Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

So how does Proton work? I've never used Linux so I've never looked into it. Would more or less any Windows app be able to run through it?

Basically I'm asking if I would be able to install the Epic Store on this thing to play Hitman 3 without having to dualboot Windows 10 or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

My Switch hasn't been peed on, but I was thinking of getting the OLED model. I have a launch Switch and I was thinking of replacing it last year when I started playing it in portable mode more and wanted to get the new model with the better battery. The OLED one was pushing me to replacing it, but the Steam Deck has changed my mind. Especially if it's good enough to emulate more recent games.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Haven't seen this posted, video from Valve focused towards developers towards developers for the Steam Deck and Steamworks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q_C5KVJbUw

Nothing really new in there, but they do say that they've done more work to Proton that hasn't been released to the public yet and that they are hoping to have EAC and BattlEye compatible before launch.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Aw well, that sucks but whatever.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The SD card in my Switch has been in there since launch day and most of my games are installed on it and it works fine.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

December preorders got delayed to February last month.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

WTFBEES posted:

My first 5 minutes 512GB pre-order is Q1 2022.

Same. It said December 2021 before the delay. All the units are launching on the same day, AFAIK.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Could vary by region. I'm in the UK and I managed to order the 512GB within the first few minutes and I'm in the first batch apparently. I assume that Valve isn't sending units internationally, they probably have stock in local warehouses that they're sending out ahead of time.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It's been a long time since I really looked into emulation, but doesn't a device generally need to be more powerful, if not significantly more so, than the device it's emulating to do a decent job at it?

If by some miracle you can emulate Switch games on the Deck, I'm pretty drat sure it's going to run worse than an actual Switch.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I was looking at this stuff earlier and I'm wondering what "This game does not support external controllers for the primary player", does that just mean it requires an Xbox controller?
It's on a few games that I know have controller support, like DMC4 and Revengance.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Shart Carbuncle posted:

I hope they figure it out, because I hella want to play Revengeance on the Deck.

Oh, Revengance is basically all green, except the controller thing, which is why I was confused on what it meant.

I guessing people are right in that it won't accept inputs from secondary controllers, which probably wouldn't mean anything when playing portable, but if you have it plugged into a monitor or something then it wouldn't accept inputs from a controller you plugged in? I assume the Deck has an option to make secondary controllers primary over the built-in controls, that would make sense.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

ColdPie posted:

The control customization community is going to be nuts.

I believe it. When the Steam Controller first launched I spent weeks trying to make the 'perfect' settings for Mass Effect 1 (I don't think the controller mod existed at the time, so the ME games were still KB&M only on PC), doing all kind of stuff like alternate binds for when in the Mako, on screen menus you use the touchpads with for menu shortcuts and such.

I think after I stopped using the Steam Controller I looked at the most popular ME1 bind a year or two later and it was an offshoot of mine.

EDIT: Ok, just for fun I decided to dig out my Steam Controller and see if there is still much of a community making bindings by looking at some recent releases. Not only do God of War and Horizon: Zero Dawn have default official bindings, but Horizon has actual loving in game support for the Steam Controller

What the gently caress. I can't say I expected that this thing was getting much official support in games an more, much less in Sony's PC ports.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 5, 2022

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I didn't play around with it too much to really see what it does, but the back buttons are mappable in game. I only realised it was there because I looked at Horizon's official bindings in Steam and it was just mapped standard, saying A=A, B=B etc, but the back buttons were just mapped as 'back left' and 'back right' or something, which made me think the game would detect them.

Didn't boot God of War to see if that sees the Steam controller, but it's official bindings are all standard except the back left button lets you toggle the right touchpad between analogue emulation and mouse emulation.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Gamers Nexus has theirs up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeQH__XVa64

EDIT: Yo, this is super in-depth in hardware stuff. Thermals, noise testing, battery life, performance (in Valve's approved games prior to the final embargo) and input latency.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 7, 2022

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Kwolok posted:

Everything so far looks extremely promising.

I thought the press embargo wasn't lifted until launch?

There are two embargoes, apparently. Today was the hardware embargo and the final embargo is later this month just before launch.

Apparently the software is coming in hot and still a bit rough, Valve's only allowing press to talk about like five games and they can't show the Deck's interface.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Kwolok posted:

Do you have a source on the "still a bit rough"?

The videos that have been posted. The Gamers Nexus video says that the software is coming in hot and they understand why Valve doesn't want it shown off yet. Apparently DMC5 got stuck in a loading loop during their audio testing.

They're not saying that it's going to be a mess at launch, just that Valve has been pushing updates daily fixing stuff.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Gamers Nexus has their tear-down up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlsJB3narnk

Haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but their tear-downs are usually pretty good and in-depth.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I'm pretty sure I'm in the first batch, so if yours is later than this, you ain't getting one from the Feb 25th batch

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, Valve had local distributors (in some countries at least) for the Steam Controller and Steam Link. In the UK you could get them from GAME, basically the last remaining chain game store over here.

No idea if they're going to do this with the Deck, will probably be a while if they do.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Reviews are hitting the 25th, I believe. Still a day to go

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Still waiting for mine in the UK. My store page still says Q1 so I'm hoping it'll come in later today or over the weekend.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Aww, guessing I'm in the March 7th batch at the earliest. Was hoping I'd have mine by the 10th at least for reasons. Oh well.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Audax posted:

so they just gotta put in deadzone thresholds into steamui?

Probably already in there, considering all the customisation that's come over from the Steam Controller.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Microsoft doesn't care where you play their games, so long as you're giving them money. If they can get Gamepass on Steam, they'll do it. Hell, I'm sure they'd jump at the chance of getting Xcloud apps on Switch or PlayStation if Nintendo or Sony would play ball.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I'd rather the controls be spread out like that. I hate how cramped the Joycons are.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I think Valve has explicitly said that emails are going out in waves each Monday. So none should have gone out since launch yet.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Ah well, guess I'm not in today's batch then. Shame, would have been good for Thursday when I'm back in the office, if I got it in time.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

My pre-order email is dated 16 Jul, 2021 @ 6:00pm BST for the 512GB model and I still don't have my purchase email. So I'm guessing there were a lot of people in the UK/Europe (however Valve is distributing the stock) who got their purchases in straight away.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Anyone in the UK received theirs yet? I'm wondering how fast UK shipping is. Mostly because we now have to go into the office on Thursdays and I'm worried that it could show up on a day I'm not in.
Any other day I'm going to be home.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yesss, finally got my email. Just paid for my 512GB model.

Now the waiting for it to arrive begins.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Welp, I was supposed to get my Deck today, but Parcelforce are useless fucks and never even attempted to deliver it despite it being marked as out for delivery. Have to hope they'll actually try on Monday.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I dunno', maybe. But it was out for delivery the whole day, I was given an hour slot and could even track the truck on the map for that hour (it never moved from the spot).

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Fantastic, I received my Deck this morning and I need to RMA it. L3 doesn't work, the system doesn't register clicking the left stick in the system software (doesn't light up when pressed in control diagnostics) or in game.

I've updated the system to the latest firmware, powered off and restarted the system, done a factory reset and then tried again without updating. Still not working.
Also Steam Support is throwing up an error when I try to submit a ticket.

Hopefully it's not going to take too long to get a replacement, once Steam lets me make a ticket.

EDIT: Managed to make a ticket in Chrome rather than the steam app

Veotax fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 19, 2022

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Well, my fault for not knowing poo poo about Linux I guess, but I was very surprised that Windows wouldn't read the SD card I formatted in the Deck. Didn't know Linux had it's own file system Windows couldn't read.
Eventually managed to get the stuff I wanted onto my Deck by way of USB stick, but that was more steps than I thought it would be.

Update on my RMA, Valve responded to my ticket on Saturday evening, asked for my phone number so they could call me for troubleshooting before sending out a replacement I guess. Gave them that and the best times to call me, no response yet though.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Guess Valve decided phoning me was too much effort since they've just emailed me a return label and RMA documents. Probably for the best, I don't see them fixing a non-functional L3 with software or something.

Unfortunately it's a DHL label and there aren't any DLH drop-off locations close enough to go to after work. I'll have to wait until the weekend to drop it off.

Hopefully it won't take too long to get my replacement.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Barreft posted:

That's actually true.. Any FFXIV players can take some pics/vids? can it even open it?

There was a recent update to FFXIV that forces the updated launcher with the Steam version of the game which is apparently not Proton compatible. I don't know if a thridparty launcher like XIVLauncher would work though.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Mozi posted:

Ah man, the right thumbstick button isn't registering.

I had that on mine, but with L3 instead. Just dropped off my Deck at a DHL drop-off to be sent back for RMA.
Hopefully it won't take too long to get a replacement.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I'm kind of wondering about Valve's QC on this thing, my Deck also had a dead pixel and the WiFi was spotty as hell, constantly dropping out unless something was downloading, a problem no other device has with my router.

Hopefully the replacement unit will be actually fully functional.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, the RMA process was largely painless for me. Put in a request last Saturday mid-day (UK time) and had a response from Valve in the evening. The weird thing was that they asked for my phone number so they could call me to try some additional troubleshooting I or something, I responded the same day with my number and good times to call but I guess they decided that was probably a waste of time because then I heard nothing until Tuesday when they sent me a shipping label and the RMA documents.

Would have been nice if they had sent me that on the Saturday I guess, but I wasn't able to get to a DHL drop-off point until yesterday anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Still waiting for my replacement deck to be sent out. The tracking shows it arrived at the European site Valve is using on Wednesday. I guess I'll try chasing up with Steam support if it doesn't ship tomorrow?