Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/NICKIMINAJ/status/1437532566945341441

lmao i gotta give props to this guy trying to blame getting chlamydia from cheating on his girl on the vaccine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
can someone please inform me what the risk is involving prescribing boosters when the benefits may not be needed? Like what negative event is the FDA preventing by limiting boosters?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

mod sassinator posted:

They never addressed this directly in the entire meeting. The voting members in their rationale kept talking about theoreticals like, "well does this mean we have to boost every 6 months?" or just fell back on "I need more data". No one seemed to make a simple cost-benefit analysis of the risk of boosting vs. the impact of reducing disease and transmission.

So there isn't actually a potential negative event being prevented? There's no legit medical risk that over-prescribing boosters presents?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Big Slammu posted:

Can someone please post the latest on how Delta causes brain damage and how it’s statistically different from a major viral non-covid infection that affects other people. Seems like it’s still the boogieman gripping everyone in this thread but I’m just not buying it. Maybe it’s because I’ve already had Covid and have cognitive dissonance and don’t feel any different than before even though I am now statistically dumber. Oh well. If I get covid again will I be even dumber?

people tend to be really loving cautious about potentially life-altering consequences.

Like, lets say you have 2% of a chance to experience "long covid" in a way that causes cognitive impairment

...do you really want to see how lucky you are? sure 1 in 50 is hella unlikely, but uh, hella unlikely russian roulette still has the filled chamber

To be succinct, some people really dont want to test their luck

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

StrangeThing posted:

No. But it definitely makes me think we should get rid of rules that make no sense.

okay for real do you understand the difference between taking a particular set of circumstances in microcosm, and a state having to craft a set of laws that will be applied to the entire citizenry?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

freebooter posted:

Speaking of "outside" I think you need to go there for a bit

yeah cant believe this guy is shouting alarm over and over again about a virus that does a 9/11 a day every day. like calm down its not gonna kill you

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

StrangeThing posted:

Yes you can.

the 6 feet thing is absolutely not something you should rely on for any sort of protection. covid doesnt have an aggro radius of exactly 6 feet. you are playing a game of numbers every time you engage in social activity, and if we end up having to "live with it", eventually you are going to lose

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The fact the virus is real is exactly why there is plenty to talk about without fanciful fanfiction making up fake news to talk about

it is extremely lmao that you of all people think you have any ground to stand on when it comes to posting quality in this thread

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

poll plane variant posted:

Yeah it's the percentage of people exposed who got covid, if you compare 93% to 89% I'm not seeing much of a difference.

i think using the victims of the carceral state as a rubric for anything is highly inadvisable, there are plenty of obvious circumstances that make prisoners uniquely vulnerable to covid

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Fritz the Horse posted:

some snips. The attack rate is over a one-month outbreak.

The takeaway here should be "prisons are loving terrible and prison guards are assholes who refuse to get vaccinated" and not "vaccines don't work"

edit:

ffs look at all the NPI and quarantine measures they took. you didn't bother to even glance at the publication, you are just completely making poo poo up

that's lovely but it's not "true zero NPI" and I have no idea how you contain a Delta outbreak in a prison.

were the npi measures independently verified or are they self-reported by the prisons? because if its the latter i feel like you have to include a huge loving grain of salt about it

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/yaneerbaryam/status/1443421052948914180

The PRC is genuinely committed to, and capable of, zero COVID for the long haul

must be nice to live in a country where the government can actually do things :sigh:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

How are u posted:

The only way out is through.

this "way out" is to suffer and die, especially for the vulnerable, just fyi

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1446280306814816261

:confuoot: i guess???

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

dalstrs posted:

Has there been any news of new variants of worry after Delta? I saw a couple in the news a few weeks ago but nothing recent has sounded alarming.

from what i have read, currently delta is outcompeting all the new variants--Mu was recently eradicated in america i believe

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
any chance we can make twitter covid personalities into its own thread and stop trying to rubberneck twitter drama in the thread about the virus?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1465311406828539917?t=u9jqHCgUaS36c14EXRr_TA&s=19

Anyone know offhand if the prc has backed up vaccine promises before? This could be a real big deal is they follow through

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It has to work, though. How long until we know that?

regardless of its efficacy it will have to go through clinical trials

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Alctel posted:

Isn't 2 shots of an mRNA vaccine insanely effective at stopping you getting hospitalised/dead even against omicron, and three shots means you have excellent protection against even getting it

why would they gently caress around doing a special bespoke one, that makes no sense

some of you are acting as if the vaccines have suddenly stopped working

You are completely incorrect regarding infection. Even with a booster, if you get exposed to omicron repeatedly, you're going to contract it sooner or later

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/_cingraham/status/1473687815158435841?t=4R_shQhwPq41LrEQCtJqYw&s=19

Jesus :catstare: Is this sort of drop unprecedented?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
xpost:

https://twitter.com/isaacstanbecker/status/1474103343828156419

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/12/the-biden-administration-rejected-an-october-proposal-for-free-rapid-tests-for-the-holidays

quote:

The plan called for an estimated 732 million tests per month, a number that would require a major ramp-up of manufacturing capacity. It also recommended, right on the first page, a nationwide “Testing Surge to Prevent Holiday COVID Surge.”
[...]
The plan, in effect, was a blueprint for how to avoid what is happening at this very moment—endless lines of desperate Americans clamoring for tests in order to safeguard holiday gatherings, just as COVID-19 is exploding again. Yesterday, President Biden told David Muir of ABC News, “I wish I had thought about ordering” 500 million at-home tests “two months ago.” But the proposal shared at the meeting in October, disclosed here for the first time, included a “Bold Plan for Impact” and a provision for “Every American Household to Receive Free Rapid Tests for the Holidays/New Year.”
Three days after the meeting, on October 25, the COVID-19 testing experts—who hailed from the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, the Rockefeller Foundation, the COVID Collaborative, and several other organizations—received a back channel communication from a White House official. Their big, bold idea for free home tests for all Americans to avoid a holiday surge, they were told, was dead.
[...]
The fury with which public-health experts greeted Psaki’s comments reflected their longstanding frustration with an administration that, in their view, has put almost all its focus on vaccinating the American public, at the expense of other critical aspects of the response, from getting shots into arms overseas to making high-quality masks widely available. The rapid-test push, in particular, seems to have bumped up against the peculiar challenges of fighting COVID-19 in the 21st-century United States. Difficulties include a regulatory gauntlet intent on vetting devices for exquisite sensitivity, rather than public-health utility; a medical fiefdom in which doctors tend to view patient test results as theirs alone to convey; and a policy suspicion, however inchoate, that too many rapid tests might somehow signal to wary Americans that they could test their way through the pandemic and skip vaccinations altogether. “It’s undeniable that [the administration] took a vaccine-only approach,” said Dr. Michael Mina, a vocal advocate for rapid testing who attended the October White House meeting. The U.S. government “didn’t support the notion of testing as a proper mitigation tool.”

christ the admin bungled this so loving bad. i don't know how to describe this attitude of "shots in arms is all you need" as anything but a lesser form of covid-denialism

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It’s better for society if less people die.

If it spreads faster it’s even more of a relief if it’s less deadly,

It’s not like anyone in this thread got to pick that it spreads faster.

Oocc you do get that the problem is that there is an absolute number of cases that healthcare systems can tolerate before widespread disruption and/or collapse right

if omicron's increased transmissibility causes it to breach that number then its base lethality ceases to matter

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Mellow Seas posted:

“Up to” working vastly harder than even that -60 on the Y axis was.

Like I know they’re young and world class athletes but at this point like of the pro sports leagues have been in and out of Covid protocols and almost none have had a noticeable decline - and considering the level they play at even a slight decline in physical ability would be very noticeable.

We can’t ignore the long term effects of Covid but that’s not a reason to overstate them by an order of magnitude.

Um are you familiar at all with what Myles Garrett has spoken about regarding long covid?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The original point is right, sports would notice 20% of people becoming debilitated

Best not to ask questions about the current NFL season

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

How are u posted:

So if omi ends up overwhelming the health are systems, do yall think we will see new rules sending the unvaxinated to the end of the line?

To declare a punitive exception to triage is not only counter to the entire concept of triage, it flies in the face of the Hippocratic Oath itself.

Let me know how you think it will go to tell medical professionals that their profession is now driven by the philosophy of spite

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/larmbrust/status/1474223059842256899?t=T1NVgSzcMqMqpSn_m-IyMQ&s=19

God this country is so hosed

Lmao

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2021/12/27/cdc-reduces-isolation-time-for-people-with-covid-to-5-days/

quote:

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — U.S. health officials on Monday cut isolation restrictions for Americans who catch the coronavirus from 10 to five days, and similarly shortened the time that close contacts need to quarantine.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention officials said the guidance is in keeping with growing evidence that people with the coronavirus are most infectious in the two days before and three days after symptoms develop.

The decision also was driven by a recent surge in COVID-19 cases, propelled by the Omicron variant.

Early research suggests omicron may cause milder illnesses than earlier versions of the coronavirus. But the sheer number of people becoming infected — and therefore having to isolate or quarantine — threatens to crush the ability of hospitals, airlines and other businesses to stay open, experts say.

CDC Director Rochelle Walensky said the country is about to see a lot of Omicron cases.

“Not all of those cases are going to be severe. In fact many are going to be asymptomatic,” she told The Associated Press on Monday. “We want to make sure there is a mechanism by which we can safely continue to keep society functioning while following the science.”

What a complete loving disgrace

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

How are u posted:

If the infection is milder and everyone is getting it anyways then this seems fairly practical. We need to keep society running, after all.

The reasoning is not that omicron is milder, but rather that omicron is spreading too quickly and a longer isolation period is impractical

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

There being a known cure for “long Covid” would be news as well.

Are you aware that shitloads of money is devoted to getting athletes back into playing shape after any injury or ailment

Money that absolutely will not be available for the average person.

Anyway:

https://twitter.com/TheLeadCNN/status/1475623194954506242?t=-rJqNDiSRY16KVN8fPb-ow&s=19

I'm glad that we're dispensing with the deception and admitting that our health response is driven by the need to protect Number

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
forgive me if this was already discussed in the thread

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/12/28/cdc-drops-omicron-prevalence-estimate-526210

quote:

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention significantly revised its model of the breakdown of Covid-19 variants on Tuesday, estimating the Omicron strain accounted for about 58.6 percent of U.S. cases as of Dec. 25.

The public health agency’s previous estimate that the rapidly spreading variant accounted for 73.2 percent of cases nationwide on Dec. 18 is now revised down to 22.5 percent — a significant drop that falls outside the agency's earlier 95 percent prediction interval, or likely range where future analysis will fall, of 34 to 94.9 percent of all cases.
[...]
The CDC’s revised Dec. 25 model includes a narrower confidence range of Omicron's prevalence: 41.5 to 74 percent. The agency’s current model suggests that the Delta variant still represents 41.1 percent of U.S. infections. CDC updates the model weekly.

“Setting aside the question of how the initial estimate was so inaccurate, if CDC’s new estimate of Omicron prevalence is precise then it suggests that a good portion of the current hospitalizations we’re seeing from Covid may still be driven by Delta infections,” former FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb tweeted Tuesday.

if this can be taken at face value, i'd say this calls the CDC's revised guidance into question in two ways. First, if a significant amount of the caseload is "just" plain old delta, then the shortened isolation period threatens to vastly increase the spread of delta. Secondly, the degree to which the CDC was off in its estimates of omicron's spread seems to validate the concerns that their revision was too hasty in the first place (though I will admit this concern is far more oblique than the first)

i'll fully cop to my preexisting bias being that the CDC is being driven by economic concerns, rather than public health concerns, so maybe my interpretation is too harsh.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/AndrewMakeTweet/status/1475931315115466752

uh, sorry to ask this thread to source check for me, but is this guy remotely credible?

i am 100% cynical about the cdc's actions and this feels too out there even for me

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Dec 29, 2021

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

It communicates zero new information other than an anonymously sourced "CDC staff" who somehow believes they should know of national guidance changes in advance.

again, i cannot comment on the credibility of the source, but taken at face value, personnel being asked to scientifically justify a decision only after the fact seems pretty loving sketch to me

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Professor Beetus posted:

Some of you are running at like, an 11, so here's a good example of a post that asks questions while actually fostering good discussion. Notice that A big flaming stink isn't calling anyone an idiot, isn't painting themselves or a twitter moron as a subject of authority, and appears to genuinely seeking a conversation about the CDC guidance in a non-confrontational way. Be more like A big flaming stink, because nothing anyone says here matters wrt to public policy and we're all in the same boat, whether we agree or not.

Maybe one day people will respond to my nonconfrontational posts :smith:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/libbycwatson/status/1476270956901539850

well, this is the sort of deeply dismaying thing I have been fearing regarding the CDC's backing for the updated guidance.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

How are u posted:

Any day now? No, no I don't think so. I'm pretty convinced that within 5-10 years China will be living with endemic Covid just like the rest of the world, though.

this is a bit off-topic, but im curious, what you would need to see to revise this stance? Or, have you simply determined that endemic covid is an inevitability and there is nothing that china can do that could convince you that they will remain a zero covid nation?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

freebooter posted:

In some ways I admire your dogmatism on this, but if Australia and New Zealand with all their wealth and resources and geographic isolation could not, in the end, manage to locally eliminate Delta, then I don't understand how you think Afghanistan and India and the Democratic Republic of the Congo (etc) will.

it will require a global commitment to cooperation and the common good.

so completely and utterly impossible lmao

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

IT BEGINS posted:

Even as someone who was (is?) pro-lockdown, it's hard to want to put yourself through more of the same from the last two years. I'd love to pretend that government policy could have saved us here in the US, but with so little trust in government as a whole, I don't see how any policy, no matter how harsh, would have actually worked. If there is no will, there is no way.

As a separate mini-vent, it sucks to feel like you're part of one big prisoner's dilemma, only you know the other person is going to betray, every time.

I think it could have been accomplished if there was an actual commitment to the idea of shared sacrifice, but instead we just got got exhorted to do our part while the rich and the powerful did jack poo poo to actually demonstrate their commitment. Not to mention the gov broadcasted from day one that they were only grudgingly providing material support, and half-hearted at that.

Anyway, a real loving grim outlook from the CDC for the next month:

https://twitter.com/donwinslow/status/1476357832110792708?t=5hUJW--q9j9YSPRff1GxqQ&s=19

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Fritz the Horse posted:

i'm very sorry that twitter account does not meet the scholarly standards of D&D covid thread. the OP made the foolish mistake of assuming that the subject would be interesting to talk about, but thank you all for making it clear nothing has changed and this remains one of the most toxic threads in the entire forums.

Don Winslow (born October 31, 1953) is an American author[1] and liberal political activist most recognized for his crime and mystery novels. Many of his books are set in California. Five of his novels feature private investigator Neal Carey. He has also co-written screenplays for Savages, Satori, and other adaptations of his novels with screenwriter/producer Shane Salerno.

I remain steadfast in my assessment that uspol is one of the worst threads on sa :colbert:

This thread is genuinely interesting by comparison!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Here’s the actual CDC death forecast site, which should be read with extreme care given that it’s a death forecasting site:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/forecasting/forecasting-us.html#anchor_1587397564229

It’s too late at night for me to dig through all the applicable caveats, but the reported forecast number doesn’t match the tweet above.

Oh cool, thanks a bunch for the source dv.

admittedly I'm just eyeballing it but it seems like the CDC is forecasting total deaths to rise from 825ish to 860ish in the next 2 and a half weeks, so it seems in line with what the guy is saying at first blush

Jaxyon posted:

I don't know what your issue is right now but I'm probably not the person you're trying to be mad at, and asking for backup when someone cites death numbers as a fiction author who is linking to the wrong CDC with no other source seemed pretty reasonable at the time. Is there any reason it's not?

Oh uh, I did not intend to come off as mad, sorry if I gave that impression :shobon:. I have nothing against fritz or you and enjoy your posting.

See above for the numbers sourcing which discendo was kind enough to provide

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Dec 30, 2021

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Dude your making a shitpost but EMS has seen extreme high rates of suicide in the last year, healthcare has a whole has.

yeah uh

what happens when healthcare is in such a state that every single hcw is either burnt out, driven out by the crushing nature of the job, or dead/disabled from the job?

like, can there be a point at whcih the industry collapses because no one wants to work anymore because working is literal hell?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Kalit posted:

What do you mean by “huge return on investment”? And do you have a source for both of these claims?

i think they mean that incentivizing people to remain at home and not continue to spread covid is absolutely worth the cost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Kalit posted:

Since you want to speak to this, which makes me think you’re supporting it, do you have a source that states fully vaccinated/boosted/masked individuals in the same room are always subject to infect each other? Regardless of time? That’s literally the only way I could see shutting down all retail makes sense…

i interpreted it as "if you remove a major reason for people to interact with others in public, then that will dramatically slow the spread"