Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Couldn't care less about the singleplayer but stupidly excited for Halo Infinite's multiplayer. It looks incredible and their approach to BTB sounds awesome with the increased playercount and pelicans dropping new vehicles on the map constantly, along with drop pods bringing even more toys down (that gigantic nail gun looks insanely fun). We've seen Slayer which looks excellent but BTB seems like it will really shine since 343 appear to have perfected the sandbox at this point. I just hope that we see some good map variety and regular additions each season. While some people are praising the aesthetic resembling more classic Halo, I am a huge fan of the visual variety with locations that 343 brought to the franchise and hope that is present in Infinite because they can craft some amazing environments.

Also, I don't know why this Nazi crap is being spewed here when that armor is for Halo 3 in the MCC and this is the Infinite thread, but I think it looks awesome and I hope they bring varied designs like that to Halo Infinite in the future. People are capable of enjoying playing space Barbie without being loving Nazis. Also, some of those designs remind me of Destiny armor which is cute after Bungie was taking cues from 343 and it's nice seeing both studios inspire each other. I think I saw a rumor that Bungie were trying to get a Halo weapon into Destiny as an exotic :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Shiroc posted:

gently caress you, this poo poo actually goddamn matters.

It does, but implying people are Nazis for liking non-Nazi cosmetic items in a video game in a thread that isn't even about that game is absurd and toxic. If that is your only contribution and your response is "gently caress you" to anyone who points out how vile it is then I think you should take a break from the internet and get some fresh air rather than being obnoxious to people on a video game forum.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

External Organs posted:

I'll probably play this when it comes out and I appreciate the nazi talk tbh because I did not know that particular appropriation and would like to not come off as a nazi in game.

It's not in the game so you don't have to worry about it, and even if it were you're going to struggle finding people that think you are one if you wear it.

Veotax posted:

It's being talked about in here because this is the only Halo thread, as far as I'm aware. The MCC thread got closed when this one was started.

The Halo MCC thread is open and available for posting in right now, so talking about it here is essentially just trolling and leading to confusion as seen with the poster I quoted above who thought the armor was present in Halo Infinite when it isn't.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Shiroc posted:

They're not trying to find out why the discussion was here in good faith, they are just trying to shut it down because they don't like it.

It's not good faith when you don't post about it in the appropriate thread and don't post about it in all the other threads for games that feature similar imagery. If you were sincere you would be, there's certainly more prominent targets for your ire. Instead all you can do is post "gently caress you" to someone pointing out the toxicity and now resort to a strawman, and that is definitely not indicative of good faith. You're seemingly determined to derail the thread into anger at a different game featuring cosmetic armor that resembles a crusader and really, you have a lot of threads to start posting in if that makes you so furious, and that's not even taking into account other co-opted imagery such as vikings etc.

Shiroc posted:

clownshoes poo poo.

Your insults to myself and the OP further highlight your lack of sincerity, you even got overly aggressive with them despite the work that they've put into creating a safe environment in the community whereas you've brought nothing but hostility. Seriously, give the trolling a break and stop with the petty tantrum because you were called out on your nonsense. I suggested taking a break earlier but for some reason you're eager to drag this out and disrupt the thread and nothing you are complaining about is even present in Halo Infinite :shrug:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Well I highlighted unwarranted aggression towards the OP despite them creating a safe space so I'm having trouble following your logic unless this is another attempt at a poorly thought-out snipe akin to your prior post that you were wise to edit. To clarify things however, this is what I'm referring to:

Agoat posted:

Yes, the armors are here. Yes, there are going to be times where people are going to be lovely with them. lovely people aren't new to Halo, but looking to label people as nazis over armor choice sure is.

You really aren't being part of any solution.

The idea that I don't get it is an absolute joke considering I literally put together a Halo community specifically because of the toxicity you get from matchmaking. I've spent well over a year crafting a literal "safe space" to learn without having to worry about being treated poorly.

Now that that's settled, how's about that Halo Infinite video game?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Do we know of any new vehicles yet? I really liked the mech that they introduced in Halo 4 and I hope that aspect of the sandbox has grown along with the rest of the game. There's a great deal of vehicles already (I think the trailer showed the Brute chopper returning from Halo 3 which is awesome) but they could certainly mix things up with different themes for different maps (e.g. Covenant, Brutes & Promethean) if they design for it. Given the campaign enemies I think they have a good opportunity to add more Brute vehicles.

...and once again I'll just say to give it a break :shrug:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

:barf:

Speaking of gross things, someone mentioned eSports earlier in the thread which reminded me of Breakout from Halo 5 which is genuinely awesome. Do we know if that's coming to Infinite multiplayer or being dropped? I imagine reverting back to more of a classic Halo feel might make Breakout feel odd since Halo 5 has such refined movement and controls but the whole mode and idea behind it was great, imo. Also an ideal setting for Forge maps rather than having them interfere with map rotation in standard playlists. I'm glad they're focused on Slayer & BTB but I think that Breakout would serve the hardcore eSports crowd well and be a good third pillar for the multiplayer segment of Infinite.

Also, given the updates we've heard about for Firefight in MCC and how awesome Warzone Firefight was in Halo 5, I imagine that's on the development roadmap? Hopefully it doesn't take too long to come to the game but I imagine they'll want a good variety of BTB maps available first. Would be great if we could see it within the first year of post-launch support.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Shame about Breakout but probably should have been clearer about hoping Infinite just gets a Firefight mode in general :v:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Happy Hedonist posted:

The appropriation poo poo sucks. My grandad was a fresh off the boat Norwegian strong man, like for circuses and crazy poo poo. He was awesome, the only trustworthy person in my childhood, and it sucks I can’t celebrate our heritage.

gently caress nazis and gently caress the stupid rear end white supremacists who co-opted the poo poo.

Please do not feel ashamed of celebrating your heritage because some Nazi scum co-opted the imagery. If you decide to surrender it then yeah, they win and will then own it, so really if you do value your heritage so strongly then in my opinion you should proudly display and fight for it. The worrying aspect of your mindset and being made to feel shame for something you absolutely should not feel shame for is that if left unchecked, eventually every single aspect of culture around the world would be surrendered to the alt-right Nazis, and that would be tragic and quite frankly horrifying.

The other worrying aspect of this is that it's quite a US-centric problem. Do you see Norwegians or citizens of other Nordic countries burning their history and committing suicide en masse because some turd involved in the Capitol riots (and other supporters here and there) have co-opted their culture? No, and I strongly suspect they would fight tooth and nail to hold onto it rather than let those fuckers have it. Even in wider popular culture within the US itself, Nordic imagery is not associated with Nazis in the public mind. Yesterday Sony unveiled gameplay footage of the new God of War game made by their Santa Monica Studio, which has seen the main character transition from Greek mythology (something else that has been co-opted to a degree) to Norse mythology, and nobody is concerned that it is promoting Nazi ideals. One of Disney's most popular characters right now is Thor, do you think anyone walked out of the Avengers movies or Ragnarok thinking about Nazis or how they promoted Fascism? Last I checked, Love & Thunder is still highly anticipated.

This is a topic that could be discussed at length but in general? If you want to celebrate your heritage (and this goes for anyone else - even if you just think the armor looks cool) then use it and enjoy it. Don't let Nazi scum take that away from you and the world. The only problem is that this armor has not been seen in Halo Infinite and the concern/hostility surrounding it's presence was directed at an update for Halo: The Master Chief Collection. As of right now, no armor like this (or the other armor shown) has been seen in gameplay or screenshots for Halo Infinite, but given the seasonal nature of the multiplayer portion of this free-to-play game, it is certainly reasonable to think that such armor designs will eventually make their way into the game.

When it comes to diversity and being inclusive, Halo has a very particular problem that the vast majority of games do not when it comes to representation, and that is the nature of the game design meaning that everyone is covered head-to-toe in battle armor and so the developers are much more limited than those of other shooters such as Apex Legends or Overwatch, which can provide much greater representation through having specific character designs as opposed to Halo where in multiplayer we never see anyone's face. Even Master Chief himself, one of the most iconic characters in gaming, has never had his face revealed.

So what solutions are there to address this? The people that complained about the existence of the armor did not present a solution to the issues they raised but I think that there are solutions however, even within the limited confines of Halo multiplayer character design. As such, my proposals for addressing this issue within the confines of the game design would be as follows:

-Support the Xbox Adaptive controller. I am unsure if this is confirmed or not yet, but allowing disabled gamers to enjoy the game along with everyone else would be fantastic. Inclusion could also extend to armor design with some prosthetics that would not look out of place, in my opinion. I think prosthetic armor is actually in this game which is excellent if so. Accessibility options such as colorblind settings etc. are thankfully more common in games with each passing year and I would be surprised if Halo Infinite did not have these features as well.

-Armor shaders of greater complexity. We're used to the traditional green that Master Chief sports as well as the old Red vs. Blue that we are accustomed to, but now that 343 is taking steps away from that tradition and moving to outlines to tell friend from foe (and already allowed color selections in a limited degree) - they can now get creative with armor shading and while what we have seen so far has been quite basic, I think, such as maybe blue legs with one red arm etc. they can certainly go much farther and introduce armor coloring to match the Transgender pride flag along with the LGBT flag and others. Let people rock their Norwegian heritage in pride colors. It would be glorious to see a Spartan in Trans pride-colored Viking armor storming across the map wielding the gravity hammer :rock:

-Armor badges. This is generally along the same lines as above but I think players should be able to proudly display badges of their choosing on the armor their Spartan wears. Obvious locations are shoulder pads and chest and I think this would be great - let players rock the pride flag on their armor, a BLM symbol or others of their choosing. Get that in the game and allow it to be displayed. Apex Legends has banners for each player where you can choose what statistics you wish to display (e.g. how many kills in the season) as well as space above to display three badges. Many badges are tied to gameplay-related accomplishments but there are also inclusive badges as well such as BLM etc. and 343 could adopt something similar for player nameplates and emblems, they just need to put some effort into expanding the existing system beyond what's available but the groundwork is there with ranking displays.

-A good reporting system and banning known racist, transphobic, homophobic and Nazi associations (e.g. SS/88/HH/MAGA) from being able to be used in clan tags. Have a list of known choices added to a filter and continue to monitor and update it as time goes by so that people don't enter a game and see that vileness. Ideally any time someone tries to set their clan tag as something like that the game would give them an automatic 24-hour ban and a warning about hate speech so that they cannot actually progress to gameplay and subject people to that stuff. A three strikes rule with permaban that requires review by a 343 employee before said player is allowed back would be excellent. If they can get it right, an automated system such as this could work wonders for weeding out toxic players before they even enter their first game. I also feel this will be quite important as being a free-to-play game available on PC where players can utilize VPNs to get around bans, 343 will need something automated to handle things like this.

-We already have Spartan gender selection and 343 has confirmed that they are expanding Spartan individuality to support more body types and voices. We do not know how deep this will be yet but it is a good step towards expanding how inclusive the game is and sets the groundwork for further expansion in the future. Even if voice selection is not as varied as we would hope at launch? They have laid the foundations for deepening this system to be more inclusive and once again circumvent the limitations imposed by Spartan armor hiding the person within. Voice is an excellent way to circumvent that limitation with gender and racial diversity.

Tldr: Don't let Nazis dictate what you can and can't do. They tried it once before and failed because people took a stand and shot them. Also, while your heart is very much in the right place, your concerns are also currently not an issue for this game! They may be in the future but 343 has ways to circumvent their design constraints to mitigate any concerns people may have and I hope that they would make use of them. Even if they do not, though? That is still no reason to be ashamed of and not celebrate your heritage. Be proud, don't let scum take that away from you. As it stands right now however, 343 is making an effort to expand how inclusive the game is and although we won't know how deep this goes until launch we do know that they are trying, and I hope that they continue to do so and expand on the work they are doing throughout the life of the game. In the meantime, continue to be proud of your awesome grandad - nobody can take that away from you.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I think it's Big Team Battle time :twisted:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Going to be a new Arena map added as well. I like the concept art for that desert BTB map on Zeta Halo too, I wonder if they'll ever add dynamic map events such as sandstorms, for example? Things like that have been entertaining in games that have integrated them and done them right.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

A lot of Big Team Battle streams on Twitch right now and it looks amazing :swoon:

Edit: Turns out everyone's just watching a video and I found it so I'll share here. They show a new Arena map and then also some BTB gameplay at the end before a new cinematic related to the multiplayer story. Aesthetically it really does look like they have gone hard on the classic Halo look which I think will please people a lot as well, but I'm still hoping that we get some more unusual environments akin to what we saw in Halo 4 particularly. Hoping we get a map set in London like we see in the aforementioned cinematic as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hvv5BuXcqs

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 22, 2021

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Agreed on the chaos sentiment and yeah, they should just hide esports in a little category that's really tiny and hidden away so fun seeking people don't select it by accident. That sand map is good but feels way too big for 4v4.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I forget where I saw it but there's a great clip of someone doing a flag run on the BTB map by throwing a fusion coil off the man cannon and grappling onto it to go flying across the entire map.

Also I never knew you could use the sword to propel yourself into the air like they do in that competitive video posted above :stare:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Shiroc posted:

I've been wondering if there was a Battle Royale reset somewhere in the middle of development and that's why there are a weirdly small number of maps for how long the game was in development.

Can't speculate on BR but 343 Halo games have always launched with a small amount of multiplayer maps. It's unfortunate but at least they're well designed and 343 has a proven record of solid post-launch support. I'm just hoping that future maps have more visual variety because Halo 4 did an excellent job with this and it would be nice to see a good variety of biomes again. There's obviously many classics that can be updated and brought back as well so I guess it just remains to see how frequently they drop new content throughout the year and beyond.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

It's been roughly half a year not a year and a half but I sure hope they got a bunch of people just working on new multiplayer maps even if it's just porting from other games and giving a visual makeover. I hope they're not focusing on forge so much so the community makes that content instead unless they're putting a big effort into the visuals of the pieces for building with.

Do many people care about campaign co-op when the game's been out for half a year? Would have been a big hit at launch obviously but I don't think many people would go back to replay everything when Halo is all about the multiplayer. Firefight would be a better allocation of resources imo but I guess we'll get it eventually? It took them a while but warzone firefight for Halo 5 was great, maybe they'll wait until they have more BTB maps before working on it?

Personally I think it just needs more sandbox toys. Maps/weapons/vehicles/modes would be good since that's what Halo has always thrived on, would be a shame if the multiplayer ends up being a bunch of ugly Forge maps because 343 hasn't been keeping up.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

That's odd. What I read said they were dropping the old system to do more regular updates. They also literally just showed yet another brand new map for multiplayer and there's still that mountain of content from leaks (which we know is real since some of it has already been released) waiting to be released. They showed off some stuff that will be expanding Forge mode even further as well which is pretty cool imo.

Edit: I really hope their next game goes back to the Halo 4/5 art style though, whenever they get round to it. Infinite is great and all but I prefer the art direction and colorful variation 4 & 5 had.

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 22, 2024

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Infinite owns and 343's continual iterations of Halo's gameplay have all been solid choices but while I know a lot of people praised them for returning to the older Halo aesthetic with Infinite, I hope the next Halo game has an art style more like 4 & 5 because it was so freakin' good. Still bummed they changed the graphics of 5 for the worse because of pro players complaining about the Halo 5 multiplayer beta. Hopefully they stick to their guns more going forward and just do their thing. Also bring back Breakout!

Also extremely hot take here but I think they should focus on multiplayer rather than singleplayer campaigns imo because multi is where Halo shines and firefight provides that co-op PvE experience which is more replayable than a campaign could ever be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Jables88 posted:

Couch co-op campaign content is an enormous part of the Halo identity to the point where people were rightly pissed that both 5 and Infinite didn't have it.

And yet Halo 5 was the biggest launch in Halo's history until Halo Infinite came along and set another new record :eng101:

Co-op campaign is cool (enjoyed it in Gears of War too) but I've never known it not be a one-and-done type of thing personally. This very well could be my own bubble! I'm just used to the desire to play co-op always resulting in firing up firefight or horde mode rather than going through campaigns again. Different strokes for different folks though, I'm just glad 343 have taken forge mode so far and it now has AI and tools for firefight.

Arc Hammer posted:

My hot take is that the art design for the Halo 4 and 5 wouldn't be nearly as iffy if the bodysuit underneath the armour plates didn't look like shrink wrapped garbage bags over emaciated Spartans.

Yeah I know a lot of people disliked the new armor styles, I'm referring more to how much visual variety there was in levels and how nice all the environments looked. They've expanded on that with all the free DLC for Infinite but Halo 4 in particular was very colorful and had so much visual variety, I just miss that.

Agoat posted:

Also trying to get on the sandbox team at 343 so I'm doing mostly my stuff :)

Good luck! Hope you succeed. I wonder if a really solid (and original, not remake) forge map showcasing good application of the sandbox tools might be a handy thing to have in your portfolio? Could be a useful way of showcasing your knowledge and how to apply it.