Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hey guys, I'm going to be changing jobs this spring to something that has me traveling a heck of a lot more. I love my Switch but I'm giving up hope of getting the library I assumed we'd have 6 years ago. I basically want to load something up with all the top-tier games I missed from the 2010's when I didn't have a PC. Also any Gamecube and PS2 compatibility is welcome. I have a RP3+ for my earlier retro library but would love to get more current games.

Anyways, I caved and ordered a Deck on Monday. Says it's packaged and waiting to be shipped. Hurry up and get here, sucka!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Cowman posted:

which one did you get

512. I was gonna go small and upgrade the chip myself but ehhhhhhhh nahhhhhh.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh snap mine will be here Friday.

I love living 15 minutes from a major east coast shipping hub.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

ItsHappening.gif

I know to use Russ for any retro guides but what are the must-do’s for regular old Steam gamin’?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
This hombre is CHUNKY.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Shoot man I smelled the vent before anyone told me to. Like first thing.

Smells nostalgic. Reminds me of the Christmas that I got my first laptop, a Sony Vaio :allears:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Sell me a Steam Deck vent candle.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Also all premium devices should come with a case this nice.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It’s taking me awhile to get used to holding this thing. I’m so used to eagle-clawing handhelds, it’s weird to hold one that has the ergos of a controller.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Suburban Dad posted:

Yeah sleep mode all day. That's the best part about it, pick back up instantly and why the switch was so great when it came out.

How much percent do you lose in like a night of sleepy time?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Playing Portal 2 for the first time ever thanks to the deck.

This game is so good I hope it never ends.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Bob A Feet posted:

When’s the next big steam sale? I have a big enough back log but I’m finding this thing is perfect for being able to knock out the single player/story driven games on it.

You guys know to check stuff like cdkeys too right?

Also you’re super right. I have so many games I’m gonna be able to finish now that I can just pick it up and go while the TV pumps out dumb poo poo. BOTW was absolutely amazing because I could do exactly that, then Nintendo made odyssey and only a few other decent games over 6 years.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Barreft posted:

It's the Deck, who needs cdkeys?

Sometimes their keys are insanely cheap.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Finished Portal 2. Wow, I wish I knew a decade ago how much I would love this game.

The music, the dialogue, the puzzles, the ending, gah. So good.

Thanks SteenDock!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The space core getting his wish made me so happy.

Also the defective turrets. Especially the one that came out still in the box lmao.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Whoooa ok, are those decent quality? I will clurple my steamdook immediately if so.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Sweet! Also here’s another game report:

I’ve been having a dilemma with Subnautica. I don’t want to dedicate my tv to a mindless out and back game (even though I love the genre) and it looks kinda bad on my switch. After some tinkering I got it to look pretty without going into leaf blower mode and now I get to enjoy this gorgeous game on the go and on my couch.

Steam Deck! I’m actually playin games on it!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Before I do, is the game old enough for people to post un-spoiler stuff? I am 100% blind and don’t know anything other than oxygen anxiety is real and peeper fish has good macros.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I honestly played the whole thing with sticks and the amount of times I had to aim in the air was very low. Most puzzles I could take my time setting up then MAYBE shoot a portal directly in front of me while moving.

Nothing was harder than aiming my move-fast gel jumps and that was with the left stick.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

there's nothing to get used to with gyro aiming, it's the most natural thing in the world. it's not some complex code to crack

I absolutely have a hard time with it. Every time I got back into a switch Switch shooter I try it and lose patience.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Loving my deck. I think I’m gonna play new Zelda and say gooooobye to my switch and its monthly sub for game boy rom drops.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
How's Switch emulation? I have a Switch and pay for games but wouldn't mind playing MP Remastered on this now that I realized how much better the grips are.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I'm enjoying Subnautica but I want something story driven to play in between my drownings.

I'm thinking about cracking open another well-liked game I've never touched, Fallout New Vegas. Prolly a good Deck pick yeah?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

barbecue at the folks posted:

I finally pulled the trigger on a 64Gb Gabe Gear (money is tight and I figured I'll update the drive as some point anyway) :toot: It should arrive next week, p. excited to get back to proper PC gaming for the first time since 2011 or so.

Yeah that’s how I felt. I built a proper PC in lIke 2020 then realized at some point in my life I stopped wanting to sit at a desk.

I use it for social gaming with friends but playing a full campaign RPG in my office? Naw dog.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Of course I bring up fallout NV right before it goes on sale for 2 bucks. Heck yeah I’ll bite.

Also copped noted incredibly good game, Hades, on the cheap.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Ignis posted:

If you're paying for internet that outperforms your local SSD, you probably could afford a NVME drive too

I get a gig and like 4 ping from Google with a TB of cloud storage for 70 a month.

I’m lucky to be in a big ol city.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
drat Hades is good on this thing. I accidentally played 15 minutes which was actually 2 hours.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Broforce is so fun with friends. Legitimate belly laughs when we’re all relying on that one guy who dies stupidly.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It is, no joke, the best couch co op game I’ve ever played. So much hilarious stuff happens constantly

Same sort of laughs with The Forest, once me and a buddy decided to just start eating the cannibals.

We’re enjoying the sequel all the same. We ate the first person that approached us, we had only been on the island like 4 minutes lmao.

Co-op gaming is such a gift.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Saoshyant posted:

I sing a certain song whenever I take my van out

Haha I have this and a RENT ME FOR 19.99 uHaul van.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Squiggle posted:

Tinkerer's hubris comes for us all one day

No way I don't want to mess up my cool new gaming toy.

My 2000 dollar PC? Yeah sure I'll try using mayo as thermal paste for science, why not.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
How's RE8 on this? I've never played it but I want to after giving RE3MAKE a go.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Even guys on Reddit are like “download FurMark for the ultimate smell”

We all sick.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I honestly love the Switch's size and if they sold a Deck mini I would pay anything for it.

It's the old rear end hardware of the Switch that turns me off.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Took my deck on the first of many work trips.

The network wizard was hitting an error bringing up the hotel splash screen to log in so I closed it, opened a browser and did it that way. Bang boom, internet. Coming from the Switch, this is HUGE. So many times I'd have my game thing with me in the middle of nowhere, USA, ready to play some Kart or Smash only to have Nintendo OS completely botch loading the hotel's page to log in then tell me to gently caress off because their console can't have a decent browser in 2023.

It's big but oh well, this is what's going in my bag from now on.

Also, RE4R good then? I'm making myself play 3 and 8 first, then I get 4 as a treat.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Will there be a RE5make if 4 is successful enough?

I wanna punch that ray traced boulder so hard.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I think I just miss co-op RE.

5 wasn't spooky and was downright stupid most of the time, but with a buddy? drat fine gaming.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

CharlestheHammer posted:

A story point in RE5 is literally the virus causes the Africans to devolve into tribal grass skirt wearing savages. Which weirdly only happens once in the franchise

Oooooof yeah I totally forgot about the jungle swamp parts.

Wait and the super weird Indiana Jones temple with the sun laser? Did I dream that part?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I am having a blast with RE3make. The RE engine on the deck is magic or something.

Sorry, New Vegas, I gotta finish this then buy 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I had PGA 2K23 disconnect from my network and crash last night on like the 15th hole during my first try of online.

Is there anything specifically I should look for to keep this from happening or could it have been a fluke? I’m hoping it’s not just “new bad game” because I’m enjoying it on the deck.