seems to work well on the Deck.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

sigher posted:

iPhones have Gorilla Glass or whatever Sapphire name they call it though, the Deck's screen isn't on the same level.

I love my Deck, but it sure doesn't feel as durable as the iPhones, MBPs, or ThinkPads I've had in the past.

I'm hoping that I never drop it unless it's from a couple of feet up onto carpet.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Carteret posted:

lol look at this non-deck haver

imagine not having a deck at this point

just lol

the shame

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

"Just use an external HD in the top USB port" is probably far easier for most people who have one laying around. This isn't a hacked normal console where you have to jump through FTP or SD card "shuttling" to get things on; the SD card having a weird format is irritating but since the deck just basically-natively recognizes FAT32/NTFS external hard drives you can just plug in the 5TB external backup drive you've had sitting on your desk for years and let it copy off that without anything more complicated than a USB-C hub or an A-to-C adaptor.

This, basically. I’m a full-time Linux guy, but the simple allure of the hub and drive method wins out in my gaming life.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

mem posted:

P4G runs great for me, no issues at all and I'm a few hours in. Just ran it with bog standard settings, second game I've played on deck.

Same to this. Zero issues with P4G.

OP wouldn’t happen to have old saves they’re trying to jump to on the Deck? I do see a report about that on ProtonDB, FWIW.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I just got an Anker USB-C hub and it's worked out great when I need to install or manage something in desktop mode

Yeah, just an Anker 341 in my case. Works fine. Charges. HDMI port. Can't complain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Enjoying Kingdoms and Castles, which just got a Deck update. Runs and controls nicely.

Anyone have any colony/village/town sims that are good and Deck-friendly?