Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

whenever i see a jeep behind me while im on my bike I know ive basically got a 1 in 2 chance of being literally assaulted by them in in some manner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3JUf7rldXw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

mystes posted:

The road to the right has like 6 lanes including turn lanes. You would die if you tried to bike there.

The problem is that probably MOST new roads (except for residential cul-de-sacs) created in the last several decades are garbage like that. You can't get anywhere without crossing tons of these. American traffic engineers think they're great.

There's a crosswalk here and multiple people still die going across every year, usually workers taking a bus to the poorly-placed stops. They don't even charge the drivers.

Apr 7, 2003

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Love to get assaulted by a fat slob and just take it like a helpless baby

Fighting back would have probably got the cyclist jailed

a few years back two cyclists were attacked by a driver on Butler St here and fought back with a lock. One got fifteen years.

https://bikepgh.org/message-board/topic/cyclist-sentanced-to-15-year-in-road-rage-incident/

Apr 7, 2003

Idk this sounds a lot different, it doesn’t say anything about them getting attacked either

That's essentially a cop press release, the driver got pissed off waiting behind them and tried to sideswipe them when he passed.

You don't get a fair shake as a cyclist around here, ever.

Apr 7, 2003

a modern Toyota Camry V6 accelerates faster off the line than a seventies Lamborghini did, I live right off a stroad that's become a drag race from light to light and people are constantly crashing and dying.

https://www.wtae.com/article/inbound-west-liberty-avenue-is-shut-down-after-vehicle-crashes-into-building-in-pittsburgh/36485867
https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/west-liberty-avenue-close-beechview-after-crash-brings-down-pole-wires/VCI3PXQDIRC63PJEFYXYIKL5SQ/
https://swlegalteam.com/pittsburgh-pa-one-hospitalized-after-violent-car-crash-outside-liberty-tunnels/

Maybe roads that were designed and metered in an era when 20 second 0-60 times were the norm should be redesigned.

Apr 7, 2003

mystes posted:

How do you think they should be redesigned?

lower speed limits, fewer lanes, actual traffic enforcement

there's zero reason for a commercial street running through a residential area to have four lanes where people hit 70mph between lights.

Apr 7, 2003

Downtown Pittsburgh incorporated traffic calming on Penn Ave by making it one way and converting the other direction to a bike lane and the inchoate frothing rage was incredible.

Apr 7, 2003

key word.

the cyclist in the video was literally slammed to the ground, you gotta defend yourself at that point .. not even on some macho bullshit but for fear of ending up dead or paralyzed. or you can just do nothing, reinforce the "cyclists are sissies" stereotype, and embolden other motorists

The driver flipped out on him for filtering to the light too. That’s all it took. The cyclist filtered to the light because another cyclist had died on that same stretch of road a few months before in a squeeze crash.

Apr 7, 2003

As it is the cops here don’t enforce traffic laws at all anymore and every time I go out I see speed racer stuff. Last Saturday I saw some guy in a Charger shoot right across two lanes of traffic to use an on ramp + gore zone to pass at high speed. Would be nice if we didn’t sell people 400 horsepower cars to do that poo poo.

Apr 7, 2003

Cars as they exist now are a dumb technical solution to let humans move at over 130 mph. Makes u think

Apr 7, 2003

mystes posted:

Real trains are the best but I can't get over the fact that we had electric trolleys loving everywhere 100 years ago and got rid of them and now it's like "oh we're struggling to get better batteries so we can use electricity to move people around, please save us Elon Musk"

Pittsburgh had a fleet of 670 electric trolleys in the early sixties and we threw them away. Lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R80XZBAsK7w

Apr 7, 2003

Thinking about fishmech arguing that the minimum lot size in any city should be set at a quarter acre

Apr 7, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

Do tires also contain petroleum derivatives? I couldn't remember. I know asphalt's one

modern tires are mostly plastics

Apr 7, 2003

i hate this loving state

Apr 7, 2003

A few years back I was crossing Stanwix with the light at this intersection:

Dude turning right on red nearly hit me, when I waved to him he screeched "gently caress YOU" at me and drove around me, and ran the light at Penn. If his windows weren't down I'd have never been able to make eye contact with him or even see who nearly killed me.

You know he went home and told his wife that someone jumped out in front of him too

Apr 7, 2003

PeterCat posted:

My wife and I had a very small wedding and spent the money we had saved up for a honeymoon in Italy.

Mama mia!

Apr 7, 2003

Oolb posted:

I think we should ban cars and force people to be self-sufficient. After all, if you can't make-do without a CAR you're basically a tiny-little weak un-masculine bitch baby who probably deserves to loving DIE. I think this is reasonable, because this is essentially the gist of America's social policy towards like 90% of it's population anyways.

Our modern car-centric development policies have only been a thing since WW2 ended and there are living Americans who remember a time when even small cities had comprehensive public transit.

Apr 7, 2003

I appreciate the big paragraph about how cars suck, all you really need to do is spend an hour in your car to go six miles in normal traffic when you’re not used to doing that, it really makes me want to kill myself.

I could not imagine spending three hours a day of my life, every day, sitting in traffic. What a loving waste. Imagine retiring and realizing at 65 years old that you’ve spent four years of your life just sitting in your car driving to and from work.

Apr 7, 2003

actionjackson posted:

yeah walking is cool if you are close, for everything else US city layouts demand a car

Believe it or not, the built environment is not ordained by god and human beings can invest in changing it.

Apr 7, 2003

I live just south of the Liberty Tunnels and the traffic jams are just all day all the time now.

Apr 7, 2003

It's cool how we developed tools to destroy the world before we developed a way to understand what would destroy the world. Good poo poo. Anyway, what's up with this 'great filter' talk

Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

one of the fun things is everyone far and wide is recognizing how absolutely psychopathic drivers have become last 3 years and yet we are still so far from any sort of action and improving alternates that we probably have a decade or more of increasingly worse status quote psychopathy before we just collapse. let’s hope $10gal prices might force improving and building transit and keep peds safer but I doubt it

just increasing hell until collapse

I cannot drive anywhere without seeing some maniac do something murderous in their car and I can't tell if it's because covid-19 causes brain damage, if people are acting out because they can tell everything is unraveling, or a combination of both.

I truly, genuinely hate having to drive anywhere anymore. I've seen people threaten violence over line jumping at the McDonalds drive-through.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud has issued a correction as of 16:16 on May 7, 2022

Apr 7, 2003

Lastgirl posted:

lol that smog from cars, incredible

People were surrounded every day by evidence of how incredibly destructive our way of life was and they did nothing about it. lol

Apr 7, 2003

distortion park posted:

Saw someone in an imported F-150 and lol those things are loving huge. I doubt it could even get through the town centre it was so big

The F-150 and Dodge Ram, by themselves, have caused pedestrian crash death rates to go up since 2010. Turns out that getting hit by a car as tall as you are is bad.

Apr 7, 2003

Kicked Throat posted:

iasip has a podcast. this episode has multi-millionaire celebrity rob telling the story of getting out of his vehicle with his kids inside to confront an in-n-out drive thru line cutter lmao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se5scESKZqE

Yeah, this poo poo is why someone’s gonna get shot in a drive through and I don’t want to be there when it happens.

Apr 7, 2003

Gonna get worse when the MTA is allowed to fall apart because rich people don't use it.

Apr 7, 2003

Blackhawk posted:

I'm just desperate for some kind of legislative movement around the world towards light electric vehicles,

I dunno about NZ but in the US electric golf carts are extremely popular in retirement communities in Florida because old folks love to hop into the cart and go get shitfaced. Some retirement communities are built around golf cart paths.

You'd think the country would learn a lesson from that but of course not.

Apr 7, 2003

good thing that electric cars don't use any petroleum products

Apr 7, 2003

leftist heap posted:

I've never been in a modern pickup truck but I don't know how you can see gently caress all in the driver's seat. The hood is so loving tall and you sit so far back from the front of the car. I already thought most modern sedans were bad I don't know why anyone wants to drive like that.

Might have been posted here but behind the wheel of a Tahoe you can’t see an average sized five year old until they’re fifteen feet away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDH3FDfVQl0

The framing here is amazing

Apr 7, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

Most of Amsterdam is newer than many American cities.

In the US we don't rebuild or modernize areas, we just build a new place ten miles up the road for rich people and everyone else gets their old neighborhoods once they move.

Apr 7, 2003

Aphex Twin truck

Apr 7, 2003

This is for ONE (1) intersection being closed to repair a crosswalk + surrounding concrete for a few weeks.

You can't close anything for maintenance around here because business owners whose traffic is 90% generated on foot will complain that cars have nowhere to park or drive while the work is ongoing

Apr 7, 2003

It's all foot traffic!! No one drives to that street to eat! It's all office workers walking over!!!!

Apr 7, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Based on my early teenage years I would assume it became a biker thing because it makes people mad and that's inherently funny and cool somehow.

hells angels were the original shitposters

Apr 7, 2003

Now, as a dentist in the 2020's, you can decorate your $40,000 motorcycle just like those returning GIs did

Apr 7, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

lol I'm guessing the car is inoperable if the dashboard mediatainment screen dies?

Denso sells entertainment systems that control the entire car. My Subaru has one

They die gracefully and permit vital functions like the backup camera to continue to work in a failure situation

I suspect that whatever trash tesla sourced doesn't work as good as the Denso systems

Apr 7, 2003

If you play enough japanese video games on PCs you'll see people bitch about how japanese programmers just don't know how to do computers right

The Denso cockpit control poo poo I've seen says otherwise, I've never seen a vital car system fail. Sometimes it may take six seconds for my XM stereo to start. That's fine.

Apr 7, 2003

Horace posted:

same. i rented a peugeot where you had to go through the touchscreen to turn the heater fan down a bit and it was so slow and awkward, and required my complete attention, that I couldn't believe it made it through the cars development. and this to replace a control that was intuitive, fast and able to be used blind in almost all older cars.

Saab had the right idea, if you can't tell what the control does while wearing gloves and watching the road the control is poorly designed.

Apr 7, 2003

EVs aren't a solution. The planet cannot continue to withstand the resource extraction and destruction associated with building 76 million automobiles a year regardless of what powers them.

The only solution is to return to pre-1940s patterns of living and building out our habitats but no one wants to say it because it's political suicide - despite the fact that people prefer those environments when they're let loose in them in a politically-neutral fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

The city I live in had a clean electric fleet of over 650 trams in 1962

they were all thrown away and the tracks were all dismantled. Many of the trams in question (PCC cars) were sold to systems in other countries and still operate

The measures we need to take were SOP not that long ago but it is political suicide to suggest we go back to them