Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Muscle Tracer posted:

Is it possible to parry the chozo warrior's red melee attack? Not the lunge, the vertical slash?

Jump and phase shift over it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Finished with 44% item completion in just over 6.5 hours IGT, then went back and got the rest of the items in another 2 hours.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

You gotta focus on not getting hit. Space Jump and Phase Dash make that very doable.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Annie Chickenstalker posted:

I was expecting it to come back as an x host later and was disappointed when it didn't.

the final boss cutscene monster is the z-57 X fused with Kraid and Raven Beak

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

You can only activate the spin/space jump just after you start descending from your first jump arc.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Calaveron posted:

Incidentally, is this the first Metroid game where the final boss is male?

Samus Returns has Proto-Ridley so definitely not.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

You can beat the cross bomb boss fast by charging shinesparks in the room before each of it's phases spawns, and ramming their weak points.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I think it's gravity suit or screw attack.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

You have to jump out of the slide during coyote time.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

All cutscenes count towards IGT, skipped or otherwise.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I think that people aren't used to first-party, big-release Nintendo games with this level of mechanical demand (which is distinct, IMO, from difficulty).

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Some of the items definitely take some skill to get to. I'm sure I didn't do everything in the optimal way, but I will say that it took genuine effort and a lot of repeating tasks to get some of the items.

One of the last items I got required building a speedboost in the minimal amount of area to boost, running with the booster charge through a door, slide through a blaster block, point down and blast through some more blaster blocks while falling, set off the speedboost midair, hit a sloped ledge running, lock down the boost, slide through another gap, drop down and boost midair again into a ramp, immediately hit down, drop down a ledge, and then boost again. I think it's a missile + tank.

It was the most ridiculous set of things to do, but I eventually got it.

That path also unlocks the sequence break for early gravity suit!

I have a lot of shinespark experience and the one you're describing probably took me the least time of all the nontrivial booster challenges.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I played through entirely on the switch with joycons on the side, and my biggest struggle for that and some other long-run speedboost items was simply holding the left stick down while moving for long periods of time.

You don't have to hold it! Just click once at the start of your run.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

We are officially under 90 minutes on the speedrun for this game. :stare:

Vid?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Samus is a kaizo ningen - an altered human. I'm sure an x-ray would be pretty gnarly. But you don't need the power suit to be screwed into her bones for the situation at the start of Fusion to be dangerous. Synthetic muscle could have been heat-fused to skin, or a surface-contact nerve uplink could have been at risk of overload.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

FeyerbrandX posted:

The hand you used to pilot the ship.... is too burning red. To order a special driving wand please smash your palm against the helm... now

Its loud roar tells our voice-recognition software nothing. Please take your love, your pain, and all of your business elsewhere.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Muscle Tracer posted:

I don't know what these posts are referencing but I really like them a lot.

https://youtu.be/9QjPbSe0nRI

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Raven Beak is a Kamen Rider villain - a bad dad with a convoluted, manipulative plan and a huge ego. He's a wrestling heel and part of the fun of Dread is how that conflicts with the mode of storytelling that Samus is used to.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

There are a ton of fast sequence breaks in Dread.

It's just a lot of thema aren't intentional.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Use storm missiles. He'll go down in under two minutes.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I've heard a lot of bellyaching about the FE Fates localization, but I've never heard anything about people's jobs being in danger and I doubt it's true.

As for Squid Game, the original Twitter thread confused the closed captions based on the English dub with the English-language subtitles, which use a different and more faithful translation. Closed captions/dubs and subtitles have very different needs and goals.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Super Metroid has the least friendly controls in the series but they're also insanely expressive and a big part of how and why Super Metroid speedruns are so impressively optimized.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Eopia posted:

For all the talk about glitch vs glitchless speedruns, I think it's notable that there is no Glitchless category for Metroid Dread. The closest it gets is No Major Glitches which still allows some glitches which have some pretty major effects on the routing. Personally I'd like it if there was.

If you want it, run it. Speedruns are not a spectator sport.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

you should have gotten a significant power-up in that room.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Darth Nat posted:

I think I horribly messed up. I did the sequence break to get Gravity Suit early on my hard mode file, and now I'm stuck fighting Experiment Z-57 without Spin Jump or Storm Missiles and can't avoid half of his attacks

You can walljump to avoid most of the rest I think.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

While speedboosting you don't have to input away from a wall to wall jump, which makes all puzzles involving walljumps much much easier.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Darth Nat posted:

I finally got a pattern where he never shinesparked and defeated him, so I guess I'll never know how to avoid the one where he goes up!

Jump straight up where you're standing, but not over him. You have space jump you can just hover in his blind spot, which is nearly 75% of the room.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

DeafNote posted:

Its..kinda a mix

kim wexler

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Great Beer posted:

The speed boost sound effect is now the clip of her screaming at the end of dread.

Phazon Tower

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The 3D maps in Metroid Prime are pretty good on a room-to-room level but rapidly fall apart in larger areas like Phazon Mines or when attempting to represent the relationships between zones.

I will say that Breath of the Wild uses a very Prime-esque map that replaces the 2d minimap when you're inside Hyrule Castle.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

CainFortea posted:

Yea, sure, that's why.

what the gently caress are you talking about

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Super Metroid isn't good because it can be sequence broken. It can be sequence broken because of the ways in which it is good. It has extremely nuanced controls and physics that are expressive and exploitable. The world design is multi-faceted and organic, lacking in constructed barriers beyond some colored doors. In order to prevent players getting overly frustrated with being lost or not making progress, the game definitely opens itself up and offers multiple similar paths towards different kinds of progress.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I have funny feelings about Zero Mission.

Zero Mission's sequence "breaks" are all so authored. I know there's been some recent clipping developments, but ZM's Unknown Items and heavily scripted epilogue and stealth sequences, and the way Power Bombs are gated off and shape the 100% route, end up feeling very artificial and patronizing.

Despite this, the actual game feel is spectacular and the secrets are very well laid-out. It's an incredibly densely designed world. It just feels too designed.

Dread and Zero Mission can feel very similar, but Dread being glitchier (psuedowaves, shine sinking, escaping water using corners and bombs, etc.) makes speedrunning and sequence breaking feel extra good.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Yeah, Dread wasn't supposed to be quite as broken as it is. But it is broken in fun, interesting ways and most of those glitches were passed over during patches so there's a degree of intentionality too.

But more important than intent is result, and the result of Dread is I think better than ZM.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Bleck posted:

"I hate going back to old areas with new items to get stuff I couldn't get before!" ~ Metroid Fans

That's all well and good for a first playthrough but the fun part of a speedrun is optimization and Zero Mission cuts off a lot of opportunities for optimization and routing by so strictly dividing the collection into halves.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Bleck posted:

That's fair, but I also don't think that your earlier feelings of "it's too designed" are really compatible with "they should design the whole game so there's a really good speedrun route."

I didn't say they should design a game for a good speedrun route. Super Metroid is an excellent speedgame the same way Breath of the Wild is: because it has an open air world with few strict barriers, high player expression, and exploitable glitches and quirks.

Zero Mission is more like Pizza Tower or honestly even a platforming version of Devil May Cry: a tightly designed obstacle course with an extremely capable player character. In this way, Zero Mission and Fusion are more alike than we realized; it's just that the linear, authored route in Zero Mission is what you "unlock" with knowledge, instead of being the base game.

And to be extremely clear, Zero Mission's speedrun passages are fun as hell if you aren't going for 100% cleanup.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

LividLiquid posted:

Holy poo poo. I knew they printed money, but I never dreamed they'd beat out the GB, Pocket, Light, Color, and GBA combined.

The Game Boy Family doesn't include the Advance (GBA had 81 million lifetime sales by itself). So Game Boy + Advance I think beats DS. But not by as much as you'd think.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Acrobatic, deft movement is what makes the worlds of Zero Mission, Super, and Dread special and tolerable to navigate back and forth. One of the principle lasting criticisms of Prime 1 is trudging through Magmoor caverns and refighting Chozo ghosts, and later Prime games become increasingly linear and siloed in order to reduce "empty" backtracking.

A Titanfall-esque wall-running, air-dashing approach could allow Prime 4 to depict a contiguous world where backtracking is viscerally fun because the platforming is fun and expressive, rather than a matter-of-fact process.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The move towards mobility focused gameplay in the Metroid series and in the metroidvania genre as a whole reflects general trends for action gamers. When Metroid games were trying to be tent pole titles, parts of their game design had to make room for less dexterous or self-improvement-focused players. Nowadays the genre appeals directly to souls-adjacent technical players looking for speed runnable games where skill and expression are rewarded.

Tanking hits and accumulating numbers to cushion against mistakes and survive attrition doesn't resonate with gamers in the age of challenge runs and speed running and viral twitch clips. Games need to look impressive regardless of the actual level of difficulty.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I have to assume that an EMMI fight was cut from the game along with a bunch of other boss fights we know were cut and replaced with infected chozo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

You are wrong to want that. 25 years of speedrunning excellence have proven that Super Metroid's controls are beautifully nuanced.