Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lol, the page select drop down of doom claims another megathread

all hail the new thread, same as the old thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the old thread getting gassed is v funny, imho

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

wasn't rated 5

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the roni

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

stopping me from getting a booster is anti-semitism

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's really hard to convey just how much worse customers at almost any customer-facing retail/service job have gotten since March 2020

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Even I'm just guessing at this point and I knew tons of people in the field and every single one has bailed for better jobs or just differently bad ones. These people crying to the papers and the Chamber of Commerce don't get that they're competing with lovely gig work and lovely boring call center/data input jobs, not federal UI benefits

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Business Gorillas posted:

me, pushing WFH $16/hr lovely boring call center/data input jobs with full benefits in the covid thread: :grin:

if it ever goes nationwide like you said it might you may wanna get a referral bonus set up beforehand and get it stickied or buy an ad

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

here's a little lifehack for any phone jockeys looking to improve their customer reviews - if you get an old southern lady on the phone, start talkin about food and cooking

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Stereotype posted:

I don't understand how everyone is just resigned to get this deadly pandemic virus. viruses can be really bad! This is one of those! It fucks up your lungs really bad and those are important for a whole ton of things.

It's revealing a truth that most healthcare workers have known for some time, and that's that most people have never actually had the flu and only thought they did when it was a minor cold or allergies even

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Business Gorillas posted:

i actually accepted a job in recruiting* today and i already have a bunch of former kitchen workers i'm lining up to get JOBS JOBS JOBS

* - my job is independent from me wanting all my goons to keep their lungs clean. you also won't get the Business Gorillas Resume Support if you apply through the website and don't talk to me. please do NOT talk about poofing cheezers in any interview at my company trying to suss me out

those are the best gossip networks you can get an in with in your case I think, if you get one and they're happy with their lot they'll tell everybody and before long you'll be cleaning out whole restaurants

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Stereotype posted:

man you guys sort of said what i was going to say already. glad we're all on the same page here.

lol

lmao

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ONLY YOUR RESPIRATOR TRUST

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

yeah I'm a DBA

Dick
Butt
Aficionado

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lol county level numbers released because it's Wednesday. poo poo is lookin bad, we just had like 40,000 students fly in this week for the start of classes too, and despite everything we're doing the best in the entire state. Week to week cases per 100k has been +50% every week for awhile now, over 90% of it delta

we're all so, so tremendously hosed lmao, oh and my buddy's elementary schooler is at home with a fever

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lol that "Cuban doctors are slaves!" thing is still going around? It fuckin rules because everybody who whines about it just ends up describing a boring employer/employee relationship and can't even find one of the doctors who is angry at the setup. It always comes down to them seeing medicine being treated like a skilled trade without any limits on enrollment and central deployments in the vein of any other skilled contractors as literal slavery.

If those doctors had absolutely nothing about their situations changed at all but they were being contracted by HRW with them taking an equal share of the agreed upon fees they'd be perfectly fine with it even.

Der Meister posted:

do Walmarts have that many lanes purely because of November and December?

at this point it's probably just an excuse to have a socially invisible way to have all but two guarded aisles between the product and the exit

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

you shoppin around for a new job yet aspiro or asporo or whatever

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

a blue ocean is the natural state of ocean, everything perfect and as it should be

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

brugroffil posted:

It was my wife's first day back in the classroom with students today.

On her way home, she got an email that she'll need to do hybrid teaching starting tomorrow as one of her students that was in class today will now be quarantining.

I'm sure the school has a robust and well-provisioned IT department to deal with 20 new classes having to go hybrid every other day lmao

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

good morning

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

your filters probably have a code on them you can double check with the manufacturer's site to make sure they're legit

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

trusting the science is fine, just don't trust the CDC lol. I'm sure there's lots of serious professionals doing good work within it, but every part that is public facing or policy guiding is 100% political and unmoored from "the science"

trust the authorities in countries that have actually crushed COVID, imho

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I liked how in the middle of her thread on respirators, Naomi Wu as politely as she could responded to people citing CDC stuff by pointing out that they had been wrong about absolutely everything this entire time so maybe please don't consider them a good source for planning, I need to revisit that to see if anybody got all pissed at her

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

now that's a page that would give me confidence in the findings, I was speaking more in a general sense than about any specific study tho

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Thoguh posted:

I think the difference is that "trusting science" means you trust data, analysis, the scientific method, etc. The C-SPAM COVID thread trusts science. But "Trusting The Science is just religious deflection to the people that you have declared to be the authorities and worshipping whatever they say as the unilateral truth, and the moment that truth changes as declared by the authorities you immediately change and never acknowledge they ever said anything different. The D&D Covid thread Trusts The Science.

The GBS thread trusts Joe Rogan.

the best litmus test would probably be to ask someone if they think Emily Oster's advice constitutes actionable "science"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Lol same.

Love to hear HR loudly talking about people who have covid but not a single email or announcement that everyone in the office has been exposed.

Can I sue the poo poo out of them for reckless endangerment if I get covid?

Last person I heard about who tried, the judge said she had a more or less slam dunk case but refused to hear it on the grounds that it would be too disruptive

I suspect that the first person to get past that barrier sees an immediate escalation to SCOTUS who formalizes that

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If business gorilla's company starts hiring in every state, he's gonna finally have enough money to get through that plexiglass barrier at the business enclosure

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

KlavierVogel posted:

Welp I had a disgusting thing happen to me today! I went to my employer's "employee appreciation picnic" at the local amusement park and, while riding the tamest super-old wooden rollercoaster, I got pegged IN THE EYE with a giant wad of phlegm or snot or something. It happened while going through a dark tunnel, so it was like a horror movie or something: I felt something wet hit my face, I reached up to wipe it away and I'm like OMG STICKY. There was so much... It got all in my hair too :gonk: I was wearing a KN95 (of course) but I had contacts in instead of my normal glasses... If I get sick from this, man, I can't even.

hmm, gross

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

IAMKOREA posted:

you guys are giving out monoclonal antibodies at libraries? what the gently caress is going on?

DeSantis and his donors get a cut of every dose that gets sold

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

uh....we kind of need that rear end in a top hat to stay alive

don't worry, nobody in the Senate who catches it is gonna get so much as a cough

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Joementum posted:

As another person who works in enterprise IT, I can confirm that the actual way that any issue gets addressed is to ignore it and hope it goes away, then when someone notices, ask them to do more research into solutions. Repeat this cycle until the person asking gives up.

look buddy the guy at the apple store said this machine would work perfectly with your systems, who's your manager? I need to talk to someone who has a clue what they're doing

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Beans!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

uber_stoat posted:

i still have too many beans. i should just start mailing them to random people.

Fill little bags of them with a couple beans and send them to randos in China in response to the seed thing last year

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Isentropy posted:

semi related - what do you think got the gravity of the situation across to Americans?

like I'm thinking the NBA stopping did a lot more to get people to realize this wasn't going to be like Ebola or SARS-1

If you had family in China or Italy you knew, but outside of that...

It was the NBA and nothing else, and wouldn't have been anything else for awhile. That moron licking the microphone to prove viruses arent real or whatever saved more lives than the CDC

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

osprey posted:

my job sent me a grubhub gift card in lieu of buying me lunch, since i wfh

it's a kind gesture i guess but i don't want to give any money to the restaurant industry anymore. i don't want to support employees getting fed into the grinder to make burgers pop out of the burger hole

what the hell do i do with this thing

Buy something cheap and use the rest as a tip? Exchange it for drugs?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

smoobles posted:

what's "covid"

Some kinda bird

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

One of the most revealing things about this pandemic has been finding out just how many people think they've had the flu but have not, and how many more dont seem to really *get* pneumonia and assume it's no big deal

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It means lungs are frowny face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

osprey posted:

about 20 years ago, i remember someone coming through my granny's neighborhood and ordering that all of the citrus trees be chopped down. she was heartbroken to lose her beloved backyard citrus. they were trying to halt the spread, but they failed. i should have known it for an omen

that was Jeb!

he ordered all trees not owned by a big business to be torn down to prevent spread of some disease or another to them, it didn't endear him much to people