Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

every day i must climb into a tiny cage and pilot it on giant scars we've carved into the surface of a once beautiful world, knowing each time that it may be my last as thousands of other tiny cages piloted by angry and distracted prisoners are there with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

it is absolutely absurd that the Amtrak train from Buffalo to Rochester, NY takes longer than driving on the highway would. I should be able to get on a train and be there in 10 minutes MAX.

i know comparatively this doesn't seem like much of a complaint but for two cities this close to each other, in the same (BLUE) state, there's no reason why this doesn't exist beyond Car/Oil Companies Say No

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

frankly, it is loving horseshit that you're not allowed to walk through the take-out window lane. yeah that's right, I called it what it is: A TAKE-OUT WINDOW LANE, NOT A DRIVE-THRU. You can do any number of things thru it, you shouldn't HAVE to drive!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Karach posted:

This bike literally costs more than my car (a used hybrid civic, because I'm a Good Person).

when did you buy it? even if it's a piece of poo poo, if it runs you might be able to get 5 grand for it right now

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

It's looked like a huge bubble for the last five years or so, but it somehow hasn't popped yet, I don't know how.*

*The Auto-Loan Bubble reached Critical Mass in NUMBER Thread, Issue #79! -- Stan

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

PeterCat posted:

It's depressing, these aren't places to live in. I feel like they should put those glyphs to warn future people of radiation on the entrances to these places.

"This is not a place of honor."

I mean, this is what we do with our cities and land. Make a huge parking lot for a big box store so we can buy poorly made cheap crap. When my 90 year old grandma was a teenager living on a farm in the midwest, she said she's walk a mile or two to town, hope the train to Sioux City. Do her shopping in the downtown area near the train station, take the train back to the town, then walk home.

People today wouldn't know how to process such an idea.

idk why but it finally clicked for me the other day that the reason Americans express distance as a measure of time (ie "it's about two hours away") is because the method of transportation is always assumed to be car. if you are traveling anywhere, it is assumed you will be traveling there the same way everyone else will - by car.

BECAUSE WHY WALK WHEN IT'S JUST A FIVE MINUTE DRIVE, JUST TAKE FIVE MINUTES AND POP DOWN THERE AND A QUICK FIVE MINUTES BACK

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

everyday in winter our factory puts out these PA announcements telling people who parked in non-spaces to move their cars. The problem is simply that there is not enough parking in the winter for all of the employees here, since some spots are now occupied by big snow banks.

The idea that we reduce the number of cars coming into the lot is unthinkable. Putting a bus stop out front so that people don't have to walk two miles from the next closest one is unthinkable. We can only pave more nature for more space, so that we have extra room in winter.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I thought you all liked old cities. We're just returning to the way they were in their heyday!

(except all over the ground)

it's so funny that the solution to this was "this is loving bullshit - cut them down and DO IT BETTER"

can you imagine any modern government institution having that level of regulatory balls?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

like if we had a growing trend of people fighting monkeys in underground arena fights, the regulation would be to make sure a vet is on-site to euthanize them if they get too hurt and then invest all public pension money into the monkey fights

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Horace posted:

they could probably make the penalty a roadside summary execution and you'd still see people weaving in their lane while looking at their lap.

We set up nationwide transit infrastructure that requires each citizen to operate their own vehicles at high speeds, then gave each of them a pocket-sized skinner box that constantly calls for their attention and rewards them with dopamine hits for looking. Let's watch what happens next!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Not available to the vast majority of humans

what about go-karts

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

crashing into homes AND threatening people

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

cars give the false illusion of complete privacy. people act like maniacs because they think nobody can see them

and it's constantly reinforcing itself. because you are relatively isolated and can rapidly distance yourself from your target of ire, it's very rare that you will actually encounter any pushback for being an angry lunatic towards someone that is doing 1 under the speed limit. as a result, people train their brains over time: this is the rage box. once you climb inside and get on the road, it is okay and normal to be in a constant state of rage.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

Technical impediments like speed limiters on cars can be mandated, just like other safety features.

Yeah frankly if we're gonna be putting chips and sensors in absolutely everything, it feels incredibly stupid to leave this one feature which is instrumental to the safe operation of the vehicle up to choice. It's like putting up signs on the highway that say "You have to have brakes to drive on this road" rather than just making them a standard part of the vehicle.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

owning a car should be a pain in the rear end the same way owning a boat is: a problem that the person having it can afford to have

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Dolphin posted:

look at this good thing that happened to these cars
https://twitter.com/Molls_Robinson/status/1494779349391876101

hmmm seems like a bad system

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

think about how much a gallon is. envision a one gallon jug of milk

and we individually just casually burn that much gasoline daily. sometimes two!

That comic about the energy slaves and the equivalent of human work required to power our society really had an effect on me.

anyway i bought a bike on ebay and i'm picking it up this weekend. I decided I wanted to buy something cheap and used that I can take apart and put back together and drill holes in to mount racks and baskets or do whatever else I might feel inclined to without worrying too much about it. We had a lot of snow melt the last couple days here in WNY so I'm looking forward to learning all about these psychotic drivers that want to kill bicyclists you all are always talking about :)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

don't look forward, look to your sides and behind you. head on a swivel. they can be anywhere

i keep getting instagram ads for an app that is supposed to help track objects around you while you're riding and like alert you when they're getting close - it's one of those things that looks good on paper but I can't help but feeling like "I already have a system that does this - my eyes and ears" lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Junkozeyne posted:

Your eyes and ears don't sell your data so they are clearly inferior

maybe yours don't, but I'm a GoogleSense BetaTester

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

yeah it's probably more about being able to see out the windshield than anything else. almost like this a bad mode of conveyance for areas that have temps regularly below freezing!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Sweet! Post a pic when you get it and don't drill any holes in the frame.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

plz dont drill your bike
see it's a good thing I posted because I don't know poo poo about bikes, i just know drills

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

edit: you can just clamp/velcro poo poo to your bike, do that instead. Or if there are threaded "eyelets" you attach stuff there

why don't i just lash it on with a jungle vine while i'm at it

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

PeterCat posted:

So, from the article, bike lanes are considered gentrification? Like, it's better to chain poor people to cars than make it easier to get around by bike?

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/oct/05/blame-bike-cycling-contribute-city-gentrification

I'm gonna say based on the people I've seen who use bikes most frequently in my area: this idea is not based in reality, but based on a preconceived notion someone set out to prove.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Here's an idea, street parking should be illegal everywhere.

i keep seeing vehicles parked in driveways sticking out into protected bike lanes and it's giving me dangerous thoughts

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Sphyre posted:

why can this church stop a bike lane from being built anyways. the on street parking is on the street. it doesn't belong to them. it's not yours. gently caress you

and in the article they talk about how their church members spend 10s of thousands a year on spaces in parking garages so like - use those??

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

actionjackson posted:

you have to pay bitcoin to use the crosswalk

edit:

"Craig Clark, 38, who lives in Washington Heights and drives to an English-language teaching job in Queens, said that “it’s worth slowing down a little — that’s reasonable” but added that he would be concerned if raised crosswalks across the city significantly slowed traffic and made his commute, which already takes up to an hour, even longer."

why is he driving - it is a bit of a haul by transit too, so my next question is why doesn't he just find something closer

i'm willing to go a little bit slower, but i'm concerned about increasing the length of my commute. is there any way you could change the laws of physics to solve both of these problems at once? otherwise please do the thing that makes my car faster or whatever it was thank you

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

officer, there was an implication that this was a take off ramp - why else would it be here

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

car brain is a real thing.

if c-spam has opened my mind to anything, it is that the automobile is a satanic, parasitic invention

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I have the opposite reaction. If a bus or train is slow/delayed its all v:shobon:v welp, nothing to be done about it. If I'm in a car and jammed up I go nuts trying to figure out which is the fastest lane or if there are any alternate routes.

Precisely - the car is just a busy box for people who aren't okay being alone with their own thoughts, but upscaled into the only transportation infrastructure we have

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

My neighbors (four college frat guys) each have their own giant trucks that they don't have room for. One of them is idling in his truck when I leave in the morning and idling in his truck when I get home. What are you doing??

getting us 4.0C that much faster

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Do the flags have an appreciable effect on fuel economy

I saw a guy driving down the highway in a work truck decked out in BACK THE BLUE decals, with two big flags flying off a pole in the back
1. thin blue line american flag
2. "JOE BIDEN SUCKS"

e: this kind of big truck guy is like the second to final form of evolution of carbrain. the final is when your big truck or van is covered in sharpie or woodpanels with black painted letters or those block letter stickers carefully placed one by one to display the craziest poo poo you've ever heard in your life. Car Brain Ascension - your car has literally become your brain, and it displays your thoughts to the world for you

Pepe Silvia Browne has issued a correction as of 14:18 on Mar 3, 2022

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

zegermans posted:

How about a trip from Beijing to Shanghai at a whisper-quiet 150KPH while you sleep in your own personal capsule hotel, costs like $40 btw

when i see a picture like this i hear war drums in my head thinking of all the things Big Oil and related industries did to pave over every square inch of America

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Gripweed posted:

You've heard of Cloverleaf intersections, but are you ready for Hellspirals?

how bout this, but then a larger Hell Spiral around it in case you were looking at your phone and missed the first ramp

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Blackhawk posted:

There was a story on the national TV news last night about how we need to bring back passenger rail in New Zealand and painting trains in a positive light, so that's uhh pretty good I guess! Of course we're not going to actually do it because that would cost money which would require taxing the rich and yeah that's not a way to win elections.

Crazy to see a map of how many passenger rail routes have gone away since the 1970's.

Here's the passenger rail network at its peak:

And here it is today:

(And actually some of the 'today' lines shown are really tourist only lines that are shut down due to covid, and even when they were running only went a few times per week)

So basically you can't go between literally any city or town to any other on a train in New Zealand. There are still a fair few tracks existing but they're now used exclusively for freight, and even where there are passenger trains they have to share the lines with freight which mean the passenger services are severely limited in speed. Also the lines and grades are all 100+ years old and were never designed for high speeds, so even if the tracks were clear the trains would still be very limited (and none of the intercity lines are electrified).

The bullshit thing is that we have quite a good electricity grid in terms of renewable energy, about 84% renewable, so if we were to have a robust electrified rail network between our major towns/cities we could massively reduce our overall emissions.

goddamn, little island in the middle of nowhere all by itself can't resist car brain and paving over everything. what chance does america have?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

yeah, we were living on a cloud that was bound to collapse eventually and everyone with sense warned you for decades that it would hurt when it finally did.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

*builds everything to be completely dependent on oil and gas supply being able to meet unlimited demand*
*something disrupts supply of oil and gas*
What's going on??? Why is this happening all of a sudden????

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

I just started reading The Grapes of Wrath and it's funny to think of people back then hacking apart their cars to turn them into trucks so they could move their stuff. Soon the megatrucks are gonna start shedding pieces to get more than 10 mpg. or likely, the megacab ones are just going to turn into the modern mini mobile home.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

living at the exact geographical center of this devil cracker nation probably provides enough psychic trauma on its own without getting repeatedly raided by the feds

e: you are in some senses the furthest person on earth from humane healthcare

Look fellers, I'm just the keeper of this here Hell Gate which links our Earthly world to the nether-realm of twisted shadow creatures and fiendish abominations. I don't know nothin about no "I-Pee" Address, now ya'd best be gettin on cuz we're fixing to feed our Cerberus

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

it is extremely positive and healthy for people to have to behave as if they're being stalked by giant metal monsters any time they walk around in public

it is the job of the pedestrian to be aware of every aspect of their surroundings in order to stay alive. it is the job of the autommobile operator to be aware of the road in front of them, and it's okay if they forget about that sometimes too. no one can be expected to be that alert after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

No, Son, Mommy isn't making dinner tonight. Mommy lives in Heaven now, with God. You domed her, Son. You split her wig with your poor trigger discipline.