Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

https://twitter.com/onekade/status/1572353824450576385?t=tWb_4RcBoowLsDmvZ7qfXA&s=19

love my garbage transit system, top five in the US and takes 45-60 minutes to go 6 miles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

our area bikeshare program put a station around the block from where I live. we liked that because we use the bikes whenever it's a pain to have to worry about our own bikes.

the station was up on a curb about 2-3 feet off the road, about 15 feet past a slight curve in the road. some dipshit wasn't looking, missed the curve, ran up on the curb, and slammed their car into the bikeshare station, destroying it. it was out of commission for a few weeks before it was repaired.

shortly after they repaired it, maybe two weeks later, some dipshit wasn't looking, missed the curve, ran up on the curb, and slammed their car into the bikeshare station, destroying it. again.

while people were out there cleaning up the station and assessing the new damage, some dipshit wasn't looking, missed the curve, ran up on the curb, and slammed their car into the people at the bikeshare station.

I don't think they're putting it back in.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

we put in a bike lane that everyone hates, including the cyclists. this is clearly the fault of those ungrateful loving car-hating cyclists

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'd rather have a big utility sink somewhere than a half bath. They're so useful.

this guy has mod potential

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

ale wife station sounds cool

genericnick posted:

Italian Borat voice: my-a-wife

it's a fish

smells like your wife

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

spacemang_spliff posted:

I e honda'd a silverado

everyone stood up and cheered

i zangiefed your mom

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Stereotype posted:

so while I personally expended a huge amount of time and effort to responsibly do something with as small a footprint as possible and put in the work to leave no trace it doesn’t matter because the news found a bunch of people who didn’t do that.

drat, good thing a bunch of people in this thread rode their bikes to work.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

you went to the massive rich white techlib cosplay event and are getting super butthurt that C-SPAM is making fun of you for it

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

mawarannahr posted:

this is why you need a Harley??

neither is a motorcycle compatible with living, but it sounds like the 73 mph speed of one of the most popular 125 cc models would be just fine. guessing you're just scared people will think you're a wuss without your loud pipes.

I don't know what you are googling but the practical top end of basically any 125cc is going to be 50mph. plenty for city driving, rough on a highway, no chance on an interstate

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

just ride a bike, fatty

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Crossing guard posted at intersection with traffic signals sees no problem with car behavior

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

FlutieFlake posted:

Are there any data about whether it is safer to cross during the "walk" signal or to carefully look for an opening in car traffic and cross without regard for the signal?

I hypothesize that waiting for the signal to cross is often more dangerous. It urges you to cross during a short period of time whether or not it is safe, and it gives you the false sense that cars won't run you over.

I have had some close calls crossing legally during the walk signal because turning cars drove though the crosswalk without yielding to pedestrians.

Obviously depends a lot on the intersection and the timing of the walk lights. In a case where there's a shitload of turning traffic and the walk sign is only on when turning traffic has green, then there's really no "safe" time to ever cross that intersection.

The Boston area has a lot of intersections that stop all traffic for the walk signs and I appreciate that.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

silicone thrills posted:

A car hit a bus with 12 people on it and injured all 12 and the bus ended up going up on the sidewalk and hitting a woman and killing her.

All because of one piece of poo poo who shouldn't have been operating a car.

idk sounds like this wouldn't have happened if we didn't have buses

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Celexi posted:

couldn't she idk park and use the bathroom in the mall they were in?

quote:

“I was with my girlfriend, and she has had to pee herself due to the fact we were stuck for so long. Not ideal, but desperate times call for desperate measures,” he said.

“We didn’t think it was safe to leave the vehicle, so we [were] thirsty and hungry, and this is just a complete disaster.”

even better, there was someone there to take the wheel so they wouldn't even lose their spot in line

brilliant minds

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I had the choice between "pay $200" and "stop riding my bike" and I went with the latter. Bike fits need to be subsidized or something

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

spiritual bypass posted:

it does have a train so it can't be that carbrained

hahahahaha no

The worst places I've driven are Atlanta and LA and I don't think anywhere else in the US compares.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

The crosswalk by my house had another serious accident. There's a slight curve in the road and people who are staring at their phones will blow through the crosswalk, hop the curb, and either smash into a tree or utility pole. There had been a bike share station but that got obliterated twice before they permanently removed it. It can't be overstated how oblivious you have to be to get in an accident here, on a 30mph road with the slightest of curves next to a crosswalk with two flashing yellow signs

I cross this crosswalk every day when I go on a run so now I get to go yell at city council until they put in speed bumps, but in the meantime I've progressed from being angry at this happening to hoping the driver had the courtesy to die in the accident

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

crash not accident

crash not accident

crash not accident

crash not accident

It's me, I'm the carbrain

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

thanks for taking a dark joke and making it into weird posts screaming "I'm a psychopath" it's just what this thread needs

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Amtrak runs at "high speed" (Acela top speed is 150 mph although I don't know if it actually maintains it for very long) on the NE corridor if you're willing to pay $$$.

It doesn't get anywhere near it, too many crossings. It's about 30 minutes faster than the NE Regional between Boston-NYC or NYC-DC, and a lot of that is just because it makes fewer stops. So hooray, your Boston-DC trip takes 7 hours instead of 8 for the low, low price of $350.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Celexi posted:

The Accela only has a single crossing and that was some years back, I don't know if it still has that.

Maybe it's not crossings then, tracks or traffic or otherwise, it's still only hitting 150 mph in a couple places. I've only had one chance to take it because it's so expensive I can only use it for business travel and they normally want me on a plane for anything except BOS-NYC.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

can confirm that Brookline, Massachusetts is rich af

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Kei cars and trucks are great because they perform the basic function of getting your poo poo from point A to point B admirably, but are obviously completely impossible in the US because we demand more power and more size

there's tons of car traffic and a lot of the roads are tiny things with no sidewalks that aren't wide enough for two lanes of traffic, and yet it works fine and I felt safe running and biking on the roads because people don't drive like assholes

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Salt Fish posted:

I was reading about kei trucks and apparently they're total poo poo to drive and maintain and the reason they're banned for import (until they're antiques) is because they have no emission controls compared to a normal US car.

lol no they're banned for import because everything is banned for import, manufacturers and dealers don't want you to do it. that said, they definitely don't meet US safety standards, because US safety standards are way harsher because we drive like goddamn maniacs. they're designed for the Japanese market with exacting specifications.

they're great to drive in the right context, but that context isn't US roads. I often end up renting a Kei car when I need to drive in Japan, the speed limits everywhere except expressways are 60 kph or lower, and that's about how fast those things can move without starting to struggle a bit

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

eliminate helmet laws but make families pay to scrape the brains off the pavement. the true libertarian way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

lobster shirt posted:

if you need a car once a month just rent one, im sure thats cheaper than owning

yeah, I do a lot of trail running and we always used zipcars and rentals to get to trailheads on weekends when we lived in the city. depending on our itinerary it could be a pain in the rear end (we'd have to pick the car up the night before if it was a rental rather than a zipcar) but it was undoubtedly cheaper than ownership if that was the only thing we needed the car for.