Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Insanite posted:

Absolutely selling my Switch + games and picking this up.

Nintendo titles just aren’t numerous enough for me to be satisfied, so I’m left with lots of indie ports. Might as well get those on Steam for 25% of what they run on the Nintendo digital store.

I doubt the hardware will struggle to keep up with things as much as the Switch’s does, too.

e: And yeah, the emulation angle is extremely appealing.

Shove a paper clip in your Switch and see if you can mod it. If you can you will probably get enough to buy the Deck by selling the Switch alone and get to keep your games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I finally put Android on my spare Switch. It’s not perfect but streaming from my Xbox and GeForce now has given me some idea of what playing in bed on the Deck will be like. It’s going to make the wait until Q2 even harder.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I found the badge that shows how many titles I own on Steam, I was surprised it’s only 354. Judging by how long it takes me to finish games now, the Deck should last me well into my 90s if I play them all.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Got my 256 email today in the US. Had a scare when my Apple Card declined the purchase but was able to verify it and it looks to have gone through the second time.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Rinkles posted:

If you trusts goons, there were similar stories about FedExed PS5s here on SA at the height of the craze.

I have a real horror story concerning my PS5 delivery from UPS. There was a power line down on my road so they took it back and didn’t deliver it until the next day. I still have nightmares about it.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I read that using Chiaki allows remote play from PS5 to work. How is the performance? I’m about 70 hours into Elden Ring and don’t really want to start over just so I can play it on the Deck.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

.Ataraxia. posted:

If you've got a good 5ghz wifi setup you'll be fine. Just run chiaki in desktop mode as when you run it from gamemode it has trouble switching to the game screen after you connect to the PS5. Steam Button + left d-pad pushes the PS button.

Quality is not as good as something like Moonlight, but that's the PS5s fault, not chiakis.

I have Google Wi-Fi setup at home, I’m not sure if that’s considered good 5ghz or not. Luckily I got my tracking number today with an estimate delivery Friday so I may be able to test it myself soon enough.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Samopsa posted:

I'm afraid to say it has been like 75% vampire survivors with Spotify in the background for me, and the rest Elden Ring for now.

This is me as well. Downloaded a bunch of stuff I intended to try out, ended up playing Vampire Survivors until 1 AM. Are you running Spotify from the deck? I wasn’t aware you could. Would I be able to do the same with Apple Music, better yet Audible?

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Samopsa posted:

Everything you install in desktop mode can be added to steam (while in desktop mode: add non steam game and point to the software you wanna use). Dunno if there are native apps for apple music/audible, but if they're not available you can always install the windows version with a compatibility layer. Just google your preferred software + linux to find guides and info.

When you relaunch back into gaming mode you can run the software you added, and the press the steam button -> library to launch a game or whatever. You can run as many pieces of software at the same time as you want in gaming mode, as long as they're added to your steam library.

E: oh and if you add a non steam game it'll have a boring grey box as icon, you can grab properly sized icons for gaming mode here: https://www.steamgriddb.com/

That’s perfect, thanks. I’ll give I a try tonight.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Turns out you can just connect your phone via Bluetooth and listen to audio through the Deck that way instead of looking for compatible apps to install. Seems like the better option for Audible at least.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I just bought Sekiro because it’s discounted on Steam, been wanting to try this out for a long time and I thought it said it was deck verified.

Also, I’m a moron when it comes to most things, so is the reason my Deck barely charged when I use the usb c cable I have in my bedroom the cable or the usb brick I have it attached to? I have this cable.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B076FPGWNZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ZR7PTTQBQ7MV6A9BXDHZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Anyone get a chance to try out Daggerfall on the Deck now that it’s on Steam? I Played it years ago when I had nothing better to do while working a third shift call center job but forgot how it controls and am not sure how it would run on this.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I’m confused about whether this will run FFXIV out not. I’ve read that if you own the non steam version, I do, there is some sort of work around but I’m not confident enough to try it out. I was planning on buying it again through steam but I’ll wait and see if it becomes verified. I guess in the meantime I can try streaming it from the PS5 to see how that works.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

For those of you that are on the beta build, what do you think about the ability to limit the screen refresh rate? I’ve read that setting that and the fps limit to 40 both helps battery and makes the fan run quieter than 60 while being noticeable smoother than 30. Has that been your experience?

loudog999 fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 28, 2022

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Anyone else having a hard time just buckling down and actually playing a game on this? I’m still in the period that I’m just downloading stuff to see what runs and tinkering with it more than playing anything. This weekend I’m going to try to actually start playing in earnest. So far I’ve got what I’m going to play narrowed down to Metal Gear V, Death Stranding, No Mans Sky, or Sekiro. I’ve started all of them before but haven’t put more than a handful of hours in any.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Has something strange happen today. I don’t know if it is because I swapped over to beta or not but I tried launching Dead Rising 2 and it would just go back to the launcher, tried verifying the install and it would not update and showed something like a year update time remaining. When I looked in system settings my 265gb sd card only showed 2.9 gb. Luckily it looked like a complete shut down and restart resolved it.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Harminoff posted:

Anyone get gyro look work In American truck sim? I see a setting to enable it, but it doesn't seem to actually do anything?

Is the setting you are enabling in game or in the Steam controller configuration? There is a system setting in the controller configuration for each game that enables gyro. Also I think it lets you select what button to hold down to activate it, not sure about that one though.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

minusX posted:

Even if there isn't a setting to adjust it, I thought it was putting fingers on top of the analog sticks to activate gyro.

I still think you need to enable it in system settings. This is just going off of what I experienced in Phantom Pain. Gyro wasn’t working until I went into controller configuration, enabled it, then you get the option for it to behave like a joystick or mouse.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

What is a recommended power bank to use for the Deck? I have a vacation with the family and in laws coming up and between myself and all the kids that will be there I am going to need one.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

I’d just get this one In the video.

Sometimes even if the listed specs say it should work it might not.

Perfect, I ordered the Baseus one for about $45 from Amazon. Thanks.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I think in a perfect world Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft should do the same. Nothing gets my anxiety up more than an approaching release date for a Nintendo console. The Wii release was a crazy time to be alive. I felt lucky to have a spot in the back of a lovely old Walmart that allowed me to wait 11 hours to buy one, they had people walk you to your car afterwards because of the fear of muggers.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I wanted to emulate two games, Skies of Arcadia Legends and God Hand. I downloaded emudeck and Skies worked fine, but God Hand wouldn’t load even though I had bios in the right spot. The only way I can get it to load is to add the actual emulator pcsx2 as a non steam game and run it from that but it is widescreen and unchecking the widescreen hack doesn’t do anything. Is there a better way to play ps2 games?

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Has anyone played Shadow of the Tomb Raider on the Deck? How did it handle it and what settings did you use? Thinking about knocking it off my backlog next.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I started Shadow of the Tomb Raider this morning and noticed that my saves didn’t sync over. Is it the same case as in Borderlands 2, if I force compatibility mode it will sync? I didn’t get a chance to try it out before leaving for work this morning.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Dramicus posted:

This might work if the game has a native linux version. Often games will have separate saves between OS versions and they don't sync. If you force the game to run through proton, it will redownload it (the entire game) and then sync any available saves for the windows version.

SEKCobra posted:

Actually it will only download the parts that differ, usually binaries and libraries. The bigger assets are usually identical.

Hopefully that’s the case, it started downloading 25 gigs of something, it’s why I couldn’t test it before leaving. From what I played it’s not a game that I would want to play exclusively on the deck but it would be nice to tomb around a little before bed.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Hoppin Tin posted:

I'm a very old man in my 30's and I want to be like the cool kids.

How do I get better at gyro aiming with the steam deck? I keep seeing poo poo about practicing in Fortnite, but... you know. Epic.

I tried it with a few games, but I don't know what's ideal or how it's supposed to feel "right".

Show me the way goons.

Still aim with the sticks, only use gyro for small adjustments. For me it starts to feel like I’m not using it at all, just slight adjustments to move to a head/leg shot or something similar.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I can’t stop rebuying games I already own on Switch, just picked up both Castlevania collections while on sale.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Does anyone else have a creaky steam deck? When I put a little pressure on the left of mine it creaks pretty loud.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Will someone explain what FSR does? From what I understand I can lower in game resolution without sacrificing image quality. Do you guys use it in most games or is it case by case depending on compatibility?

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

I had installed the itch.io Linux version on the desktop and was fooling around with downloading Linux versions of games but honestly it was a pain to always be in desktop mode, and also lots of games were windows only which the client doesn’t let you install directly.

So - I followed a Reddit guide and installed the itch.io windows app instead. Now it just launches from the deck mode and the games themselves (windows versions) install and launch from there. Everything just works, in a way that is honestly unreasonable to expect.

So if you have lots of itch bundles and want an easy way to play those games on the deck without having to manually download and install them… https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/vwili3/better_way_to_itchio_on_steam_deck/

Another thanks for this, got it running this morning. The only issue I have is that sometimes games will hang while installing but exiting the app and then coming back seems to clear it up. Does anyone have the link to the page that lists the games in the bundles and allows you to sort by reviews and stuff? I can’t remember if it was posted in this thread or another.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

What would the symptoms of a fake SD card be? Whenever I download something to it my downloads keep dropping to 0 and last night I tried to move mass effect to it from internal storage and it errored out after a time. At the time I just thought it was because I was trying to move over 100 gigs so I deleted it, started downloading it again to my SD and it’s been going for about 12 hours.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Trip report using a cheap usb c to hdmi adapter I had laying around. Plugged it up to my deck, connected my 8bitdo controller via Bluetooth and was playing Mass Effect on my old 1080 tv. I had to switch the controller template a couple of times before it stopped forcing kb and mouse control, after that it worked great.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Is there a Steam link setting Im missing. Yesterday playing it connected to my 1080 tv with a cable was fine but when I try via Steam Link to my Apple TV, Steam os is fine but once Mass Effect starts it has huge black bars on both sides of the picture.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I contacted Steam about the spring sound I hear when I press the left trigger and they asked me to send in a video of it. After that they sent me a UPS return label asking me to RMA. I’m not sure if it’s worth it for just a springy sound. Anyone else have this issue? Any easy fix that you know off.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Maybe I won’t bother sending mine in. Seems like the spring noise is not uncommon and other than that my deck works fine.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I broke down and opened mine up to investigate the spring noise in the left trigger. Turns out the spring on that side seemed to be not as pushed down on the little plastic nub as the one on the right trigger and it was catching on the tip and making the noise. I twisted it around a little with my fingers and it stopped making the noise but not sure if it will come back after use. After seeing what the issue was I’m not worried about it, doesn’t seem like it would be anything that could cause any real damage.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I’m having fun with Alice Madness Returns. Runs and looks great on the deck once you turn physx to low in the menu. You can even do the 60 fps tweak and, so far at least, it has stayed locked at that.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Tried New Vegas today and the only way I could get the controller to respond is to force compatibility. Is that normal for New Vegas? I haven’t seen anyone else mention it.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

No it worked great for me.

I have had quite a few deck games where the controller isn't recognized the first time I boot it up and have to restart it and it's fixed. Did you try that?

Yeah, I restarted both just the game and deck. Maybe I’ll try a reinstall to see what happens. Thanks for checking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Veotax posted:

Did you turn controllers on in New Vegas's options? Fallout 3 & NV don't have dynamic controller support, you need to actually toggle between controller and KB&M in the options.

I didn’t see the option, when I went to key bindings and clicked on device it just switched from keyboard to mouse. As soon and I restarted after forced compatibility I saw new settings for the controller.