Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Platystemon posted:

I, too, wish this, but the only counters are “how many people do you know with long COVID?” and “gee it sure would be inconvenient if this were true”.

Every time there’s a number, it’s just awful.
”They’d tell us if things were as bad as you say!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

lol that there is not a single word in the media about 1,000,000 people dead from covid

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

tenderjerk posted:

I'm telling yall, republicans are going to hammer dems on doing a poor job with covid during midterms, it's suddenly going to matter if deaths start climbing and are picked up by the media

and its going to work

This is 100% why the GOP is doing their damndest to kill their own constituents and the Dems are actively helping them

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I've put in for a day off on April 13th, gonna hit the strip club before the next wave hits us

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Platystemon posted:

[COVID] Every time there’s a number, it’s just awful.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Checked a local poopwater graph and it only updates every 7 days

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

mags posted:

goblin mode sounds pretty legit right now, ngl

yeah, imma need two Kukris for that

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

This is 100% why the GOP is doing their damndest to kill their own constituents and the Dems are actively helping them

"They said they were gonna shut down the virus and it's only gotten worse!"

and they'll be right! lol

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

tenderjerk posted:

I'm telling yall, republicans are going to hammer dems on doing a poor job with covid during midterms, it's suddenly going to matter if deaths start climbing and are picked up by the media

and its going to work

and it is going to be hilarious watching checkmark libs flailing to justify the deaths

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

and it is going to be hilarious watching checkmark libs flailing to justify the deaths

Oh that's easy. They'll point to the massive savings in Social Security payouts. Crisis solved!

Apr 7, 2003

7,500 deaths 3/15 - 3/22 according to that article. They had to revise it because they undercounted by over 2,000 in the initial release.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Iron Crowned posted:

I've put in for a day off on April 13th, gonna hit the strip club before the next wave hits us

:popeye:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Gio posted:

lol that there is not a single word in the media about 1,000,000 people dead from covid

if you Google "us covid deaths" it stills says 973k lol

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'd been content to pretty much go without any updates on COVID because I'd settled into a pretty good routine of isolation combined with strict masking (P100 elastomeric supremacy). Checking the thread today was... not great.

gently caress.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Testvan posted:

the antivaxxers have completely won, it is their world now

https://twitter.com/business/status/1506826156007464964

kyrie is a tremendous piece of poo poo and i hate him

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

The media and government will work hard to ensure a bow is never placed on 1m deaths, because that's a tangible number you can point to, and joe biden and the cdc and the media apparatus sure don't want you pointing at that number

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

triple sulk posted:

kyrie is a tremendous piece of poo poo and i hate him
literally a flat earther influencing public policy, loooool

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The White House says the lack of new congressional funding means it won't be able to purchase a
second round of boosters for the general public, should federal regulators authorize another dose of
the vaccine. Pfizer Inc. and partner BioNTech SE have asked the Food and Drug Administration to
approve a fourth dose -- or second booster shot - for people 65 years and older, while Moderna Inc.
has sought approval for an additional booster for all U.S. adults.

Administration officials say they also expect the funding issue to impact the supply of monoclonal
antibodies. They are also closely monitoring a new variant, BA.2, that has triggered an increase in
cases overseas.

"Our concern right now is that we are going to run out of money to provide the types of vaccines,
boosters, treatments to the immunocompromised and others free of charge that will help continue to
battle" the pandemic, White House press secretary Jen Psaki said Monday.

Corrections & Amplifications: States in the last week reported more than 7,500 Covid-19 deaths,
according to data compiled by John Hopkins University. An earlier version of this article included a
statement from the American Hospital Association that misstated the number of deaths as nearlv
2.000. (Corrected on March 22)

This article is being republished as part of our daily reproduction of WSJ.com articles that also
appeared in the U.S. print edition of The Wall Street Journal (March 23 2022)
(END) Dow Jones Newswires

March 23, 2022 02:32 ET (06:32 GMT)

God drat it. Let me cram shots into my young and healthy arms.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Lol it asymptotically approaches but never reaches 1 million

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Zugzwang posted:

Man, it’s one thing to know in the abstract that a ton of damage is going to be done by “mild” cases before society acknowledges how bad things are, if it ever does. But seeing it start to play out in reality is something else entirely. Hospitals not requiring staff to mask, airlines probably dropping mandates soon, ensuring that all our kids in school and their families get it, etc. And always the same loving gaslighting from the same ghouls.

I don’t even know what kind of reckoning there can be if millions and millions of people are too wrecked from long covid to do anything.

lol that we gave that money to the Pentagon instead. Same poo poo we do every year.

The hospital part might be the worst. They are straight up just not giving a gently caress about spreading COVID to patients so anyone that is remotely high risk or even who just wants to avoid COVID in general has to decide if a given procedure or screening is worth the risk. They do this poo poo and then have the audacity to complain about people deferring care or not getting stuff taken care of. It's because of their own policies!

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Zugzwang posted:

I don’t want to be right about this, and I hope I’m not! I would love to be able to do normal stuff again, even things as simple as going to a friend’s house without worrying whether their kids brought this poo poo home from school. But I haven’t seen much of anything that’s made me feel sanguine about the situation.
loving same.

Apr 7, 2003

Testvan posted:

the antivaxxers have completely won, it is their world now

https://twitter.com/business/status/1506826156007464964

The antivaxxers won the minute the neoliberal media both-sides'd them and gave them a microphone and airtime.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

And it won't until November!

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Around 100-110bpm without the meds and up to 136(that I've recorded anyway) after taking them. Seems bad! It's like I do all that yoga and meditating for nothin'. It used to be lower, though I had the luxury of not needing to pay attention to it.

Nocturtle posted:

My resting heart rate went up measurably during my "mild" COVID infection and then a few times during the fun delayed onset symptoms period. In every case it went back to almost normal although still a few bpm higher, but it can take a little time. Maybe it will also improve for you?
I hope so! Thanks for sharing, I'm glad to know you experienced some improvement with your symptoms and here's to them not returning. Maybe I just need to give it time. Probably a good idea to keep my doc posted at any rate.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Pink Mist posted:

Lol it asymptotically approaches but never reaches 1 million

Asymptomatically approaches.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

My in laws lived their life completely normal until Omi caught up with the MIL and somehow never got my FIL (or at least he was asymptomatic), and 2 weeks later they were back to restaurants. For many people like them COVID has always been over and no level of cases could get them to care.

Given that we are unlikely to a surge to a peak as high as Omi, and that a ton of people have gotten COVID and “just have a cough” there is absolutely no hope of ever implementing some level of control or perceiving it as a crisis anymore in the zeitgeist.

1 million dead, 2 million dead? They were probably old people with <fill in ur favorite preexisting condition here> or probably not vaccinated or something. Disabled? Immunocompromised? Since when has the government cared about them? They can’t even handle treating physically able minorities equally, and now you want them to care for someone who they think can’t help number go up? Ridiculous - in this house we say “Open Biden”

Vote.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

everything is going to be all right

think you meant to write alt right

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Sex Arse of Calais posted:

Around 100-110bpm without the meds and up to 136(that I've recorded anyway) after taking them. Seems bad! It's like I do all that yoga and meditating for nothin'. It used to be lower, though I had the luxury of not needing to pay attention to it.

I hope so! Thanks for sharing, I'm glad to know you experienced some improvement with your symptoms and here's to them not returning. Maybe I just need to give it time. Probably a good idea to keep my doc posted at any rate.

I've seen several doctors say that one way to resolve long covid symptoms is to get 6 weeks of rest after the infection resolves. No exercise, no work, etc, just rest.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

zegermans posted:

lol there was an episode on Chapo where they complained for like 5 straight minutes that masks on airplanes don't work because "it's a hermetically sealed tube"

Chapo is dumb about masks and Covid in general.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Crazyweasel posted:

My in laws lived their life completely normal until Omi caught up with the MIL and somehow never got my FIL (or at least he was asymptomatic), and 2 weeks later they were back to restaurants. For many people like them COVID has always been over and no level of cases could get them to care.

Given that we are unlikely to a surge to a peak as high as Omi, and that a ton of people have gotten COVID and “just have a cough” there is absolutely no hope of ever implementing some level of control or perceiving it as a crisis anymore in the zeitgeist.

1 million dead, 2 million dead? They were probably old people with <fill in ur favorite preexisting condition here> or probably not vaccinated or something. Disabled? Immunocompromised? Since when has the government cared about them? They can’t even handle treating physically able minorities equally, and now you want them to care for someone who they think can’t help number go up? Ridiculous - in this house we say “Open Biden”

Vote.

Yep. I argued with my dad about COVID over the weekend, and according to him 90% of hospitalizations are unvaccinated. To libs, despite the fact that effectivity wanes after 90 days, and my roommate's triple vaxxed sister got hit bad by it recently, COVID is a disease of the unvaxed.

My parents went out to eat for their anniversary last night, I'm sure this weekend they'll tell me how they didn't catch COVID there.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

moist turtleneck posted:

https://twitter.com/chenweihua/status/1506925207755399172?t=MzlyuqAfq9ceejZcYR6BYQ&s=19

I understand Biden being a doofus but why would the other leaders not be cautious (because they have super drug I guess)

they're afraid to mask because if covid isn't over then they're really loving up

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

NeonPunk posted:

I've seen several doctors say that one way to resolve long covid symptoms is to get 6 weeks of rest after the infection resolves. No exercise, no work, etc, just rest.

Goons are always watching out for asymptomatic infection.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/dwallacewells/status/1506949665383661573

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

NeonPunk posted:

Like so many other problems in life, it could be solved if I could just settle down :v:
Thank you very much for this, I have heard it as well and will try to do some reading on it. Extra downtime is gonna be really hard though. I need to fidget to think. I spend most of my work day on a yoga ball. Welp, these are all solvable problems, and if they ain't, oh well. Sinatra that's life dot gif.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
How would you even know if the average American was suffering from Long COVID, or was instead just suffering from having the health of the average American?

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Clicking it makes you immediately die of with COVID.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Chamale posted:

"We think the price is worth it" - Madeleine Albright on killing 500,000 children in an unsuccessful attempt to cause regime change in Iraq

"AAAAAAAGH IT BURNS" - Albright, in hell

This belief in eternal repercussions for your actions somewhere else is cope. No justice, just us.

Apr 7, 2003

This is how diabetes causes eye and vascular damage, literally little sharp sugar crystals in your bloodstream at high levels floating around cutting the gently caress out of everything

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

How would you even know if the average American was suffering from Long COVID, or was instead just suffering from having the health of the average American?
it's true, being American is a preexisting condition

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

NeonPunk posted:

A guy on youtube that I follow for fitness advice was doing a 10,000 kettlebell swing challenge. He got covid in the middle of it and took about half a day off. I'm a little worried about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

I just checked my heart rate while reading this thread and it was 57bpm, an amazing feat all things considered

covid stay the gently caress away