Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

the sex ghost posted:

I have never read a single book and will never read any articles or theory. What is the accepted lefty position on car ownership and private transport in general. Is it submitting an application to the department of motor vehicles outlining why you need a car and getting one loaned to you on a case by case basis. Would the state be responsible for the maintenance of said vehicles. Will I get to have a go in a Yugo because that would be extremely cool.

I like cars but I also like public transport. Not sure of the best way to start reducing the number of privately owned cars but a good place to start would be to make the driving test more difficult and make people retake it every couple of years or so

increase funding of public transit to like china levels and then make registering a car a pain in the rear end that you have to do every year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
weird that there's a lot of racist europeans itt considering they invented cars and car culture in the first place

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
either make transit free or every road a toll road so the road department has to make their budget back too

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
i think we should nuke europe to ashes for the crime of inventing the horseless carriage

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
pretty sure that's the sa frontpage if you turn adblocker off

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
stood in the middle of the street while talking to a neighbor as cars had to drive around me, felt good

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Milo and POTUS posted:

At least they're not riding MARTA :imunfunny: *horror sting*

MARTA rules, kill anyone from outside marta range, tia

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I'm seeing lots of people straight up blowing through red lights (like everyone is stopped and they just hop into the turn lane and keep going straight) and it's freaking me out.

yeah i was sitting at a stop light and a dude just went into the right turn lane and went straight through, didn't even look while cars went by in the crossroad at 60+ mph on a 4 lane highway

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

distortion park posted:

https://twitter.com/mattagertz/status/1510338713208819712?t=nTMTy03ZhZYDIh9BhcA0zA&s=19

lol.

Cycling and (bad) bus provision is necessary but insufficient - winning the war on cars is the only way to truly improve our cities.

big fan of the car parked in the "BUS ONLY" zone

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

actionjackson posted:

isn't lake shore drive highway 41?

Yes but the speed limit is only 40. DUSABLE Lake Shore Drive is also loving terrible and should be torn out. I almost got creamed crossing it once because some dude jumped the light and decided to floor it.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Also is chicago some biker rider got got killed by a drunk driver on Madison after the city tore out the planters along it because they cost too much money to maintain.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/2022/4/21/23035374/paresh-chhatrala-west-loop-crash-courtney-bertucci

edit: my mistake they were removed to improve traffic flow lmao

edit2:

quote:

Ald. Walter Burnett (27th) had the city pay $400,000 to remove the planters in 2019 to ease traffic congestion, according to Block Club Chicago. The planters were installed to beautify the neighborhood by former Mayor Richard M. Daley in the run-up to the 1996 Democratic National Convention.
“It’s very unfortunate that somebody lost their life because of this. You can point your finger at many things, but I don’t think it’s anyone’s fault. I think it’s an accident. My condolences go to the family,” Burnett said.

Peanut President has issued a correction as of 03:41 on Apr 22, 2022

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
if you like destroying cars that game (beam.ng drive) is a good'n

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
its wild how hitting someone with a car isn't considered a crime but if you do it to a cop it's assault with a deadly weapon

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Norton posted:

20 years ago i drove across texas and it was a very boring drive but your post reminded me that they had tons of stupid signs all over the highway. i can't find a picture but there was one type that said "observe road signs". as if someone noticed people weren't obeying the signs so their solution was to make more signs that told people to read the other signs. i'm sure it was like a million dollars to put all those stupid things up across the entire state and there is a 0% chance they helped anyone.

another good example of this is the 11 Foot 8 Bridge in north carolina. When the videos first started it had a generic "11'8"" sign with yellow lights and people would hit the beam that protects the bridge. Now they raised the bridge 8 more inches, it has a stoplight, and it has a sign that reads "OVER HEIGHT MUST TURN" that flashes when it detects a tall vehicle approaching....and people still hit the beam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpwASaUsLis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWTY2Pi1uKA

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Norton posted:

omg datyona beach 1976

what the gently caress haha

yeah before daytona speedway was built in 1959 the daytona 500 was held on the beach

half on the beach half on the highway that runs parallel

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I dunno about NZ but in the US electric golf carts are extremely popular in retirement communities in Florida because old folks love to hop into the cart and go get shitfaced. Some retirement communities are built around golf cart paths.

You'd think the country would learn a lesson from that but of course not.

yeah golf carts are legal in indiana (depending on town ordinance). lots of people drive them around the little town i live in. They'll even put little zip up covers on them in the winter.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
i dont think hells angels and whatever are nazis per se, I think the german iconography was just meant to rile up polite society, that was the 70s after all. it'd be like walking around with a hezbollah flag on your shirt or whatever today

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

literally a picture of a suburb in slovakia

europeans shut the gently caress up challenge continues to not be met

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

I never really got a satisfactory answer from the EV mavens about how the millions of people like me, who park on the street, are going to keep our EVs charged. I don't park anywhere besides at my house and there's zero guarantee I'll get a spot in front of my house.

giant bumper car style electricity cages over every street like in super mario brothers the movie

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
ev's are basically using a finite non renewable resource in lithium instead of oil

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

mystes posted:

Those are very weird to me as an american because i feel like the UK is better for walking/cycling in most other ways but I don't think I've ever seen something like that in the US.

I've seen one in Indiana where a greenway crossed a (semi-abandoned) railway

those gates can be opened but everyone just gets off their bike and walks around them. I assume thats the idea of them more so than to block mopeds or whatever (as the greenway parallels streets in that area there's no need)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

in europe they just have their slaves carry them everywhere

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

I love the wording, like they had a congenial sports match where you can only expect a winner and a loser

pedestrian got hit, got up, and beat the driver to death :angel:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

mystes posted:

We really need to learn from what's working in other countries but Americans are literally incapable of that.

i can tell you why this doesn't happen in america:

(does the money fingers thing)

Why spend 50 bucks to have a government entity build something over a weekend when you can spend 5 million on bullshit like:
contract negotiation with private companies for 3 years (some of which are owned by your neighbors and friends)
envrionmental reviews that are meaningless (subcontracted to a company for 2 years)
public discourse for 18 months (listen to boomers complain about project)
new round of contract negotiations after paying the first company 2 million dollars just for them to bail out
and finally 3 million dollars to your golfing buddy with no timeline or budgetary concerns because you just got elected senator and it's therefore not your problem anymore

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

a_pineapple posted:

neighborhood dumpsters though, I suppose that would require americans to actually participate in their community and use a communal dumpster/recycling.... which they'd just be like COMMUNISM and reject immediately

its really funny because I grew up in a small town in Indiana with communal trash and recycling. You have to drive but its meant to serve the town and rural community together and its actually rather convenient. Only problem is since it's upscaled for a town they have it out on the outskirts so people don't bitch about the smell.

It's literally a bunch of dumpsters in a gravel lot but it was so weird to live in a dark red part of a red state that had designated sorting for Glass, Plastic, Cardboard, Newspapers, Tin, and even Motor Oil and Antifreeze:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

this is a mixed bag bc it pretty much necessitates everyone owning a pickup (to haul your refuse to the dump)

balderdash i used to do it in my chevy lumina (a sedan)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
im glad nyc is getting rid of all those dangerous dirt bikes (opens nyt, sees article about 7 year old girl being run over by a gmc yukon that never saw her because the driver was on their phone)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
i've seen enough car crash compilations to know that americans are not the worst drivers, just the stupidest

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
a few states (i know indiana does) have giant signs at some busier ones that read "STATE LAW: MUST [STOP] FOR PEDESTRIAN IN CROSSWALK" and i've still almost been hit in those exact crosswalks with those signs.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

actionjackson posted:

I heard about how dangerous lake shore drive is for non-cars, but this picture really puts it into perspective jfc

yeah Jean Baptiste Pont du Sable Lake Shore Drive is bad

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

withak posted:

Tesla driver confused about why everyone they encounter is angrily flipping them off: “probably they are just jealous”

if one person is an rear end in a top hat to you they're an rear end in a top hat
if everyone is an rear end in a top hat to you you're an rear end in a top hat

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

I don't understand.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
well now there's a reasonable doubt, not guilty

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
manhattan doesn't have alleyways or sidestreets or an underground system or anything for handling trash so it all goes on the sidewalk

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
if you drive into Cobb County you deserve your traffic. The Braves built their stadium out there because the rich white racist yankees who make up 90% of their fanbase refused to travel into the city where they'd have to see black people walking around.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

fun fact you can just drive straight onto the trail at Fullerton (and if what the twitter reply is true, is probably what that guy did)

there's not even a curb

edit: there's lots of places you can do it around belmont harbor too, idk why the city won't put bollards there

Peanut President has issued a correction as of 16:51 on Oct 21, 2022

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

BonHair posted:

The American island paradise

its actually in Finland
https://www.google.com/maps/@60.181827,24.9136756,15z

edit: wiki only has a page for the island in french and a bunch of fake languages so idk what the island is for but the satellite pic makes it look like a place to store boats in the winter so they don't get crushed in ice

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

genericnick posted:

Wait, what. Streetcars aren't just trams? America (derogatory)

streetcars used to be trams yeah. the new systems are just lovely light rail systems that cities call "streetcars" to harken back to the good ol days

this is the old style interurban / streetcar that linked america together back in the day.

they ran on city streets and were replaced with buses (or nothing, in most cases)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
fuckin Huggins was pulled over with a .21 bac

for reference the legal limit where he was pulled over is .08. dude was blitzed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
also yeah it rules how cops have just stopped enforcing laws, almost entirely, and the answer the two parties give is "well obviously they need more funding"