Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Making the train too long for the siding sounds like an OpenTTD rookie mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
couldn't America just build pedestrian walkways so people can walk over dangerous intersections

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

McCracAttack posted:

Americans don't want pedestrian crossings because then poor people will be able to walk into their neighborhood.

ah ha, gotcha

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
having to face traffic while sober kinda sucks

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Aren't wild deer full of prion diseases and poo poo now

also full of covid

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I like waiting for a green before turning right just because it makes people mad :shobon:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

cool av posted:

rode my bike for the first time in a year

hell yeah uncritical support for all cyclists

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

silicone thrills posted:

I need to air up my tires and see if my crippling fear has chilled out a little. I mostly walk everywhere and bus and gently caress i really do want to bike.

for what it's worth I basically never take a left turn on a bike and always just get off and walk across like a pedestrian

it got beaten into my head that getting to where I'm going alive is more important than anything else

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mawarannahr posted:

are things like traffic lamps and crosswalks mainly for decorative purposes where you are, too?

I posted a couple of pages back that while the Philippines did implement a bunch of bike lanes over the last two years*, everything has opened back up, and we're already sliding back to "maybe motorcycles should be allowed on bike lanes" and "maybe we should abolish bike lanes entirely because it's just taking up lanes that cars could be using"

so while there are traffic lights and crosswalks, it's still risky a lot of times

___

* when we entered into a hard lockdown in 2020, absolutely all public transportation was ended, and even private cars and motorbikes were subject to strict internal border controls. People took to riding bikes (or walking) purely because the government literally did not people any other choice to get around. In some ways it's a demonstration of how sufficient political will can end car culture, but then car culture did eventually come back

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/mich_jpg/status/1604338692801249280?t=NlDCoAH31DeMYePBIZFG8w&s=19

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/manilabulletin/status/1605099430587367430

I feel like if you admit that your car is a "weapon of mass destruction" that it's more an argument that it should be taken away from you

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
rode my bike today

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

cowboy beepboop posted:

i hate most city sims don't even have the option of building things without the implicit assumption that all your citizens will have a car and drive it everywhere unless you play 'medieval misery simulator'

this is why Workers & Resources: Soviet Republic is the best city builder sim, because it actually models each individual car as matched to each family, and models the actual transit from home to work, and the need for parking, such that it accurately models the painful lesson that if you try to move to a model of private car ownership, even as few as a hundred cars will start choking the gently caress out of your streets

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

bikers where I live are refusing to use the new bike lines that the local council installed because they are used to riding 3 to 4 abreast and they think it's unfair that they are expected to ride in single file

Glenn's cyclists right

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

hailthefish posted:

I love a bike lane that's just painting little bike glyphs on the shoulder of the road,

Bike witchcraft

Circle of protection: cars

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

e-trikes are gaining popularity here in the Philippines because:

A. don't require gas
B. stable enough to ride relatively safely by everyone
C. roomy enough for multiple people to ride (ergo, families)
D. don't require any license (legal loophole)
E. large and fast enough to be taken on a lot of roads

the most basic model there on the left costs about 35,000 PHP, or 630 USD, while the one on the right costs about 1,000 USD

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know how prevalent this is in other countries, but one of the evolutions of the ride-share app in the Philippines, beyond Uber / Lyft*, has been ride-sharing of motorcycles

that is, you book it like you would an Uber, but you ride in the back of a motorcycle - part of the sales pitch is that this is even faster than taking an Uber because you get all the little swerves and scooching around traffic that a motorcycle affords, but the underlying economic angle is that there just aren't enough people driving car ride-shares to keep up with the demand, especially after 2020-2021 jumbled up traffic and public transportation, and then now that everything has opened back up in 2022

as a final bit of context, even well before "ride-sharing" became a thing, there is a practice in the Philippines called "habal-habal", which literally translates to "for hire" - this was the practice of motorcycle drivers waiting along busy spots in the metro, such as outside of malls, or right outside of churches on Sundays, or even certain locations in rural areas that don't have any other access to transportation, and arranging one-to-one deals with people to drive them to wherever they were going. It was considered different from any other kind of public transportation, such as passenger jeepneys or even tricycles, because even tricycles have organized terminals and fare rates and driver unions, whereas "habal-habal" was called such because it was a fly-by-night operation

anyway, traffic has been cataclysmically bad this holiday season, primarily because this has been the first Christmas with most of the COVID [mobility] restrictions lifted, and one of the things I've noticed people are complaining about more and more is the return of "habal-habal"

specifically, the motorcyclists are turning off their ride-sharing app, and then hanging around outside of a mall, and then contracting one-on-one with people trying to get home, with a fare charged only by the driver themselves - usually at a significant mark-up over what the app will ask of the customer (and with the driver getting to keep 100% of it)

and this "works", because there are so many people needing a ride, from a known location, that the app is no longer necessary to link a commuter to a driver - the driver simply goes to where he knows lots of people are, and those people are then so desperate to get out that they take the deal

the public then complains about the drivers engaging in this behavior, which I can understand, but it's also fascinating from a certain perspective because it represents a multi-factorial breakdown: the ride-sharing services invented themselves specifically to exist outside of the reach of government regulation, and even go so far as to include "flexibility" in their pitch to prospective drivers, ergo, it's an app that you can turn on-and-off at-will so that you can simply "drive on the side", but now that the drivers are actually making use of the lack of obligation to work straight shifts of driving, that this is then considered unreasonable

indeed, these drivers are often wearing company-branded shirts and helmets in order to distinguish themselves as working for/under that company, in much the same way that your water company will tell you to only let the people wearing water company uniforms to enter your home, which gives commuters a certain impression, but in fact they're still under the "independent contractor" framework pioneered by Uber / Lyft

___

* to be clear, Uber left the Philippines entirely around 2019, and there's just one ride-sharing firm left here, "Grab", which originated in Malaysia and has since expanded to most of Southeast Asia. When I say "take an Uber", I'm actually referring to booking a ride on the Grab app, but I'm using the verb form since I know we still understand each other.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

You'd think you'd learn by now.

Learn to carry ninja rocks.

CSPAM is never going to beat the playtime is OVER allegations

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm on perma-wfh but my wife has to come in to the office thrice a week and I gotta drive her and it's a huge drag when the traffic's so bad that a 9 kilometer drive turns into an hour-long slog

so I empathize with PFC

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
For sale: brake pads, never used

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Banks were the first establishments to have drive-thrus - restaurants only adopted the idea

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://mobile.twitter.com/ai6yrham/status/1609396812527566852

Hey uhhhhh what happens when people get stuck in the Donner Pass

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Love that the war on cars has escalated to bringing back the anti-tank ditch

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Clark Nova posted:

happily, truck mindset precludes just taking your time through it

more people need to play Snowrunner

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I did my groceries yesterday using my bike

Felt good

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is the number of people killed by bikes even statistically significant? It's not like there's a cyclodomor being perpetrated in city streets

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
ran out of vinegar doing meal prep at 9 PM last night, so I put on a jacket and some shoes, and walked one block to the 24/7 supermarket around the corner from my building, bought some vinegar, and walked back

it was nice

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Same, but basmati rice and the Indian corner store. I make a lot more Asian food these days because the only two walkable grocery stores are East and South Asian (and because it is delicious)

oh god basmati rice is excellent but it's also expensive so we only have it judiciously

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

eXXon posted:

Murderous car drivers shouldn't go to jail, they should just be sentenced to wear Lycra shorts and tops for the rest of their lives and not be allowed to drive anything faster than the cheapest shittiest ebike available.

a battery's too good for 'em

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
rode my bike today. 13 kilometers. january weather is nice

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/willnorman/status/1612758523599015937

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

vehicle vs. pedestrian

FIGHT!!!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the caption is a little overstated imo but here's a view of what it's like to ride around my city

https://twitter.com/JoshuaCAgar/status/1613438742488035328

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jesus how is that guy still alive

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/KrampusSnail/status/1614491362635952130?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Hell yeah

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Real hurthling! posted:

they got no plumbing toilets that you plug in and they cook the poo poo and piss into a brick you bury

Playtime is OVER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mystes posted:

The chauffeurian jihad