Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

car companies conspired to literally make public transportation hell to make people buy cars in the streetcar conspiracy, were caught, and the powers in charge just shrugged their shoulders and it’s the reason to this day we have the lovely bus systems we have

this is from many pages ago but it rules that car companies didn't even have to conspire to do this, all you need is for something like 15 percent of workers to start using cars and then any streetcar lane that isn't separated from car traffic will get bogged down, stuck behind drivers 'just running in for a minute' or waiting behind a car waiting for pedestrians to clear the intersection to make a right turn. cars are such voracious and inefficient users of space that they immediately make everything else worse if you don't build in serious protections against them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

actionjackson posted:

yeah cool btw our entire infrastructure is setup to require a car atm

this is exactly the problem that urgently needs fixing, yes

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Vomik posted:

how will i give my 12 greyhounds heat stroke on a bus

if i can't pile my 15 beautiful identical greyhounds into my car so we can go visit the woods, this whole 'ban cars' thing is a mess. and a waste.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Polo-Rican posted:

i'm pro bike lane when they're good, but do wonder how much safer sharrows are than... just... biking on the road and moving over when it's safe if a lot of cars want to pass

sharrows suck real bad

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2016/01...l%20protection.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Pryor on Fire posted:

I live where sharrows were invented and this is the first I'm hearing of them. That's what the arrows mean???!? :dafuq:

there was a thing here a few years back where this woman was driving a car and taking a video of a cyclist in front of her at the same time while complaining about how the cyclist wasn't supposed to be there. she was just mad that he was temporarily preventing her from speeding i think, but in addition to everything else - her talking about how he deserved to get hit by a car, clearly holding the phone and operating it while driving, etc - he was literally biking over a sharrow while she was ranting.

the absolute best case scenario for a sharrow isn't that it can actually protect anyone from anything, but it might serve to educate drivers that cyclists are allowed to be there.. and yet it didn't do that. loving useless. anyone who proposes installing sharrows anywhere in a place where cyclists actually need protection deserves to be tarred and feathered

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Sharrows are great because they are basically free to install and then you get to have a disingenuous sound-bite about how you installed 400,000miles of bike lanes or whatever.

like when you catch your city including 'signed bike routes' in their list of bike infra, and it just means that there's a sign up next to the road saying it's a bike route. cool, thanks, as this driver mashes me into a chunky paste i'll gesture vaguely in the direction of a sign with a little bicycle icon on it

it's cooler to think of sharrows as a kind of mystical invocation of a cycling deity, a painted totem propitiating the lord of bikes who may or may not intercede on your behalf.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

me pleading with cars not to kill me and my child on the way to pre-school

audience: this is amazing!

yeah, get back to me when you find the mom who duct-taped a handgun to each side of her handlebars to fire warning shots into the cars of dangerous drivers

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

what are these pictures of construction sites, which are cool as hell, doing in this thread about cars, which suck poo poo

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

It's for revenue generation under the guise of public safety just like everything is these days.

it's also kind of like a medieval catholic indulgence, where those who are able can simply pay their way out of having sinned. you might, of course, say that breaking the speed limit should get your car confiscated, placing you in limbo in our car-bound society, but thankfully you can simply pony up some cash and have your sins removed.

if you can't afford it then you can get stuck in a kind of hellish spiraling debt vortex, but don't worry about that as long as you have the $$$

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

lil poopendorfer posted:

WHats the deal w speed limits anyways, like everyone just decided that it's a suggestion and you can go up to 10mph over without getting a ticket

you make a road and because you have a fatal case of car-brain, you want it to be nice and straight and clear for drivers, and so you remove every obstacle and now they have the ideal driving environment

except ooops, oh poo poo, now that means that your neighborhood road is basically engineered for high speed driving and no one who lives on the street likes that

so okay, no problemo, just put up a sign saying that you aren't allowed to go 75 mph, even though the road is clearly designed for you to go that fast

except ooops, oh poo poo again, everyone is ignoring the sign because the road clearly tells them to go faster, and to enforce the 25 mph speed limit is basically like entrapment because the visual language of the street is way clearer than the speed limit that is, again, way lower than what you actually built out

so okay, no problemo again, just don't enforce the speed limit. give people a bonus 10 or 15 mph, and now at least the actual speed limit that you're enforcing isn't like a third of the design speed. it's all good, except of course that now everyone is going significantly faster than they should on a neighborhood street, and some people are still doing 50 or 60 and for the most part they get away with it and every now and then someone gets killed or mangled because of it. actually that happens pretty frequently. but at least cars go fast and drivers can go vroom vroom.

in conclusion, death to america

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The cops just make it a speed trap, so it's not like no one wins

here in dc every year AAA puts out a press release about how speed cameras racked up a million billion tickets and it's so unfair to drivers

except speed cameras cover like .01% of district roads by the foot, so you have to figure that racking up that many tickets with the vast majority of road space completely unmonitored is really indicative of the severity of endemic speeding here. but that's not the way car culture sees it; car culture sees it as an affront to the sacred right of the driver to endanger others

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

paul_soccer12 posted:

Not being able to see out the front of the car while driving will surely make cars safer :rolleyes:

the only safe car is a dead car

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Dolphin posted:

or crushed by a loving building being dropped on it

if you try driving into an urban or suburban area, your doors lock and seal and then everything inside the truck is incinerated

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

lobster shirt posted:

this but the truck is also incinerated

the truck will be ceremonially crushed into a tiny metal cube in front of cheering crowds

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Blockade posted:

Seems weird for them not to include mention of disabled people with conditions that keep them from driving

also, the number of people who are disabled as a result of loving car crashes! i have a cousin who will be in a wheelchair for the rest of his life and a former boss with a long-term traumatic brain injury caused by car crashes. cars chew people up and spit them out.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Suplex Liberace posted:

There will be no jail time

nah, he hosed up by violating the only rule that really matters for murderous drivers, which is 'don't be drunk when you do it'

short of filing a notarized statement saying you intend to kill someone with your car and then doing exactly that, drinking is the only thing that might actually get a reaction from the legal system

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

DC-based safe streets doofus Gordon Chaffin, who generally means well but isn't always very bright, got into an altercation with a drivist that reminds me why I generally don't bother with direct confrontation

https://twitter.com/GordonAChaffin/status/1456347125437112324

i guess he got the lane clear, but it turns out the guy has 10k in unpaid traffic tickets too and is still somehow allowed to drive. clearly the system works

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Confronting drivers in the US is a good way to get shot. Or run over.

yeah, even the most gentle request can elicit insane over the top fury, and touching someone's precious car makes a lot of people feel like they have cart blanche to respond however they see fit. definitely signs of a healthy society

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Boywhiz88 posted:

I’m a big fan of people saying it’s a race thing.. like no, rear end in a top hat! These people loving sucked!

yeah, I don't think the white privilege angle makes that much sense in this case. the driver is completely blocking a bike lane and reacts with with over the top fury when he gets called on it; that's lovely, toxic car culture on display. the driver asks the cyclist if he's a cop for trying to use his bike in a bike lane, but i have no doubt he would lean on the horn or pull off a punishment pass if he felt inconvenienced by a cyclist in front of him on the road.

all the people saying it was wrong to touch the car are perhaps right in that it's a move so likely to incite violence that you could consider it the wrong move, but that's all symptomatic of how skewed the terms of engagement are for drivers. a driver can hit and kill someone and it'll be considered an oopsie, but if you pat the trunk of their car it's a justification for lethal violence.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Cugel the Clever posted:

My biggest question is where the gently caress do these all go? Are there really that many scummy riders/shops/resellers that will buy bikes of dubious origin at the quantity we see being stolen?

i bet a lot of them are just sold on craigslist or facebook market or whatever as 'used,' too. it's not like anyone is asking for an original store receipt to prove the provenance of a used bike when they pick it up

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

dc just hit the same number of traffic deaths that we had for the entire year of 2020, with 6 weeks still to go. our department of transportation still keeps axing good projects and downgrading others and it's just amazing to me that our mayor is such a car-addled idiot that she doesn't get how popular this stuff is

we had a confirmation meeting for the new head of the district DOT and all the complaints about new bike lanes came from projects that were installed this year, like within the last few months. none of the projects of previous years still have loud detractors; this bikelash stuff has a half-life of roughly six months. ignore them and they go away, but instead she surrenders to them and we have this constant drumbeat of car crashes and dead children. loving cars and loving car culture

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

sat on my keys! posted:

is it still the case that DC can't even issue tickets to drivers with MD/VA plates from speed and red light cameras?

DC issues tickets but has no plan for dealing with unpaid tickets. you'll get your ticket in the mail but you're free to just put it in the trash or whatever. at an oversight meeting the other day they said there are over 500,000 vehicles eligible to be booted due to unpaid tickets but they have basically no resources allocated to actually finding and booting these cars and no reciprocity with md and va to stop their DMVs from renewing tags on vehicles with like 10,000 dollars in tickets, so...

the mayor was supposed to work with md and va to establish ticket reciprocity, and she reported that she tried and they didn't go for it, and then it turned out later that she hadn't even tried. she sucks so bad

edit- i'd say they should just start selling the ticket amounts to collections agencies. it would unleash a horrible swarm of repo men and never-ending harassment in md and va, and normally I would say this is bad but given how stupendously loving psychotic they're driving in DC these days i don't really care

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

butlerian jihad, but for cars instead of thinking machines

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

pointsofdata posted:

Alternatively, more Americans died in September 2001 from road traffic accidents than terrorism

crash not accident, my friend

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Cugel the Clever posted:

I do hope whoever came up with the idea of car crashes being "accidents" died in excruciating pain. Just one more thing that helps drivers justify going full sociopath behind the wheel and being given the benefit of the doubt when they murder someone.

"I was driving 20 over the limit and texting when I pulverized those children in the school zone crosswalk, woops, what a funny accident!"

'just had a little ooopsie where i was going so fast and texting so hard that i hit a baby stroller with my colossal suv and basically evaporated the baby. it left behind a little shadow on the pavement like after an atom bomb. well anyways that was an accident'

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/1463525634919964672

armed driver intentionally hits someone else, later gets into a shootout with them and dies. speaking of platonic scams, here's the platonic ideal of an american story

i was going to say it's amazing that a pregnant woman - even one with terminal car brain - would instigate a pointless death battle like this, but looking at it from her perspective she was always the one wielding lethal force- in her car, where she could kill a motorcyclist with impunity, and then later with a gun, where she could stand her ground and murder someone. it just turns out the motorcyclist was a better shot

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Can't pull the story up right now, but there was a whole series of reports on alleged racial imbalance in DC's camera enforcement, citing that the presence of cameras was disproportionately higher in poor black neighborhoods. But then looking at the actual data showed the majority of the tickets went to white drivers from the 'burbs recklessly racing through black neighborhoods (and a significant number of black residents weren't car owners, anyways).

also the wards with the highest number of deaths get the highest concentration of cameras, which is fairly sensible... but you still have people saying 'they put cameras where they can get away with them,' like it's a conspiracy by the district government to, i don't know, nefariously extract camera money from people who can't afford it for reasons.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

PeterCat posted:

Traffic cameras are a grift designed to make money for companies that lease them to the municipalities.

Functionally they're no different than those small towns who drop the speed limit on the highway within their city limits to catch out of towners.

jesus christ, just stop speeding

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Just follow the law and stop trying to abolish cops, jesus christ.

if you think that's really equivalent then i don't think you get why cops are bad, and i know you don't know why speeding is bad

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

this is the way. speed limits on a sign are pointless and rely on enforcement (read: police) to be "effective", and even then, effective just means that it's generating revenue for the state (also lol at this cspam thread appealing to the authorities to slow cars down. gently caress the police). proper road design forces drivers to drive slowly and doesn't rely on hopes and dreams that drivers read the sign and obey. it also works on older cars which things like "cars should have speed governors on them" doesn't. what about pre-drive-by-wire? pre-obd2 ecus? simply saying "ban them" is fun in this thread but you're dreaming if you think it'll ever happen in real life. effective road design slowing drivers without the use of artificial speed limits is already proven practice in europe

are you just not reading the poster who keeps pointing out that speed limits actually do have an effect or what

also everyone in this thread wants roads to be redesigned so that no one can go above 5 mph, but in a country where doing that would spur suicide bombings from suburban moms, we simply post 'ban cars' instead. hth

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Suplex Liberace posted:

I almost got hit crossing the street at a light yesterday. The driver was very mad I was walking when the light said too and he had to wait to turn a few seconds! He almost clipped me when he ripped past me while I was in the middle of the street.

destroy all cars. crush them into tiny cubes and fling them into outer space

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

nomad2020 posted:

How about instead of banning cars we just put the FAA in charge. Every new car you buy requires a new type certification. (real) yearly inspections, repair logs, the whole deal.

also every time you want to drive, you have to file a flight plan, or uh, drive plan. by fax, maybe. you have to then sit in your car and wait for a control tower to call you and tell you that your street is clear, and boy we have a bunch of cars on the road right now so they might keep you waiting for half an hour or more, and you have to do the exact same poo poo when you're coming home. you also need a copilot in your car and if you do anything stupid, there goes your license.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

this all seems complicated and banning cars would be much easier

if you outlaw cars, only outlaws will have cars. much better to destroy them all

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Vomik posted:

and Americans are also taught that any aggression should be responded to with violence

also if you're in a car you're the king of the road, and the damned impudence of a mere cyclist or pedestrian to touch your car... why, it's already asking too much that they be allowed to slow down the progress of important people with important things to do, getting in your way in crosswalks and cycling so slowly in the middle of the road, the absolute nerve, but now they have the arrogance to actually profane your driving machine with their dirty hands.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

bicycles are good

cars are bad

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Lastgirl posted:

this upsets people unironically, isn't that insane

'car brain' is real, it's in the dsmv, and we have to eradicate it

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

loving horrific video from yesterday in dc

https://twitter.com/nickmararac/status/1469520634006814720

in short, this dude lives at a three way stop intersection and has been aiming his camera out his window for ages because drivers keep flooring it through the stop signs way above the speed limit. neighborhood has been trying to get speed bumps and zebra stripes installed for years but the city ignores them. yesterday he caught a video of a driver gunning it through the intersection and making a turn from the wrong side HIT A loving KID ON A BIKE.

destroy all cars, and make sure that people who drive them like this are tossed into the trash compactor beside them.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Cugel the Clever posted:

From DC, there were two recent incidents of automotive violence. The kids from the vid we've already seen in the thread survived to tell his tale:
https://twitter.com/JohnHenryWUSA/status/1469855590851751942?t=xA9YRXu-gwZYdLVfRauaTw&s=19

The other one didn't and, after the city temporarily closed the door to safety concerns, drivers moved the barriers to open it back up:
https://twitter.com/JohnHenryWUSA/status/1470613416377257990?t=TM7aSvI85sVLqWt7YKcLhw&s=19

the mayor is really stepping up by saying stuff like 'hey drivers, maybe consider slowing down' and continuing to delay and cancel safety projects. glad we have someone really committed to the goal of vision zero in office.

the more time goes by, the more surprised I am that she made the vision zero pledge in the first place. she won't even pick the low hanging fruit; as we get closer to the end of the ten year period it's only going to generate more and worse headlines for Bowser.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Xaris posted:

well if someone has to die, the one negligently speeding and ramming into a clearly marked vehicle is the one that should eat it. it was also likely just a matter of time before they plowed into some bicyclists and pedestrians too

yeah i had a lot of good schadenfreude after the dc streetcar line opened a few years back. because normally when drivers open their car doors without looking it sends a cyclist to the hospital or the morgue, but it turns out if you do that poo poo while the streetcar is passing it'll tear the door right off your car. lmao

also terrifying to think of how little attention you're paying if you don't see or hear a loving train-sized streetcar right next to you, but mostly lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Ardennes posted:

Too bad, the streetcar itself is one of those 2000/early 2010 boondoggles that doesn't connect to almost anything.

a little bit of good news there, it sounds like it's being extended east to benning road metro soonish. the west expansion is still tied up with the union station redevelopment, so that could be a few more years yet. for further improvements past that we're going to need a new mayor who would be willing to eliminate the parking spaces next to the streetcar lane and then install a curb to separate it from taffic, though, because bowser will never ever do that

Ardennes posted:

DC has been trying to construct a metro line to Dulles for over decade at this point.

good news there too, the line is done. i think it's opening q1 2022