Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

FunkyFjord posted:

I mean it's multiple things right? It's that but also denial on top of super basic people poo poo, it's more fun to hang out with your friends and family on a regular basis and if you listen to the people tell you what you want to hear, that you don't have to change anything and its fine just fine, then that's how people choose to behave. I very obvious direct contrast to what we should be doing.

Most of my dumb chud family is unvaxxed “for health reasons” because “health decisions are a personal choice” and I’ve been trying to convince my mom to get vaxxed but it feels completely hopeless because there’s basically nothing I can say that can compete with the people around her telling her actually everything is fine and she’s doing everything right and since they’ve managed to not get covid yet that means they’re a cool little club of geniuses that outsmarted covid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Shear Modulus posted:

that was quick

Listen to me, we’ve traced the covid, it’s coming from inside the country

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Platystemon posted:

I would enrol in a challenge trial for an mRNA vaccine targeting B.1.1.529 immediately, provided certain ethical considerations were met. Chief among them is to perform antibody titration and exclude from challenge anyone with levels that could not reasonably be expected to protect them.

In a matter of weeks, we’d have a pretty good idea of safety and a lower bound on efficacy—not the gold standard of RCTs, but if participants are exposed and don’t get sick, it probably wasn’t the Grape Nuts they had for breakfast that protected them.

I’m down for this too except not fussed about ethical considerations, pump me full of whatever, vax me at horse levels idc

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Camped out for this flat screen tv, looking to trade for toilet paper at equivalent value obo

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

nexous posted:

welp just gonna pray that society holds up for 8 days so I can get married then spend the rest of my short life inside eating beans

I think considering the situation God might be flexible on the no sex before marriage rule.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I really appreciate goons trying to explain all this in layperson terms because I just keep looking at these virus chat tweets even though I’m too dumb to understand them.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

whiskey patrol posted:

Yeah. We were on course for a bad winter from delta alone. Concurrent omnicron and delta waves will break the healthcare system for sure. It's all perfectly timed for xmas to be a major super spreader event. COVID, apparently, has impeccable timing.

E: fb lol

I’ve been trying to convince my mom to get vaxxed even though it’s hopeless/interacting with her is the worst and logically I should keep trying but part of me is like, what if omicron is worse for vaxxed people and she gets vaxxed and blames me for her getting mega rona maybe I should just text her “lmao” and never speak to her again.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Had to go to Target today to get drugs and about half the customers were wearing masks up from zero customers wearing masks when I was there two weeks ago. Even saw some N95s. Gotta be a fluke.

e: oh but one guy pulled down his mask so he could cough more freely

Trixie Hardcore fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 2, 2021

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Why do they all look like variations on a template? Do furries all commission from the same tailor?

Bullfrog posted:

just like the full vaxx norwegian party. we are soo soo hosed.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1466945076437913601

No one in my friend circle has cancelled their holiday plans yet and act genuinely confused when I turn down invitations with “sorry we’re not doing indoor parties because of the pandemic”, after all we’ve all got our boosters, why not open Biden?

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Bullfrog posted:

yeah, so this is it then. the bad ending. we're all going to get it. some of us will die. others will live and have trouble walking up stairs or remembering things for the rest of their lives.

good luck goons

On the bright side everywhere will have to install ramps and benches and no one will expect you to remember anything or be on time.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Louisgod posted:

so why is every cluster hitting only vaccinated people? Seems everybody that’s being infected is boosted too.

It’s not?

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Wait, are we not all 45?

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
My N95 absolutely fucks up my hair and I hate it. Also sometimes I accidentally snap myself with the straps or knock my glasses off. Would love to look cute and be safe if at all possible.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Thinking of getting a DuPont Tychem 10000 so my hair stays cute and my lipstick doesn’t smear.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Stereotype posted:

actually it's bad when people die

Then I’ve got bad news for you.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
My friend group is currently planning a big indoor potluck this weekend. It’s making me feel completely insane; everyone in my immediate circle other than my husband is acting like covid has never been more over. What are these people thinking? They are all mediocre cooks at best.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Horizon Burning posted:

wait, so that 0.2 graph, is that saying that our current antibodies only have a 20% effectiveness against omicron?

More positive perspective.

Omicron has and 80% effectiveness against our current antibodies.

no lube so what posted:

they're not your friends
blow them off gracefully

I mean they are my friends, my dumb plague rat friends. Obviously we’re not going, I was being generous when I described the cooking as mediocre.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Literally no one doing soup swaps makes good soup, I guarantee it.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Dominate your friend group by bringing bread (and covid) to the soup swap.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Some of my friends got into baking bread at the beginning of the pandemic, it’s been nearly 2 years and their loaves are still trash. I don’t understand how none of them have gotten better at baking yet. We did a Christmas cookie swap and one of them made shortbread that tasted like a salt lick. Imagine getting covid at a party with food like that.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

gandlethorpe posted:

covid soup for the bruncher soul

1 star - none of the soups at the swap smelled like anything, completely flavorless

gandlethorpe posted:

At least they didn't adopt any puppies that they then put down when covid ended. Hopefully.

Two them had babies that they’re taking to a superspreader event soon but everyone’s dogs seem safe.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

It's impossible to make shortbread good tbf

I love shortbread but most everyone is bad at making it, usually because they don’t use good quality butter or they add extras to make it more interesting without knowing how to use flavors like herbs or florals properly. Even the bakeries around town make shortbread that taste like hotel soaps because they go overboard on florals.

Helith posted:

the gently caress is with all these souper spreader events recently?

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I understand people getting covid to go to a key party but what is the point in going to a party where you swap soup?

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I thought they gave Trump horse steroids and that’s why he survived and couldn’t stop dancing.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Just admit the soup is jizz, SoupNippleBOB

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

100,000 people died of drug overdose in the US in from 5/20 to 4/21. That's a new record and a 30% increase from the previous year. Definitely influenced by the botched COVID response and increase in despair/poverty. That's scary as poo poo. I don't expect the stats will be any better next year.
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hsph-in-the-news/drug-overdose-deaths-hit-record-high/

What percentage of this is cops brushing up against fentanyl?

You’d have to be crazy to use a virus as a weapon. Now a virus as an opportunity? That’s just being practical.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
The only side effect I definitely had with the vax was a sore arm. I might have gotten a little fatigued from my Moderna booster but could have been a normal amount of feeling lazy. I don’t know if that means my body is too dumb too learn anything or what but you could probably load me up with mRNA juice and I wish someone would.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Asproigerosis posted:

Antivaxxer coworker complained to HR that the unvaxxed have to get weekly testing and sheeple vax havers don't when you can still spread asymptomatically. It's just so tiring trying to engage these people, they are utterly incapable of understanding anything beyond the team games and that the vaccination is about doing everything you can to protect yourself, your coworkers, and your patients.

Maybe she’s talking about Omicron?

Doctor posted:

I legit feel like I have no real grasp over what's going on with COVID anymore. Everywhere I see outside of this forum is already posting that Omicron is nothing to worry about, Pfizer says just keep dosing up etc. Meanwhile in Canada we have zero plan to accelerate our booster shot rollout which will be another 3 months at least for people in my age range (30s). There's just been no talk about plans regarding omicron despite it already being confirmed to be present in every major population center in Canada. At the moment, my local COVID numbers are pretty low, but I am terrified to go out again should that number skyrocket at any given moment.

Currently I am back to working remotely but not due to the airborne brain damage plague going around, oh no, I'm working remotely because my university is under water. I have no loving clue what I'm going to do for Christmas. My family never really does anything crazy (we're British, lol) but sacrificing another year to COVID when I know full well that things will only get worse seems like a drat waste. In fact, I somewhat regret not making more use of the time during the variant "interval" periods. As they say, right now is the best things will ever be! On top of this, I've lost friends left right and center, not because they're anti-vaxxers or nonsense like that, but because we never loving see each other anymore and everyone is too busy dealing with the immediacy of problems that are right in front of their face. And I get it, it's really all any of us can do!

Meanwhile you see places like the UK is having an emperor has no clothes moment where government MPs are being outed for holding Christmas parties without social distancing while laughing at the general public, now trying to maintain moral authority while they institute COVID "Plan B" for the general public right before the holidays. THIS is the true face of our pandemic leadership in the western world.

It's absolutely batshit bonkers out there and how more people haven't absolutely lost their minds at the sheer absurdity of every waking moment of existence right now is totally beyond me.

WarEternal posted:

I'm a loving drop out moron that works in a kitchen for a living and I've learned more about virology in 2 years of a global pandemic than 99% of "reporters" whose job it is to cover this poo poo. I hate this dumb loving country.

I feel a million percent crazy about this all the time

Arivia posted:

i'm a disabled post-covid sufferer living under the poverty line with a heap of other inequities (including severe prolonged depression) and government oppression on top of me

yeah, life loving sucks sometimes

but i try and do what i can when i'm able to make my life and the lives of those around me: pleasant, good, or fulfilling in roughly that order

and we can be all doom and gloom about covid and that makes sense, but it doesn't stop us from having a good day with our pets, making a nice cup of tea, etc

we all deserve care and happiness ourselves, no matter our situation.

I agree but you’re talkin to the Joker, baby

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Arivia posted:

I’ve never encountered a version of the Joker that couldn’t stop for a second to relax (well maybe the Batman Who Laughs but that’s turbo-edgy)

The meme version of the Joker that posts entrepreneur quotes

mod sassinator posted:

it infects fat cells, drat what doesn't this virus do :stare:
https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1468743285678161922

Lmao covid is stored in the titers

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

SKULL.GIF posted:

when I lost my sense of smell for a month last year I kept "hallucinating" that I was smelling burning metal

turns out that's your default "smell" when you can't smell anything. astronauts experience this when they go into outer space or something

I bet that’s what the universe actually smells like.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Pretty sure my nose is in the universe

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Whatever the motivations of the GOP I think we can all agree that the main reason so many chuds refuse to take covid seriously is because Trump deals with anything difficult or icky by pretending it will go away so that’s what he did with covid and the reason they won’t wear masks is because Trump has a big fat face that looks worse in masks and would have messed up his foundation so he pretended they weren’t necessary.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Elea posted:

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3981711

These vaccines are the sole strategy of 5+ billion people right now. The vaccinated are being excused from whatever small testing measures those countries are willing to pursue as a little treatsy. Ever single "science-based" public health agency just absorbed that vaccines=immune from childhood and has absolutely no contingency plan for that not being true this time. The two years to build up testing as a major tool to fight the pandemic has only been deployed in a single country. Shits hosed man.

I shared one of the studies showing that vax won’t stop infection to my friend group and had several people aggressively explain to me that the vaccines have to be effective against infection because it’s for covid and that there’s not enough data to have any idea for sure anyway but it’s definitely effective and also there’s no way they can know stuff from testing in a lab because it’s not like they can just grow Omicron in a Petrie dish, they have to see how people react in the real world against the virus and that takes time, we have to wait on the data and not overreact when we don’t know anything but the good news is that all the cases are mild so far and then they linked a week old article about how Omicron would probably be mild. 30 mins later half the group started chatting about the indoor maskless party they’re throwing this weekend.
:ok:

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Paradoxish posted:

the good news is that omicron is spreading so fast that maybe everyone will be dead, sick, or recovered before they super spread for Christmas!

People are going to have Christmas meetups in the hospital parking lots once all the hospitals are full and they run out of room to board patients in the hallways. A lot of families get sick together so it’s just making the most of a less than ideal situation.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Petey posted:

this is going to be so bad and basically only you, a couple dozen of my closest posting pals, know it

[COVID] Cassandra Chat

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Helith posted:

https://twitter.com/theTiser/status/1469511402956017669

Sydney Opera House back of house staff member pops positive after working at the AACTA Awards

I don’t think you should go to work when you’re sick unless you might get to infect some celebs.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

AEMINAL posted:

any advice on how to cope with this situation that isn't hard liquor or Valium

I am seriously freaking the gently caress out

Talking to a therapist over telehealth at some point if you can. Otherwise…

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

count your breaths for a while and maybe sing with the room you're in for a bit. then chill and play some videogames or play with your pets if you have them.

This is good advice. Do whatever you can to make yourself feel secure (make sure you have masks, beans, living will, etc) and after that do things that connect you to something (spend time with a loved one, play with your pets, grow some plants, etc) and do things that you enjoy that occupy your mind (games, music, making stuff). Also, journaling can help slow your thoughts and vent. Breathing exercises, actual exercises, smelling nice smells, wearing comfy clothes, watching something you’ve seen before that you like, being really patient and kind to yourself. This is all legitimately horrible and traumatic, I am seriously freaking the gently caress out too.

If there’s someone in your life that gets it, talk with them. My friends & family are all in denial but my husband and my therapist get it and it helps to have another person that can acknowledge reality and commiserate.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I’ve been playing Sims 4 a lot lately. I turned off the ability for Sims to die, even if they want to. I turned all the ghosts back into alive people. No one is allowed out.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Cloaked posted:

and it’s not fun to do any activities unless we can do them exactly how we did them pre-pandemic. a request I made earlier on to watch a show together in a small group with masks (because for some reason doing a watch remotely would be too weird apparently, wtf) fell completely flat and they just started watching the show together without me a few weeks later. wouldn’t be quite the same if we had to wear masks, you know? nobody interested in hanging out on the outdoor covered porch thing I have access to, because that’d apparently also be weird. we didn’t do that before, right? and it’s cold now.

it is incredibly draining to be around fatalistic people that constantly politely imply or directly state that you are a liar or are crazy. so now I don’t, and so now the main friend group I have, which I thought was made up of responsible adults who did a good job of supporting each other throughout our lives up until this point, is mostly gone to me. sucks.

:same:

I keep getting stuck in this cycle of worrying about my friends and wanting to inform them in hopes they will act responsibly, not wanting the social fallout of sharing unwelcome information, doing it anyway because I convince myself that maybe one of them will care, getting immediate pushback and treated like I’m misunderstanding data/crazy, deciding I won’t share info anymore because I don’t want the social fallout, back to worrying about my friends and wanting to inform them.

No matter how gently and nonchalantly I deliver that info, not lecturing, not freaking out, just the most neutral delivery possible once every few months, will get me treated like I’m freaking out and then there’s a circle of reassuring each other that everything is fine. I recently shared data on the vax not preventing infection and encouraged my friends to wear N95s just in case and got roasted for being a dumb baby who doesn’t understand what I’m talking about. Almost all of them got 3 Moderna shots and call themselves Moderna Crew but somehow I’m the one being made to feel uncool.

My husband has been stuck in the cycle of trying to talk our friends into virtual or outdoor social gatherings only to have things cancelled or have two people show up. Things really fell off when his best friend got married and held a virtual reception only to find out half the friend group got invited to a secret in person reception that was happening in the house at the same time and any of us on chat got a half assed greeting and the realization that we’d all been secretly demoted as friends. Absolutely broke my husband’s heart. I’m pretty sure a huge chunk of our group has spun off to a separate chat where they can feel less awkward planning all the parties they never talk about but are definitely going to.

It’s especially depressing to find out how many of my friends are liars. They’ll act like they’re being responsible in chat and complain about chud anti maskers and make social media posts giving the illusion they’re being responsible only for me to see them in a group photo on a mutuals timeline at the maskless party. Like some of my friends are living dual lives and it really sours me to see it. Other friends are just completely silent or have left chat and have obviously gone back to their pre pandemic lives. I feel like a total social pariah that nobody likes because we wear masks and don’t go to indoor parties. It makes the loneliness of the pandemic so much worse.

Rescue Toaster posted:

It's simultaneously incredibly important to get together regardless of risk, but not worth any effort at all to take advantage of the tools we have to hang out virtually. Nothing is worth doing unless it's still being done precisely the way it was in 2019.

Insanite posted:

this right here has been driving me up the wall. recommending things that are "safer" like outdoor hangouts, dayhikes, snowshoeing, whatever--always ultimately dismissed or ignored because it's not sitting inside and watching movies or playing board games.

it's like making up for lost socialization isn't even the point--it's going through the motions of pre-pandemic life in spite of our reality now.

Why Am I So Tired posted:

I think our safety level makes it register to them on some level that their safety level isn't enough, so given that increasing their safety level is out of the question since that would get in the way of the life that they're used to / were promised, they have to attack ours.
My friends all agree that masks are good and should be worn as long as they are cute cloth masks they bought off Etsy and we can take them off at the party. N95s are really overdoing it and not necessary and harder to take off at the party. It’s okay to be maskless with strangers as long as you’re vaxxed and assume they’re vaxxed even though there’s no requirement. Masks are good as long as they’re not too good and you don’t need them if you’re hanging out with friends, you can trust your friends to not get covid and what is the point in even getting together if we’re all wearing masks?

holy poo poo this was posted 11 hours ago

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

papa horny michael posted:

i usually read both threads, but had been absent for a few days now. came back to catch up and it's really funny how insane that other thread has become in the face of omicron

I rarely read the other thread, occasionally I’ll think to check in on it and maybe join the convo but it’s always too crazy or they’re in the middle of big drama and I think I’ll check back another day when it calms down. I always thought it must just be bad timing on my part that every time I check on that thread it’s full of goons saying the craziest poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

BraveUlysses posted:

got an email from my parents

hey guess what is worse? dead parents or embarrassing masks?

Wow, I’m so sorry that your parents are such humongous shitbags, that’s crazy.

Someone looks stoked for the bloodshed.