Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

withak posted:

That guy was janitor or IT drone, right?

they prefer the term Operator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

withak posted:

That guy was janitor or IT drone, right?

janitors are important, but only dorks strap up to do battle with the plumbing

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
That Renton 18 year old that killed 3 kids and a mom:
https://x.com/JeremyHarrisTV/status/1771675642335052070?s=20

quote:

In one of those cases, he was going more than 20 mph over the speed limit when he T-boned another car in an uncontrolled intersection. Afterward, he reportedly made a statement, saying something like "it was an open straight road, so I gave it some gas" and that he was going too fast to avoid the crash, the detective wrote.

err has issued a correction as of 03:45 on Mar 24, 2024

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Crazy that he's being charged for this. Who among us would not give it some gas on an open straight road?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

fondly recalling an evergreen post of mine from a few years back

God Hole posted:

accidentally armed a nation of sociopaths with the car from Death Proof

e: in response to this bitch

:nms:

God Hole has issued a correction as of 04:56 on Mar 24, 2024

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

this guys dad is gonna beef it on a dirt bike within six months

We've waited long, you and I, but within the week, this guys dad is gonna beef it on a dirt bike!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

err posted:

quote:

The investigation has revealed that the defendant purchased this vehicle, a 2015 Audi A4, a month before this collision. It is the third vehicle he has totaled in a crash involving speed in 11-months. On May 8, 2023, he totaled his car in similar circumstances plowing into the rear quarter panel of car resulting in massive damage but no injuries.... On January 23, 2024, he totaled another vehicle, the other driver complained that he had not seen the defendant due to the defendant's speed. In both of those crashes, the defendant's parents were at the crash prior to the police.

I would really love to know who the gently caress this kid's parents are.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Ham Equity posted:

Lead-foot Larry and Calamity Jane

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Ham Equity posted:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
They should charge that guys parents the same way they did that school shooters parents did for giving him the loving gun.

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Bdelloid rotifer what are YOU doing in the car thread??

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

err posted:

"I was going too fast to avoid the crash" might as well be the permanent thread title. Or possibly alternating with "I was looking at my phone too much to avoid the building"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

God Hole posted:

fondly recalling an evergreen post of mine from a few years back

e: in response to this bitch

Well that's absolutely horrible.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

A lady here just got shot for merging

https://twitter.com/yrodriguezwtae/status/1771309126586429867

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

god drat, to hit the right arm of someone in the driver’s seat, while both of you are moving, without hitting anything else

he probably let off a bunch of rounds to get that though

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Should've remained at the scene and said it was an accident. Car Violence 101.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

khazar sansculotte posted:

Only in florida after firing a gun.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

khazar sansculotte posted:

"I feared for my life when I shot her, and fled because I was still afraid since she didn't die and I was too afraid to reload"

followed by "these questions make me scared, if you know what I mean..."

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Huge loving ship knocks out huge loving bridge. Police put up barriers to stop people driving onto the remains of the bridge.

Guess what happens next.

If you guessed people are loving stupid, you win a prize.

https://twitter.com/notbenfish/status/1772658195334418575

edit: Now without linking to nazi site:

https://i.imgur.com/icGtOKV.mp4

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Cars are outgrowing the nation's guardrail infrastructure (they plow right through them), and no one wants to take responsibility for it. Our total lack of political will or vision will probably leave us with a lazy, taxpayer-funded piecemeal overhaul to accommodate everyone's personal monster truck.

https://slate.com/business/2024/02/car-safety-guardrails-bloat-electric-vehicles.html

quote:

It’s a nightmare situation on a highway: Your car hits a patch of ice and starts to skid. Unable to regain control, you panic as you veer toward the roadway’s edge.

In emergencies like this, guardrails provide a failsafe. As explained in a federal memo, a guardrail will “deflect a vehicle back to the roadway [or] slow the vehicle down to a complete stop.” Your car will probably be damaged, but guardrails can prevent something much worse.

But some modern vehicles can instead smash through these guardrails, new research demonstrates, sending their passengers hurtling toward a ditch, cliff, or whatever is on the other side. The problem is that thousands of miles of guardrails installed alongside American highways were designed decades ago, when vehicles were much lighter than the behemoths that increasingly dominate the U.S. car market. And cars are only getting heavier: Bulkier electrified versions of big cars are poised to arrive in the years ahead. The risk of huge vehicles tearing through guardrails is yet another reason to expect American car bloat to augur an expensive, and dangerous, roadway future.

The new study comes from the University of Nebraska, which received funding from the U.S. Army to examine the impact of electric vehicles on guardrails. The university is a natural location for such research; its Midwest Roadside Safety Facility designed and tested the metal barriers known as the Midwest Guardrail System that are a familiar sight along American highways. The MGS is a beam with a dip running horizontally in the middle—if you think of a guardrail, you’re probably picturing one. “It’s the most frequently used guardrail system, because it’s the cheapest to install and maintain,” said University of Nebraska engineering professor Cody Stolle, noting that all 50 states use it.

The current version of MGS was developed to withstand cars weighing a maximum of 5,000 pounds, but many of today’s SUVs and trucks exceed that threshold. A Cadillac Escalade, for instance, now weighs over 6,200 pounds, and the latest model of the Ford F-150, the most popular vehicle in America, can tip the scales at almost 5,700 pounds. You don’t really want to hit a guardrail with a vehicle like that, but electrification can make things even dicier. Electric cars often weigh around 30 percent more than a gas-powered counterpart, because big vehicles require enormous batteries to propel them hundreds of miles between charges. The goliath-like GMC Hummer EV weighs a staggering 9,083 pounds, 2 tons more than a gas-guzzling H3.

In their study, the University of Nebraska researchers wanted to see whether guardrails can withstand a collision with a big, modern EV. Their answer: No.

Last October, the researchers directed a passengerless 2022 Rivian R1T truck weighing around 7,000 pounds toward an MGS guardrail at 62 mph and a 25-degree angle, reflecting common highway crash conditions. The Rivian demolished the guardrail, passing through it before striking a concrete barrier that the researchers had installed as a backstop.

The silver lining, Stolle told me, was that the Rivian seemed capable of protecting passengers in that test. “The damage to the interior of the vehicle was very low,” he said, “and the occupant risk in that scenario would not be cause for alarm.” But he noted that in the real world, a guardrail is much more likely to be placed next to a steep dropoff than a concrete barrier. If a car penetrates a guardrail and tumbles down an incline, passengers would face far greater danger.

It’s worth highlighting that this study isn’t really about the merits of EVs. After all, you can buy an EV that weighs less than 5,000 pounds. You just can’t electrify your favorite already-large car—or even buy a hulking gas-powered car—and expect guardrails to work as intended. “Weight is a universal problem; it is not unique to electric vehicles,” Stolle said. “We have similar concerns about the compatibility of the biggest gas-powered cars with our guardrail system.” The 6,700-pound Chevrolet Silverado 1500 already weighs too much, based on the result from this research, and the 8,500-pound Silverado EV weighs even more.

A caveat: This is only one study, using a single truck. Still, its implications are troubling, to say the least. As the average American car grows larger, today’s guardrails could fail in more crashes, creating a new highway hazard and worsening an already dire road safety crisis.

Ensuring that tomorrow’s cars do not slam through metal barriers and fly off the highway would require a wholesale upgrade of the nation’s guardrail installations, which Stolle estimated to cover at least 50,000 miles. Assuming a materials cost of $30 per foot, replacing all MGS guardrails could easily hit $8 billion, not including installation expenses that would drive the price tag much higher. (Retrofits could be less expensive, but Stolle said it’s too soon to know if they would be feasible.) To put that figure in perspective, $8 billion exceeds North Carolina’s entire annual transportation expenditures, and is almost six times Maryland’s transportation maintenance budget.

In a statement, a Federal Highway Administration spokesperson showed little interest in assuming responsibility for a future guardrail overhaul, saying that “states and local governments are responsible for properly selecting, installing, maintaining, and replacing roadside safety hardware, including guardrails,” and requesting that further questions be directed to them.

Who will ultimately foot the bill for reinforced guardrails? You, in all likelihood. There is ample precedent, since car bloat is already known to worsen a bevy of societal problems that range from pedestrian deaths to climate change to roadway erosion. Because the federal government has not imposed taxes to address those costs, all Americans bear the financial burdens of oversize vehicles—no matter how they travel.

Car bloat is not a uniquely American problem; SUV sales are rising around the world, notably in Europe. Places like France, Norway, and the District of Columbia have enacted policies that force owners of the biggest cars to pay fees that at least partially compensate for the costs imposed on everyone else (and potentially nudge consumers toward smaller, less damaging models). But Congress and the Department of Transportation have shown no signs of following suit. In the meantime, a prisoner’s dilemma is catalyzing the shift toward vehicular enormity, prodding even those who prefer a modest-size car to get a bigger one simply to avoid being at a disadvantage on the road.

Unless federal policymakers finally acknowledge car bloat’s dangers, the result will be a dirtier, deadlier, and more expensive transportation network. And a lot of busted guardrails, too.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

what will be the first consumer car to break the 10,000 lb barrier

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Cars are outgrowing the nation's guardrail infrastructure (they plow right through them), and no one wants to take responsibility for it. Our total lack of political will or vision will probably leave us with a lazy, taxpayer-funded piecemeal overhaul to accommodate everyone's personal monster truck.

https://slate.com/business/2024/02/car-safety-guardrails-bloat-electric-vehicles.html

Surely at this point one can just buy a light tank or IFV to compensate for their minuscule penis. An entry-level Wiesel weighs less than many of the trucks listed here.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

we must finally achieve man's dream of growing a bigger dick, or we will die from compensating

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

lmao these parking jobs

https://x.com/davidjacoby/status/1772392615012377026?s=20

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I would simply park in the garage that I paid good money for.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

nomad2020 posted:

They probably own too many cars for that

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
They should park their cars in the bin

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

nomad2020 posted:

Reminder of how normal people park:

quote:

Since we’re normal people and have stuff in our garage can only fit 1 car inside as well as my motorcycle. 2 in the drive way, And leaving one parked in front of our house on said 3-4 feet of roadway.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

each one of those houses is converted into 4 rental units and it only has one garage

mystes
May 31, 2006

BONGHITZ posted:

each one of those houses is converted into 4 rental units and it only has one garage
sounds like they need to increase the parking minimums

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
If they also paved over the small scrap of soil where grass is still allowed, they could fit more cars still.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

i like the idea of a garage UNDER the house... what if they built new garages OVER the houses, so the cars have somewhere to park?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i like the idea of a garage UNDER the house... what if they built new garages OVER the houses, so the cars have somewhere to park?

Whatever happened with that mechanical car garage that broke a year or two ago and nobody had been able to get their car out for months? That was funny

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Reminder of how normal people park:

sometimes I run by houses that have like 6 cars parked in their driveway and I'm like ??? are you having a party?? nope they're always there every day

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

BONGHITZ posted:

Let's be real, the garage was converted to a micro studio a few years ago too.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

my bony fealty posted:

sometimes I run by houses that have like 6 cars parked in their driveway and I'm like ??? are you having a party?? nope they're always there every day

its a mom and a dad with 4 children aged 16 to 28 and everybody has their own car

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

saw a bumblebee that got run over by a car somehow. time to destroyu them (cars)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Zodium posted:

saw a bumblebee that got run over by a car somehow. time to destroyu them (cars)

been a long time since I seen a bumble bee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Zodium posted:

:smith:

Smythe posted:

been a long time since I seen a bumble bee

:smith: