Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Vasukhani posted:

never got the hate for thoreau, he opposed war and slavery to the extent that he was arrested about it

thats a lot more conviction than most white men from the 19th century that people look up to
He talked big talk about "simplify" and living alone in the wilderness while his mother and sister cooked and did laundry for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

whydirt posted:

We would’ve gotten our 3yo in a vaccine trial if there were any near us.

They idea that vaccinating is the riskier proposition is weird, but understandable since humans are terrible at assessing risk.
I mean, there's something to be said for "we've made it this far without my kid getting sick (or we didn't, but now they have natural immunity), so why introduce a new risk?" but yes, the risk of complications from vaccines is so small it's silly not to.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

Well, this isn't a good sign:
https://twitter.com/BioTurboNick/status/1460715428242542592?t=Zja409QPsoAb7WE4V4wIEA&s=19
(Sewer samples from the MWRA, i.e. Boston, MA, sewer system)

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

Gio posted:

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
Not to dig up a pages old argument, but this phrase has long driven me up the wall.

Absence of evidence absolutely is evidence of absence. It's not absolute proof of absence (because in real life nothing is absolute proof of anything), and you have to make sure you are actually looking in the right place with the right methods and tools, but if you don't see something it might be because there really is nothing to see.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

dwarf74 posted:

Oh I am not looking a gift horse in the mouth
e: That brings up a weird question. I have obviously been exposed to the virus over the past week, probably to a significant extent. Is this providing any kind of additional immunity, like a weird and uncomfortable booster of sorts, or is it presumably unrelated?
I'm not an immunologist, but a little research seems to indicate that if you were actually exposed to enough virus that your specific immune response kicked in, that probably boosted it further, but I wouldn't take that as a license to visit your local Denny's bathroom.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

New pre-print just dropped: a team of scientists believes they have found enough evidence to pinpoint the Huanan market as the place where SARS-COV-2 made the jump to humans
https://twitter.com/angie_rasmussen/status/1497692666997329923?t=99P1PTfJ5NBV5I8cIR2KNA&s=19

This should end all lab leak speculation. It won't, but it should.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

First paper on the subject I saw from a quick Google https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-022-01816-0

quote:

Our findings indicate that vaccines may lower transmission risk and therefore have a public health benefit beyond the individual protection from severe disease.
So it's not like vaccination does nothing, but when you look at the data in the paper, while the difference between vax and unvax is significant in a statistical sense, it's also not huge and vaxed can still spread at least some.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

TheSlutPit posted:

I’m not disagreeing with the gist of this, but wasn’t proning a fairly known and standard treatment from the beginning? I remember reading about it even during the early 2020 outbreaks in NYC/Italy as a effective method of treating patients who were at or near needing to be vented.
Yeah, IIRC at the very beginning there was a feeling of "this is totally different than anything we've seen and we can't use our usual respiratory distress techniques," but proning and steroids were standard care by the middle of summer, I think. Certainly well before the first Winter peak.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

Cimber posted:

From what I had remembered, back in the early days of the pandemic the virus was water based, so having a mask stopped the spray of particles.
COVID has always been airborne, it's just that the infectious disease community believed garbage about droplets vs aerosols for 60+ years

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

This, from Wired https://www.wired.com/story/the-teeny-tiny-scientific-screwup-that-helped-covid-kill/

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

First step for approval of variant boosters is done.

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1564984619849719808?t=5OjN9eEPB3P6SaQ0tHtiCw&s=19

Jethro fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 31, 2022

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

Dick Trauma posted:

How do you know which type of booster you're scheduling? At CVS it doesn't seem to specify, or is the new booster the only kind out there?
Authorization for the OG booster was removed when the Bivalent booster was approved, so at least in theory no one should be giving the old one anymore

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

Zapf Dingbat posted:

So is anyone treating this new shot as an excuse to ease up on their own personal level of caution? 2.5 years of not dining indoors has made me want to dehumanize myself and face to bloodshed.
I've got mine, but even after my wife gets it (hopefully my two kids under 12 aren't left out for too long this time), I doubt we'll be changing anything until we see some extremely promising real world data. And maybe not even then. We barely made any changes in that nice period last spring/summer when vaccines had put a huge dent in numbers but Delta hadn't kicked in yet.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

Well, Covid finally hit our household. We suspect the little one picked it up at the ER last weekend when they had some abdominal pain (turned out they were pretty badly constipated). Wife and oldest child are still negative, but I just tested positive last night. It extra sucks because we had been homeschooling our oldest for the past two years, but with the little one old enough for kindergarten we figured it was time to get them both back in a social environment. The little one tested positive the night after their third day. Fortunately their fever already broke and they've been pretty full of energy. Now I just have to figure out how to get my Paxlovid picked up.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

Jethro posted:

Well, Covid finally hit our household. We suspect the little one picked it up at the ER last weekend when they had some abdominal pain (turned out they were pretty badly constipated). Wife and oldest child are still negative, but I just tested positive last night. It extra sucks because we had been homeschooling our oldest for the past two years, but with the little one old enough for kindergarten we figured it was time to get them both back in a social environment. The little one tested positive the night after their third day. Fortunately their fever already broke and they've been pretty full of energy. Now I just have to figure out how to get my Paxlovid picked up.

Trip report: Paxlovid gives you a bad taste in your mouth all day. Fortunately I finished my course yesterday and I tested negative earlier today. Wife and older one managed to avoid getting sick all week. The little one is still testing positive, but tomorrow is day 10 after symptoms, so she can go back to school next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

Other than the reason why I don't have to worry about getting a shot for 6 months, I'm kinda glad I don't have to worry about getting a shot for 6 months.