Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Didn't notice if someone posted it already, but the Saints home opener will be played in Jacksonville apparently.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1433101922114973703

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/ByNateTaylor/status/1433189926170923013

Disappointing.

edit: Less disappointing

https://twitter.com/MattVerderame/status/1433179116942024707

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 1, 2021

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kawalimus posted:

We're screwed against the Chiefs regardless because Harbaugh is badly outcoached by Reid every single time.

Engaging with you is never a good idea, but in the Lamar Jackson era:

Took the Chiefs to overtime before they even got a real chance to install an offense for Lamar.
Highly competitive
Badly outcoached once

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Especially since he didn't actually get it.

Oh god the zapruder film stuff examining this at the time.

I mean maybe don't let him gain at least 28.5 yards to make that an issue in the end though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Grittybeard posted:

Oh god the zapruder film stuff examining this at the time.

Before anyone gets too far into this I want to make a disclaimer that this was not an invitation to start this type of thing again.

Can't deny part of me is secretly tempted to start all of this again

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 2, 2021

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

No Butt Stuff posted:

That's next week

Temple at Rutgers baby!

Boise State @ UCF might actually be fun now that I look.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mega64 posted:

How loving long does it take to educate yourself on a vaccine?

An undergraduate degree, four years of medical school, extra time after that in specific field study. Look it'll take a while but he'll get there.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

boop the snoot posted:

Has any RB ever had back to back 2k yard seasons? I’m 99% sure it has never happened.

But my bold prediction for the year is Derrick Henry will get another 2k yard season.

If we're talking rushing and this list is correct no one has ever had two 2k seasons, back to back or in any other way.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

sweet thursday posted:

The 16/17 game divide is going to be a huge issue for future stats nerds.

Good :dukedog:

As a stat nerd I was wondering what OJ would have done with 16 games long ago my friend. It would have been very brutal, both on the field and with everyone to this day having to note the unrepentant murderer's single season rushing record.

So, in the end I welcome more games from a stats standpoint just in case something like that comes up again.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

I don't care if the cornerback is Deion loving Sanders you never pass on a possible cornerstone QB to take him

Glancing at that draft and assuming you can get someone to toss fly balls to Michael Irvin I think I take Sanders over Aikman.

Different time and rules of course.

e: didn't realize the Cowboys used a first round pick in the supplemental draft to grab Steve Walsh that year? What?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nodoze posted:

Brady Quinn and Colt McCoy. I think McCoy in general screams Patriot QB, I remember him doing some of the stuff people are heralding Mac Jones for doing like checking at the line and audibling but then he got his bell rung

I don't think McCoy had a real NFL arm. Toolsiest guy on that list might be Dilfer?...???

Just awful drafting and signings all around. Oh...missed the original Couch, he was the guy who should have worked out but didn't.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chucktesla posted:

Wasn't he an air raid guy before people realized what the air raid was

Yeah but he was a legit top recruit and destined for the NFL out of high school. It's possible that the air raid hurt his development, then bad coaching in the league didn't help.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

I'm glad no one important played a single preseason snap

Andy's playing starters means Willie Gay is dead and the Chiefs are done for the year :argh:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

sean10mm posted:

Random question, what Super Bowl had the most bad blood between the two teams? Usually there isn't any because it's AFC vs NFC and there aren't a lot of cross-conference blood feuds.

Steelers/Cards of all matchups got heated in game at least, but that's mostly because James Harrison is an insane person.

I would imagine the Bills didn't like the Cowboys back in the 90s, but I don't remember any fights or anything. And the Cowboys didn't have to care really.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

wandler20 posted:

Lol what? It was the complete opposite of that. Bucs obliterated the Chiefs but like there was no real feud. I've seen a few bitter chiefs fans pop up on the Bucs feed but that's about it.

Different feeds at work here is what's going on I'd imagine. No one other than the truly depraved homer fans care too much one way or the other with this.

But they're the loud ones that you notice.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 5, 2021

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Asproigerosis posted:

having a sensible chuckle over the chargers trading away michael vick because spanos didn't want to pay him #1 overall money.

It's hard to say that they lost this trade.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

sean10mm posted:

Vick wouldn't have gone into the hall even without the dogfighting thing because he was never actually that good as an NFL quarterback. He was overrated before he was controversial because of SportsCenter highlights and 99 SPEED IN MADDEN or whatever, and now is overrated from nostalgia for the vague memory of those things.

I think if he'd hooked up with Andy Reid off the bat he would have had a chance.

His first few head coaches were Dan Reeves for part of a year, Wade Phillips (bless him but he isn't going to develop a quarterback) and Jim freaking Mora. That's a recipe to ruin a talented quarterback before we get into the legal stuff.

e: Kubiak's an interesting thought, easy system to play and based heavily on rolling out. He'd have a very fast man rolling out in theory.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 6, 2021

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

half cocaine posted:

MIke Vick was never that good. Y'all think he was awesome because of his dumb Madden rating.

I can promise you his Madden rating is not something that I ever even knew or thought about.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

half cocaine posted:

If you're going to hype these poo poo-rear end stats at least give Randall Cunningham some respect. Or I dunno Chris Chandler.

a neat cape posted:

Vick was fun to watch.

This does not have to coincide with him being good or bad

We also have eyes and imaginations and we're just talking what ifs here. He's nowhere near a hall of famer based on his career, but that release on his throw along with everything else had he learned how to actually play QB earlier--which he's admitted he never bothered with until he got to Philly--is scary.

As an aside I don't think most of this forum will ever disrespect QB Eagles. Who was also incredibly screwed over by coaching early on.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 6, 2021

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

who cares about 90s rear end randall cunningham

:lol: don't immediately try to prove me wrong.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Asproigerosis posted:

having a sensible chuckle over the chargers trading away michael vick because spanos didn't want to pay him #1 overall money.

Speaking of trades I just stumbled across this again

quote:

On March 2, 2005, [Randy] Moss was traded to the Oakland Raiders for linebacker Napoleon Harris and the Raiders' first (7th overall, which Minnesota parlayed into wide receiver Troy Williamson) and seventh-round picks in the NFL draft.

Whew.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

tarbrush posted:

I don't think it's the protection that's the issue, it's the amount of times that he extends the play into the "treated as a runner" ruleset.

This may be an insignificant distinction because the result is the same. But my interpretation is that he doesn't do that this much, when he decides to run he runs (and frustratingly is willing to lower a shoulder into someone too often).

The problem is he's willing to backpedal forever in an effort to extend plays, then runs around the backfield dodging guys. We're really saying the same thing in different ways, he should still be a quarterback until he takes off in theory but it doesn't matter much because he's gonna eat hits.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I think it's cool to remember the history of the sport.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The stalemate continues

I still don't understand the decision making here. Yeah I get it there are no good answers and Watson is a valuable asset despite being a trash person who doesn't want anything to do with the Texans but...

It seems like you'd either go full speed ahead and start him or suspend him either way instead of this. If you suspend him other teams will remember he's good at football should he stay available. Putting him on the scout team and benching him doesn't seem worse than suspension for his future trade price. Doing the NFL a solid for future consideration and making it so Goodell doesn't have to weigh in just yet?

Is there some procedural reason they can't suspend him?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

D-LINK posted:

He is so experienced that he can keep track of position groups by their numbers. Changing that will slow his mental processing

eg: LB on Gronk is a mismatch, if you see #8 on 87 at a glance, now hehas to stop and think, "is that a CB?"

Still mad the NFL didn't go full on with this and allow Aaron Donald to line up wearing #3 or whatever.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

They bothered me exactly once, they also bothered the Raiders that one time. I can live with it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

boop the snoot posted:

This weekend he sounded like he was either drunk or having a stroke on air.

Maybe there's a longer clip but this doesn't look like drunk to me, more like tweaking on some sort of upper if it isn't a medical issue. But it definitely looks like something is wrong.

https://twitter.com/GBpickem/status/1434253987033747456

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I generally like McShay if I haven't always agreed with him, he's just a big old football geek. I hope whatever this is gets sorted.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 7, 2021

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

A big flaming stink posted:

how was the actual game, though? did brady's triumph really feel like a forgone conclusion once OT arrived?

Haven't caught up with the Bois thing but from remembering watching the game, hell yes by that point. You could theorize and hope and whatever but you expected absolutely nothing other than the Pats winning.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

Who had a better stiffarm than Derek Henry

I can't think of anyone better

I don't know if it's better but it's never a bad time to remember Greg Jones against some poor North Carolina guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKknaWEln9w

Walter Payton had some great ones too but I was looking for them a while back and I think they've mostly been scrubbed from the internet by the NFL because they were too violent? Or just because the NFL is a jerk.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mega64 posted:

Also can't stay healthy and distractingly sexy.

Yeah this is the biggest thing. Er...choose whichever of those you want to.

And he's just not good enough to go all in on hoping that he'll figure the health part out. His game is just...middling to better than that for an NFL QB. Which is fine, he's been ok to very good when healthy. But not eye popping enough to hold on to forever hoping he can stay healthy from what I can tell.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

socketwrencher posted:

So getting to the Super Bowl and coming close to winning with Garapolo is more about Shanahan/coaching/rest of the team than Jimmy?

He's somewhere in the good but not great range when healthy. That was the single year out of four in SF he's stayed healthy is the problem, and the not great thing makes you want to look for Trey Lance I guess?

I mean if he were available about half the teams in the league should kick the tires on him and sign him if he doesn't immediately fall down.

e: I do agree that Niners team was stacked though

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Forrest on Fire posted:

Jaguars, only for the fact that Urban can't possibly sustain success and it'd be like a Chip Kelly thing.

Urban was never as hands on with his offense as Chip was, so I'm betting against this. I mean you'd be looking for Darrell Bevell and Brian Schottenheimer to get things done for the most part. And the way Urban won in college is less innovative to the NFL than Chip's offense was when he showed up.

On the pro side of this idea they do have a QB who you can ask to do just about anything and he's capable of it, 4 to 5 winnable games against division competition (if the Titans die too along the way for the fifth), and luck. So maybe.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

sharknado slashfic posted:

I love the Bengals

Was it Leinart who complained about the football being different and Dennis Green was just like 'that's the ball we play with you idiot?'

I know this has come up before in a very dumb way.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fsif posted:

Early-mid first round WRs rarely end up being a Pro Bowl level player, let alone even the best in their class.

Not arguing against your point here exactly but Deebo's got a chance still I think? He just needs to get over getting injured or going on the Covid list constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

And like six dudes in the first round opted out in 2020 what are you talking about

Chase notes that himself in that quote. Not exactly as an excuse but as an 'I might be rusty' thing.