Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
In Indiana if you pass a certified driver's ed course with a high enough score you can skip the written and practical, though the driver's ed one is a bit more intensive than the regular state version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I was out in Yellowstone a couple weeks ago and ran into a huge traffic jam on the west side of the park. It was about six miles to the geysers so I figured gently caress it, I parked in a pull-out and started riding my bike the rest of the way. Didn't make it; there was a herd of buffalo milling about in the middle of the road, completely stopping traffic, and I wasn't about to try and ride past them on a bicycle. But the looks of disgust and honks of hatred I got on the way there just speeding past miles of stopped traffic made it all worth it. One guy in a truck even purposefully pulled forward to try and block my way, I just went around him the other way. I was sad to have missed the geysers but got to see a bunch of buffalo up close, and the ride back was even better, all the traffic was going the other way so I could just ride in the center of the lane.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

withak posted:

On a bike could you cut through a herd of bison blocking the road quickly enough that they couldn't gore you?

You first bud

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Gunshow Poophole posted:

in the true spirit of America today im driving to a trail that used to be a railway to ride my bike on it

There's plenty of rail trails near where I live, and as of late one of them is even being converted back into a railroad! The rare rail-to-trail-to-rail.

Re: bike chat, the bicycle that I've had for over 15 years is one that was abandoned in a park while I was doing landscaping for the town. We held onto it for a month, I asked my boss if I could take it home and he said yes, and I've had no problems with it ever since. The last time I took it in for a tune-up the mechanic said he'd give me $500 for it if I was ever looking to get rid of it. I love rich towns.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I've got a lock that's a U-lock plus a cable, so if you can't get close enough to a pole/you're just running inside somewhere, you can still lock it up. But yeah, I've had probably half a dozen bikes stolen in my lifetime, it really sucks. It was so bad that I started insuring them and had to wait like four hours at the police station for some lazy gently caress to fill out a form I could send to the insurance company.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I have sometimes thought about carrying a satchel of stones with me on my bike to throw at cars honking at me for egregious acts like using a street, crossing a street, being in a lane, etc. Then I remember they might have a gun and I'll just have to settle for flipping them off

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Mauser posted:

By swipes at you do you mean they were swerving at you intentionally? What the gently caress

Yeah that's also happened to me several times. I was only actually run off the rode once, but I can't count the number of times people have tried. And that's not counting people honking, passing purposefully close, or rolling coal as they pass.

But there's no greater feeling than getting passed by one of those people, then catching up to them at the next stoplight and pulling in front of them again.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

what a great vehicle for the city

Whenever I'm on the highway and get passed by a truck I check whether its bed has more or less storage capacity than my minivan. A whole lot of them don't pass that test.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

ok boomers grooming

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Ten vast and toll-less lanes of stone,

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I want to find out if you can bring these cars to a halt by pasting an image of a person on the windshield, much easier than carrying around a traffic cone

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

gradenko_2000 posted:

Rode my bike today

This is my longest ride yet since the injury back in April. It's good to be back.

Excellent, nice elevation gain. I've gotten used to biking in the Midwest again so it's always like 40 km distance, 3 m gain.

I was out biking today, got to a cross street and there was a funeral going by, so I turned around, went the other way, and almost got hit by a driver who blew a stop sign. He just shrugged as he went by... and got caught by the same funeral, so I went over and yelled at him. Felt good.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

DaysBefore posted:

Awesome map and I assume none of it exists now but also loling at number 39: ghetto. Is there something more to that because it's very funny to put the White Sox stadium up there with the place with all the poor people as a neat idea for a trip around the city

We'll never knew because guess where they built the fuckin interstate through

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Epic High Five posted:

lol that rules, cops are exempt from the law I take it?

Sadly it's not real.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Neither are good ideas but it's probably way safer to bike totally wasted than to drive at the legal limit.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

I missed most of Houston when I was out in Texas a couple months ago due to the worst rainstorm I've ever seen, but driving between San Antonio and Austin was one of the most cursed things I've ever experienced. Just two hours of eight lane highways full of people going 90 mph through neverending suburbs. I think this is what hell is based on.

This evening I took a drive out to a forest preserve I walk through sometimes, but on a whim I took my bike. It's a very rural area just off a major road, so 99% of the traffic is on that road and not the smaller ones. I rode for about 20 miles along back roads and met maybe 3 cars in that time. Saw plenty of deer, horses, and cows.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I was out riding the other day and a F250 with mirrors extending like three feet out on either side kept honking at me and eventually passed me really aggressively, speeding up to like 35 mph in a 20. I was then immediately passed by a cop who did nothing. I hope they both choke on a donut.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
At some point the cops realized they could just do nothing all day and still get paid and nobody could do anything about it because they're cops. Why'd it have to be this union to be the one to recognize their power?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

heated game moment posted:

People gravely underestimate the forces involved in driving a vehicle at speed. Watching people wreck their expensive trucks because of this never gets old

If you actually want to do this without loving up your ride then do I have the vehicle for you. It's called a bicycle.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Clark Nova posted:

hosed up that this is viewed as a problem instead of a solution

Sewage: the solution to cleaning up our streets.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Harik posted:

I was just shown this monument to huffing lead fumes:

It looks unreal but it's probably due to whatever postprocessing they use to erase all the cars.

Honestly I've driven down that stretch a hundred times and it's never really stood out to me, though I would never get off at any of those exits because gently caress driving in Chicago. Traffic is also pretty slow there which helps.

Speaking of Chicago, you can take your bike on some of the light rail into the city, so I'm currently trying to plot a route from downtown to my house, about 40 miles altogether, almost all on bike trails. Burning nothing but calories.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
When I was a kid the Arby's had a whole pneumatic system installed because the restaurant wasn't built to have a drive thru set up. I walked by there the other day and it was boarded up and they just had a cashier running the to go orders out the door. We used to make poo poo in this country

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

mawarannahr posted:

bus flew into the sea in Eminönü, İstanbul (pictured: Galata tower)

You'd think Istanbul would know better than anybody the danger of letting foreign vehicles into the river.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Real hurthling! posted:

a kid where i teach built an all bamboo bike as a sustainability project and even rode it to school every day with regular tires on it and they had him meet obama during a potus visit and obama made fun of the bike and told him to focus on more practical inventions for our nations future. no lie.

"we, ah, bamboo tortured some folks"

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

I parsed the helmet as the front bumper of a car at first and thought this was a car driver going psycho from being stuck in traffic and not a cyclist being extremely cool and extremely not in traffic.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The beauty of Yellowstone is indisputably marred by the sheer volume of traffic. They need to replace personal cars completely with an extensive shuttle system.

Having just got out of Yellowstone I totally agree. It is physically large enough that shuttles could be a problem (because they'll be underfunded and implemented poorly) but I had a blast leaving my van in a faraway parking lot and biking to all the places on the west side of the park.

The shuttle system in Zion is really good, largely because it's just a straight line.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Agree with the replier who said "Unglaublich" because I understood that

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Mandoric posted:

Like most of east Asia, they build a little zigzag so you can listen to 24/7 vroom/chuggachugga/whoosh and do some self-criticism.

There's still a subsistence farm in the runway loop of Tokyo's 'new' (late 60sish?) airport, I think, definitely was before covid. I used to try to get a window on the proper side of the plane so I could give the old guy a thumbs-up.

Slight derail but the story of Narita Airport is wild, here's an excerpt from the book Dissenting Japan:

quote:

Narita International Airport was set finally to open on 30 March 1978, but Hantai Dōmei’s cohorts had one more ace up their sleeve...The facility was being protected by 14,000 riot police, and so, to create a diversion, the protestors rebuilt their fortresses and a 16-metre tower. They held a massive 10,000-strong rally at the fortresses, drawing the police away. And then all hell began to break loose. A burning truck loaded with radicals came from nowhere and rammed through the main airport gates. (One of those on the truck would later die from his burns.) Hundreds then rushed into the airport grounds at fourteen points around the site. Emergency services ran around frantically, trying to put out the flames. Foot soldiers from the all-red Fourth International were chased by the all-black riot police, making for a colourful, oddly beautiful scene.

But all this was a distraction, mere bagatelles of fireworks and marauders. While the tumult was going on, fourteen militants, mostly from Fourth International, were lying in wait. They had entered the airport through the sewers the night before and now, coming out of a manhole near the control tower, like ninjas they made good on their carefully planned assault. Ten managed to get inside the control tower, fired upon by guards. Six then made it up to the control room and started to smash up equipment. Having captured the heart of the airport, they unfurled a red banner from the roof. A hammer and sickle was painted on one of the few unbroken windows...The band of saboteurs, meanwhile, barricaded themselves in, so police were eventually forced to climb up from the outside, firing tear gas in through the windows to recapture the castle keep from the invaders after two hours. This incredible coup delayed the opening of the airport to 20 May.

T...The airport had been scaled back to just the first phase of its original gargantuan plan. It had been expected to open in 1973, but instead the journey had taken twelve long years from the announcement of the airport site in 1966. It was 16,000 hectares in size and with a 4,000-metre runway, yet only a third of the plan. To reach this took the deaths of four policemen, two students, and those of many others who died indirectly from injuries or trauma suffered in the protest movement. Thousands had been injured and arrested, and there had been direct underwriting to the tune of ¥160 billion and indirect investment of some ¥800 billion.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

spacemang_spliff posted:

day 2 of bike ownership. it still owns. went on a short ride to scout out a good way to get to Aldi. I was able to keep an average speed of 10mph which isn't too bad I don't think although I'm still terribly out of shape but riding frequently will fix that. hopefully it cools down soon because I'm definitely not used to riding in 90 degree heat.

do people buy mirrors for bikes, I felt naked without being able to see behind me without turning my head

Hell yeah, 10 mph is definitely not bad for a start, especially if it's in an urban or suburban area with lots of stopping.

IMO mirrors are nice but not essential, since as a bike you're not doing a lot of merging and being outside of a vehicle it's pretty easy to hear cars coming up from behind you. I'd put lights and a rear rack above a mirror as essentials. Also, it's probably a placebo but about six months ago I installed an empty Gopro case mount on my helmet and I feel like drivers have been less aggressive around me since then. It won't stop anybody who's plumb not paying attention, but it might stop somebody messing with you on purpose.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I went to Arby's a little while ago and when leaving there was a car in the right exit lane with its blinker on, not moving, despite no cars coming. I was going left so I pulled up beside them and turned since there were no cars coming. About five seconds later there's a honk from behind me and said car swerves to barely avoid hitting me, apparently having decided to go left instead of right but not bothering to check their surroundings. It was probably my mistake for going to Arby's in the first place though.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

mystes posted:

the cybertruck is so weirdly angular/sharp I wouldn't be surprised if someone could cut their hand off opening/closing a door or something

It's probably pretty safe because it's so easy to clip through.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Came across this curiosity today at the big box store.

A mock truck sized for a driver unable to be seen by a real truck.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

an actual frog posted:

For the metric-averse those poor, suffering parents must walk the combined distance of nine end-to-end car parking spaces to reach the alternate parking spots. Nine. :ohdear:

Nine? That's practically two digits! Which is practically three digits!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The school where I was teaching ordered all students biking to school to go against the flow of traffic. It's an insane way of doing things, doubly so because you'll get people properly biking with the flow of traffic so you have bikes on both sides.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Growing up in Chicago we all laughed at the videos of people in like Texas getting into pinball accidents when they get like an inch of snow, but the exact same thing happens here if there's too much snow for the plows to keep up with or it's just too goddamn cold. It's almost entirely infrastructure based.

Also, it gives a lot of people the false impression that they can drive in snow in places that aren't a completely flat plain for 500 miles, and that's an entirely different beast.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

FlutieFlake posted:

I have heard worse ideas. If it makes drivers uncomfortable enough to slow down, it is probably safer than a normal two lane road with no protected bike lanes.

That "if" is bigger than an F-150.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

But what if a terrorist installs two of those bombs from Speed so that my car will explode if I go below 110 mph, didn't think about that, did you, government regulators

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Maybe Nashville is notoriously stingy but there's no way he got ticketed for going 75 in a 65, if you're going 10 over the limit and not in the rightmost lane people are gonna be swerving around you constantly.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Smythe posted:

interesting article. i agree (duh) it sucks to see public amenities like this evaporating.

I was in Kansas City sometime last year and walked past a parade of beautiful, ornate public clocks, all stopped. It really gave me the vibe of living in the ruins of Rome or something like that. Of course, nobody needs big clock towers any more, but it's such a simple action that we can no longer perform adequately.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
(walking my bicycle on the sidewalk) yeah I'm genderfluid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

lmao I have that exact map as a tea towel draped over my chair

I also have a bandanna with a map of the greater Osaka area train lines