Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I’m thinking about it more for the emulation scene. I think it’ll be able to run circles around all the current available Chinese handhelds (though they are in way different price ranges).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I just realized that this is a PC with a touchscreen and I might be able to play osu on it, cool.
I didn't want to bother trying it out with mouse or drawing tablet controls.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Pirate Jet posted:

I got my reservation in seven minutes after they opened and I’m at a Q1 2022 delivery. I really have to wonder how many people managed to get in for a December 2020 one.
It's probably all for the best if we're in the Q1 spot just in case there are any major flaws that people find after their first deliveries. Hopefully I won't have to pay until that first round of shipments is completed and video reviews are available.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah, I saw those. I'm mostly just pointing out that unless valve works some real magic (and who knows, maybe they will), it seems like it's going to be a finnicky experience with additional overhead burdening an already underpowered device. I still think it'll be great for a lot of games, but I think Valve might be overselling the "it just works" aspect a bit. It looks like, as it stands, it's going to take a fair bit of fiddling with settings and stuff to get a lot of windows games to work right. Maybe it'll encourage more devs to port their games to linux though. That'd be nice.
Personally, I'm mainly looking forward to:
-High-powered emulation through stuff like RetroArch, covering systems through Dreamcast/Gamecube/Wii
-Playing games that people say work perfectly or are Linux-native

I'm not convinced about the "bring in your whole Steam library and just go at it," but if I get that too, it's a nice bonus.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I also realized that my GOG games that have linux ports should work well, right?
That's another library of games available.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It is quite big though, isn't it

It'll probably be nice for kicking back and relaxing in a recliner, for car rides, that kind of thing. Doesn't seem like something you can easily carry with you as you're out and about, though.
Well, someone on reddit showed that it’s like the same size as a Switch with the third-party big grips:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/...f&utm_term=link

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 23, 2021

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

repiv posted:

Outlets besides IGN are previewing the Steam Deck now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L2j_pFgEuk

They compare the regular vs. etched glass at 3:25
I know the other videos show a better color/brightness trade-off than this video, but I'm still kind of annoyed that I'm pre-ordering the best version (storage-wise) and I might have wanted the regular glass instead.
At least when I have it in-hand I won't have another Steam Deck to compare it to and it'll look gorgeous without seeing it head-to-head.

I know a lot of comments are talking about playing it outside, but er... I don't plan to play it outside.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 6, 2021

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

LOL I was just about to post that this video's gonna get taken down soon for breaching some sort of NDA.

...then I saw that it's Valve's official YouTube channel. Holy poo poo, good on them.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I’m planning on just using the 512gb model’s built-in drive for pc games and an sd card for emulator roms.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Arcsech posted:

Well, the good news for that one is you can just install Retroarch and emulate the PSP version if you really gotta get that P4G on your Deck.
P4G is Vita, dunno the state of emulation for that.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

sigher posted:

I salute those who managed a Q1, I'm Q2 and it's going to be an awful loving wait.

However I am excited to see all of the video reviews for it and what people get working on it.
Yeah, I'm Q2 and it's probably for the best as well because everyone's going to work out the kinks, figure out a recommended gamelist without any issues, and have some nice custom software/tricks after a few months.
Same thing applies to getting in a little late with cheap emulation handhelds because of the custom firmwares.

...but like you said, it's going to be torture watching those early videos.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Andrast posted:

The PSP being pretty big just makes the Vita just that much sadder too
I really love the PSP's whole simple metal/sharp aesthetic and hate the Vita's rounded/bubble/touchscreen look. I wish they had never added the touchscreen/back touch panel/cameras/motion, it's just so dated now.
It's partly why I haven't bothered doing much with it and keep delaying modding mine. I just really hate that bubble UI.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Senator Drinksalot posted:

If storage wasn't such a premium on the deck i would probably rip all my switch carts and just run yuzu on the deck.
MicroSD cards, brah. Amazon’s selling like 400gb for $40 today and according to Valve the speed difference isn’t that much, especially for running roms.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Arcsech posted:

Yep

This is a Steam Backlog Machine. I’m not really worried about how it’ll handle the games I bought in 2014 and still haven’t got around to playing.

And yeah, PS2/GameCube and older emulation. Might be able to do something better than that, but if it does that’s a bonus.
While I think the Steam Deck is a great name, they also really could have called it the Steam Backlog.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

DrManiac posted:

I just want this plus older generation emulation. If it can handle up the ps2 and the switch I could get rid of like, 4 devices I have floating around.
I’m hoping I can finally play through the Xenosaga trilogy like I’ve been putting off.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Stux posted:

yup. good luck trying to play mgs.
Or Mad Maestro.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Ya know people make a deal outta the B button falling off the edge, but modern XBox controllers have the same thing with the B button being slightly different from the others too and no one mentions how that's weird.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

TwoDice posted:

am I the only one who turns off rumble whenever I can? it's annoying and burns the battery faster (exception is the steam controller's haptic trackpads, those are good)
I'm kinda glad that the Steam Deck won't have another thing to drain the battery faster, but I do find rumble important in a racing game like Forza Horizon. You can really feel when you need to brake or let off the gas when your car starts to lose grip because the vibration is so subtle.

I also really enjoy the haptic triggers of the PS5 controller for interactions like pulling a gun trigger/bow string or swinging on Spider-Man's web.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

BTW, this is a handy site to check verified and playable games on your account as they get added:

https://checkmydeck.herokuapp.com

I’m a little concerned by the disclaimer on some of these verified games that mentions that you can’t use an external controller for player one. That would mean that all of those games would be unplayable in “docked” mode if they need a controller, right?

I hope they can finagle a universal fix for that by the time they launch their dock.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean out of all the things to get ironed out I don’t think the battery stuff is one of them.
I'm considering using the built-in 30fps limiter to have a stable framerate anyway, since that seems to almost double the battery life on the most intensive games.
It seems to bump the battery to closer to 3-4 hrs.

In addition, I'm also mostly looking at this as a backlog device with older games and emulation getting more play, which extends the battery further.
The games they've been mentioning that eat up the battery in 1.5 hrs are games I'd rather play on a PS5 on my big TV.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

MarcusSA posted:

I was worried to check my steam deck reservation but luckily it’s still Q2.

512 ordered like 5 min after opening due to server issues.
LOL same. Crazy how just a few seconds here or there put us in the Q2 bracket. I was mashing the hell out of that pre-order button right at launch.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Aside from checking each game through Steam's store pages, I wish there was an easy way to know if games in cheap third-party bundles were Steam Deck compatible because there have been some great deals recently. I guess I could also check ProtonDB in case the game is still untested on Deck, but that's not necessarily guaranteed.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

BTW, obviously it's for a good cause, too, but if you want like a bazillion games for your new Steam Deck, consider getting in on this bundle:
https://itch.io/b/1316/bundle-for-ukraine

There's a guide on YouTube for setting up itch.io games, plus a lot of them have Linux ports anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuQGjUuw8_A

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

This shader thing makes me wonder if all non-Steam games will have possible performance issues. Like, I was happy it looked like I could run my free Epic store (or other company's) games on the Steam Deck, but annoyingly they won't have the same support that native Steam versions will have.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

(EDIT, CHECK FIRST!!!: Better deal if you're a new member, use code 15PERCENT instead for a max $20 off on cards.)

If anyone wants to save a little money on the Deck, raise.com has a site-wide 5% off on gift cards with code LUCKY, Steam included. I was a bit gunshy of loading my whole purchase up through that, but I did end up getting $15 off by buying $300 credit.

EDIT: Added new member code above, plus I just confirmed I was able to add the $284.32 purchase of $300 Steam credit to my account. It worked.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 11, 2022

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Kirios posted:

I’m pleasantly surprised how good the Switch emulation already is. I still question whether it can pay the higher end games well but the mid range Nintendo games, like the Pokémon games, will probably be fine.
Especially with how before release, some goons were really mocking the idea that it could play Switch games at all and to lower expectations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

repiv posted:

i just remembered valve launched steam machines without any windows emulation whatsoever and just expected the industry to suddenly start churning out native linux ports for their sake lol

second times the charm
Yeah, that was definitely a misstep. This has way different energy to it.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

moosferatu posted:

You gave me a small heart attack after clicking that link when I feared that I'd been tricked into cancelling my order.

But, thank you, that was very helpful. I was just before 15 minutes after on the 256 model and am in Q2. So, based on what others are saying, maybe April?
LOL, great, if that site is accurate, I'm 25 minutes in for the 512gb model.
Still Q2 listed, but I'm dreading it'll be late June...

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Soul Glo posted:

One kind of downside about the Deck is I bet a lot of older games don’t get verified.

Like last night I installed Batman Arkham Origins because it’s the only one of those I haven’t played through. It’s unverified, but it’s from 2013, so I wasn’t totally surprised it ran at a locked 60fps except when in-game loads would happen as doors opened.

Then, in the first boss fight during a transition from gameplay to a cutscene fight with QTEs, the game dropped all sound and only loaded in the base texture layer (a gray background) and the top layer that had the HIT LT TO THROW BATARANG prompt to finish off Killer Croc. I got through the fight hitting the prompt, and the next cutscene played without sound. Then when you get control of Batman back in the Batcave, it went back to just the base blank texture and I couldn’t do anything.

Like, no great loss, it’s a mediocre game from almost ten years ago, but that game has no chance to get worked on and verified. Would Warner Bros. care, when every year they flirt with selling off the IP? Does the Warner Montreal team even exist anymore to do the work to get the game running on Deck properly, as that was the one game not developed by Rocksteady? Even if an older game still has an active IP and is owned by a studio with the teams intact, where’s the money in doing the work?

Unless Valve is doing work on other people’s games to get them to work, like Xbox does/did a lot of the heavy lifting to get 360 games on the backwards compatibility list for Xbox One and Series, there’s gonna be a ton of games like this, unfortunately.
I could be wrong, but couldn't continued development on Proton in general smooth out these compatibility issues? Even at launch, I think people were recommending selecting the latest experimental branches of Proton to get certain games to run properly.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

From a video I saw of Halo Infinite running via Cloud Streaming, it looks like it only eats up like 8.5 Watts, so it's great on the battery and massively increases your library if you're okay with streaming games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slsqf3PyzcY

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Soul Glo posted:

My Deck has 20gb of the NVME taken up by “Other” and keeps growing. I think it’s games’ validation files, whatever that means, when games download bits of stuff after you play them? I guess it could be save files?

I’m not sure but it’s kind of A Problem, or will be sooner than later.

e: uninstalling a 20gb game from my SD card brought down the Other data on my internal NVME by like 750mb. What in the world. Is that save data? Some sort of drivers or something?
Could shaders take up that much space?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

maybe it's just my use cases but I've had to do a ton of fiddling with my Deck, especially for emulators, but I expected that

actually, I downloaded Inscryption the other day expecting it to work since it's registered as Playable on ProtonDB, but it's crashing immediately. can't even Google to see if anyone else is facing a similar problem, using the search terms "steam deck" only gets me a deluge of reviews and things like that for the device itself
Apparently someone's working on an easy emulator configuration installer, so might be something to keep an eye on:
http://www.emudeck.com/

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/tk2stg/emudeck_emulator_auto_configurator/

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Get that “-June” poo poo out of my face, Steam. I expect my Q2 e-mail April 4, 2022 and will be hella mad if it’s late.
Same. Those online date calculators guessed my order coming through by mid/late May because I placed my 512gb US order 25 minutes in. Of course, that’s if they keep the same slow shipping pace as Q1.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

ColdPie posted:

I've been using a Switch Pro controller.
Just a note: that’s alright for most games, but remember it doesn’t have analog triggers, so it wouldn’t be ideal for racing games.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Goodpancakes posted:

Where Q2 emails gaben
As usual, I think their e-mails go out at 1pm Eastern, right? Everyone get ready to be disappointed.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Did you just get that, like is this a week where they're sending Thursday emails?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Pirate Jet posted:

Mine arrived today.

Arkham Knight runs great. Could push it up to a consistent 60 fps with lowest settings and highest TDP, but then we're talking literally an hour and a half of battery life. I recommend the game's cap at 60 and then set the system cap at 30 to avoid input lag. The screen is a little too small for the open world to be legible but it's great for challenge maps.

GTAV runs excellently, I can get 60fps on lowest settings at only about 8 watts.

Hades I can go all the way down on TDP and GPU clock and still get 60.

Hitman 3 runs very well, as does Doom Eternal. Very nice to play Doom at a native res on a handheld platform.

Vsync is your enemy here, since there's a system-level framerate limiter anyways there's zero reason you should have it on unless you want free input lag. There are a lot of games you can push to 60 very easily but just aren't worth the cost of battery life.
Here’s hoping they add per-game performance settings (or profiles submitted by users like controller configs) so you don’t have to keep tweaking it manually.

It’d be nice to start up a game and just pick between the baseline 30fps battery saver or 60fps performance modes.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Syves posted:

I'm looking at my account details>purchase history and clicking on the reservation there. So I suppose my time would be 10:07 Pacific, since I ordered from Central.
I'm not quite sure if that is accurate (in regards to actual reservation time). People have been pulling the Unix timecode numbers which seem to correspond most accurately.
Like I made sure to mash that order button over and over and refresh etc. at the start of the hour and eventually it went through at what I thought was like 15 minutes in, but according to the Unix time I'm sitting at 25 minutes in.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Suburban Dad posted:

For those ordering decks in the near future, get some money off steam bucks.
Yeah, I already had ~$330 banked from a previous Steam Wallet deal, but at least that one was digital.
I placed an order for another $200 here, but it's annoying because it'll take until Monday for them to deliver the physical cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Just want to mention because I'm absolutely furious right now:
If you bought that Best Buy deal on Steam Cards (as I did, $200 worth), be aware that they might not arrive activated!

Way to go, Best Buy! Let's see how support can help me with this.

EDIT: I got it all resolved, had to call their support line.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 18, 2022