Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

This design is so loving cool, but the fact it's using a spear kind of cracks me up.
It's like "the Chozo have created the most advanced and powerful weaponary in the known Galaxy. Let's use the POINTY STICK"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

The United States posted:

I mean symbolic and ceremonial weapons still exist even though we have guns today

Yeah except it's not symbolic nor ceremonial. We get a glimpse of that guy in trailer and it's all he uses.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

meanwhile in the metroid dread trailer, kraid's shrieking toothy maw is like six inches from samus' face and she doesn't flinch. her power beam is even charging up!

They kind of started that in Samus Returns; when you finally kill Diggernaut, Samus finishes it off with a charged shot she doesn’t even bother to look to make sure it’s connecting. Felt like she was saying “I am so loving done with this thing”, which as the player was a pretty mutual feeling.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

There's nothing wrong with her having an attachment to the Baby Metroid really, other m just overdoes it to an insane degree.

Also it’s worth noting that both Super and Fusion made it clear Samus has a soft spot for cute animals.
Which means her saving Pikachu and letting him hang around her in Brawl was totally in character.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

What is a Metroid, other than a space jellyfish energy vampire?

According to Chozo, the Ultimate Warrior.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk0eQkOSOGQ

It would have been fine if they were allowed to keep using their Prime 1 model and just let there be a visual difference between the realistic looking 3D series and the cartoony looking 2D series. The bad attempt at the Zero Mission model in 3D just smacks of last minute studio mandate.

I honestly think Prime 1 looks pretty bad as well. Like it's got some kind of "uncanny valley Barbie" vibe going on. Hunters looks the best out of these I'd say.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Bleck posted:

8 is a "the reviewer got stuck and thinks the game is too hard"

There’s a few sevens where it’s “I got lost for too long and it’s clearly the games fault I didn’t use my map to figure out where I was”
Still if it holds at the 87-90 range that’s honestly a lot better then I was expecting, 2D games aren’t usually reviewed kindly these days unless they are cheap indie games.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

review scoring systems are kind of halfway dogshit anyways and i'd rather not play the game of 'oh they didn't give a game i want a perfect score so obviously they're bad at it'

I'm not saying that, I'm saying that calling poo poo like hard bosses and tricky environmental puzzles to solve design flaws in a Metroid game seems a bit off the mark.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

i get why people like hollow knight, but i dislike it for the same reasons, i think. Namely, that it is as tedious a game as I have ever played.

but people also go nuts over poo poo like Dwarf Fortress, so there's an audience for a game like Hollow Knight

My biggest problem with Hollow Knight was that on the whole, the players power level never really grows that much. Like there’s never any kind of Ace in the Hole power up, like say Screw Attack or whatever that crazy Wind Sword is called, that just lets you trivialize most basic enemies. The closest you ever get to that are those Black Fireballs or whatever but Magic never really stops being a fairly limited source.

Normally this wouldn’t be a terribly big deal, but with the sheer amount of backtracking you gotta do, it gets very very tedious after a while. Even after opening up all the little shortcuts and fast travel stations it still gets dull because the time to kill on everything feels too long.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

robot roll call posted:

It's cliché to say at this point but Hollow Knight is closer to a Dark Souls type game, it's more about building skill than upgrades and abilities. I started a new playthrough for fun and I was just ruthlessly obliterating things that were brick walls for me my first playthrough.

Right but that doesn't relieve the tedium of going back to that loving water city for the umpteenth time, because even though you are good enough to style on everything down there, it still takes multiple hits and fireballs to kill them, y'know?
There's nothing wrong with relying on skill for some games but I do think for a M̶e̶t̶r̶o̶i̶d̶v̶a̶n̶i̶a̶ whatever the gently caress we are calling this genre, there has to be a bigger emphasis on player power levels.
Like going through Norfair for the umpteenth time never feels bad after you get the Screw Attack and Speed Booster and you can just Juggernaut your way through it to get to Ridley.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Hat-lock posted:

10 hours for a Metroid game might even be slightly too long. I think it's interesting that some of the greatest games with the most wide ranging appeal (stuff like Doom, Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger) all have playtimes that are below or far below the average for their genre. Why do people demand 30-60 hour games? It's insane.

I feel like it's worth noting every game you listed there was also designed for a lot of replay-ability in mind. Which is something I feel like not many people care about these days (both gamers and devs), and that's real loving odd.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

On the subject of linearity;

Someone found a way to bring bombs into the Kraid fight and it allowed them to bypass Kraid's first phase, he even had a special animation for getting hit by it. I think it's a lot more open then most people realize right now.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

lih posted:

there have been a bunch of difficult developer-intended sequence breaks discovered already, it's definitely not fusion.

It's a lot closer to Zero Mission then anything, which is about the best we can hope for in terms of freedom in a Metroid game.

I think people don't realize a lot of the crazy poo poo sequence breaking poo poo you could pull off in Super wasn't intended at all. Which would be fine, except for the fact that it was also totally possible to gently caress yourself and get permanently stuck if you went a bit too crazy, and any dev (especially Nintendo) isn't going to ever try to replicate that because of it.

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 8, 2021

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Augus posted:

i kinda love the weird robot voice they gave adam, it's almost more isolating to have your only companion be this stilted, monotone computer

I dunno, it kind of gives me some "DANGER WILL ROBINSON, DANGER" vibes

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

EMMI sections become a lot more fun once you realize stealth is a trap and you just try to speed run through them

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Deviant posted:

did you want a special edition? because we only made six of em! we're nintendo! suck our dick!

For what it's worth my EB/Gamestop (or whatever the gently caress are called in Canada now) actually had like 15+ for sale, and they got a bunch more in reserved as well (mine was per-ordered)

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I get that it's a last resort but I mean I'm unsure which flash on it to even wait for

Since there's no punishment for failure though I guess it doesn't matter

you get two attempts to break out if that helps, one where the EMMI gets close enough to Samus and another if you hosed up the first one and it has Samus in it's hands

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Amppelix posted:

yeah the intended effect here was that samus was like "well you didn't tell me to use my varia suit so here i am trucking through the hell zone completely exposed" until adam finally gives in and yells at her to do it

which would actually be a cool sequence in a better story

From what I understand, that's kind of how it happens in the orignal Japanese script and the localization kind of hosed it up.

However, all I'm gonna say about Other M in this thread is that I'm the kind of guy that can forgive a laughably bad plot as long as the game itself is fun.
I couldn't forgive Other M.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Wait it was a 3d character action game and it REQUIRED motion controls? What the gently caress

Like I said man, it's not like Other M's plot was the only bad thing about it lol

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

I gotta say, after a certain big event (big spoiler)
which is letting the X loose from Elun
the pacing of this game just gets cranked up to no mercy mode. It's almost relentless.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

mweber posted:

Haven’t played a Metroid game since the first Prime. This is awesome. Exactly what I want out of a 2d Metroid.

What’s the status of Motherbrain in this universe? Because the central control units are really Motherbrainy.

Mother Brain is hyper dead, but MB was originally a rather early example of Chozo making an advanced AI (which is why it was mostly biological) but the Space Pirates found a way to kind of hi-jack her and use MB to run their main base on Zebes from within Tourian. The fact that MB was originally Chozo tech should be a big clue as to what's going on with the Central Control Units.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

khy posted:

IIRC MB actually betrayed the Chozo and joined the Space Pirates willingly. Also, apparently MB was one of those responsible to help train Samus as a kid, according to the non-canon-but-still-kind-of-canon Manga series.

was that the one where she named her bird dads Old Bird and Grey Voice, and it turns out of them started working for the Space Pirates for some reason and was why Ridley knew about the Baby Metroid which started Super

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

I think Raven Beak might be one of the greatest final boss fights I've ever played in a video game. It's so well designed, and him using all the Aeon Abilities from Samus Returns is a really nice touch.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

So after playing around with the grapple beam a bit I'm not sure where to go, there don't seem to be any grapple beam doors or boxes that'll take me to a new area. Don't really need a hint yet, I'll bumble around for a while more, but as I've been doing so

This missile expansion has been driving me insane. How the hell do you get this?

it's something you get rather late in the game

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

SettingSun posted:

No remake of Super will live up to anyone's expectations. They should go with their original vision and remake Fusion though. That would be neat.

Yeah I dunno if Super really needs a remake.
Well, not having Select be an Item Toggle would be nice but that's about it

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Does the final boss require some new gimmick to do damage after the first counter cutscene? He's no-selling all of my attacks (as he already did) but the shield doesn't look like it's changing color like it did before.

when he starts taunting you, do a dashing melee attack to trigger another counter cutscene. It seems like shooting him with enough missiles with force him to taunt you as well

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Apparently 0% Item runs are possible? Somehow?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I've been banging my head on one of these for like an hour and made it to the third screen of like 6 in the sequence
I just can't figure out how to activate it in the air instead of jumping - it seems like it does exactly the opposite of what I want it to do

Press Jump and Fire at the same time while in the air. You can cancel out of Somersault jumps into a Shinespark mid-air this way.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

Cripes, the last boss is so incredibly unforgiving. I'm feeling kinda discouraged. Im kind of surprised there's no checkpoints (So far?)Is ther e any way to get damage in when he's gold? Or am I relying entirely on parries for that part?

Yeah you have to parry him to knock off his Lightning Armor, during the cut scenes that follow you are free to blast him as much as you can mash out. That said, apparently shooting at him will force him to go for melee attacks more often to keep that in mind

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Malloc Voidstar posted:

enjoying this a lot so far but every once in a while an EMMI decides "patrolling? eat poo poo I'm going to walk the same path, right next to you, ten times"

Stealth Cloak is really a trap most of the time, it's better to just run and don't stop in almost every situation

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

loving hell lmao

you can also one shot the black hole attack from Phase 1 with a power bomb, although I find shooting that with 3 missiles actually easier

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Holy poo poo lmao (link has spoilers)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-GMo_farJc

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

SL the Pyro posted:

- gently caress the Chozo Drones in particular. They did not need to show up in pairs. Did I miss something that makes these jerks easier other than the one melee counter opportunity?

Kinda, Storm Missiles tears them a new rear end in a top hat if you get the timing right

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah my two main complaints are that the music isn't memorable (though Idk if this is controversial but I've never seen Metroid as a series particularly great for its music), and that while the environments are beautiful it doesn't have the sense of progression that Super Metroid had where Lower Norfair is clearly an end game area and has that total end-boss atmosphere to it

Yeah, honestly outside of Prime 1 and 2 I've never really cared to much about the music in a Metroid game

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/CanadianAniGuy/status/1447027564426498050

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

stev posted:

I'm not too bothered about the game stopping you backtracking so often - it's nice that you can't really get lost. But it does rob you of that feeling you get when you unlock an ability and remember all the places you've passed that you can go back and use it.

"Holy poo poo I finally got the morph ball! Now I can finally go back to the first area and get through all those gaps... Nope looks like I won't be going back anytime soon. :("

there are definitely points where you can go back and clean up a bit, but you can kind of "miss" them and be stuck until you find another teleporter or something similar. I kind of wish ADAM would have said something like "you can mop up a bit now if you wish" to make this a bit more clear

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Ok I beat the game my first time at about 6 hours and then again with 100% item completion just now. Gotta ask one question (major endgame spoilers):

Since it isn’t explicitly pointed out, are we supposed to assume that the computer navigator was actually Raven Beak the whole time and not computer Adam? Or was that just a trick he tried to pull on her right before the final battle?

you didn’t think something was up when Adam started saying poo poo like “Samus even though you are almost at full power you stand no chance against Raven Beak, he is just too strong and bad rear end and cool and did you know he has a massive dick and also….”

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

i mean that was adam's shtick in fusion talking about the SA-X too so it barely seemed out of place

oddly enough, that was misdirection as well because Adam was getting told by the Feds to say poo poo like that to Samus, to stop her from damaging the SA-X’s too much

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Lol at cheerleading billion dollar companies.

What if it’s less “go Nintendo” and more “someone please get Kotaku poo poo canned already”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

This is wrong.

Metroid and SM absolutely didnt do this, neither did prime. They all allowed you to get back to your ship/start almost anytime you wanted. Fusion was the first to start limiting you and cutting off large swaths of the world at random.

SM had exactly one time when it cut you off, but even then they only cut you of from back tracking a specific path, you could actually get back through an alternate path very easily once you got ice beam, and before you beat kraid.

How do you get out of Norfair without the Ice Beam or gratuitous use of Bomb Jumping/Single Wall Jumping? And even then, wouldn't you just get stopped by that one way gate in Brinstar without the Speed Booster?

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 11, 2021