Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

Platystemon posted:

I’m embedding the tweet because the analogy is good, but the main thing here is to click through and be horrified at the state of UK guidance.

https://twitter.com/ProfEmer/status/1437309203828334596

Type IIR is basically a three‐ply surgical mask. No tight fit, no particulate rating. And even this is only supposed to be worn when dealing with a symptomatic person.

I've got to say that the conversation about masks does seem completely different in the US compared to here in the UK. Outside of medical environments there is zero conversation about mask quality, nor anyone really talking about it masking as an issue generally. It's still a recommendation for close inside events, but in practice I only really see it in shops and public transport. It doesn't it seems quite as hotly contested issue as in the US, but that might be just because the fringe anti-maskers are slightly smaller proportion and not quite as vocal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Theres been posts about Israel having compelling data showing that protection against severe disease drops a compelling amount after 6 months, but I cant find it anywhere. Does anyone have a link to this data?

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
I guess the argument is that for every booster given to someone under the age of 60 in the US, it's one vaccine that other countries who still have vulnerable people who haven't had any at all. And, I haven't got the sums on it, but the UK's vaccine authority hasn't recommended any vaccines for children under 12 as the potential saving effect from the vaccine is almost equal to the very very rate of serious effects, so you'd imagine that as the third booster has a much more limited benefit, the line where the risk equals the benefits is going to be higher than 12 (but obviously lot lower than 60).

Glad to know the only data so far is an increase of severe disease for over 60s, that was all I could see as well and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some my dystopian data somewhere.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

freebooter posted:

I don't know about Canada but I'm pretty sure the British government did this purely to try to get the first dose numbers up as high as possible as fast as possible so they could reopen sooner, and the fact that a longer dose interval turned out to be more efficacious was sheer luck.
It wasnt quite this, it was because we were being absoultely murdered by case numbers coming into Winter and decided it was better to get 10 million old people single vacced rather than 5 million old people double vaxxed, to reduce deaths. There was also the completely botched Astrazenca trial which ended up with long dosage gaps because someone hosed up, but gave some indication that long gaps work better, which is how they justified it.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Mainland Europe is just following the UK's trajectory, but with a 3 month delay.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
No quite sterilisation, but wouldn't a 3rd booster be enough if highly vaccinated now, to get near that magical Herd immunity threshold?

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1460313047529103365

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

enki42 posted:

Iceland is 77% vaccinated according to https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/world/covid-vaccinations-tracker.html

Super high for sure, but not anywhere near high enough to say conclusively that herd immunity is a pipe dream.

The most vaccinated country on earth now is the U.A.E. at 90%, followed by Portugal at 83%.

The UAE certainly appears to have a pretty good recent trajectory, although it's way too soon to conclude they have herd immunity. Portugal is also quite low but cases are rising since all restrictions were dropped. Whether they go full Denmark or Netherlands is an open question right now.

Also none of that is taking into account boosters. If COVID vaccination ends up being a 3 dose regimen that has some longevity (or even a 2 dose, but those 2 doses need to be 6 months apart), then even the most vaccinated countries have something like 30% vaccination right now.
It's not just that, it's also the efficency of the vaccines as well. If we're at 90% of people vaccinated with 2 doses, but 2 say 2 doses is around 80% effective against symptomatic disease, and 3 doses is around 90%, then simply boosting may be enough to get us there if we're currently short.

Operative word being may, as it may not be enough even then, but it's a possibility that boosting will be enough to start to kill the case numbers.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

mod sassinator posted:

Are you reading incorrect data or perhaps have a faulty view of what's happening? Here's the average case rate in the UK for the last few months:

This does not appear to be falling, in either the micro level of last week or macro level of months. :confused:

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-cases

The cases has been started to fall until a few days ago when they picked up again from the return to school, and the old data was been reported in the BBC with a delay, which may be where the misaprehension that they were falling now comes from.

So, I think the context here is that the level of cases are similar now to last November, except last November we were in a lockdown with nothing open and work from home ordered, and this November pretty much everything is open as it was in 2019. Some people mask up for a bit in shops, but that's pretty much the only place I ever seen them, and even mass events are open. The progression is despite this, the caseload is no higher than when we were in lockdown, because of the vaccines.

Now, digging into the data deeper, the peeks in the recent case are pretty much timed with term-time at schools, because the biggest increase comes from school kids at the moment who haven't been administered the vaccine. There's also some suggestion that the erosion of protection against symptoms decreasing over time from the 2nd dose is pretty much keeping pace with the effect of people who are infected getting temporary immunity through it, which is why the numbers seem to be pretty stable since full opening in June. So, the vaccine at the moment isn't good enough to drop cases completely in an environment where everything is currently open... however, the 3rd dose is increasing the effeciency above even where it was under the 2nd dose, so there is a potential that once that has gone through the age groups, then the limits will be high enough to start to decrease the cases.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
I'm optimistic as the next person, but what did countries think banning travellers from ONE specific country is going to do to stop a spread. It's not like they're shut off from other ways out of the country. What a pointless decision.

We'll get better date about severity and ability to evade vaccines soon enough. Take it seriously, but don't panic until we know a little more about it.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

freebooter posted:

Surely what South Africa has is a high rate of people with HIV/AIDS, which is the exact opposite?

Yes. This is a dramatic change to where I was mentally six months ago, corresponding to Australia's COVID-zero dam being breached, and it wasn't an easy adjustment to make. But in some senses I think it might have been easier for me than for Americans or Europeans who were more or less abandoned by their governments from the get-go: I know that we tried, we really, really did, but in the end it just wasn't possible to keep it out forever. I'm still worried about my immunocompromised partner and my elderly relatives, but I know that they're all vaccinated, and again, that we live in a country that's doing everything it takes to try to minimise and control spread so that hospitals never get overloaded. Which, again, I think probably makes a lot of difference in accepting the inevitable.
There is definitely a change in my mentality, from early in the pandemic where I developed anxiety attacks about it, until now which is much more reflective. Having caught and had Covid as well as two vaccines now probably helps.

I think the real problem that no-one is discussing here is that it's not so much an impending doom for the Western world of people who are on their third booster or boosting their 5 years old, but for the undeveloped world who haven't had their 1st shot a much more transmissable virus is going to decimate them like Mexico/Brazil.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Some food for thought.

https://twitter.com/BallouxFrancois/status/1469733674426023936
Potential burn out of Omicron in SA.

https://twitter.com/AlastairGrant4/status/1469783292522156040
We don't have enough figures still to really understand severity claims.

Anyway, I got a text invite from my GP surgery from a booster yesterday, which is odd as I'm not eligible here in the UK. (33, no high risk conditions). I can't call them to check, and my mate who was high risk and got his done a few months ago said someone who went there got turned away for not being eligible even though they got an invite, so will need to call them on Monday and see whether this was a mistake or not. Either way, 2 PFizer + Infection seems to be as good as 3 MRNA jabs for protection this coming wave, so if I can't and have to wait til February it isn't the end of the world, and if it is genunine then it's a Christmas bonus.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Someone in the UK has died from Omicron. Now, that doesn't really effect the severity assumptions yet as we don't know really what their condition is and of how many infections, but I guess we can stop saying, 'No-one has died from Omicron'.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1471193909007106050

Big interesting chain here on latest UK data.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
I don't know where it has or not, because the UK Trajectory over the last 3 days has been nothing like it's been the last few weeks.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Or because that after the first two waves, immunity from previous infection and vaccinations and dampening the likliness of severe disease.

I think we're still a few weeks from having data to be sure either way on severity, tbh.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Yeah, you can make a fair argument that there is a delay between deaths and infection, but unless there is no a bigger delay between deaths and infections than there was before, those graphs are defintely not indentical any more. Not saying that this couldn't change in the future, or that there could be fault data, or all number of thing that might come out because it's early. It also isn't evidence that the infection is now causing less serious infections, as it could equally just be that higher amounts of immunity from vaccines and past infections is dampening the effect on serious illness.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

If Omicron has greater vaccine evasion or reinfection risk, couldn't a higher number of mild cases caused by symptomatic vaccinated/previously infected people seeking testing (who with Delta might not have been infected or developed symptoms) push down the case-hospitalization rate despite the individual risk of severe disease staying the same (or even increasing)?

There was a good tweet James Ward about the fact that if you suddenly see a massive increase in case numbers, hospitalisation percentage will always go down, because you've suddenly got loads of people who arent at the stage where you know they will either be hospitalised or not proportionatley. Something to watch once case numbers have levelled and after the delay.

Weasling Weasel fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Dec 18, 2021

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Be interesting if that can still be possible with Omicrons infectiousness though.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Yeah, after I was infected in July and then after my second jab in August, I felt very comfortable doing daily activities like Cinema, football, gym even with a baseline covid infection rate. Less so now that Omicron has skyrocketed cases though.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Yes, but the UK study today draws the conclusions from the sata that its probably about 10-30% less likely to cause severe disease than Delta, even after accounting for higher vaccination status/previous infections.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
I mean it's a case of seperating of it being a worse outcome for society as a whole (Maybe... the maybe being that cases seems to now be levelling and dropping potentially now, and hospitalisations are still far lower than last year from a UK perspective, so it could entirely be a case that the reduction in severity after vaccinations included is a much bigger benefit than the higher case load) and a better outcome from you personally (ie. it is better for you to catch Omicron than it is for you to catch Delta).

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
The big UK Cases peak for Delta in 2020 started on the 12th December from around 19k cases, to 29th December peaking at 81k cases per day. The hospitalisations start to see rapid growth from Christmas day - around 2000 to 4000 by the 4th Jan, which at the point the Healthcare system was starting to really reach breaking point.

The big UK cases peak for Omicron started in 2021 started on the 11th December from 46k per day to now where we're around 120k per day. Based on that, we're around the time that hospitilisations will start to grow rapidly based on the delay. They're current at 1000, up from 750ish in October, but they were also at around 1000 during August despite vaccinations being completed by that point as a whole. At the moment, there hasn't been any significant growth to hospitlisations above the baseline we were currently suffering from Delta yet, but I guess it'll be obvious within the next week whether that holds true or not.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
https://twitter.com/JamesWard73/status/1475947093550317575

TLDR: Seems like even counting for vaccinations, Omicron is causing less hospitilisations per case than Delta. People requiring ventiliation has hardly changed from the numbers pre-Omicron.

Unrelated, but the UK seems to have run out of all types of tests however, which is less good news.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
https://twitter.com/miamalan/status/1476535918781734912

Interesting stuff on Omicron, in terms of a demonstration of its reduction in severity compared to Delta/Alpha, other than in under 20s where they doesn't seem to be a reduction in severity at all (though, this will be at a much lower base than the rest of the populatoin at large)

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The statistic used seems really weird: "The proportion of hospitalised individuals aged <20 years who had severe disease was 22.5% (69/306), 23.0% (37/161) and 20.4% (172/844) in the three waves. "

Like it specifically being hospitalized patients feels weird. Like what does that statistic intuitively mean? Is there a world where 100% of patients hospitalized with covid are not severe? why are they hospitalized at all then? Is it a with/of thing where they are just random kids in the hospital getting covid incidentally and the stat is "well if you are sick enough to be in the hospital you have about a 1/5th chance of falling severely ill if you get covid". Or is it like, hospitalized of covid and the hospitals like to keep around 80% of the beds open for less critical but still bad cases and it's just a policy thing?
In the thread, the definition of severe was suffering from one of the following :
- Acute respiratory distress
- Oxygen supplementation
- Ventilation
- Intensive care unit admission
- Death

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

Karl Barks posted:

I think it's because people realize harsh lockdown measures happening in the US are totally unrealistic, especially at this point, and cope in other ways than righteous fantasies
I don't think that it's that, it's more that the data with Omicron has changed which means some of this is true in a way that it wasn't before. It was obvious ludicurous to claim that Covid was similar to flu in outcome in March 2020 pre-vaccinations, it's not when you're looking at Omicron infecetions in triple-vaccinated individuals. This doesn't make the Chuds right in retrospect at a time where Covid was killing 1 in 100 people it affected.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

speng31b posted:

All of UK isn't looking so bad yet but hospitalizations in London aren't looking great by the numbers. The hospitalizations in NY/NJ are a bit steeper but I don't think I'd look at what's happening in London and see it as great news quite yet.

e: also i think lower case detections in London/UK lately might not be great news but owing to the massive test shortages

There are two arguments you can make about this, or have been in the news. Firstly, the rate of discharge is effected by Christmas, so the numbers might be distorted, but that does mean we don't really know what the actual situation is, bad or good. Secondly, while Hospitilisations have started to move around the 3rd December where the curve starts, both mechanical ventilation beds and deaths are so much flatter comparatively. I know people will make an argument about delays, but we talking about a month now since the hospital figures started to curve.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare?areaType=nhsRegion%26areaName=London#card-patients_in_mechanical_ventilation_beds

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Uk Omicron case wave may have peaked. 17% fall on the 7 day average. https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.01.11.22269045v1
This is a pre-print, but it does say exactly that. Rate of hospitilisation is about 48% compared to Delta, ventilation and death is about 26% and 9% of risk compared to Delta. I know, before anyone says, that Death is not the only thing to worry about, but this pretty much follows everything else we thought we knew about Omicron until now.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Well, in the UK, cases seems to have peaked and are turning down, though too early to say what the baseline they'll drop to, and also hospitilisations for people suffering primarily from covid have even started to drop in London and places infect first, so it's not entirely unreasonable that the US peak is a few more weeks away.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Uk cases finally dropped underneath 100,000 today.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/cases?areaType=overview%26areaName=United%20Kingdom#card-cases_by_specimen_date

It is very much looking like it's following the South Africa pattern now, with deaths still not really having increased massively.
https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths#card-daily_deaths_with_covid-19_on_the_death_certificate_by_date_of_death

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
UK cases continue to fall, now at a 40% decrease on the 7 day average from the previous week. Hopsitals numbers have stabilised, and maybe even started to decline (first reduction on the 7 day average has appeared on the dashboard) and deaths are continue to follow following the normal delay. With the Omicron variant at least, it appears the UK is now coming through it.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
I don't understand what a clade is. Are these forms that are already circulating, because if so they'll already be included in the falling case figures.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Ok, so the point is that it's had a lot of evolutions and off-shoots, but if none have evolved to be particularly more transmittable or deadly, is that an issue? At this rate the cases will have fallen off completed before the end of January, and yes a more deadly or transmittable variant can absolutely happen again for sure, but it's not currently and the impact is that cases are dropping rapidly now, much like they did in South Africa, and without a massive increase in deaths that was expected with a wave this big due to the power of the vaccines and boosters.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
UK cases continue to drop as rapidly as they rose in December. Down almost 50% in 7 days now. Taken about 6 weeks to get through to pre-Omicron levels from start to finish.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Boosters are helping in the UK as well, particuarly with the higher risk groups targeting. The growth has slow down though, so will be interesting to see where it levels out to.

And no, saying that Omicron is milder than Delta isn't causing American's to die in record numbers, I think you'll find it's the disease and vaccine misinformation which is doing that.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Does mean getting your pet forcefully euthanised though.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
It's hard to tell what's going on due to an uneven testing policies, but UK case levels are now back to pre-omicron levels without any NPI's in place. (Positivity is 11% vs the sub 10% it sat at pre-Omicron). The omicron wave cause a fraction of the deaths during that period that it had during previous variant waves https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths#card-weekly_deaths_with_covid-19_on_the_death_certificate_by_date_registered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Based on the ONS survey, which is probably the only measurable level of it now in the UK, we're down at pre omicron levels now.