Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

fool of sound posted:

Hey shrecknet, if you're cool with it we can open this up to talking about politics in tabletop stuff in general. A recent Atlantic article talked about the pro-colonialist subtext in quite a few board games, for instance.

That article is a great primer, as is this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQuFSxs9VXA

History and the colonial period has been a long-standing genre in designer board games, but as the Atlantic article briefly brought up that community is beginning to bring in new perspectives and respect its role as something people learn from either intentionally or inadvertently. A great example of how perspectives can change just from one edition to another is Pax Pamir, which is sets you as a player in Afghan politics in the time that Britain and Russia fought each other’s interests there. Dan Thurot is better able to write on the differences in editions than I can, but there are designers that are out there trying to still explore that space in worthy ways.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I do want to follow fool of sounds’ interest in opening this thread up to other traditional gaming media, so I thought I’d write on one of boardgaming’s recent critical darlings, ROOT.

Root is an asymmetric strategy game where you take control of radically different factions of woodland critters in order to rule the dozen communities that dot the forest. It’s very much Risk-meets-Redwall, but the presentation makes it look like this is a jolly romp in the Hundred Acre Wood. Adorable wooden pieces peek at you from across the table while vibrant colors and charming animals appear on all the cards.

This is a filthy lie, designed to trick your family into playing a deeply political and opinionated war game.

(Cole Werhle, designer, “A Defense of Kingmaking”)

Root was initially inspired by an audiobook version of T.H. White’s “The Sword in the Stone”, specifically the droning speech of the Monarch of the Moat:

quote:

”There is nothing,” said the Monarch, “except the power which you pretend to seek: power to grind and power to digest, power to seek and power to find, power to await and power to claim, all power and pitilessness springing from the nape of the neck...

Love is a trick played on us by the forces of evolution. Pleasure is the bait laid down by the same. There is only power. Power is of the individual mind, but the mind's power is not enough. Power of the body decides everything in the end, and only Might is Right. Now I think it is time that you should go away, young master, for I find this conversation uninteresting and exhausting. I think you ought to go away really almost at once, in case my disillusioned mouth should suddenly determine to introduce you to my great gills, which have teeth in them also. Yes, I really think you might be wise to go away this moment. Indeed, I think you ought to put your back into it. And so, a long farewell to all my greatness."

Root attempts to follow on from “The Sword in the Stone” by being a political Aesop, using the medium of cute animals to express opinions of power and how it is wielded. The game’s pieces are a lowest common denominator of politics. You have:

Victory Points, a measure of how legitimate your faction has been (first to 30 wins)

Warriors that represent critters that are willing to fight

Buildings and Tokens that represent a faction’s interests

And a hand of Cards that represent locals you can use in your cause.

In all, Root has a rather bleak view of politics, where legitimacy can always be gained through violence (destroying buildings and tokens gives you points), and for most factions violence is completely unavoidable. Might makes Right, after all.

I’ve been tapping at this post for a bit in my downtime so I’ll limit the scope of the first entry on the Marquise De Cat, just so I can have something to spark some discussion.

The Marquise is central to the “lore” of the game, though you can set up the board without her units. As a cat she is an invasive species, and she has just recently conquered the forest. As a representation of an imperial state, she starts out with weak control of every space on the board. Root argues that an Empire gains legitimacy by building infrastructure, so the Marquise gets points by building buildings. To that end the Marquise needs lumber from chopping down the forest, and has to rabidly protect that lumber from other factions since it represents a ton of points if your opponents demolish your lumber camps.

If Root has anything good to say about empires it’s that they are focused on employing as many people as possible, with the caveat that you’re literally “Overworking” people by discarding their cards to create more wood, consuming them the way you do lumber. It’s all about resource extraction, and people are a resource. At least the army gets healthcare…

There’s a lot more to each of the factions, and I want to go over the Woodland Alliance and their popular revolution next.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Huh, I had always read the Underground Duchy of the moles as a more explicit parody of American intervionism, with tunnels=airports and an allergy to responsibility when things went bad with the “Price of Failure” rule.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

MonsieurChoc posted:

Right I got Root on steam, but barely played it. I should play it more.

The first expansion is available, with the Lizard Cult, the Riverfolk Company, and three new vagabonds.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Sodomy Hussein posted:

My Animal Farm gaming is limited to Armello, looks like I have another one to pick up.

(Armello is mostly just Game of Thrones-tier politics in terms of complexity, or lack thereof).

You’d most easily slip into the role of the Vagabond, who plays an RPG while everyone else is playing Risk.

(Beat up the beaver at every opportunity, or this WILL happen).

There’s not much in the way of political commentary going on with the Vagabond, whichever class you pick is going to be an individual puttering around the forest scoring a few points here and there until you’re strong enough to go on a muderhobo rampage. Your strength is determined by the number of Items you have such as boots and swords, which exist in ruins and can be created by you or the other players for a VP reward. If someone makes an item you can wander over to their territory and forcibly take the item by giving them a card. This improves your relationship with the common folk of that faction, and eventually you can get chummy enough that you can move an opponent’s soldiers with you when you move!

The most incisive commentary in the vagabonds’ design is that other people can only really interact with you (an individual) with violence. Anything they do that helps you out is usually incidental (and smart players will do everything in their power to slow you down)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I'm not saying that I'm allergic to sociopolitical gaming, just that Armello to my reading is fairly simple as far as messaging.

Oh! Oh I didn’t mean that, just that like Armarello, the Vagabond is all about questing and leveling up. Though those methods of point scoring are less efficient than murder about halfway through.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Hoo boy, Archipelago is an electrifying mess of a game. It’s Catan redesigned by an adderall addict. But it’s hard to hate because despite its obvious shortcomings because at the very least the designer has done some introspection into how colonization impacts the people colonized, and the game forces the players to consider the island chain’s needs or everyone can lose outright.

Archipelago forms a nice counterpoint to Spirit Island, which is just as bright and colorful with a near identical setting, but instead you play an island spirit that is driving the settlers back into the ocean.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Sarcastr0 posted:

Just make them another color..not red. Not yellow. Green, maybe?

Heck, I'll just raid my copy of Agricola and use sheep.

That’s not gonna work though, you still bring those brown discs in on ships, you still bid on the contents of those ships, and those discs are still sent to sugar, coffee, and indigo plantations. Puerto Rico is so good precisely because it’s mechanics and its setting are so closely linked- it’s a game about developing an island after all. But its… uncritical? bashful? it certainly whitewashes that history and the rulebook tries to swerve to say “oh no these aren’t slaves, you’re buying up citizens

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Reveilled posted:

To maybe put this more succinctly, I don't think you can make a game that adequately critiques colonialism while simultaneously having the player be the colonialist.

It may fail the definition of “Adequate” but John Company and An Infamous Traffic (by the designer of Root) make their satire/critique a little more obvious by talking a step backwards into colonialist societies. You’re not the invisible hand of Capital trying to do A Colonialism the best to get the most points: you’re a family patriarch trying to use the revenue from the colonies to throw opulent weddings & own the fanciest hats.

E: John Company in particular argues that the East India Trading Company becoming a military operation lead to a death spiral for the Company, but people vigorously kept it going because looting the princes of India made for colossal individual profit.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 6, 2021

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

fr0id posted:

This is why the board game Oath is secretly the best historical war game.

:hist101: The State is overthrown, long live the State :hist101:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Oath is kinda hard to discuss in this thread since it’s such a sandbox it manages to avoid any overt political statements (except maybe that history is necessarily focused on state-building & destruction, and that individuals can only be defined as being in-state or outside the state)

I did want to continue the Root Chat though, by going over the politics of the Woodland Alliance.

Oath is kinda hard to discuss in this thread since it’s such a sandbox it manages to avoid any overt political statements (except maybe that history is necessarily focused on state-building & destruction, and that individuals can only be defined as being in-state or outside the state)

I did want to continue the Root Chat though, by going over the politics of the Woodland Alliance.

The Woodland Alliance represents a popular revolution in the forest, a revolution against all the warmongers that seek to do violence against the rabbits, mice, and foxes.

It executes this revolution with extreme violence.

Mostly though, the WA gains “legitimacy” (victory points) through the spreading of sympathy tokens by spending a secondary hand of cards called “supporters”. Sympathetic clearings grab cards from your opponent’s hands and turn them into Supporters when they move troops into a clearing or attacking the sympathy token itself. Sympathy is important, since those are the only places you can have Revolts; where you put up the tiny guillotines and burn all enemy infrastructure to the ground and place an alliance base on the ashes.

It’s only after you have a base out that you gain access to the WA’s military actions, and the more explicit assumptions about how popular revolts work are laid out. The WA has 10 warriors, compared to the 20-25 of the militant factions. A good portion of THOSE get recruited as Officers, so you often only get 7-4 on the board to protect your bases. Your sympathy tokens get very difficult to place, so you quickly have to send out warriors to Organize the uneducated. And like all revolutionaries you participate in Guerilla warfare, where you deal the bigger number rolled on defense AND attack.

So ultimately Root argues that revolutions require violence to be done to people in order to start up, and require violence to maintain themselves. They fail when their army becomes top-heavy with aspiring leaders, and when their bases of support are attacked directly.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Didn’t mean to so thoroughly kill this thread. Did want to share Space Biff’s latest article about “Greenwashing”, his term for replacing real historical agents with Lovecraft aliens.

https://spacebiff.com/2021/08/12/greenwashing-history/#more-20510

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I'd just assumed it was a generic zombie game. Wow.

“Well you see the zombie is wearing a top hat, so obviously they’re not indigenous people”

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

And initially, the intent was to have a tilted balance of cards, with mouse>rabbit>fox>bird, but it was changed to a nearly even split through testing.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Comstar posted:

Are all the various sides balanced in that can all win, or are some easier to win than others?

Nah, there’s definitely still some unbalanced factions there: the Woodland Alliance and the Eyrie are top-tier point earners, while the Lizard Cult and the Corvid Conspiracy are quite bad at scoring points. I’ve seen most of the factions win so it’s not impossible, but it’s not a finely balanced game for sure.

The other expansion races are

Moles: Imperialist assholes that think invading the forest is a fun side-project

Crows: Mafia-terrorists. Kinda the most garbled faction because the designers gave up on the idea of the crows being a secret police that clogs up people’s hands with useless cards.

Badgers: Crusaders/Conquistadors that are trying to find holy relics

Rats: Fascists. They get points for clearing out spaces of all but their own rats. There is also a giant rat who makes all of da rules.

E: it’s a shame because the Lizards felt like the most opinionated but weakest faction in the game. As far as I can tell the intention was for them to win via Dominance rather than points (rule a majority of an ethnic group), but getting to the threshold where that’s an option is difficult enough on its own.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 18, 2021

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Not tabletop games, but why do so many JRPGs have you fight & dethrone God?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Since Root got mentioned again, I’ll go ahead and post this excellent ongoing series about the game as viewed through the lens of Foucault and bio-politics

Part 1 introduces Foucault and puts forward the idea that the suited cards represent citizens within each faction

Part 2 discusses Power and theorizes a new timeline of events in the background of Root

Part 3 is still only on Patreon, but it finally dives into the Marquis de Cat and the Woodland Alliance: what they represent and how well they represent it. I’ll quote it without pictures here

quote:

Foucault in the Woodland, Part Three: Devouring Your Children

It was the Genevan journalist Jacques Mallet du Pan who wrote the famous phrase, “Like Saturn, the Revolution devours its children.” Writing in 1793, the year of King Louis XVI’s execution and the establishment of the First French Republic, du Pan was a proponent of the juste milieu, a “middle way” between autocratic and republican impulses. Considered both hopelessly naïve and tragically Cassandran, he died in exile in 1800, having watched his adoptive country pass through the Reign of Terror and into the hands of Napoleon Bonaparte.

Over the past two installments, we’ve investigated how Cole Wehrle’s Root leverages the philosophies of Michel Foucault to tell a fable about power and control. Today, we’re putting those tools to use.

Industry and Opportunity: The Marquise de Cat

When Root opens, the Marquise de Cat is the closest thing the woodland has to a ruler. Unlike the spotty presence of the other factions, her cats are spread across nearly the entire map. Their outward appearance is sinister, with glowering eyes and knowing smirks. But appearances can be deceiving, and our first test is to avoid assuming that they're the story's villains.

Last time, I argued that the Marquise may represent a Napoleonic tyrant: self-interested and jealous of competition, but also obsessed with fulfilling the modernizing promise of the revolution that enabled her rise to power. Remember, each faction’s “values” are reflected by their approach to victory. In addition to the game’s shared methods (craftsmanship/commerce and the destruction of opposing tokens), the Marquise’s goals are industrial. Her long shadow is not only a sign of her oppressive tendencies, but also an economic necessity: she requires empty building sites and large supplies of timber to continue her expansion.

From a pastoral perspective, the Marquise’s sawmills, workshops, and recruiters are an encroachment. For a country with a developing middle class, they’re signs of economic stability. The first two structures aren’t inherently oppressive; they’re the prospect of “honest work” for the woodland’s populace, although given the early history of industrial development in Europe one shudders to consider the working hours and scant labor rights of the small folk ushered from their farms to the mills.

The interactions between the Marquise and her subjects are depicted, as we discussed in the first part, by how she deploys the cards that represent the small folk of the woodland. Historically, the appearance of a middle class is a double-edged sword, both offering economic opportunities and beginning to demand limits on the actions of its government. As any Marquise player can tell you, her principal limitation is that she can only take three actions per round. She increases these actions by playing bird cards, the game’s wild suit. This “middle class” extends what she can accomplish each turn, but it must be cultivated.

How does she cultivate a middle class? Through biopower! Like every other faction, the Marquise wants to draw as many cards as possible. In more thematic terms, she’s vying for the support of the woodland’s population. Without that support, she’ll crumble. Her army may be staffed by fellow cats, but they’re supported by the small folk in field hospitals, as guides for ambushes, sources of labor and extra actions, and for the many opportunities offered by each of the game’s cards.

Except this is where things get dark. To keep the cards coming in, the Marquise’s most reliable tool is recruiting stations. These aren’t directly violent; at no point is the Marquise required to actually recruit troops. Discursively, however, the threat of potential violence is enough to prompt some of the population to collaborate with her regime. For a lucky few, that will be as the middle class — those action-giving wild cards. Some will be used as auxiliaries or craftsmen. For many more, they’ll be churned through the Marquise’s sawmills via the overwork action, discarded, both in gameplay terms and as the organic components of the mills, to generate extra wood for construction.

I’ll spell it out. Through the Marquise, Wehrle has codified the rise of the capitalist bourgeoisie. The bourgeoisie would prefer to believe they accomplished their bootstrapping on their own, but their economic desirability to the ruling regime led that regime to use incentives — in this case, the dual incentives of protection and reprisal — to encourage participation and to shut out the sources of labor who are doing the actual day-to-day work in the mills. From a distance, it’s a clean process. Opportunity! Mobility! Productivity! It’s only upon closer inspection that you notice the thousands of hands supporting the hundreds who moved up in the woodland.

What happens when enough people notice? Surely a whole bunch of good.

A Great Change: The Woodland Alliance

Hey, I guess we were right for once, because surely the Woodland Alliance is the good team. Just look at those adorable faces. Aww!

For much of its appearance, the Woodland Alliance exists to prove Foucault’s maxims about how power is everywhere and that it’s discursive rather than coercive. When the game begins, they aren’t even on the map. Not formally, anyway. On a certain level, perhaps they’re present through the icons that identify which breed of small folk inhabits any given clearing. Because the Woodland Alliance is of the people, by the people, for the people!

That’s what they’d like you to believe, anyway. One of the limitations of any fable is that in the real world the wolves in sheep’s clothing aren’t literal wolves stitched into woolen costumes. This makes it especially tempting to take the Woodland Alliance at face value. Every other faction is comprised of cats and moles and lizards. Only the Woodland Alliance is staffed by the same species that get pushed around by everyone else.

Unless we’re talking about the small folk working in the sawmills when they get burned to cinders by an Alliance revolt. But we’re getting ahead of ourselves. For now, let’s accept that the Woodland Alliance believes they’re “of the people,” but like every other faction warring over these clearings, the reality is significantly more complicated.

Okay, discursive power. As I wrote earlier, the Woodland Alliance doesn’t even begin on the map, and it’ll be a while before they appear in force at all. They aren’t exactly punching their oppressors in the snouts. In their earliest incarnation, they’re limited to sympathy tokens. These are broad representations: laborers muttering grievances, cheap leaflets fluttering through a clearing, political cartoons of the Marquise picking her teeth with a mouse’s femur, women gossiping about not having enough bread to feed their children. They might seem like a small thing, but these tokens are pesky. Whenever another faction marches into a sympathetic clearing, it only seems to confirm what everybody is muttering about, regardless of whether the troops are here to suppress dissent or passing through on their way to somewhere else. This forces a card from the marching player’s hand into the Alliance’s pool of supporters. Like forbidding assembly or trashing an independent press, attacking a sympathy token is possible, but in the moment before it’s squelched it also steals a card. That’s the thing about Foucauldian notions of power: it’s slippery stuff, and you’re liable to lose it whenever you tighten your grasp.

Of course, this is limiting of the Woodland Alliance as well. It wants supporters, so it thrives on intrusion and abuse, but the cards in its supporter pool can’t be used for their usual bonuses or crafting. There’s a gulf between sharing a grievance with the population and holding actual political sway over them. Even trickier, the Alliance’s supporter pool is severely limited unless it has a base on the map.

In theory it’s possible for the Alliance to go on like this indefinitely, living on outrage and pamphleteering. But if its oppressors have any wits about them, they’ll be proactive enough about removing sympathy that the Alliance won’t be able to place the tokens that earn the big points; it will forever remain one more student revolutionary cell that never makes the leap from the dormitory to the public square. That’s where revolt comes in. If the Alliance has a sympathy token in a clearing and enough matching supporters, it can unleash a great change. All its enemies are removed in a single stroke. The Alliance sets up a base of operations and equips troops for battle — and to export the revolution. This latter option transforms the Woodland Alliance from a theoretical threat to a clear and present danger to its neighbors. In clearings where sympathy has struggled to take root, the Alliance can now march a warrior into enemy territory and organize a sympathy token outright.

That’s its prescribed arc, an extended illustration of how discursive power becomes tangible. The Woodland Alliance is about controlling a conversation until its words become a fist. Without someone to stitch the disparate threads together, that’s all they would stay — threads. Some bellyaching. Sore tummies. Halfhearted talk about how things should be better. If the Marquise has her way, she might even persuade one group that they’re better than the others. All the better for letting them forget that they both labor under the same taskmaster. Narrating a shared cause is the first work of the revolutionary.

Oppressor and Oppressed

Today’s study has been limited to these two factions because they’re Root’s most archetypal. The Marquise de Cat plays the role of oppressor, the Woodland Alliance the organized oppressed. Their interplay illustrates a Foucauldian understanding of power. Rather than functioning as two equivalent factions trading geography, à la Risk and its many descendants, their approach to power is depicted as a conversation held across two different languages. The Marquise’s language is class division, the threat of violence, and eventually real violence. The Woodland Alliance’s language is class unification, curated outrage, and eventually an unstoppable uprising.

Every so often I’ll meet somebody who can’t or won’t overlook the ugliness that takes place beneath a wargame’s resolution; say, the atrocities that appear on every single card in Twilight Struggle or one of the volumes of the COIN Series. By rewriting these atrocities in the language and imagery of fable, Wehrle degausses that resolution even further. One can make-believe that the inhabitants of the Marquise’s sawmills and workshops aren’t staffed with children, or that they’re safely evacuated before the Woodland Alliance puts them to the torch. That despite the blood frenzy of the moment, the line between forced laborer, reluctant collaborator, and enthusiastic participant is clearly drawn.

Root doesn’t insist on a confrontation with reality. That’s one of its strengths. But we should note Wehrle’s ludic commentary on the factions at hand. For all her abuses, the Marquise is concerned with expansion, construction, and even, to some degree, prosperity. Her actions are focused on making. By contrast, the ideal outcome of the Woodland Alliance’s actions is unmaking.

This competition between making and unmaking forces shouldn’t be mistaken for “good” versus “bad.” Recall our discussion of biopower, and how it uses “additive” rather than “deductive” control. The Woodland Alliance likely isn’t as pure as it would like us to think, and periodically produces its own Reigns of Terror. But its destructive tendencies are also characterized as destructive of injustice and inequality. While the Marquise is busy creating new industries and opportunities, her use of biopower illustrates the wariness Foucault felt toward government incentives and oversight. Her efforts are as persuasive in nature as the Alliance’s. But they rely on persuading one class that they deserve to benefit at the expense of all others — and keeping her claws visibly sharpened if they don’t go along.

In other words, the political situation in Root isn’t as simple as “Marquise bad, Alliance good,” but neither is it as solipsistic as “everyone is as bad as everyone else.” Rather, Wehrle presents a textured portrayal, one where oppressive regimes may produce good outcomes for a portion of their citizenry and violet uprisings run the risk of devouring their children in the pursuit of liberty. In both cases, by looking at how the game’s factions interact with the broader population, we see how Wehrle’s understanding of power is Foucauldian in nature: it's volatile, discursive, and defies simple characterization.

Thank goodness, then, that next time we’ll be tackling a much more straightforward topic: sex.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

citybeatnik posted:

Jumping multiple pages back, but in at least one setting if you didn't worship any of the gods at all you ended up turned into a brick when you died so you could be placed in a wall with your other faithless fellows.

Apparently that was set up by the forgotten realms version of the Reaper, a former human turned thaumaturge and the crummy kind of Malevolent Death instead of the more modern sympathetic/overworked Death.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Josef bugman posted:

What SlothfulCobra mentioned in their last paragraph is, in effect, the God Learners. A collective of Sorcerers who attempted to fully understand the Gods by fitting them into categories and saying "they are all the same" whilst trying to grab any power they could from them.

And apparently the Godlearner’s belief system was pretty close to totally correct, as they had a ridiculous amount of power, nearly manifested a mechanical Clanking God, and had to be destroyed by an alliance of pantheons.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Josef bugman posted:

Not exactly. You see the God learners represent Imperialism, so they expanded too much and collapsed and were not "correct" just because they were powerful. They tried to switch too grain goddesses who possessed the same runes to "prove" there was no difference. When they did Millet wouldn't grow for one half of the swappers, and for the other marriages would not last longer than a year. It was an understanding based on flattening all culture to serve the ends of the dominant one and, as always, it failed because it did not appreciate or understand, it assigned.

Right but the ability to extract and relocate the gods themselves, or summoning up long forgotten ones seems to imply they have a deeper understanding of metaphysics than anyone, and only the Lunar Empire is anywhere close to attempting similar feats.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Still gotta give major respect to Eberron for not having an active pantheon and sealed off from all the other DnD cosmologies.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

And of course writing in a group that has stolen everything it owns as a cultural habit is a little eyebrow raising without the Down syndrome connection

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Tibalt posted:

Yeah, generally it was viewed as missing the point/joke of Orks - they're an entire species of the most perfect warrior predators, Arsenal Fans. The reality of an Ork invasion would be as terrifying and miserable for the civilian population as an Eldar, Imperial, or Chaos invasion.

But that's not the point of Orks. They exist as a source of levity in the setting and as the perfect enemy to fight (but with more personality and flair than the other perfect enemies, Tyranids). Focusing on the logistics and barbarity of the Beast just undercuts the aspects of Orks that differentiate them from any other Evil Aliens.

Edit: And I'll point out that WH40K is for the most part entirely uninterested in dealing with the reality of war on any front. Massive piles of bodies exist merely for our characters to stand upon, and nothing more.

I still wanna know what the Krorks were like, and the currently focused on Octarius War is giving us another glimpse at what large organizations of Orks are like.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

War and Pieces posted:

This is only if you ignore some of the more out there bits of the fluff like the Star Child or the Sensei (Call me a Grog if you must). It's completely reasonable for someone within the universe to make the faith claim that this was Just As Planned. Z

Have the sensei appeared at all past The Lost & The Damned?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Archonex posted:

Do they have trikes again? Because gently caress yes if so. :allears:

Unknown as of yet, holding out hope for new SKREEEECH templates.

Though from what we’ve seen of the squats so far (rebranded as the Leagues of Votann) they’re going to be a glimpse into what people could have been without the Imperium or the Mechanicus. Kinda want to see these guys expose the lie that “oh we HAVE to live in a theocratic fascist hell to survive this galaxy” when you can look over there and see a bunch of short guys getting along fine without it.

On the other hand, the squats have secret giant computer Zardozzes they revere, so who knows how progressive they’ll actually be.

E: vv It was a double-bluff vv

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 25, 2022

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Apparently one of the major contributing factors to the heresy has become the fact that some of the crusading armies that conquered the galaxy submitted shoddy paperwork (or often no paperwork) which led the government on Earth to overestimate all the resources and place undue tax burdens on most planets.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Archonex posted:

Fascists actually didn't make the trains run on time and all that jazz, y'know?

The Squats can, though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usJRU4djnrE

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

It’s been a minute since I’ve written about Root, and since fascism has been mentioned I may as well bring up the faction that best depicts the ideology, The Lord of the Hundreds.

You’re the true voice of this Woodland. Dissenters will burn

So the Lord of the Hundreds (LotH for short) and the other faction added in the Marauders expansion arose from a design problem. The Vagabond, the guy playing an RPG rather than an army game was overtuned; able to become quite powerful and score quite quickly while the other factions are not rewarded for fighting them. The Vagabond has received numerous nerfs over time to his ability to score points by battling and more factions in the game means more opportunities to leave the vagabond out entirely. But this creates a problem since items, ruins and forests are a core part of the game that are either not important or not interactive when the Vagabond isn’t around.

Enter the LotH, a faction initially designed to have lots of warriors and interact with items and ruins.

The LotH represents a pretty classical view of populist fascism, with a strongman Warlord piece (the warrior on the left with a flag) that can only be defeated by battling it who has an ever-shifting set of moods. Even then defeat isn’t permanent, as new warrior is able to take the reins on the next turn. The torch & pitchfork tokens represent Mobs, who burn down any non-Rat buildings or tokens in a clearing every morning, then spread randomly to adjacent clearings. They even remove Ruins, which presumably captures a disregard for history outside of the LotH’s genocidal project. And genocide is what’s happening here, as the Rats score Victory Points and gain legitimacy by making sure that the clearings they own are free of opponent’s pieces.

Their gameplay revolves around the Warlord piece, who recruits warriors to himself, makes massive marches around the table, and grows in ability as he gains items. Gaining items though has the trade off of locking away some of his Moods.

The interplay between cards and items and the LotH is an interesting one though, since it tips Cole’s hand. The LotH has incredibly poor card draw, relying on a specific Mood to ever draw more than one card. In Root’s political language this means the Warlord is actually not great at recruiting “common folk” to his cause, despite getting a constant stream of free warriors and mobs each turn. And the way he interacts with items, choosing to either take the points or the item itself, implies a greedier relationship with this mechanic than other factions. Only the Warlord keeps the wealth created by his horde, and he’s capable of looting more from the opposing factions.

So we know who the Warlord is. He’s Hitler, Mussolini, Duerte, Trump. He’s every pompous tinpot dictator that makes a showy display of power, wealth, and chauvinism; and is rewarded with unwavering support by what his opponents see as a horde of mindless sycophants.

But if that’s who the Warlord is… then who are the Rats? Are they an invading army seeking lebensraum? Maybe. But the mobs incited by the LotH can pop up anywhere in the forest, and the rats can be recruited from any clearing the Warlord walks through. Are they the lumpenprole? A group that’s always been in the Woodland, but one that ignores politics until called to unadulterated violence? Did the Rats silently resent their mouse and rabbit neighbors until they were given permission to slaughter them?

Do such people live around us too?

I don’t like to think about it.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

The craziest part is the designers didn’t discover these hyper-aggressive strategies before the public beta testing, and had to nerf how many points they got for fighting people multiple times. It was so bad initially that even fighting a roided out Vagabond scored them points outside the vagabonds’ turn.

Would have loved to see how the designers played the game in private playtesting, the other ways the Vagabond can score points such as completing quests or becoming allies with another faction are such uphill struggles in comparison.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Piell posted:

When you wear it on a necklace or whatever its literally just the letter t, an axe is cooler

But that's just a capital T. Same goes for hammers

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

mossyfisk posted:

A biblical game should obviously be based on RuneQuest.

The Last Supper would only be improved by the presence of talking ducks

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Space Biff writing on John Company 2e. I don’t think many other games take this perspective on colonialism, about how pillage turns into tea parties. Plus, it’s fun to play in light of the Musk buyout of Twitter, with how one bad actor can wreck a massive company with terrifying speed.

E: if I get time after Thanksgiving I want to do a write up on how this game used it’s art budget. There’s deliberate choices on when/where to use realistic portraiture, caricature, historical art and created pieces, and a brief story of how the game had to censor itself in order to be produced in China (Opium had to be replaced with generic Export graphics)

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 24, 2022

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Tangential, but the D&D/Warmahordes/Shadowrun stuff brings it to mind, when did Dragons make the change from “big evil lizard” to “suave greed elementals, basically demigods”? The recent Fizban’s Treasury book has this HARD, with a preamble that says “oh yeah most individual dragons exist simultaneously in all multiverses fyi”

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Fair, I’m a bit off base when you consider eastern myths. My headspace was with the Lyndwurm, Beowulf, Fafnir, Nidhogg examples of Dragons as greedy creatures that could talk but were dangerous more for their size than their political acumen

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 14, 2022

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Ragnar34 posted:

And then there's that bit in the rulebook of a board game set in the cold war where you determine who goes first by who was last kidnapped by the KGB or CIA. Practical, functional game rules are overrated.

Tiebreakers are always a good spot to have fun.

Galaxy Trucker

Arboretum

Pax Pamir 2e

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

https://youtu.be/IEUqLL8J4gI

I asked this question up-thread, and this is a well researched video essay about why you’re always killing god in jrpgs

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Randalor posted:

I can't watch the video yet because I'm at work, but how much of the reasons are "Because God is a dick and needs to be punched in the mouth"?

I’m still working my way through it, but it starts out describing eastern religious tropes, the cultivation of immortality by mortals, and how Japanese religious organizations accrued political and military power, which caused later military governments to suppress those religions and claiming a divine right to do so.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Halloween Jack posted:

Sephiroth's final form and not Kefka's? Odd.

Spoiler for the video: its because the god is capitalism